• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Clicking of Gamecube controllers

Captain Anthony

Smash Apprentice
Okay, this has been bugging me for a while now.

I, like most other people, have been watching a lot of videos people have uploaded onto YouTube of their latest Brawl matches. But every time I watch a video that is shot off screen, I can't watch it with the sound on because of:

CLICK CLICK CLACK CLICK CLACK CLACK CLICKCLICKCLICK CLACK CLACK CLACKCLACK CLICK CLICK CLACK CLICK CLICKCLACK CLICK.

I am apparently the only person on the entire planet who is annoyed to high Hell by this, because nobody else seems to complain. Perhaps other people have gotten used to it, but I truly cannot stand it. I usually turn the volume off when watching videos with this incessant clacking, but watching Super Smash Brothers without sound is pretty unfulfilling.

But this is what I don't understand. When I play Melee, my controller doesn't sound like it's in a blender. I play Free-For-Alls with some pretty intense players, and never once has our gameplay sounded like explosive bubble wrap. So why on some of these videos is it so loud that you can't even hear the music?

Could it be the microphone on the camera?

But here's another thing that bothers me. When watching a video there is frequently CLICKCLICK CLACK CLACK CLICK CLACK CLICK CLICK CLICKCLICK when all the character is doing is walking across the stage. I must not be very good at Melee, because I don't hammer my control stick thirty times to to move a fourth of the way across Final Destination. How is it possible there is constant noise when characters are barely even moving?

So, what I want to know is:
1. Is it the mic that is exaggerating these sounds?
2. Why don't I, or anybody I know, hear these sounds when we play?
3. How can it sound like dumping a jar of marbles on a hardwood floor when characters are barely moving?

chaos_zero

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-0222-2373-0059
I totally and wholeheartedly agree. Sometimes the character is barely moving, but it sounds like he's using every finger to press every button at least 5 times a second.

Mr.Snifflez

Smash Cadet
I dunno but in 2008 im sure they have perfected the art of lower your volume...some people have music on their computer that they can play over...I dont know if its too advanced for you guys or anything...just a thought

iron blade

Smash Ace
I noticed this too. Sometimes the character was just walking forward and it sounded like they were breaking the analog stick off.

kr3wman

Smash Master
Isn't it because you have to press L/R all the way down to shield now?

I don't really get it either, since I don't really listen to videos who don't need sound to be understood.

NinjaT2D

Smash Cadet
this thread is stupid. no one cares about clicking when watching brawl matches. someone lock this thread please!

Kye L

Smash Apprentice
The reason there's so much clacking even when they're just moving forwards slightly is because they're not just moving forwards slightly; they're using an advanced technique that involves making the input to walk forwards and the input to walk backwards at the same time. It's called spacewalking. It's good for da mindgaems.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
It's because you can't just tap the shield button like in melee and since shield cancelling dashes is pretty important than yeah

Also you dont hear it when you play because you are focused on the game. When you are playing one day pay attention and you will hear it and it will be lik the same thing lol >_>

Blue sHell

Smash Journeyman
Obviously my video just under this topic is your prime example here, eh...

In most cases the controls really don't sound like that if your in the room. Sure they make alot of noise, but they don't echo like they do in the videos. We had our camera right behind us, so the noise of the controls is the closest sound to the camera, and it amplified it....alot.

In general though, in brawl not only do you have to click the R button all the way down to block now, but with the C stick and Control stick along side that, it's pretty obvious it'll be noisy.

Ruggeth

Smash Journeyman
Yeah. I've seen too many videos of people ****** their controller.

"OH CRAP IM GETTING SO INTENSE AGH -throws controller- AHG JOYSTICK WORK HARDER -twists-"

Really, its annoying.

SaxyPlayah

Smash Apprentice
I dunno but in 2008 im sure they have perfected the art of lower your volume...some people have music on their computer that they can play over...I dont know if its too advanced for you guys or anything...just a thought
I usually turn the volume off when watching videos with this incessant clacking, but watching Super Smash Brothers without sound is pretty unfulfilling.
I'd read someones entire post before being arrogant...

Anyway, you are probably making a lot of sound with the controller but are into the match to really notice, lol. That happens at my house and i get yelled at by my dad when hes trying to sleep, lol. Also some players are pros in vids im sure and are maybe trying to find advanced techniques or something so they press 5+ buttons at a time to try and discover things....thats my guess.....

aaron123

Smash Cadet
CLICK CLACK CLACK CLICK CLACK CLICKITY CLACK

Do you hear that sound? What's that sound? It's my hooves!!

Jumpinjahosafa

Smash Ace
You clack just as much when you play too, you just don't notice it. Becase you're playing.

Record yourself playing with a few friends, you'll hear just as much clacking.

I was actually at a melee overnight last night, and i couldnt sleep because my NON PRO friend's clacking was so loud.

Ice Ninja

Smash Cadet
NNID
Iceninja77
Think about where the camera is positioned. It is closer to the players than the screen in most of these videos, hence the clicking stands out a lot more. And yes it is annoying.

RedMage8BT

Smash Lord
I don't mind it when there's an intense 1 v 1 on FD in Melee pitting Fox against Falco, but I do mind it if I'm watching a Brawl 1 v 1 match on Smashville pitting Dedede against Ness, with neither character moving that much. They're doing it because they're used to, even though it's not helping.

Demon_machinE

Smash Journeyman
Well, the original post was really funny and well written, but the most likely explanation is that, while he is an amusing, clever, and funny person, he is equally a wicked noob.

Captain Anthony

Smash Apprentice
Well, the original post was really funny and well written, but the most likely explanation is that, while he is an amusing, clever, and funny person, he is equally a wicked noob.
I'm not sure why I'm a noob. How is being annoyed and confused by the controller noises idiotic? I mean, I even went as far as possible explaining/justifying it myself. Yet I'm a noob?

Edit: Thank you for your praise, however. I suppose it's a fair trade off.

Tatsujinken

Smash Journeyman
The clicking sounds are normal. Even in Melee matches, when someone tried to dash dance or l-cancel or whatever, then you'd definitely hear these sounds. Blame the controller.

Terrorcon Blot

Smash Journeyman
Smashing the analog and c-sticks for attacks does create a light "clack". It's more noticeable than when you yourself play because of the volume of things (TV, background music, friend chatter) can drown it out.

As stated, the camera is closer to the controllers being used than the TV, and the recording will pick that up sooner.

However, that doesn't stop so many people from seemingly assaulting their controllers as they try to play "advanced super awesome mega mind games". I've heard clacking in some of these videos BEFORE THE MATCH EVEN BEGAN. Maybe they just like clacking.

Osi

Smash Ace
I tend to clack before a match when I haven't had a controller in my hands. I think a lot of ppl do it to warm up a little bit before starting.

A lot of clacks come from short hops... mine are more noise than my control stick makes in most matches. As a fox that's a lot of little clicks each match normally. I played a few guys in melee that sound like they are killing the analog stick in videos, but playing with them in the room it's just the normal amount of noise. I'm pretty sure it's just the camera being too close to the controllers and the TV audio not being picked up.

Honestly tho..... what does it matter. 9/10 melee/brawl vids record from a direct feed to the tv, so it's not like you hear it that often, and even then you can mute it so fast on a pc it shouldn't be an issue. Certainly not one that needs its own thread. Go put a camera behind you while playing with friends for 15 min and see how much clacking there is.

Thrull

Smash Cadet
I think this is a result of the innate human desire to hit other people in the face really hard. The player feels he can do more damage to his or her opponent, perhaps even reaching through the wires and physically hurting them, if he mashes his control stick as hard as possible for every attack and action.

StealthFighterX

Smash Journeyman
I tend to clack when short hoping cuz of the way i slip my thumb against the jump button. Clacking dosent bother me though. Its just how pro smashers play. Or most smashers...i think.

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
Whenever I hear loud buttons on videos, it takes me about 3 seconds to turn the volume down and turn my radio on. OP, this is probably why people don't complain about it, they don't listen to it....

Bensei

Smash Cadet
Never considered the clicking in melee before my friend told me to turn the sound of during me and my brother competing to hear how freaking fast they smash the buttons

Top Bottom