• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Classic Mode

How do you like the new Classic Mode?

• I like it.

Votes: 16 55.2%
  • I'm neutral.

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • I don't like it.

Votes: 6 20.7%

• Total voters

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
So for the new Classic Mode in the Wii U version, you play on a board where you choose which group of fighters to battle each round. Other than that, it seems to work similar to in the 3DS, where there's a roulette where you can pick your reward and the sliding scale difficulty. It seems to have up to 8 player battles, which is a far departure from the classic mode in the n64 version where you mostly only fought one character at a time. It also has a co-op mode.

Screenshots:

Last edited:

the.tok

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2767-0503-3415
I have to play it to have a proper opinion, but from what I saw I kind of like it, just like I liked the one on 3DS.

What I like is the possibility of co-op play seems to have been enhanced throughout the modes. This one can be fun with 2P :)

LiamMail

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Liam5d26
8 player smash might be painful to play for me

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It might end up being very chaotic when you start rising the intensity level. Fighting off 7 fighters on intensity level 9.0 might turn into a nightmare.

MajorMajora

Smash Ace
It seems like quite an interesting idea: several characters fighting in a competition. Several battles happen parallel to each other, and you get to choose which one you fight in. The number of fighters each time slowly dwindles down as only you and a few others remain by the end. The last man standing fights off against master hand! I think this, along with the master fortress as a good finish, will be the best campaign mode smash has known.

I wonder about the rival system: will you get more loot if you beat your rival while he/she's strongest? Imagine that as the final battle before the fight against Master hand!

Captain Hayabusa

Smash Rookie
I still have yest to play the new classic mode, but it looks great! A few questions, if I see a character with a wrench on their trophy, will they give me a custom move? Co-Op will be perfect in terms of getting final smash and character trophies quickly! All in all, I'm just wondering if we can do co-op classic/ all star mode online, and hoping I'll have a lot of playtime with this game :083:

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
It looks like it's pretty much the same as the 3DS one gameplay-wise, only with more choices, 8-player battles, and the rival.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
As for the fighters who possess rewards, such as gold, trophies, or equipment, I'm assuming that you have to be the one to KO them to get those rewards.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
I like that you have a better idea of what you're getting yourself into before each match.

Being able to avoid certain stages and characters is nice.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I checked out that video last night. Apparently, you can't choose to not fight Master Core, which was completely possible to do in Smash 3DS, except on intensity levels 8.0 and higher.

PKNinja95

Smash Ace
NNID
AKninja95
3DS FC
3351-4567-0361
From what I have seen, it looks pretty cool.

I would just go towards the group that has the most loot(custom moves, trophies, Gold etc) because i'm greedy like that

Rew

Smash Journeyman
Classic mode definitely looks more challenging in this game than in the 3DS version. There is a whole extra round, you can be fighting in a free-for-all against up to 7 other characters (the max was 3 on 3DS), and there are 20 Mii Fighters in the penultimate round (vs. the 10 on 3DS), in addition to Master Fortress on 8.0+ and the necessity of fighting Master Core on 5.1+ without the option of choosing an easier boss at the end. And it looks like we don't have the same colored pathways denoting difficulty level this time--you just have to jump in with whatever match-up looks better to you.

All-Star is also more challenging, as instead of giving you 2 Heart Containers, 1 Fairy, and 1 Maxim Tomato, that other Heart Container has been swapped out with a Maxim Tomato, giving you 2 tomatoes and only 1 heart. And there is a challenge for clearing All-Star on Normal... without using healing items. Oy!

LordVacation

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SpaceVacation
I like it a lot.

My biggest gripe is it seems to not care about putting 5-8 player Smash on any stage so... why... Why... WHY can we not use any stage on our own time!?!?!

Maybe I saw something wrong, idk.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Classic mode definitely looks more challenging in this game than in the 3DS version. There is a whole extra round, you can be fighting in a free-for-all against up to 7 other characters (the max was 3 on 3DS), and there are 20 Mii Fighters in the penultimate round (vs. the 10 on 3DS), in addition to Master Fortress on 8.0+ and the necessity of fighting Master Core on 5.1+ without the option of choosing an easier boss at the end. And it looks like we don't have the same colored pathways denoting difficulty level this time--you just have to jump in with whatever match-up looks better to you.

All-Star is also more challenging, as instead of giving you 2 Heart Containers, 1 Fairy, and 1 Maxim Tomato, that other Heart Container has been swapped out with a Maxim Tomato, giving you 2 tomatoes and only 1 heart. And there is a challenge for clearing All-Star on Normal... without using healing items. Oy!
And since there will only be five Golden Hammers out of 140 challenges, you'll have to be even more careful with when to use them.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
I noticed that the second wave of fighters you go up against use custom moves.

I hope gear isn't included as well.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Seeing as the CPUs may have their custom specials, it's probably clear that the AI will be much smarter with using them in Smash Wii U than in Smash 3DS. This could prove to be a problem for the Master Shadow phase, especially on the higher intensity levels.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
There are both timed challenges and no customization challenges for Classic this time around.

Wonder how sadistic they'll get with them. I think even just "Clear 9.0 with everyone" would be a bit of stretch for the standards of the developers, personally.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It's bad enough having to clear Classic Mode with everyone. I know that Smash Wii U is said to have tougher challenges, but the developers need to know when enough is enough with the difficulty.

Folt

Smash Ace
Confirmed Classic Mode Challenges is beating 9.0 without customs and beating 9.0 without losing a life.

Ouch at that last one.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
So there's basically no reward for simply clearing Classic on intensity level 9.0 then. The amount of Golden Hammer immune challenges is going to be quite massive then.

Folt

Smash Ace
So there's basically no reward for simply clearing Classic on intensity level 9.0 then. The amount of Golden Hammer immune challenges is going to be quite massive then.
I know that the "Beat Classic Mode on 9.0 Intensity without losing a life" is not breakable with the Golden Hammer.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
So it appears that even some of the All-Star Mode challenges are Golden Hammer immune too. That was never the case in Smash 3DS, as you could scapegoat your way out of playing All-Star's harder skill levels in that game.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
I like this version of Classic with the trophies on a board. I'm only neutral because I shouldn't get ripped off when I've been doing good at not getting a continue screen only to have one pop-up because I lost on 8 player Yoshi's Island with items full blast. I mean where is my character even sometimes.

Annoying.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
The 6-8 player matches are indeed the worst part of Classic mode.

I don't know why they even decided that Yoshi's Island (Melee), Castle Siege, and Kongo Jungle 64 were valid stages for it, because they're way too small.

Last edited:

TopSecretZone

Smash Cadet
I know that the "Beat Classic Mode on 9.0 Intensity without losing a life" is not breakable with the Golden Hammer.
Are there any other challenges that are unbreakable with the hammers? I'm assuming 9.0 Intensity challenges are all unbreakable since they're new with the Master Fortress addition. I just don't feel like doing stadium smash things with every character again.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Oddly, it seems that intensity 9.0 without losing any lives is the only 9.0 challenge that's Golden Hammer immune. Fortunately, completing it isn't mandatory for getting all the trophies, but it does offer you some custom equipment.

TopSecretZone

Smash Cadet
Oddly, it seems that intensity 9.0 without losing any lives is the only 9.0 challenge that's Golden Hammer immune. Fortunately, completing it isn't mandatory for getting all the trophies, but it does offer you some custom equipment.
I'll bet that one's not too bad with custom equipment anyway. Enough practice and I'm sure most people could do it without it anyway, custom equipment would just make it a cakewalk.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I feel like not every stage is not allowed in classic

I mean i never ram into pryosphere and gamer the jungle hijinx level for example

EDIT: wait a minute i forgot 8-player limits the stages

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Apparently Classic Mode doesn't do Omega Form versions of the stages, as some of the stages are only compatible with 8-Player Smash while in Omega Form.

Top Bottom