• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Common Habits?

Shinde425

Smash Apprentice
I don't know if a thread exists for this very reason yet or not, but I want to discuss common habits that may be seen in any given player. That way we can bring it to light and wait to exploit them in enemies, as well as, watching for them in our own playstyle. ^^ If this kinda thread does exist, please kindly redirect me to it and lock this one thanks.

If I'm good to continue then...

Here's some that I've noticed:
1) Rolling under pressure, most of the time behind you. Pressure them near the edge and I can almost gaurantee that the average player will roll behind you to escape the bad situation and try to move away from the ledge. Hello prey, meet Ike's fsmash. >=D This one is very obvious, I presume, but it is still tricky to me, I'm not super pro yet. =(

2) This is common even in the better players I play, jumping back towards the stage the moment your sent off the edge. Most people won't save their jumps if they aren't thinking. Once again, as an Ike mainer, I landed a handful of aetherspikes because of this. My friend has practically beat this living truth in me verbally and responsively; SAVE YOUR JUMPS, you shouldn't be in too much of a hurry to recover.

3) This one is like the above, jumping out of attacks/jumping towards you after you send them in air/ jumping to escape attack ect. Good thing my Aether is an all around anti-jump weapon! :D

That's what I've been learning to react to and wait for. Got any others to add? I would appreciate it for the community's sake and it can add a personal edge to my game. ^^ I'm not the best at reading people so I thrive on these things to learn how to do read people effectively.

FireBullet

Smash Rookie
NNID
0-FireBullet-0
Air dodging when going on stage, either by ledge jumping or just coming back from getting knocked out. Punishing landings is a big part of Brawl, and players still do that, only to get Fsmashed by a Lucario.

Shinde425

Smash Apprentice
Air dodging when going on stage, either by ledge jumping or just coming back from getting knocked out. Punishing landings is a big part of Brawl, and players still do that, only to get Fsmashed by a Lucario.
Yeah, definitely. But I'm still trying to figure that one out. I always seem to time my attacks wrong when it comes to that. xP

LuLLo

Smash Ace
Shinde, you shouldn't use Aether for punishing jumps, it get's predictable and get's punished VERY hard ;).
As for punishing airdodges into the ground, it's really easy, characters always have a 4-frame landing lag or something like that, F-smash and U-smash in particular are good for punishing those, just charge and release JUST before they hit the ground, you'll always get them. Get a partner and practise the timing, it's really easy.

Also, common mistake people make is spot-dodging when they finished a ground attack, Snakes for example like to spotdodge after they did F-tilt and it hit your shield, capitalize on these mistakes with your jabs and perhaps F-smash when they really mess up. People should just jab or run away when an attack misses, those can't be mindgamed, spotdodges can.

Top Bottom