• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Competative Pika - In depth report.

Kilala

Smash Rookie
I can see why Pikachu has problems with Pit and Metaknight. High comboing characters will mostly likely juggle Pikachu around since Pikachu has more power potential moves than combo moves. Plus a lot of Pikachu's moves are close range attacks, and the only effective moves against a Pit or Metaknight might be a well placed Thunder. But since we are all essentially rookies at the game so far, we can't do much else other than to speculate. I'm sure in time, there will be tactics and mindgames that will give Pikachu the advantage over the likes of Pit and Metaknight.
I've played against a Pit and Meta Knight in the same arena and it's a little difficult since they juggle around ya, but yeah a good aim with the thunder knocks their juggling act pretty solid, since Pikachu's thunder is a whole lot stronger. I continue with the same old tactic as I did in melee, grab, throw+down, smash+up and thunder to knock players like them away. Forward smashes wont kill them as easily since they have the ability to fly and glide their way back onto the stage D:

I actually love the good distance Pika's skullbash does now, you know since it does like...stop at the end, it's now more floaty XD. And yeah its like you guys say, skull bash is better a recovery move than an actual attack move, but i got to use it on someone by accident and the skull bash killed him LOL! Good Old unpredictable skull bash XD

But yeah with time practicing, there will be deadly moves for pikachu c:

TehBo49

Smash Ace
In an alternate universe, where Brawl does not suc
I've played against a Pit and Meta Knight in the same arena and it's a little difficult since they juggle around ya, but yeah a good aim with the thunder knocks their juggling act pretty solid, since Pikachu's thunder is a whole lot stronger. I continue with the same old tactic as I did in melee, grab, throw+down, smash+up and thunder to knock players like them away. Forward smashes wont kill them as easily since they have the ability to fly and glide their way back onto the stage D:
lol It's too bad u-smash got nerfed. Woulda made these matchups alot easier.

pikachun00b7

Smash Lord
I played Pikachu last week in a tourney. His Fair is probably his best aerial. It is quik, high prority. And I guess it is a good set up move. Pikachu's Fair is a great approach.

VirtualVoid

Smash Journeyman
I'm sorry in advance if this has already been posted.

A great way to edgeguard people is to jump off the stage then jump back and quickly do DownB, what you are trying to do is get the lightning to miss pikachu and the stage so it goes all the way from the top of the screen to the bottom. You can hit people that recover from below very effectively with this.

Kilala

Smash Rookie
Yeah i know what you mean XD I can only pull that off a few times, one needs time and aim to pull it off, but when it hits, there's no turning back for the opponent, it normally hurls them straight down. In melee it was a huge hit, i cant imagine in brawl since thunder is buffed up. It's Fun! :D

Slaysya

Smash Cadet
Yeah I liked to use thunder like that aswell. Even though sometimes I would barely make it to the edge lol. I also like to juggle with Ftilt 2 times, then a up tilt to keep it going.

h1roshi

Smash Hero
Kissimmee, Florida playing melee! (f*** brawl, th
I'm sorry in advance if this has already been posted.

A great way to edgeguard people is to jump off the stage then jump back and quickly do DownB, what you are trying to do is get the lightning to miss pikachu and the stage so it goes all the way from the top of the screen to the bottom. You can hit people that recover from below very effectively with this.
actually, that sounds pretty cool. i want to try that...peace

-hiro

NESJake

Smash Apprentice
after playing with pika for a while... i must say that his up smash is still really good. Maybe not as good, but it works for me. I love me some thunder flips.

JoeTang

Smash Cadet
Sorry for the double, but could someone test out this combo:

Fair(timed to end before landing)-utilt-dsmash-dB
Not sure about Up Tilt, but I do
Forward Air -> Down Tilt (x times)-> Down Smash -> Random Follow Up

I thought Thunder Edging was a pretty standard skill to have in Melee, or even 64.

Ruuku

Smash Lord
Sorry for the double, but could someone test out this combo:

Fair(timed to end before landing)-utilt-dsmash-dB
This works but there are two things you should know. First, you have to chase your opponent depending on their DI if you want to connect the d.B. Second, make sure that you leave some space between Pikachu and his d.B. Otherwise, Wolf and Fox can shine right back at you.

Top Bottom