• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Comparing Melee and Project M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hakkat

Smash Apprentice
Which one do you like better.

They are both amazing, but I can't decide which is better...

Melee had adventure, and the gameplay made it so you couldn't spam as easily as in P:M.

In P:M, all characters are good (mostly all of them) and this adds more balance and options to your character, it makes it almost seem like tiers are pointless for this game (this is a good thing)

Although the events and everything still suck, so this goes to Melee

oh and stages easily goes to P:M

Thoughts?

P.S. I'm still stuck on which has better gameplay. The characters and balance go towards P:M, but Melee still had great gameplay and may take more skill, but I'm not sure about that...

Rikana

Smash Champion
Why compare? Just play both since you like them. It's better to think of PM as an entirely new game.

Hakkat

Smash Apprentice
Why compare? Just play both since you like them. It's better to think of PM as an entirely new game.

True ^_^

I just can't decide which one I like more...or which one I'm better at xD

1MachGO

Smash Ace
Why not compare two games that are in the same series where one is inspired by gameplay elements and character designs from the other?

Not a jab at P:M of course (which is amazing). I am just not a particular fan of the "judge it on its own merit" card for games in a series.

9bit_alt

Banned via Warnings
I don't rate the single player modes in my comparison. I can see why one would, though.

Thing is, Project M will constantly evolve. Both in design and programming from the developers' side, and in the player metagame, whereas Melee can only evolve on the player side.

Hakkat

Smash Apprentice
I don't rate the single player modes in my comparison. I can see why one would, though.

Thing is, Project M will constantly evolve. Both in design and programming from the developers' side, and in the player metagame, whereas Melee can only evolve on the player side.

That is actually a great point! I never really thought of it like that.

I do think P:M is probably the superior game, especially when TURBO MODE arrives!

F. Blue

Smash Journeyman
The playerbase for Melee is a lot stronger though. That's one downside of the game constantly evolving; the players' growth is stunted.

Vashimus

Smash Master
Yeah, the only reason I go back to Melee is because of the leftover characters. Once they're added into P:M, there's little incentive for me to put that GC disc in.

D

Deleted member

Currently, it's only 90% superior to Melee. After final release, when everything has been smoothed over and the rest of the characters are added in, it will be 99% superior to Melee. If they manage to add Mewtwo back in, it will be 105% superior to Melee.

The main thing to take away from this is that P:M is superior to Melee.

Hakkat

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I agree, P:M has got to be superior...lol

and yes, they really should add Mewtwo back in...they really should

They should make him SLIGHTLY faster, a little bit heavier and a little bit less floaty

Make him stronger too. Knowing how well of a job the creators of P:M did (I was shocked when I first saw how good it was), I think that if they bring Mewtwo back, he will be epic.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Project M is superior in nearly every way. The things it's lacking will come in due time.
No point in playing Melee anymore.

Spiffykins

Smash Ace
So once the game is all polished and all the characters are released and people stop keeping tons of stupid stages legal in tournament, what are the odds of PM becoming the new Melee? Will there be too many people dedicated to Melee for PM to overtake it?

SpiderMad

Smash Master
If P:M completely overtakes Melee, that'll be a sad day. I'm probably projecting extra bias on how everyone plays Lol/Dota 2 now while Dota 1 using the Wc3 engine still feels better in every way (P:M feels better than Melee though, Brawl engine is pretty awesome in its entirety). I also hate the look of Dota 2/LoL.

DvarakElt

Smash Apprentice
There will always be Fox mains salty enough about not being able to destroy half the cast by just being faster than them. I played a guy on the weekend who ******* so hard about Ness actually being usable.

Some people will be hanging onto melee for a long time, but honestly, I don't think they're the kind of people who I want to play against anyway.

Ace55

Smash Lord
PM is far better, and I absolutely love melee.

It doesn't matter around here though. Melee players here would rather let melee slowly die than give PM a fair chance =(

Burnsy

Smash Lord
There will always be Fox mains salty enough about not being able to destroy half the cast by just being faster than them. I played a guy on the weekend who *****ed so hard about Ness actually being usable.

Some people will be hanging onto melee for a long time, but honestly, I don't think they're the kind of people who I want to play against anyway.
Oh my god, this is so true.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Brawl lovers...? I'm not sure if that's supposed to be some form of uninspired derogatory term or something, but this thread seems full of Project M lovers to me.

R2_GP

Smash Journeyman
It just annoys me how peopple say: "project m is WAY better than melee" but when a melee player says that in his opinion melee still better his a "fox main hanging onto melee for a long time". dont get me wrong Project M is awesome

Hakkat

Smash Apprentice
Brawl lovers...? I'm not sure if that's supposed to be some form of uninspired derogatory term or something, but this thread seems full of Project M lovers to me.

Yeah, I don't really like Brawl that much. I like Melee, and I love P:M. It's like a more balanced version of melee.

There will always be Fox mains salty enough about not being able to destroy half the cast by just being faster than them. I played a guy on the weekend who *****ed so hard about Ness actually being usable.

Exactly why it's more balanced :)

Tero.

Smash Champion
Melee is just THE game. It's perfect in every aspect. From physics to character Design and even the moves. Like Brawl Fox is a ****** compared to Melee Fox and even in P:M his moves just don't look as good as they do in Melee (obv using Melee Fox head in P:M)
P:M is awesome, but it'll never be the original.

HyperrCrow

Emotional Reality
Like Brawl Fox is a ****** compared to Melee Fox and even in P:M his moves just don't look as good as they do in Melee (obv using Melee Fox head in P:M)
Gotta agree with this. It looks so damn weird, I wish we could just port the Melee Fox over to P:M cause he just looks boss.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Melee is just THE game. It's perfect in every aspect. From physics to character Design and even the moves. Like Brawl Fox is a ****** compared to Melee Fox and even in P:M his moves just don't look as good as they do in Melee (obv using Melee Fox head in P:M)
If your idea of perfect character design is having more than half of the cast competitively unviable then ok...but if it isn't, then......:confused:

R2_GP

Smash Journeyman
"half of the cast competitively unviable"? c'mon man this is 2013 metagame, low tiers aren't that low anymore. Brawl seems to be way more unbalanced anyway. see apex 2013 brawl top 10

traffic.

Smash Journeyman
It just annoys me how peopple say: "project m is WAY better than melee" but when a melee player says that in his opinion melee still better his a "fox main hanging onto melee for a long time". dont get me wrong Project M is awesome
I have yet to hear an opinion explaining why melee is better. I've only ever heard that PM is bad because it's not melee, which is a logical fallacy and a lacking argument. If a melee player could explain why PM is not a better game, and use actual values of both games to compare and contrast the effect the differences have, then there would be a discussion. I have yet to hear a single argument from anyone as to why melee is fundamentally a better game and until one single time this happens then it IS silly ******** about fox's throne.

Quoted for bad.

Burnsy

Smash Lord
It won't ever be the original because it is trying to exceed the original. Melee is far from being a perfect game, but don't get me wrong, it is a very awesome one.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
"half of the cast competitively unviable"? c'mon man this is 2013 metagame, low tiers aren't that low anymore. Brawl seems to be way more unbalanced anyway. see apex 2013 brawl top 10
i always find it funny how people go "over half of the cast is viable, just look at abate!" when over 90% of them have a fox or falco character icon in their profile. take it from someone who has accomplished more with a character in the bottom half of the tier list than thousands of players ever did or ever will with the best characters; the list of viable characters in SSBM realistically only includes 6 characters, 8 if you reach really hard. getting 5th over and over at the annual international is not "viable," winning is.

dunno where anyone brought up brawl. brawl is notably less balanced than melee which is about 4 or 5 times less balanced than project m.
i'd like to say this is the funniest post i've ever read, but i've read even deeper melee ****-riding than this before. melee is a fantastic game that has had a prolific and breathtaking competitive lifespan and i owe a lot to it (i made many of my best friends through melee), but to state that it's impossible to improve upon is asinine. when you're criticizing the character models as your last line of defense in comparing the two games, you really need to take a step back and look at yourself. there can and will eventually be a better competitive fighter than ssbm, whether or not you'll realize it is another story. have fun arguing with a 12 year old community over whether or not wobbling should be legal, i'll be busy playing a game where it doesn't exist, among a host of other improvements such as more than 5 or 6 competitively viable stages, 25+ competitively viable characters (that's more characters than are even selectable in SSBM, btw), and an absurdly deep 2v2 metagame.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
I believe sb's point is that "Brawl lovers" are people who love Brawl, not Project M.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
Asking the PM boards which game is superior is obviously going to get biased results. With that being said,

Melee is like the first donut I've ever had.
Brawl is like the hole in the donut.
PM is like the cream inside my donut.
I guess 64 is like those munchkins donut balls

D

Deleted member

Melee is just THE game. It's perfect in every aspect.
I can't imagine anybody saying that with a straight face. Yes, we had a lot of fun playing Melee, and yes, it was "the best" in the sense that it was the best Smash available at the time (at least from a competitive/depth of gameplay standpoint), but it was still a game with many flaws. We had no choice but to accept its limitations. This is no longer the case with Project M, which takes all the good things from Melee and builds upon it.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
I like Melee a lot more. PM is vastly superior in nearly every aspect. You just can't argue against that, its a fact. That being said, Melee just feels better and smoother to me and as a result I have more fun playing it.

Also, it may be just me, but I have the most fun playing PM on the different legal stages available.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I'll never understand how people think Melee feels better than P:M, but more-so how nobody recognizes light press air dodge is amazing. Hitboxes feel more Meaty in Melee, that's the only pro Melee feel aspect I got: not to say P:M's feel bad. If we're talking about character control, and everything concerning movement of your character: P:M almost lets you reach levels of Hax and IHSB movement for a lot less effort. The aesthetics/looks of Melee still mean a lot, and P:M is still Brawl with a Melee camera, but I only consider them different and not really better than the other (Compared to Dota 1 vs LoL, LoL minions look so dumb). Also people can't talk about aesthetics until they buy Wii component cables: you're not viewing the full P:M nor Melee till you use those. http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Wii-Component-Cable-Definition-Packaging/dp/B000M5ZIVY/ref=pd_cp_vg_3

Tero.

Smash Champion
OP asks "which one do you like better"
Obv I've posted my opinion which should be clear because from an objektiv Point of view its obv not perfect.
Way to go bashing me for my opinion

W/e strong Bad what you did is like 10000 times more **** riding btw, good job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom