• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Combo Help?

Quag

Smash Rookie
I'm not very good at P:M and have just started Captain Falcon. So, can I get some help with comboing? Like which characters Falcon is good and bad at comboing, good combo moves, and if he can combo on the ground. Thank you, this will help me so much.

Player -0

Smash Hero
I'm not very good at P:M and have just started Captain Falcon. So, can I get some help with comboing? Like which characters Falcon is good and bad at comboing, good combo moves, and if he can combo on the ground. Thank you, this will help me so much.
Make sure you take the time to learn how to SHFFL, U-Air is great for moving opponents sideways and setting up for a knee. Dair is good for setting up for a knee (you can use it to read techrolls).

As usual opponents that're easy to combo are people that aren't floaty are great for comboing.

Falcon's grabs are awesome for setting up.
- Up Throw at low percent can set up for a knee if the opponent isn't a FF'er
- Up Throw can be used to CG FF'ers (as usual) and Up air chain to Knee at higher percents.
- Down Throw can be used to set up for Nair, Up Air, or Knee which then you can continue from there.

For "On the Ground" combos you mainly won't be using many ground moves to combo, mainly just stick to grabs to set up for aerials or SHFFL approaches. I guess D-Tilt could set up for some stuff. You can use Jab to grab and some other stuff.

I'm no Falcon expert but those are some stuff I've picked up from watching random tournament stuff.
Please someone else post to further explain.

Quag

Smash Rookie
Thanks a lot, but do you think there is any use for side b setting up knee? Also, I can't seem to do anything with nair.

Player -0

Smash Hero
Thanks a lot, but do you think there is any use for side b setting up knee? Also, I can't seem to do anything with nair.
Side B can set up for any aerial or a grab depending on the percent (you might be able to do smash attacks too).

I'm not completely sure of Nair's uses because I'm not a Falcon main but you can use it to set up for a grab, or just a weak aerial that keeps enemies in the air and sets up for other aerials. Nair's hitboxes cover most of Falcon's body and they pop up twice. The first hit pops the enemy into the second hit if you move correctly and the second hit does a hit that keeps opponents in hitstun and pops enemies up and away slightly.
Edit: I could be wrong.

Quag

Smash Rookie
Thanks anyway, maybe a Falcon main will come along, but you have helped me a large amount with my comboing abilities.

Crescent Monkey

Smash Apprentice
Alright, the first thing that you have to keep in mind is that you aren't going to be a combo video day 1, and you absolutely have to know how to dash->SHFFL, if you cant do that, thats your first priority. The first things you need to be able to do are simple combos:

Stomp->Knee
Raptor Boost->Knee
Up Throw->Knee

I recommend doing these combos on a level 1 Bowser.

The best thing you can do with Nair at low%s is grab, so Nair->dash->JC Grab
Once the opponent is at a high enough% follow up nair with a running shorthop, if the opponent is above you, Uair->dash->Knee
If the opponent is not above you, Knee. If you notice your opponent is DIing up and in, and you're jumping past them, then just do the same thing, except dont get a running start.

thats a pretty bad description of Nair, since there are some many different situations, and this only covers a few of them, not even very well at that, but you should at least get a general idea of what to do from it. Watch Scar's Melee combo videos(I killed Mufasa). All of those combos are still relevant, and I learned Falcon by watching those videos and practicing until I could replicate them. Luckily for you, Falcon is one of the few characters where facing a computer can actually help you out. Face a level 1 and combo the **** out of him. If you can do the combos, it means you can control Captain Falcon, and being able to control Captain Falcon is the most crucial part of the character. Once you can move the way you want, you'll start just knowing what the next move in the combo is.

Player -0

Smash Hero
Alright, the first thing that you have to keep in mind is that you aren't going to be a combo video day 1, and you absolutely have to know how to dash->SHFFL, if you cant do that, thats your first priority. The first things you need to be able to do are simple combos:

Stomp->Knee
Raptor Boost->Knee
Up Throw->Knee

I recommend doing these combos on a level 1 Bowser.

The best thing you can do with Nair at low%s is grab, so Nair->dash->JC Grab
Once the opponent is at a high enough% follow up nair with a running shorthop, if the opponent is above you, Uair->dash->Knee
If the opponent is not above you, Knee. If you notice your opponent is DIing up and in, and you're jumping past them, then just do the same thing, except dont get a running start.

thats a pretty bad description of Nair, since there are some many different situations, and this only covers a few of them, not even very well at that, but you should at least get a general idea of what to do from it. Watch Scar's Melee combo videos(I killed Mufasa). All of those combos are still relevant, and I learned Falcon by watching those videos and practicing until I could replicate them. Luckily for you, Falcon is one of the few characters where facing a computer can actually help you out. Face a level 1 and combo the **** out of him. If you can do the combos, it means you can control Captain Falcon, and being able to control Captain Falcon is the most crucial part of the character. Once you can move the way you want, you'll start just knowing what the next move in the combo is.
Hay, you're that guy that playing in the S@X weeklies.

Anyway: Yeah, Crescent Monkey summed up what combos are about (I bolded it).
- Learn your moveset and what each move can be used for in each situation (you could use replays of yourself and rewatch them and break it down)
- Master movement of your character
- When you should end a combo with a powerful finisher and when you should continue it. This is useful so you don't try to keep continuing a combo and they DI out.

Quag

Smash Rookie
Wow that's a lot, but thank you. I'm already getting stuff like dair->side b->uair->knee. Maybe I'll meet you guys in a tournament or something one day. Seeing where you live that's unlikely though. Oh yeah, and can you give me some characters that are really bad/good for comboing?

Alexo30

Smash Journeyman
All of the larger opponents(Ganon, Bowser, DDD, etc.) are pretty darn good for combos. I guess FastFallers are a bit more difficult. Nair can be used to zone and continue combos, I usually try to Nair->stomp if I know they're not teching. Nair is also good shield pressure due to low landing lag. Nair is the swiss army knife of Captain Falcon.

210stuna

Smash Lord
Learning how to utilize Nairs for Falcon is one of the many attributes that set Falcons apart. You could try to use a Nair as an approach, but mind you it can easily be block, if seen coming, and Falcon is an easy character to combo off of.

A sweet combo to pull off is Nair (once or twice) and then the knee. You don't have to necessarily do the Dair, Side B, and then this. Side B is like a coin toss, it can be extremely rewarding especially if it leads into a knee, but more than likely will be bad for you, if missed/blocked.

You can use a SH Nair to jab the opponent and then back away with the 2nd leg, or to space forward with both of them. Again though, if blocked or dodged you will instantly have to put on your shield or be prepared for rushed attack or a projectile. In other words it's not a very good approach.

Nairs in the air are good if your opponent is rushing you down with projectiles (Falco jumping a lot)
You could do a one full jump-not fast fallen Nair, and if you nick them, respond with a Uair with your second jump.

The Up air is another tool that sets Falcons apart. That foot.

Speaking of fast falling though, it becomes a great tool in your air game, and some what for recovery (given how predictable it is)
Dairs in the air are good for the length, strength, given that you can pull of many (if needed) while in the air.

Falcon is like a character that pokes his opponents offensively or defensively. Doing what he can to fight against projectiles, or making the characters come to him. All of those pokes can lead to combos which is the core of any Falcon player.

Another core feature of any Falcon player is speed. And I'm not talking about his blunt speed, but the things that make him speedier.
L-Canceling. I'll tell you like it is, and say that any good Falcon player will successfully L-Cancel all his moves that can, and even more so when they're fast fallen. It's what makes him so unpredictable. You have to do that with Falcon or you will be targeted and juggled to death. When you have a Falcon moving as fast as it is, sending out so many moves from the sky, to the head, etc, when they're all L-Canceled it really makes a difference in your rush down, and the opponents ability to hunt you down.

Wavedashing out of (The term that refers to running back in forth in a set zone) plus moonwalking (For bonus points ;) ) Adds to this unpredictability factor, thhat should be in your favor, if you don't get hit.

So if you really want to be good with Captain Falcon or any character really. Learn how to L-Cancel their moves (Some moves take more priority over others), and learn how to wavedash on command (In C. Falcon's case, it's not as crucial though). L-Canceling his Dair is very important, you will see why you would rather want to keep throwing out Dair instead of Nairs. The reward, the risk, all of it favors Dair over Nair.

One more tip is to learn how to Knee out of the ledge.
Another thing, learn how to gentleman and follow with either a knee, a diagonal to the right A, or a down tilt (These steps are ordered by priority, it all depends on percent) If anything though, learn how to do a 1-2 punch followed by a grab at low percentage, if they're too high in percent and move out grab range than resort back to the above.

Yes I am a Falcon main, and all of this was on top of the head. If any more info comes I'll be sure to edit it in my post.
I hope this helps. The road for Falcon players is an upward battle in Project: M

Take care.
-Vic

Quag

Smash Rookie
And I thought that Crescent Monkey gave me a lot of info. well the only things I need to work on is SHFFLing, (I do too fast and my uair, dair, fair, and second nair hitboxes won't come out.) and controlling my movement. I tend to SD often due to my terrible movement. It's just so choppy. And problay edgeguarding, that's where 40% of my deaths go. Thanks anyway. A whole lot of new Falcon mains will learn from this thread.

Strawhat09

Smash Journeyman
Like many have said, watch falcon videos from professional players. Melee videos might not be the best idea because falconsovement is a bit different. For example : hax videos. Lol watch pm falcons. I have a few videos but I'm mediocre. Get falcons movement down before you even start thinking about comboing. Learn to dash dance, Waveland off platforms, jcgrab, moonwalking. Then move onto shuffle Nairs and uairs. Practice shuffle Nairs/uairs against fatties like bowser, DK, DDD and floaties like peach and ness. Eventually youll grow really comfortable with the character. Like melee, pm is technically demanding ...as a falcon main, always be mobile throughout the entirety of the match...theres just too much to say. :/

Quag

Smash Rookie
So yeah, I have no idea how people moonwalk, I sat their doing exactly what the wiki said: "Tilt stick forward then tilt back while doing a very tight semi-circle." and failed for like 30 minutes or so. How do you do that (moonwalking)?

Alexo30

Smash Journeyman
So yeah, I have no idea how people moonwalk, I sat their doing exactly what the wiki said: "Tilt stick forward then tilt back while doing a very tight semi-circle." and failed for like 30 minutes or so. How do you do that (moonwalking)?
You have to be extremely fast to get a good moonwalk.

210stuna

Smash Lord
They made his moonwalking better in 2.6b than before, but it's still not up to date with Melee's I would say.

MW probably isn't the most important Falcon Factor I would worry about getting down, but it sure does look cool.

Strawhat09

Smash Journeyman
Yeah...at this point, moon walking isn't viable in pm...It's far better in melee... Same thing goes with his movement.

Crescent Monkey

Smash Apprentice
For some reason, getting better at movement in general with the character magically made me able to moonwalk without actually practicing it at all. I couldn't do it before, gave up, practiced other movement, then tried again and got it immediately. Lol

Player -0

Smash Hero
For some reason, getting better at movement in general with the character magically made me able to moonwalk without actually practicing it at all. I couldn't do it before, gave up, practiced other movement, then tried again and got it immediately. Lol
You probably got used to jamming your control stick around quickly :p

Quag

Smash Rookie
So what I'm seeing is that PM Falcon is not like Melee Falcon (and is probably worse) and that things like his movement and special techniques like moonwalking are no longer as important. So what is? Is he just dash dancing and combos now? Or is there something I'm not getting because you guys are probably leagues above me?

Crescent Monkey

Smash Apprentice
Lets not get caught up in the negatives here, Falcon kick is now a viable move to get kills at higher % when combos stop working, Raptor Boost grabbing ledge is a huge boost towards his recovery, and he can sweetspot the ledge, as opposed to in Melee when his legs had to flip over the ledge. There are also more viable characters this time around, so you wont be playing a bad matchup 90% of the time like you have to in Melee. If you want to play Falcon in this game, then do it, it's a hell of a lot of fun. :colorful:

Quag

Smash Rookie
Yes he is fun, but do love using all the characters ( except Jigglypuff and Peach) and by getting good with at least most of them lets me be more versatile versus others. Also after some practice I have gotten at least decent with his movement, an even have been able toget a tiny moonwalk. Also, about the thing where I keep saying that everyone here is insanely better than me, after seeing some videos of not-best-in-the-world people, I wasn't that bad.

GingaBread

Smash Cadet
Also one thing that hasn't been mentioned here that is essential to having a next level falcon is being as close to frame perfect as possible when it comes to running out of L-cancelled aerials. Once you have your first match where you absolutely bury your opponent in nairs and grabs while running circles around them you'll never go back. Not to mention once you get it down it opens up Falcon's combo ability like maddddd

But on a more technical note he's got a great foxtrot with good speed on it so being able to do it immediately out of aerials will make competent (but probably not pro) players have a very difficult time punishing.

GeZ

Smash Lord
Like many have said, watch falcon videos from professional players. Melee videos might not be the best idea because falconsovement is a bit different. For example : hax videos. Lol watch pm falcons. I have a few videos but I'm mediocre. Get falcons movement down before you even start thinking about comboing. Learn to dash dance, Waveland off platforms, jcgrab, moonwalking. Then move onto shuffle Nairs and uairs. Practice shuffle Nairs/uairs against fatties like bowser, DK, DDD and floaties like peach and ness. Eventually youll grow really comfortable with the character. Like melee, pm is technically demanding ...as a falcon main, always be mobile throughout the entirety of the match...theres just too much to say. :/
Damnit Strawhat, you gotta come back. You were a damn solid Falcon.

Strawhat09

Smash Journeyman
Infinitely down for how well this went. :drohyou:

I would be too. Guy's a beast. You plan on fighting him again once you're in better form?

Also, what do you think about Falcons Dash Attack Ledge Fall tech?
Yeah, I plan on facing him again if I head to Forte in the dfw area.

I think it's great! I can't wait to see how he does with the newcomer matchups

GeZ

Smash Lord
Yeah, I plan on facing him again if I head to Forte in the dfw area.

I think it's great! I can't wait to see how he does with the newcomer matchups

Awesome. I'll be looking for the vid of you thrashing him. And do you ever use ledge hop Dair? I had it used on me and have used it myself a few times but I'm not sure of it's effectiveness.

And do you have any tips for getting the wall jump after falling off the ledge after dash attack? ****s tough.

Strawhat09

Smash Journeyman
I do use ledge hop dair! :p I only use it when I feel like my opponent is more aggressive than I am...Characters like Sheik, falco, and fox love reacting to a falcon that jumps off the ledge, so I tend to use it against those characters. against M2k couple of times and he falls right into it. :D
With that being said, don't really use that often. It is more of a mix-up option.

I havent really implemented the dash attack ledge fall into my playstyle... It's just not how I do things :p Maybe some other Falcon mains can help you with that. :p

After watching a plethora of Strawhat videos, I want to continue being a Falcon main. The character is too damn fun :p
You know youre a good falcon main when you watch your own videos and fall in love with Falcon's movement :p

Watch the match at 15:12 :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viczfdq30E8

GeZ

Smash Lord
I do use ledge hop dair! :p I only use it when I feel like my opponent is more aggressive than I am...Characters like Sheik, falco, and fox love reacting to a falcon that jumps off the ledge, so I tend to use it against those characters. against M2k couple of times and he falls right into it. :D
With that being said, don't really use that often. It is more of a mix-up option.

I havent really implemented the dash attack ledge fall into my playstyle... It's just not how I do things :p Maybe some other Falcon mains can help you with that. :p

After watching a plethora of Strawhat videos, I want to continue being a Falcon main. The character is too damn fun :p
You know youre a good falcon main when you watch your own videos and fall in love with Falcon's movement :p

Watch the match at 15:12 :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viczfdq30E8

Strawhat inspiring Strawhat. Todays a good day. I can see how the ledge drop off might not be your thing, I don't know how much I'll end up using it. But it's great that your back to Falcon. I feel that of the P:M Falcon mains, you're the one that plays him the most, I guess, fair(?) to his changes? Most of them treat him exactly like Melee Falcon and I like seeing you repping his new style a bit more.

Strawhat09

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I go into this game with a whole new mindset. I don't really treat it like melee.
Really looking forward to 3.0.
I wonder how falcon kick will do against the shadow ball and the power beam. These are ridiculous things to get excited about, but I love implementing Falcon kick. I'm trying to use it as an OOS option. When I find myself stuck in shield, I try to never roll. Falcon's roll is so bad. So i either wavedash out of shield...or jump out of shield. When I jump out of shield I like to time my Falcon kick right as they try to go in for a grab...However, I try to avoid using this against Marth, DDD, and others with excellent grab range.

GeZ

Smash Lord
Yeah, I go into this game with a whole new mindset. I don't really treat it like melee.
Really looking forward to 3.0.
I wonder how falcon kick will do against the shadow ball and the power beam. These are ridiculous things to get excited about, but I love implementing Falcon kick. I'm trying to use it as an OOS option. When I find myself stuck in shield, I try to never roll. Falcon's roll is so bad. So i either wavedash out of shield...or jump out of shield. When I jump out of shield I like to time my Falcon kick right as they try to go in for a grab...However, I try to avoid using this against Marth, DDD, and others with excellent grab range.

I wouldn't hold out hope for beating Shadow Ball. That thing devours other projectiles and normals like it was the second deadly sin. WD OoS is fantastic and Falcon Kick OoS seems like it could be a good mixup. I'm always very uncomfortable fighting Marth and DDD because of their move and grab ranges. It wigs me out.

Tugnus

Smash Cadet
One of the most important things for movement/combos that I feel people don't go over is starting your dash/next move immediately after your L-cancels. Your L-cancel is useless if you don't start your next action immediately after. It's one of those basics that will take you far.

Quag

Smash Rookie
So yeah been away for a while now, been training and school and stuff. So yeah, Captain Falcon, how can you beat all these sword users with him? I can't do anything versus them. Dash up, aerials, specials, and waiting all do nothing versus them, I get short hopped faired every single time, and if I just wait, they just stand there, and I lose to a timeout. Help?

Alexo30

Smash Journeyman
So yeah been away for a while now, been training and school and stuff. So yeah, Captain Falcon, how can you beat all these sword users with him? I can't do anything versus them. Dash up, aerials, specials, and waiting all do nothing versus them, I get short hopped faired every single time, and if I just wait, they just stand there, and I lose to a timeout. Help?
Work on your shield game. Learn your OOS options(there isn't many good ones lol). Being patient against the swords is important. Dash in -> shield is a valuable practice vs the swords. Personally, I'm in my shield quite frequently vs swords, baiting.

Strawhat09

Smash Journeyman
If you can work on getting some match recordings, i can help you out. Falcon has the advantage in the metaknight,marth,roy,ike, and link MU..Not sure about Tink, but Im pretty sure Falcon bops him too

Top Bottom