• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Clone or Not? Let's Discuss!

twilight_hero

Smash Lord
in ur Wii, savin' hyrule from t3h twilight... By t
Toon Link is Link from another dimension, he has nothing to do with Link. Let's find him a better name, like "The Wind Walker", how does this sound?
It'd be the Wind Waker, not Walker. Also, I prefer the name "Hero of Winds."

I think it sounds bad. I personnaly like the name Toon Link.

And it's not "Wind WaLker", but Wind WAKER. He wakes the wind, he doesn't walk on the wind ...
I really don't like that name, and here's why. Imagine, if you will, that Smash Bros. is the real world. Now, in the same way that everyone looks similarly...real in this world, everyone (except Mr. Game and Watch) in that world looks similar. Now, if everyone looks real, and "Toon" refers to a graphical style, the name Toon Link makes absolutely no sense. I mean, why not call Link...erm..."Realistic Link" if you're gonna do that?

Toon Link's from the same dimension, just a different time period.
True.

That can't be possible, because the Ganondorfs are different and have different stories.
Actually, it's completely possible.

[LONG EXPLANATION]As you mentioned, they're two different Ganons and have two completely different stories. But these games are happening at very different times. The Ganon from Wind Waker is the same Ganon that was in OoT. (Man of great evil killed by hero, man rises again, man came from a desert.) Now, leaving out other LoZ games, the story goes like this:

OoT---->TP---->WW

As you can see, the events of TP are in between the events of OoT and WW. At the end of OoT, Ganondorf was sealed away by Link, theoretically forever, making Link the Hero of Time. Much later (what is it, a hundred years?), TP happens. A completely different Ganondorf arises and attempts to drench Hyrule in eternal twiilght. He is stopped, killed(?). This has yet to be followed up upon. Now, much, much later, OoT Ganon rises yet again. The people wait for the Hero of Time to appear once more, but he never does. Ganon owns everyone and the goddesses drown Hyrule. The mountaintops become islands and a new civilization is born. Then a hero arises, but nobody knows it. The hero (the Hero of Time reborn) begins a quest to save his sister which then develops into a frantic quest to destroy the man of great evil who has returned. Ganon is turned to stone and is now at the bottom of the ocean. This has also yet to be followed up upon (PH doesn't count, as it has nothing to do with Ganon or the Master Sword), although if it is, I suspect it'll have something to do with the Master Sword sticking out of Ganon's head, thereby sealing him away.[/LONG EXPLANATION]

So you see (if you actually read the whole thing), it's completely possible that this is all the same dimension. *takes breath*

VVayfarer

Smash Journeyman
[LONG EXPLANATION]As you mentioned, they're two different Ganons and have two completely different stories. But these games are happening at very different times. The Ganon from Wind Waker is the same Ganon that was in OoT. (Man of great evil killed by hero, man rises again, man came from a desert.) Now, leaving out other LoZ games, the story goes like this:

OoT---->TP---->WW

As you can see, the events of TP are in between the events of OoT and WW. At the end of OoT, Ganondorf was sealed away by Link, theoretically forever, making Link the Hero of Time. Much later (what is it, a hundred years?), TP happens. A completely different Ganondorf arises and attempts to drench Hyrule in eternal twiilght. He is stopped, killed(?). This has yet to be followed up upon. Now, much, much later, OoT Ganon rises yet again. The people wait for the Hero of Time to appear once more, but he never does. Ganon owns everyone and the goddesses drown Hyrule. The mountaintops become islands and a new civilization is born. Then a hero arises, but nobody knows it. The hero (the Hero of Time reborn) begins a quest to save his sister which then develops into a frantic quest to destroy the man of great evil who has returned. Ganon is turned to stone and is now at the bottom of the ocean. This has also yet to be followed up upon (PH doesn't count, as it has nothing to do with Ganon or the Master Sword), although if it is, I suspect it'll have something to do with the Master Sword sticking out of Ganon's head, thereby sealing him away.[/LONG EXPLANATION]

So you see (if you actually read the whole thing), it's completely possible that this is all the same dimension. *takes breath*
Do you remember TP Ganondorf's story? It sais he was sealed by the twelve (thirteen?) sages and the hero in green. Sounds familiar? That means he would also be the very same Ganondorf that terrorized OoT.

Which would mean, that the Ganondorf from TP and the Ganondorf from WW are different people, even though they both were the same in OoT.

And that wouldn't make sense, would it? So they'd have to be from different dimensions, which in turn would make the Links be from different dimensions.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
Do you remember TP Ganondorf's story? It sais he was sealed by the twelve (thirteen?) sages and the hero in green. Sounds familiar? That means he would also be the very same Ganondorf that terrorized OoT.

Which would mean, that the Ganondorf from TP and the Ganondorf from WW are different people, even though they both were the same in OoT.

And that wouldn't make sense, would it? So they'd have to be from different dimensions, which in turn would make the Links be from different dimensions.
You're thinking too strictly. Technically, there are TWO Ganondorfs in Ocarina of Time. There's the defeated Ganondorf in the future, and then the Ganondorf that's still scheming in the past. The past Ganondorf is the one that gets locked up by the sages (Twilight Princess) and the defeated Ganondorf of the future revives when the green hero is not around (Wind Waker).

twilight_hero

Smash Lord

True; however, in OoT there were only six (seven if you count Zelda) Sages. Where'd the other six come from?

You're thinking too strictly. Technically, there are TWO Ganondorfs in Ocarina of Time. There's the defeated Ganondorf in the future, and then the Ganondorf that's still scheming in the past. The past Ganondorf is the one that gets locked up by the sages (Twilight Princess) and the defeated Ganondorf of the future revives when the green hero is not around (Wind Waker).
And that's why Link and Young Link can be in the same game. It shouldn't actually be possible for TP Link and the HoW to be in the same game, since neither can travel through time; however, I'm not complaining.

Technically before Wind Waker.

VVayfarer

Smash Journeyman
Not exactly "locked away" but concealed or put into a "dormant" state. Link thought Ganon would not break out of it, which is why he chose to stay in the past. This leads to Wind Waker.
So the Ganondorf in WW is the one from the future of OoT, which was sealed. And the one in the past would end up in TP.
But the Ganondorf in TP was killed. Where was the other Ganon at that time?

Because if the future of OoT never happened in the TP time, but still existed and eventually became WW, wouldn't that make it a completely separate dimension?

And thus, it would make WW and TP different dimensions, as neither ones timeline will never get in contact with the other, meaning that no matter if you go to the past or future, you can't get from WW to TP, and vice versa (whew).

True; however, in OoT there were only six (seven if you count Zelda) Sages. Where'd the other six come from?
No, that was my own mistake: there were six sages in TP, too. Havn't been playing the game for a while.

//No arguments? :bigthumbu

twilight_hero

Smash Lord
Actually, quite a few...LOL...

I hope you know that I'm not trying to be a jack@ss or anything stupid like that, just trying to have a friendly debate about a great video game series. Hope you have the same feeling.

Well, here we go...

P.S. Sorry for all the weirdness. My computer's being...weird.

So the Ganondorf in WW is the one from the future of OoT, which was sealed. And the one in the past would end up in TP.
But the Ganondorf in TP was killed. Where was the other Ganon at that time?

Let's assume that they're different Ganons. TP Ganon is in TP. OoT/WW Ganon is in the Sacred Realm. TP happens, the TP Ganon is killed. Then the other Ganon breaks out of the Sacred Realm and WW happens. The WW/OoT Ganon is turned to stone. Both Ganon's storylines ended there.

Also keep in mind another part of Ganon's storyline in TP. According to Zant, Ganon's a god. That definitely wasn't mentioned in either TP or OoT. Also, another couple things...

-TP Ganon got his sword by stealing it from one of the Sages. In OoT, none of the sages had a sword. He got it during his execution. At the end of OoT, he wasn't executed. He was locked in the Sacred Realm.

-TP Ganon's powers. Let's assume for the moment that Zelda could already use the spells she used against Link when he possessed her. He couldn't possess people in OoT or WW. Now, let's assume aforementioned spells are Ganon's alone. While he could do the lightning ball already (although charging it on the sword was an added touch), he couldn't do the triangle attack and without a sword, couldn't do the swoopy attack. Moving on, he could already become a giant beast, and moving on yet again, he couldn't do the horsemen-summony thing. He also couldn't summon the mystical boundaries in OoT that he could in TP, and couldn't teleport in OoT like in TP (to the best of my knowledge). Also, TP Ganon couldn't use the 3-heart death ball that he could in OoT. I think that's all for now...

Because if the future of OoT never happened in the TP time, but still existed and eventually became WW, wouldn't that make it a completely separate dimension?

Who said the future of OoT never happened in TP time? In my opinion, OoT led to TP. The Hero of Time died. When TP Ganon arose and attempted to smother Hyrule in twilight, a new hero stopped him, namely me.;) The future of Hyrule occurs after TP and leads into WW. Ganon from OoT appears and the Hero of Time does not arise again. The goddesses drown Hyrule, leading into WW's storyline.

And thus, it would make WW and TP different dimensions, as neither ones timeline will never get in contact with the other, meaning that no matter if you go to the past or future, you can't get from WW to TP, and vice versa.

My only response to that is to see above for the explanation as to why that's (IMO) wrong.

I hope you get what i mean.

No, that was my own mistake: there were six sages in TP, too. Havn't been playing the game for a while.

//No arguments? :bigthumbu
Speaking of Sages, the Sages in TP look very different than the ones in OoT. And Sages leads to the Triforce. The Triforce is talked about quite a bit OoT and hardly (if ever) mentioned in TP. Ganon's escape from the Sacred Realm is never mentioned in TP. If it were the same Ganon as in OoT, I'm sure these things would've been mentioned.

Sooooo...yeah.

*waits for response*

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
Is this all assuming that, things done in the past, affect the future? I do not think like that, which is why I consider the two timelines independent and post-OoT, cannot intervene with each other. Yours is based on, "what done in the past changes the future".

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
TP does not go on into WW. End of story.

OOT: After link defeats future ganandorf you end up with the the future of OOT which then progresses on to WW.

This results in PAST OOT having TWO branches.
One that progresses on to MM and then WW
and the other that instead progresses on to TP.

Sort of like how a time traveler goes back in time and creates two different futures both of which exist.

OOT~~~>TP
OOT~~~>MM~~~>WW

this is supported by the fact that the story of Ganandorf is entirely different in both games.
WW: Man from the desert defeated by the Hero of Time. The great Evil comes back and drowns the world etc etc
TP: Man form the desert unleashes hell and Chaos all that jazz and gets sealed up by the thirteen great sages (or however many there were).

VVayfarer

Smash Journeyman
Also keep in mind another part of Ganon's storyline in TP. According to Zant, Ganon's a god. That definitely wasn't mentioned in either TP or OoT.
Well.. the Ganondorf in TP was talking about some "new powers" he got by stealing the sword from one of the sages. That would explain how he could make the clouds look like him, which in turn made Zant think he was a god (this is the impression i got).

-TP Ganon got his sword by stealing it from one of the Sages. In OoT, none of the sages had a sword. He got it during his execution. At the end of OoT, he wasn't executed. He was locked in the Sacred Realm.
Alright, this is a bit harder to explain. Or not.

So... i'll assume the Ganondorf in TP is the one in the past of OoT. After Link pulled the Master Sword out of the pedestal and travelled through time, the Ganon in the past of OoT got the Triforce of Power and could do anything he wanted, now that Link was gone. Then Link defeated Ganondorf in the future of OoT, and he was sealed in the sacred realm.

But after that Link decided to return to the past, putting the Master Sword back in the pedestal. That would only leave the Ganondorf in the past left, who would never be able to get the Triforce of Power and thus, the future would have changed, making the real future of OoT a different dimension.

So in this new time, basically everything could be different from the real future: the sages would be entirely different beings (the sages were not mentioned before the future of OoT, so this could be possible); the Ganondorf from the past could maybe get the Triforce of Power with a different method than the first he thought of, and he could also possess some different skills... and this would also lead to his excecution in the past of TP (after many other events, no doubt).

-TP Ganon's powers. Let's assume for the moment that Zelda could already use the spells she used against Link when he possessed her. He couldn't possess people in OoT or WW. Now, let's assume aforementioned spells are Ganon's alone. While he could do the lightning ball already (although charging it on the sword was an added touch), he couldn't do the triangle attack and without a sword, couldn't do the swoopy attack. Moving on, he could already become a giant beast, and moving on yet again, he couldn't do the horsemen-summony thing. He also couldn't summon the mystical boundaries in OoT that he could in TP, and couldn't teleport in OoT like in TP (to the best of my knowledge). Also, TP Ganon couldn't use the 3-heart death ball that he could in OoT. I think that's all for now...
These could be the "new powers" he got, or possibly these would be some of the things that changed with the future of OoT.
And let's not forget aLttP, where Aganhim was possessed by Ganondorf (I know, aLttP isn't related in OoT, but i just wanted to point that out).

Who said the future of OoT never happened in TP time? In my opinion, OoT led to TP. The Hero of Time died. When TP Ganon arose and attempted to smother Hyrule in twilight, a new hero stopped him, namely me. The future of Hyrule occurs after TP and leads into WW. Ganon from OoT appears and the Hero of Time does not arise again. The goddesses drown Hyrule, leading into WW's storyline.
OoT does lead to TP, that much is true. But the future of OoT is the one i believe to have changed, and led to WW. The past of OoT is the one i think to have eventually led to TP.

Speaking of Sages, the Sages in TP look very different than the ones in OoT. And Sages leads to the Triforce. The Triforce is talked about quite a bit OoT and hardly (if ever) mentioned in TP. Ganon's escape from the Sacred Realm is never mentioned in TP. If it were the same Ganon as in OoT, I'm sure these things would've been mentioned.
But didn't Ganondorf escape from the Sacred Realm in the past of WW? And the thing with the sages has already been explained.

Whew! That took a while.

//
I hope you know that I'm not trying to be a jack@ss or anything stupid like that, just trying to have a friendly debate about a great video game series. Hope you have the same feeling.
Yeah. There's no need to take this too seriously.

raffae

Smash Rookie
toon link is sum what a semi clone!!! i mean his basic attacks are obviosly like links but there are many major difference. he is much faster then normal link and more agile. he is also has more knock back potential and is K.O easier. his boomerang is just a normal one and his attacks deal less damage. his spin attack doesnt damage much but it draws im in. he is also much more combo oreinted and is far superior then normal link in tht category. my personal opinion is tht toon link is better....

raffae

Smash Rookie
toon link is sum what a semi clone!!! i mean his basic attacks are obviosly like links but there are many major difference. he is much faster then normal link and more agile. he is also has more knock back potential and is K.O easier. his boomerang is just a normal one and his attacks deal less damage. his spin attack doesnt damage much but it draws im in. he is also much more combo oreinted and is far superior then normal link in tht category. my personal opinion is tht toon link is better....;)

KazuTheNut

Smash Apprentice
Canada, Quebec, around the border between Ontario
toon link is sum what a semi clone!!!
No, Link is the clone.
i mean his basic attacks are obviosly like links but there are many major difference.
That isn't enough to change clone haters' opinions. And his aerials are all different.
he is much faster then normal link and more agile.
True that.
he is also has more knock back potential and is K.O easier.
I'm not sure if you mean more potential to be or not to be (^^) K.O'd
his boomerang is just a normal one and his attacks deal less damage. )
Wich is to be expected, usualy more agile=less damage
his spin attack doesnt damage much but it draws im in.
Actualy, I -think- it does more damage because it reels them in.
he is also much more combo oreinted and is far superior then normal link in tht category. my personal opinion is tht toon link is better....;)
I can't say for sure about the combo thing, and you can't say he's necessarily superior, he's DIFFERENT.

twilight_hero

Smash Lord
Well.. the Ganondorf in TP was talking about some "new powers" he got by stealing the sword from one of the sages. That would explain how he could make the clouds look like him, which in turn made Zant think he was a god (this is the impression i got).

Well, keep in mind that "God Ganon" once again appears after his "beast" form in the final boss fight.

Alright, this is a bit harder to explain. Or not.

...Huh? LOL...

So... i'll assume the Ganondorf in TP is the one in the past of OoT. After Link pulled the Master Sword out of the pedestal and travelled through time, the Ganon in the past of OoT got the Triforce of Power and could do anything he wanted, now that Link was gone. Then Link defeated Ganondorf in the future of OoT, and he was sealed in the sacred realm.

Riiiiight...

But after that Link decided to return to the past, putting the Master Sword back in the pedestal. That would only leave the Ganondorf in the past left, who would never be able to get the Triforce of Power and thus, the future would have changed, making the real future of OoT a different dimension.

Well, here's the thing. Link goes back in time, right? Back to a time in which there is still a Ganondorf threatening the world. The very last scene of the game is Link meeting back up with Zelda in the courtyard of Hyrule Castle. Navi has left, but that may be the only difference. If I recall correctly, she mentioned absolutely nothing about the battle. While he does leave the Temple of Time and the Master Sword behind, it's not to say he won't pull the MS out of its pedestal again, leading into the future again. In fact, there's nothing to prove that once he leaves the Temple, he'll remember the events of the future.

So in this new time, basically everything could be different from the real future: the sages would be entirely different beings (the sages were not mentioned before the future of OoT, so this could be possible); the Ganondorf from the past could maybe get the Triforce of Power with a different method than the first he thought of, and he could also possess some different skills... and this would also lead to his excecution in the past of TP (after many other events, no doubt).

If Link goes back to the past, Ganondorf was never sealed away. In the future (of the past where he never pulled the MS out of its pedestal), Ganon (from the past) is still there, trying to find the Triforce. If he never does, that could easily lead into TP's story.

But here's the catch. TP Ganon is defeated by the Hero (before the events of TP, that is) and sealed away by the Sages. Young Link couldn't defeat Ganon, because the Master Sword was required to do so. However, when Young Link pulls the Master Sword from its pedestal, it takes him to the future...leading into the rest of OoT. Also, you mentioned yourself that there was no mention of the Sages in Young Link's time. If TP Ganon was sealed away with the Sages, who were they and where'd they come from?

These could be the "new powers" he got, or possibly these would be some of the things that changed with the future of OoT.
And let's not forget aLttP, where Aganhim was possessed by Ganondorf (I know, aLttP isn't related in OoT, but i just wanted to point that out).

Perhaps ALttP isn't related to OoT, but it was still an amazing game.;)

OoT does lead to TP, that much is true. But the future of OoT is the one i believe to have changed, and led to WW. The past of OoT is the one i think to have eventually led to TP.

But didn't Ganondorf escape from the Sacred Realm in the past of WW? And the thing with the sages has already been explained.

It has? Huh?

Whew! That took a while.

//
Yeah. There's no need to take this too seriously.
Good, I'm glad you agree. Maybe Kazu's right. You wanna continue this over PM, or just end it, or what?

I don't wanna end it, I wanna hear your thoughts.

And frankly, this is making me want, as a writer, to fill in the gaps there with my own writing.

MAJOR EDIT!
I've been thinking about it, and I think you're right. Without the Triforce, there's nothing to say Ganon couldn't be beaten without the Master Sword. The Sages thing still doesn't make much sense, but there's probably an explanation deep within the complex storyline. So the past of OoT leads to TP and the future of OoT leads to WW. Is that what you're saying? 'cause that makes the most sense to me.

VVayfarer

Smash Journeyman
Good, I'm glad you agree. Maybe Kazu's right. You wanna continue this over PM, or just end it, or what?

I don't wanna end it, I wanna hear your thoughts.

And frankly, this is making me want, as a writer, to fill in the gaps there with my own writing.
To me, this really makes me want to play the games related to OoT again. :)
It felt refreshing to view the stories of the games in a different perspective.

MAJOR EDIT!
I've been thinking about it, and I think you're right. Without the Triforce, there's nothing to say Ganon couldn't be beaten without the Master Sword. The Sages thing still doesn't make much sense, but there's probably an explanation deep within the complex storyline. So the past of OoT leads to TP and the future of OoT leads to WW. Is that what you're saying? 'cause that makes the most sense to me.
Yeah, that's exactly what i were trying to say.
I'm glad we both can agree with this (yeah, i know there are some unfillable gaps, but that's why i'm going to play the games again).

In fact, there's nothing to prove that once he leaves the Temple, he'll remember the events of the future.
I've always thought Link knows everything the player does, and vice versa (how could he have otherwise known about i. e. the song of storms?).

twilight_hero

Smash Lord
To me, this really makes me want to play the games related to OoT again. :)
It felt refreshing to view the stories of the games in a different perspective.

I wanna start Ocarina and Twilight again, but there's no point with Brawl so d@mn close. As for WW, I just beat it. Again.

Yeah, that's exactly what i were trying to say.
I'm glad we both can agree with this (yeah, i know there are some unfillable gaps, but that's why i'm going to play the games again).

As I mentioned, my inner author is urging me to fill those gaps. As it is, my inner author is busy enough with school and the constant two or three stories I work on at a time. :dizzy:

I've always thought Link knows everything the player does, and vice versa (how could he have otherwise known about i. e. the song of storms?).
That's true. What you figure out, Link'd figure out if Hyrule were the real world.

kro17

Smash Rookie
I STILL don't know why everybody hates clones so much. Ugh. I like to think of it this way: We have a set of moves, and they all have pretty good potential. But how will you use them? Will you sacrifice their power, and go light and fast, or sacrifice your speed and use them for more powerful hits?

I've never minded clones, but nonetheless, YL, in my opinion, is one of the best clones you could ever have. He's actually useful. There were redundant clones, yes. Pichu was faster and lighter, much like YL, but had, in my opinion, too many flaws, and just seemed like a weak character. I hardly notice the difference in Dr. Mario and Mario today, and Roy is a slightly more powerful version of Marth.

But then, there's YL. Sure, you could say he's simply a faster, lighter version of Link. At the core he is, but it changes everything. Young Link is a combo stringing master, a projectile monster, and if used right, a pest. Link, due to size, weight, and everything, is quite the contrary, and any master will play them completely differently.

Now, he is a clone, but I see in TL many things I don't see in other characters. He's got fast, effective attacks with impressive knockback. He jumps well, recovers well, and has a number of projectiles at his disposal. And...he's quick. I don't know, there's something about Toon Link that just draws me to him. There's something about him that...flows like other characters haven't. In my opinion, he looks quite broken, but this is a Young Link vet speaking. He's like my previous favorite character, but...better.

So yes. He could've have a unique moveset, sure. But honestly, I think putting in two different versions of a character with the same moves and different style is better than putting in two different versions of the same character with different moves. It would just be odd.
i've just been skimming this thread, and disagreeing with everything until this post. Pretty much agreed with everything said here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uX_vq-xUMLM&feature=related
perfect video for this topic, and in my opinion, TL looks broken. Like the quoted post above me, he's everything from Young Link but improved upon. TL's air offense looks... absurd.

San Diego, CA (in Yo Mama's house!) PM ME IF U WAN
i've just been skimming this thread, and disagreeing with everything until this post. Pretty much agreed with everything said here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uX_vq-xUMLM&feature=related
perfect video for this topic, and in my opinion, TL looks broken. Like the quoted post above me, he's everything from Young Link but improved upon. TL's air offense looks... absurd.
What do you mean disagreeing with everything here except that? A lot of people have said that he could've had a unique Moveset yes, but I'm sure many have said that his Moveset now is great how it is...
Also remember, he's not only a Link clone (actually a Luigi-fied version), but he's also part Marth. That's why his Aerials are godly :)

kro17

Smash Rookie
What do you mean disagreeing with everything here except that? A lot of people have said that he could've had a unique Moveset yes, but I'm sure many have said that his Moveset now is great how it is...
Also remember, he's not only a Link clone (actually a Luigi-fied version), but he's also part Marth. That's why his Aerials are godly :)
lol i guess i meant disagreeing with everything i read on the first page :p i read them all complaining about how he's a clone, but after watching the video i linked (probably been posted already on these forums), it's clear that he's a clone, but it's also clear that he has a vastly different play-style, and TL is YL but improved upon in every way. Makes me so happy that I can play a good young link.

in other news, 41 hours til i get to play this game. /drool

lol i guess i meant disagreeing with everything i read on the first page :p i read them all complaining about how he's a clone, but after watching the video i linked (probably been posted already on these forums), it's clear that he's a clone, but it's also clear that he has a vastly different play-style, and TL is YL but improved upon in every way. Makes me so happy that I can play a good young link.

in other news, 41 hours til i get to play this game. /drool
Oh ok. Well in time, people will accept the fact that he's a clone and better than Link :chuckle:
Yeah, that's the point of putting in clones: to put in a character (ex. Falco), but instead of balancing him, a clone was put in to give a completely different play-style. Toon Link, although only half a clone of Link, plays completely differently from Link.
What do you mean "play a good YLink?" You didn't think YLink was good enough in Melee huh? You only like him better in Brawl coz he has Marth Aerials...jkjk hahaha

Onion Knight

Smash Cadet
The clone thing bugs me, but what disappoints me the most is the fact TLink has the same final smash attack. Lame......

kin3tic-c4jun-3

Smash Ace
Clones offer completely different play styles to familiar characters, end of story, I'm sorry, that's just how it is.

So he's got similar moves, but he PLAYS alot different. TLink can spam arrows. The spin is different. What do you people want? Let's say instead of a spin attack TLink had something else... What is *any* Link without a spin attack?

They need to keep characters accurate and familiar, when htey start deviating it's no longer a Nintendo character, but rather a character Sakurai MADE for Brawl, not a Nintendo character that JOINED Brawl. They chose movements that suit the character best. Changing it would inevitably leave other things out.

Does anyone else share this view? This is obviously for TLink specifically.

Clones offer completely different play styles to familiar characters, end of story, I'm sorry, that's just how it is.

So he's got similar moves, but he PLAYS alot different. TLink can spam arrows. The spin is different. What do you people want? Let's say instead of a spin attack TLink had something else... What is *any* Link without a spin attack?

They need to keep characters accurate and familiar, when htey start deviating it's no longer a Nintendo character, but rather a character Sakurai MADE for Brawl, not a Nintendo character that JOINED Brawl. They chose movements that suit the character best. Changing it would inevitably leave other things out.

Does anyone else share this view? This is obviously for TLink specifically.
Instead of Spin Attack? Deku Leaf is one for starters...

Sakurai planned Toon Link to be a "clone" because Toon Link is basically Young Link with new Marth-like Aerials. Changing it would most likely leave out the things Link ALWAYS has, but since Toon Link is from Wind Waker, a different type of LoZ game, it leaves out things where that specific Link is from.
Aren't Nintendo characters supposed to be made in order to be in the game in the first place? I don't remember ever using the Triforce Slash in any LoZ game, or using Falcon Punch in F-Zero (but that'd be down). Also, Ganon used a sword (or two) in the LoZ games I played...
Familiarity is cool, but making moves actually gives the game it's good rep as part fighting game (a part game is actually what Smash is supposed to be anyway).
I love how Toon Link is godly, but I feel weird that I played a low-tier who turned into a high-tier. Now everyone and their mother is gonna just choose him, just like Fox and Falco in Melee.

nerdswithguns

Smash Rookie
haha i just though of something for all you toon link is a clone people. technically ww came before tp soo... that would mean that normal link is a clone of toon link!!!

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
I've been playing with Toon Link for a couple days now, and I've realized something important for everyone to note.

Toon Link is NOT a clone. There is one main reason for this statement:

ALL OF TOON LINK'S IMPORTANT MOVES, ARE THE UNIQUE ONES.

There, I said it. Yes, it's true. Toon Link's most used, important, and best moves are his Bair, Nair, Fair, and Up-smash. It just so happens that these are the unique moves to Toon Link. His F-smash is kinda slow, only used for killer potential later on, and his D-smash has completely different mechanics than Adult Link's.

Niko90

Smash Cadet
Play a few matches as TP Link...

...then play a few matches as Toon Link. You will have noticed the difference(s) instantly. They are completely different.

Foxy_Marth

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5129-1951-3128
I think Toon Link should be called better link, seriously he`s much better IMO. They are kinda clones, but Toon Link`s combos, projectiles, and other properties are better.

Top Bottom