• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Community Project: Mr. Game & Watch in Doubles Data

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
In short, Mr. Game & Watch and in part specifically with Pikachu, is getting a lot of focus. The strategy creates a metagame defining or breaking scenario in which the combination of Mr. Game & Watch's Oil Panic invincibility and several character's projectiles which fill the bucket instantaneously with consistency result in a wide range one hit KO attack with seemingly very little counter play presented thus far.

Whether or not tournament rules need to be made is not for the discussion here (please; we have other threads), but the basis for which we make these decisions is currently very wishy washy. A lot of anecdotal throw-away statements of "it's crazy" and "I saw a match end almost instantly" goes really far, but in nearly every case the question of tournament results, matches and otherwise depicting these on multiple occasions is left hanging; this is a problem we should aim to resolve.

Some big tournament series could be seeing a mixture of G&W banned, G&W and Pikachu specifically banned, some of G&W's down-b specials banned (including his default: a precedence we're yet to deal with) and I think on a conscious level this makes sense to a lot of people from the very small amount of information we've seen. But this shouldn't be enough. I'd rather say "for the first months of the game's life time we have over X tournaments with a total of Y teams with G&W + Z dominating results".

I'd like to tally/tabulate this data or tournament result instances for all to see.

How can you help?
We need the following information from events with no restrictions applied to Mr. Game & Watch.

1. An event name, date and official reference (Facebook link, smashboards thread/whatever)
2. Number of doubles teams [entry fees, payouts]
3. Tournament results with character choices (of at least the top placements, top 4 or top 8 is probably sufficient).
4. [Optional] Any and all videos, youtube or twitch time stamps otherwise showing games which are applicable. They MUST come with the related tournament information

If people have regions which have contrasting results pre and post "rules", that could be provided as well. (How that's dealt with TBD).

Last edited:

Doval

Smash Lord
But this shouldn't be enough. I'd rather say "for the first months of the game's life time we have over X tournaments with a total of Y teams with G&W + Z dominating results".
I wish I could like you 20 times for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom