• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Collision Limits

Beninator

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GhotiH
3DS FC
1461-6196-0520
I was editing Delfino Plaza, adding collision lines over all the water, then making them floors and giving them materials of "Crash 1" and "Crash 3" and such (yes, I am trying to make my own lava.) After finishing, I placed the card in my Wii, selected Delfino Plaza, and the thing locked up. No beep, but no buttons responded. Some collision lines happened to pass through wall lines, and every bit of water now has a collision line over it. So, does anyone know why it froze and what I can do to stop it?

Beninator

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GhotiH
3DS FC
1461-6196-0520
Not that I know of. I took the basic Delfino Plaza file and added collision lines to it.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Don't the "Crash" materials, well, crash the game when used? I don't recall modern documentation standards on such things, but I don't think every material type is "valid" and invalid ones may cause the game to barf. Testing them out with a known benign material type first would be a good test.

Also, the beep is just the game hanging on a frame in which it was playing some sound effect or music in which case it will simply buzz. Crashes on silent frames will be silent but not any different mechanically from crashes on noisy frames (note that the vast majority of frames are noisy and you mostly only get silent crashes during loading screens). In any case, you know it's a true crash if the power button isn't responsive to a tap and has to be held for 7 seconds to depower the Wii (do not unplug the Wii; this is bad for the console's lifespan).

Beninator

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GhotiH
3DS FC
1461-6196-0520
I saw the Crash thing on STGEDIT_00 (on what I assumed was the spikes.) How would I get a collision line to hurt you if it is not through Crash?

And I did have to hold the button for several seconds.

I'll try them out with a different material type.

Beninator

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GhotiH
3DS FC
1461-6196-0520
Didn't work.

Delfino Plaza still froze once I selected it. I changed all "Crash X" to "Footstep 1" and my Wii still crashed.

Toomai

Smash Ace
I think that the three crash materials look to auxiliary data to find out what to do to victims, based on the fact I've seen spikes in the Subspace Emissary get labelled both Crash 1 and Crash 2, even though in other stages Crash 2 is definitely lava.

Crash 3 is used for the Iceberg.

Top Bottom