• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Competing Online Is A Joke

snerd

Smash Cadet
Wifi isn't the problem as long as you have a good signal. Its just cause its a fighting game so even the smallest bit of lag will be noticed.
QFT.

still it's annoying.
i personly can't really airdodge online - powershielding online seems almost impossible.
play a game online, and RIGHT after that a game offline.
HUGE difference

Tenki

Smash Hero
._.;

If you want to get good with online Brawl, play more of it.
If you want to play better offline, play offline.

They're like... different games.

The problem is that alot of people expect to play online the same way they play offline. Then they john about it.

I'm not really that good at smash brothers, and a lot of the people who really beat the hell out of me just combo me to oblivion because they know what buttons to press ahead of time. I definitely appreciate this skill and honor the players capable of excuting some of the stuff they pull off
That kind of movement is what online play is made of, especially if one or both of you have slow connections. It's a different mindset when you play online, and you usually have to think ahead, not just of your opponent, but your own moves, too.

Being able to pull an opener in the beginning of a fight despite the opening lag, then transitioning to a low/no-lag rest-of-the-fight is something that someone with lots of online experience can pull off and respond to easily.

Whatever, :[ most people just suck at playing online. Like you haven't played an MMO FPS before >_>

Calixto

Smash Apprentice
I've noticed that the lag really depends on who you play with. With some people I play with there is minimal lag, and with some people the lag will just not go away. Probably something to do with that DMZ stuff.

You really have to spend like a day trying to get the hang of online play, and you can't deviate with offline play, or you'll have to start all over again. You really gotta get a groove for playing online, develop a different kind of playstyle for your character.

Unfortunate really.

francophile16

Smash Rookie
YEah input lag changes the entire approach to the game. e.g. I cannot play with Zelda online for some reason, so I'm starting to use IC.

But I;ve experiences the same amount of lag with anyone I play (over friends). Only when I play "With Anyone" do I experience serious lag

Dekar

Smash Apprentice
I think those of us (particularly us that played melee competitively and waited for this stupid game to come out) are the ones that are royally screwed.

The ones of us that took 7 years to build up our technical skills so that we can instant tech/smash DI a marth forward smash at 150% or above, were ****ed.

The button lag is FAR FAR worse then any frame lag i can think of. Its insane. And I am really dissapointed.

Not to say i didnt expect it, but still i hoped...

The people that didnt play much melee, or quit for a while before brawl came out, theyre the ones that kick my *** usually. Cause they dont need that .5 seconds near as bad as i do.

Calixto

Smash Apprentice
I think those of us (particularly us that played melee competitively and waited for this stupid game to come out) are the ones that are royally screwed.

The ones of us that took 7 years to build up our technical skills so that we can instant tech/smash DI a marth forward smash at 150% or above, were ****ed.

The button lag is FAR FAR worse then any frame lag i can think of. Its insane. And I am really dissapointed.

The people that didnt play much melee, or quit for a while before brawl came out, theyre the ones that kick my *** usually. Cause they dont need that .5 seconds near as bad as i do.

This man speaks the truth.

Tenki

Smash Hero
I sure hope they patch up these online issues, I love to play online but so much delays it gets my blood boiling.
It's not that bad if your connection isn't trash.
There will be no patches. Just internet.

._.;

If you want to get good with online Brawl, play more of it.
If you want to play better offline, play offline.

They're like... different games.

The problem is that alot of people expect to play online the same way they play offline. Then they john about it.

I'm not really that good at smash brothers, and a lot of the people who really beat the hell out of me just combo me to oblivion because they know what buttons to press ahead of time. I definitely appreciate this skill and honor the players capable of excuting some of the stuff they pull off
That kind of movement is what online play is made of, especially if one or both of you have slow connections. It's a different mindset when you play online, and you usually have to think ahead, not just of your opponent, but your own moves, too.

Being able to pull an opener in the beginning of a fight despite the opening lag, then transitioning to a low/no-lag rest-of-the-fight is something that someone with lots of online experience can pull off and respond to easily.

Whatever, :[ most people just suck at playing online. Like you haven't played an MMO FPS before >_>
no johns :|

FredTHAreD

Smash Cadet
All you guys who thought Online play was supposed to be for competitive gamers to practice their skills are funny. Its just so people who dont have other people to play the game with can play with other people. Online tourneys for Brawl are a moronic waste of time. You want real competitive play, go play a tourney, you just want to play with someone else, go play online.

Aggression

Smash Apprentice
I don't play online because it sucks. Its too laggy to play good.
I have a really bad internet connection and people like aggression have nothing but green and blue connections*

Fixed

Also use "well" instead of "good"

Most of the time I have only quarter second delay, thats nothing.

Sudsy86_

Smash Ace
I experience pretty bad lag time-to-time, but the online service has been pretty reasonable/ better than expected to me. I think anyone who disses the online play as unequivalent to "real" play, whatever the heck that is, because in the games which have lag ( which very few naturally take serious anyways) have screwed up results, are stupid. The games which have no lag are everything like playing a friend right next to you--except the fact that I would hold back my anger if my friend was next to me. Anyways, I'd love a valid explanation how legitimate online games are inferior to games literally next to opponents. Any takers?

Also, OP, I understand your problem and do sympathize with you a little bit, but it sounds like your timing is exclusively intuitive. What I mean is you feel the timing of certain game speeds and expect it to work in every case because you have no other avenues of timing, such as simply watching the area of your opponent while knowing where you are out of the corner of your eye. I usually get hit by the first projectiles/ lasers, but by then I've figured out the amount of lag ( assuming it has stayed the same) and then it's back off to the races again.; quite frankly, I often find perpetual lag ( as long as it's not as bad as one-fourth the game speed) matches hysterically funny. It's fun watching the characters' facial expressions when they've been outperformed. Plus, it's funny watching you and your opponent(s) move towards each other ready and eager to attack.

As unreasonable as it might sound, adjust your game to whatever circumstances you're in.
You sound like you are the thing limiting your play.

Pure-???

Smash Journeyman
It all depends on who you're playing against. Their connection is just as important as yours.

Lacool

Smash Rookie
Online is better than nothing, and while the lag pretty much makes any game bunk with regards to your actual skill and timing, it can at least be a good place to practice basic combos/button inputs for new strategies if you have no one offline to practice with. When I play online I just treat it like training, and practice a few techniques I want to work on. When I move back to offline the techniques are 10x easier to do without the lag and I can incorporate them into a larger, winning strategy.

brawlmaniac

Smash Lord
It's ridiculous and I'm sure Nintendo knows how bad it is for this game. Mario Kart Wii online is very smooth and there's not even any button delay either. But you can get used to the button delay if you play online a lot. I used to do that a couple months ago, right when the game came out, and eventually my timing for my attacks started to naturally change. At first the delay is annoying but after awhile you just get used to it. I agree with you though. Nintendo needs to improve the Wii's online play!

Top Bottom