• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Clone or Not? Let's Discuss!

San Diego, CA (in Yo Mama's house!) PM ME IF U WAN
What I meant was that Toon Link doesn't have any moves that define who he is that are exclusive from his games. This leads me back to my theory that Brawl was rushed. They wouldn't intentionally give Wolf another Landmaster. It's not like there were Final Smashes in Melee and Wolf Melee players (sarcasm) would have to adapt to a new Final Smash.
Ooh I see what you mean.

Well that's what the a lot of people say about Toon Link (the ones that wanted him to be more unique that is).

I also thought that Brawl rushed, but I only think it's because of the really good graphics. They were probably gonna make Wolf really different (look at his stance), but then started to lose time and made him Fox-like.
Toon Link I can't really be sure about, but I have a hunch he was meant to be really different 'cause he has that potential. Either that or Sakurai really wanted to be like YLink :(
Same goes for Ganon, he's still somewhat like C. Falcon, he could've used a sword (yes, there are a lot sword users in the game as it is, but Pit never had a sword). IMO his FS seems fine, but it could've been a little different (more thrashing around and whatnot), because C. Falcon's seems to perfectly fit.

What would be really cool if in later years, there would be some kind of Brawl 1.5 where the clones changed for what they could be, more stages (maybe), and a few new features, but that's very unlikely to happen.

Clones: Toon link = Link? No. So therefore. TL is not a clone.
Why does it even matter??
You might want to support yourself with that statement. Why is he not a clone?

It matters because Toon Link could've been really unique in his own way. But he's not. He's based on TP Link's moveset, with only a few different moves. Remember, a clone in Smash means the character had a moveset based on another character's moveset, with a some transitions (like some attacks will be stronger etc. etc.).

I could make a long list of how he could've been unique, but I need to go somewhere right now. A few examples are that the HookShot could've been the Grappling Hook, the Arrows could've been the Skull Hammer, and the FS could've been based on the Wind Waker. If you want to see a list of how he could've been different, click on my sig (the big WW Link one).

Tabris-

Smash Apprentice
Toon Link is as much a clone of Link than Roy was of Marth. Or vice versa depending on how you see things.

Mama

Smash Ace
Toon Link a clone? No. Just because his moves are based off of another characters does not make him a clone. He's very very different in the way that he moves. If you think he's a clone then please understand that you are an noob no way around it I'm sorry...

Toon Link a clone? No. Just because his moves are based off of another characters does not make him a clone. He's very very different in the way that he moves. If you think he's a clone then please understand that you are an noob no way around it I'm sorry...
Wow that's kind of sad. A clone in Smash means that the character's moveset was based off another's...so you are actually teh n00b :)
Cool that you wouldn't want him to be a "clone", 'cause I didn't but I'm gonna still main him XD

Toon Link isn't a clone though. Like most people have said here, he's been Luigi-fied. I'm not really sure about Ganon and Falco, but I believe the characters believed to be "clones" in Brawl have been Luigi-fied, ex. Lucas and Wolf (from what I hear, he's had the same sort of reputation in Brawl as Toon Link). Lucario opposed to Mewtwo in Melee seems somewhat Luigi-fied, only looking at the vids though.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Wow that's kind of sad. A clone in Smash means that the character's moveset was based off another's...so you are actually teh n00b :)
Cool that you wouldn't want him to be a "clone", 'cause I didn't but I'm gonna still main him XD

Toon Link isn't a clone though. Like most people have said here, he's been Luigi-fied. I'm not really sure about Ganon and Falco, but I believe the characters believed to be "clones" in Brawl have been Luigi-fied, ex. Lucas and Wolf (from what I hear, he's had the same sort of reputation in Brawl as Toon Link). Lucario opposed to Mewtwo in Melee seems somewhat Luigi-fied, only looking at the vids though.
Toon Link is not Luigified, his is Dr.Mario-fied. To be "Luigi-fied" your specials at least have to have different properties. Lucas, Wolf and Luigi can be classified as Luigified, no one else. All of Toon Link's specials have the same properties as Link's with minor alterations. You can't be too lenient when judging if someone is a clone. I can see us getting a Mario is a baeball outfit in Smash 4 and he has a different taunt, and everyone will be calling him Luigi-fied XD!

Tyty210

Smash Rookie
Toon Link is not Luigified, his is Dr.Mario-fied. To be "Luigi-fied" your specials at least have to have different properties. Lucas, Wolf and Luigi can be classified as Luigified, no one else. All of Toon Link's specials have the same properties as Link's with minor alterations. You can't be too lenient when judging if someone is a clone. I can see us getting a Mario is a baeball outfit in Smash 4 and he has a different taunt, and everyone will be calling him Luigi-fied XD!
His specials do have different properties. And his OverB has a large difference, as it doesn't pull people in, and a few of his A moves are different (Mostly the air ones).

And how can no other characters be classified as luigified?

poorboy93

Smash Cadet
You might want to support yourself with that statement. Why is he not a clone?

It matters because Toon Link could've been really unique in his own way. But he's not. He's based on TP Link's moveset, with only a few different moves. Remember, a clone in Smash means the character had a moveset based on another character's moveset, with a some transitions (like some attacks will be stronger etc. etc.).

I could make a long list of how he could've been unique, but I need to go somewhere right now. A few examples are that the HookShot could've been the Grappling Hook, the Arrows could've been the Skull Hammer, and the FS could've been based on the Wind Waker. If you want to see a list of how he could've been different, click on my sig (the big WW Link one).
He would be very awkward playing with anykind of link with a diffrent moveset than the intended one, Any link could fit his original moveset including TL. His bombs, boomarang, arrows and the spin atack are links basic weapon of choice, those weapons have been persistent in every link game made -_-. Therefore it would be really really awkward using a link that didnt have those kind of moveset. His A moves could have had some WW refrence, but at the cost at using less sword moves, and the fact that it would be even more awkward without some more sword moves, they prob left it in. I think personally brawl was rushed and the didnt need a TL but it was requested, many people wanted one playable. His FS should have been diffrent with a WW or PH reffrence but it stayed the same. My point is that any playable link would have been very very awkward without his assential weapons, but that would conflict with the fact that he would be a clone. AND for the guy who says hes Dr. Mario-fied is bull****. YOU CAN PLAY DR. MARIO THE SAME AS MARIO. TL HAS DIFFRENT PROPERTIES THAN LINK. Hes semi cloned because of the fact that you cannot play Link and TL the same be smart before saying something stupid

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Toon Link has almost ALL ORIGINAL ANIMATIONS! His up B is all jacked from Young Link in Melee, in which he had origianl animations. His bow and arrow pulling out animations is quite a bit diffrent. His boomerang is a purely original attack (sorta; it's based off Link's in Melee, but I think it could have track opponents sorta), and his bombs have original pulling out animations, effects (cel-shaded), and whatnot. His aerials all do original attacks basically, with original animations. His Final Smash is a diffrent animation, but does the same thing. However, he slashes COMPLETELY diffrently. His tilts are quite diffrent, his smashes have some borrowed animations, and his taunts are just TOO GODLY!

He's got 2/4 of the same B moves, true, but they're quite diffrent. His smash attacks are more diffrent then Ganondorf to Captain Falcon in Melee, and maybe even more then Luigi to Mario in Melee. Seriously, his down smash has original animation, his forward smash is borrowed animation, but it does a diffrent effect, his up smash I think is brand new (or semi-new), his tilts are pretty much original (aside from the standard 3 hit slice, but no one cares about those), and his rapid slash I think is original. His aerieals are very original.

Compare Toon Young Link to every Melee veteran clone, and his aerials are BY FAR the most original. He tops out Luigi, easily (because of same up air, and back air). He's got only A FEW borrowed animations. His smash attacks and bombs are basically all that are cloned off. If anything, he's the most "originated" veteran clone, if you consider him "a veteran" (since he is technically "Young Link", but a diffrent "Young Link").

Let me put this into proportions. His aerials compared to Links are as diffrent as Marth's and Mario's. His smash attacks are as original as Falco's. (one stolen animation for one smash attack, one smash attack with similar effects, and one completely original smash attack). His tilts are as original as Ganondorf's. His B moves are probably the most clooney, and they aren't that clooney. Again, only two attacks are the same, but the bow and arrows have original animation (but do similar effects), and the bombs have original animation, and sorta "impact" you diffrently. All the B move animations are original.

Overall, he only borrows the same animations for like 4 attacks AT MOST, and about 7 do sorta similar effects. He's easily the most decloned character for Melee. He makes Luigi in Melee look like Dr. Mario, the more you watch people play him. I'm not even sure if you can call him a SEMI-CLONE, for that much, just like Falco. So far, I think Wolf is the only clone, and he's like a semi-semi clone (of Falco, oddly enough). :laugh:

Watch the animation, effect, speed, rate, etc. diffrences, and DISCOVER ORIGINALITY! ;)

TidalSpiral

Smash Journeyman
I mean... I know some of you just love any version of a Young Link, but it seems like a stretch to seperate him from the University of Clonehood. Is he exactly the same? No, nobody can say that. Are those very minute differences enough to legitimately seperate him as a character? I don't think so. Honestly Falco and Wolf being so similar with Fox doesn't feel so bad to me (except the FS thing but as I've said before, not too important since those rarely show up) because in Star Fox they are shown to be nearly identical in abilities anyway. Even they got more uniqueness though than both Y./T. Link or Ganondorf.

Am I pleased enough with having 12 - 13 totally unique new fighters and tons of new items? Hell yeah. However as a loyal fan of this series I insist on pointing out what I consider to be issues... and the only problems I have with the game are these two Zelda characters. Ganondorf is begging to be different - Young Link could easily get at least a couple unique attacks. That's all I'd tell Sakurai if I met him.

Skillface

Smash Cadet
TL Had so much potential because he was from a completely different series of Zelda games, WW and PH.

He could have used any items from any of those games, but instead he was given the same items as the last game. I guess they aren't the SAME items, the bombs have the trademark WW styled explosion, and the boomerang/bow are the same as those from WW. But he could have had some unique ones, what with the Deku Leaf, the grappling hook, the skull hammer and etc.

I'm still happy he's in it, don't get me wrong. If he had some unique attacks, I'd be even happier.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
All his aireals, his grabs, tether recovery, one of his smash attacks (one is semi-original), all but one of his tilts (but who cares about forward tilt; it SHOULD be the same), and two of his B move are COMPLETELY original. Most of the rest have original animations plus slightly diffrent effect.s ;) There is the celebration in originality. ;)

TidalSpiral

Smash Journeyman
All his aireals, his grabs, tether recovery, one of his smash attacks (one is semi-original), all but one of his tilts (but who cares about forward tilt; it SHOULD be the same), and two of his B move are COMPLETELY original. Most of the rest have original animations plus slightly diffrent effect.s ;) There is the celebration in originality. ;)
So if I pull a bomb out from my left pocket rather than my right, I have a unique move... or if I start a spinning slash over my head as opposed to at torso level, it's completely original? lol I'm not trying to be an *** but all his B moves are the SAME. That also goes for directions you fly... that is not to say it doesn't effect the way they fight, cause yes it changes things very much for how you would use it. However the point is you could switch it to be a strategically unique move instead of something that just requires different timing but executes in a near identical way.

Like the three Star Fox reflectors. Each one operates in different mechanics but that's not enough to make me claim it's three original moves. They are so obviously the same thing just with different timing attributed to them. And yet they are still more different than this... a boomerang that just hits instead of pulling a slight amount, SO ORIGINAL. lol

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
So if I pull a bomb out from my left pocket rather than my right, I have a unique move... or if I start a spinning slash over my head as opposed to at torso level, it's completely original? lol I'm not trying to be an *** but all his B moves are the SAME. That also goes for directions you fly... that is not to say it doesn't effect the way they fight, cause yes it changes things very much for how you would use it. However the point is you could switch it to be a strategically unique move instead of something that just requires different timing but executes in a near identical way.

Like the three Star Fox reflectors. Each one operates in different mechanics but that's not enough to make me claim it's three original moves. They are so obviously the same thing just with different timing attributed to them. And yet they are still more different than this... a boomerang that just hits instead of pulling a slight amount, SO ORIGINAL. lol
If you pull a bomb out of your right pocket instead of your left, you throw it, it has original throwing animation, and it effects the opponent almost COMPLETELY diffrently, and has diffrent knockback, with really few, if any stolen frames, then that's a clone move. RIGHT! [/sarcasm] It might not be original, but it isn't the same. Everything about it, from start to finish, is diffrent. His up B has diffrent animations. It does a completely diffrent effect. It has diffrent spinning and slashing frames. The boomerange ACTUALLY does damage vs. the waste of the gale boomerang. It has original animation, and might (notice I said might) have a tracking ability like Samus' missles...sorta. (I've heard from places o_O)

Toon Link has original aerials. The only one that's the same is the swordplant, and it's completely original animations, bouncings off opponents vs. sucking b***s like Link's, spikes, and makes you fast fall. Everything about it is diffrent. All the rest of the aerieals Toon Link has are more like basically any character BUT Mario.

Are you kidding me? Wolf is a lot closer to Falco then Toon Link is to Link.

Wolf has about two original aerials. Toon Link has five (the swordplant has original animation, original knockback, and original effects). Wolf has few original smash attacks frames, and they generally do the same thing as Falco. Toon Link's frames are generally original, and do much diffrent from Link's attack's effects. Toon Link's grab game is original. Wolf's grabs are...well...sorta confuseding (new word! :laugh:). I can't really tell, but there are a lot of original frames in there, I can tell you that much.

Toon Link's tilts are completely original EXCEPT for the forward tilt. Wolf has about two or three completely original tilts. Toon Link has two completely original special attacks in the Boomerang and Spin Attack, with the bombs and bow and arrow have completely original frames, effects, knockback, and so on. Wolf has three original special attacks (the shine is way diffrent in effect), with the blaster being sorta original. It has some of the same frames possibly, but most of them look original, comparing the three (his pose is much diffrent). Toon Link has one completely original smash attack, one with almost all original frames, if not all original frames (down smash; haven't seen it much, so I'm unsure) (also with very original stun, knockback, and effect), and one that has some (not sure how many) original frames.

Wolf statistically is almost the same as Fox, Falco, and Wolf. There attacks have very original frames, and pretty original effect, and stun. But their stats are what make them seem very "clooney". Toon Link's special moves are decieving, but alas, they are basically all original in animation, effect, stun, knockback, range, and everything. In other words, they are ORIGINAL ATTACKS! Clones are dead in Brawl. We got semi-clones, and that's it. When everything is original with a "similar-looking" attack, it does not mean it's a cloned attack. It usually means you are overspeculating.

The fact is, clones aren't in Brawl. We don't know anything about Brawl, aside from those who play it. And they say these "clones" are very original. I think we should take their word for it. The word "clone" in Brawl is dead. "semi-clones" are what we'll see, from now on, in this "new" game. "New, original, fun" game. In Melee, clones play pretty diffrently. In Brawl, I've seen a few Link vs. Toon Link duels, and their moves come out and finish original (most of the time), they do original effects, they move diffrently, they have original effects, they do diffrent knockback and impact amounts, and they're just overall much diffrent. With Melee the small diffrences with Fox and Falco, for example, created a completely diffrent meta-game with each other...well...ALMOST!

With Brawl, Toon Link might be more like Squirtle and Sonic then Link. If you watch these moves closely, see how they effect opponents, watch the range, and watch the character who is performing them's stance, you'll se just how much diffrent they are. As much as I would have liked Toon Link to have his Skull Hammer as his nuetral B (stealing Kirby's Hammer animations, if he must), Deku Leaf as his down B (steal Peach's animations for the Parasol while floating if you must, along with original wooshing over his head stunning animations), and Four Swords Links (or summon the Wind Gods) as his Final Smash, this is what we got. And if you look closely at everything, you'll see Toon Link is more an original character then a clone.

I Always disliked Young Link...An i'lll Continue to dislike him as Toon Link, i Hate clones waste Of a character Spot, Some other unique Character could be in brawl instead of toon link.
If it wasn't for clones, Melee would have 20 characters. It'd be the same roster, minus 6 clones. Maybe Luigi would be further decloned. And if you were lucky, Falco would be what he is now. If there weren't "clones" in Brawl, in which they all generally have original frames, and do original effects (thus, the term "semi-clone" comes to mind), we'd have the same roster, but not clones. And maybe Luigi with a three or four more original moves. It'd be a 35 (moveset) character roster, not a 39.

Compare and contrast. Most of us would prefer a delay to make Young Link original, yes, but this is better then no characters at all. You aren't a director, you don't know anything about how to make video games, and you don't know how to make a smash game. Seriously, GTFO troll! Go back to your clone killing friends whereever you came. If it wasn't a clone in Melee, it would have been an assist trophy or a Pokéball Pokémon. You've never played Brawl. People who have say he's fairly original. Clones are dead in Brawl anyways, despite this, but "semi-clones" take their place. Stop whinning like a spoiled 3 year old and get over yourself.

And learn to add periods, use the cap button properly, etc. while you're at it! :laugh:

Skillface

Smash Cadet
I Always disliked Young Link...An i'lll Continue to dislike him as Toon Link, i Hate clones waste Of a character Spot, Some other unique Character could be in brawl instead of toon link.

Wow, that's one of the most ignorant posts I've seen here in a while. It's irrational to hate clones, they're just characters based off of the original character. If we didn't have clones, we wouldn't have Falco or Lucas and people would be pissing and moaning even more. Toon Link is a clone, but he's in no way similar to Link's playing style.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
John Knight, you're drunk. Wolf is EXTREMELY more different than Fox as Toon Link is to Link. That is the general concensus with EVERYONE that has played the game. STOP.BEING.IN.DEINAL!

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Oh...sorry, my appologies...But, I still think that Toon Link is the closes clone.

R.Y.N.O

Smash Journeyman
He is not a clone. Or should I say a complete clone. His B moves are the same but that does not make him a clone. 3/4 of his aerials are different. Dash attack is different. Up smash is different. Side Smash is different(sort of, the first slash is different but the second slash is the same.). Side b is different. They are not completely clones but they are not all different either. He is more like luigi was in melee. Maybe a little bit more clonish.

He is not a clone. Or should I say a complete clone. His B moves are the same but that does not make him a clone. 3/4 of his aerials are different. Dash attack is different. Up smash is different. Side Smash is different(sort of, the first slash is different but the second slash is the same.). Side b is different. They are not completely clones but they are not all different either. He is more like luigi was in melee. Maybe a little bit more clonish.
Yes exactly, he's Luigi-fied. I can't remember who told me that he was Dr. Mario-fied, but no. He's Luigi-fied. His attacks have a different look and effect, whereas Doc opposed to Mario only has different effects, but the attacks look the same.
He's basically a buffed Young Link, with different moves.

Spartan1841

Smash Journeyman
Why do people hate clones so much
Ever since I heard about brawl I thought about the characters and I didnt mind any clones at all
Toon Link is like young link which is like Link so yes hes a clone

KazuTheNut

Smash Apprentice
Canada, Quebec, around the border between Ontario
Why do people hate clones so much
Ever since I heard about brawl I thought about the characters and I didnt mind any clones at all
Toon Link is like young link which is like Link so yes hes a clone
I don't mind clones, personnaly. As long as they're different enough to be called atleast a semi-different character, I don't really mind.

But I WAS rather dispointed with how they made Ganon in Melee, but now he's different enough to be called a different character, so I'm fine with him.

firebird34

Smash Apprentice
He is the same character as link except different looking so he is a clone end of story i don't care if you like him or not he is a clone don't fight it.

KazuTheNut

Smash Apprentice
I already said this quite a few times, but I don't peronnaly mind clones, nor do I see why everyone hates them.

Last I checked, in Melee, Falco was Top Tier, so most people played him. He was a clone, so why treat Toonie any differently?

Actualy, I'll be honnest, I want most people to hate clones, for the sole intention of using them and killing the "actual" clones (In this case, Link)

Davy Jones

Smash Ace
Toon Link is Link from another dimension, he has nothing to do with Link. Let's find him a better name, like "The Wind Walker", how does this sound?

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Toon Link is Link from another dimension, he has nothing to do with Link. Let's find him a better name, like "The Wind Walker", how does this sound?
Toon Link's from the same dimension, just a different time period.

KazuTheNut

Smash Apprentice
The main director of the Zelda series (I can't remember his name, sue me) said that there's no actual timeline in the Zelda universe in a Nintendo Power issue, if I recall correctly.

So, Wind Waker and Oot/TP might not even be connected. My guess is that the only 4 games that have a continuing timeline would be OoT and Majora's Mask, aswell as our favorite little toon's series, Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass.

Top Bottom