• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Comboing with marth

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
I watch all the neo, ken, and kizzu vids, and see all their amazing combos, but I can't seem to duplicate. especially using f-air.

everytime I use fair unless they're at extremely low damage I knock them too far away to do any combos. It seems like it would be a problem with sweetspotting, but i've tried hitting with different parts of the sword, but I can't seem to get it just right.

shadydentist

Smash Lord
It does matters where and when on the fair you hit them. Try hitting with the tip more, that will send them up instead of away.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
What percentage is your opponent at? Marth has a harder time comoing at higher percentages.
yeah i know, but Ive seen, for example, the ken combo done on an opponent who was in the 90's, 100's

ok shady i'll try to focus on the tip....for some reason i was thinkin tipper fairs are what would send them away

DiSCO

Smash Rookie
It's a lot easier to air combo if you've got SHDF down. You can just replace the second fair with your jump.
Typically at middle percentages, a tipper will prop them up perfectly for another fair or two after your double jump. Leads into more comboing, etc.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
To do a Ken combo on an opponent at higher damage, you can full-jump a FAIR, sweet-spotting with the bottom of the blade, or you can just not sweet-spot the fair, depending on who your opponent is.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
It's a lot easier to air combo if you've got SHDF down. You can just replace the second fair with your jump.
Typically at middle percentages, a tipper will prop them up perfectly for another fair or two after your double jump. Leads into more comboing, etc.

this is pretty much what i need to know.
i've got it now lol.

replace the second fair with the double jump is the ticket

only problem is, i have a harder time doing it when i'm facing the right than the left, because i use the C-stick to do my airs, and facing left, i just slide my thumb from X to the c-stick in one motion...facing right, i have to hit x then move my finger to the other side of the c-stick to push it to the right, add another nanosecond that kills my shdf

oh well i'll work on it

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
this is pretty much what i need to know.
i've got it now lol.

replace the second fair with the double jump is the ticket

only problem is, i have a harder time doing it when i'm facing the right than the left, because i use the C-stick to do my airs, and facing left, i just slide my thumb from X to the c-stick in one motion...facing right, i have to hit x then move my finger to the other side of the c-stick to push it to the right, add another nanosecond that kills my shdf

oh well i'll work on it
Thats interesting way to pull off the SHDF. I use the Y button so i just end up using the A button for the first fair then use the c-stick for the next hit(usually a u-air). but i do have a friend who tried using marth and also used the C button and i told him to try how i do it. He got it somewhat ok since all you gotta do is just slide your thumb from the X to the A and if u move forward you almost always do a f-air anyway. Just giving you more options to try and pull it off but u should ALWAYS go with what is easier for u.

Hope i helped:)

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i'll try that,
i'llprobably try X to A actually, cuz i just can't imagine jumping using any other button besides X hehe

shadydentist

Smash Lord
Try using Z. It doesn't require you to take your finger off of x, so its a little faster. Just don't do it too early or you do a grab instead.

UMBC Super Smasher

Smash Lord
The SHDF has been discussed in so many different threads on this board, it's... better to look at previous threads ;)

However, I know that Ken, Neo, Azen, Husband, and myself all use A for the first fair then C-stick for the second. I'm sure every other good marth (I'm not one of them) like M2K does also. End of discussion.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
hmm,,, well after a few days of practicing I can pull off the shdf using the C-stick for both fairs...maybe their way is easier, i'll try it

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
You should claw if it's not too awkward for you. It makes SHDF and many other techniques much easier.

Top Bottom