• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Clash Tournaments Will Not Be Streaming At Apex 2015

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
TL;DR, why do people think CT is no longer streaming? Something to do with Chiibo?

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
Bureaucracy, in my Apex? It's more likely than you think.

****ing hell. Wonder what corporate asshats are pulling the strings behind all this. They must be paranoid as all hell if these sorts of measures seem appropriate now.

Last edited:

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Bureaucracy, in my Apex? It's more likely than you think.

****ing hell. Wonder what corporate ******s are pulling the strings behind all this. They must be paranoid as all hell if these sorts of measures seem apprpriate now.
wut happened

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
I can't believe this...... Hopefully the event will still be covered well enough by somebody else so that the viewers back home aren't the ones to lose the most in this.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Well, looks like APEX 2015 will end up becoming the worst APEX for Smash Bros. actually, despite the high numbers of people. No doubt that the Alex Strife Incident, plus this, are red flags that show that the people are too stressed (and too damn stalwart) about it at near the day of the tournament.

Sadly, I don't see this as the best APEX, but it could end up as the worst APEX for Smash Bros. All of this stuff is ludicrous, because I don't think Clash Tournaments has unprofessional actions, APEX does.

What's next? Banning M2K or any other high rank player due to the top tier characters they play? Removing the games before the tournament starts, on the last day? Not allowing SSF2's booth to be there?

This is just my opinion and speculation, APEX will do ANYTHING to just cause a rise out of a community.

QWA

Smash Apprentice
Apex just keeps on getting more disappointing. First no customs, then Alex Strife, then CT not being allowed to stream because Chibo was brave enough to strike back against Strife. I wonder what else are they going to do next.
Well, they cut out the Project M community, so there's that.

Boss N

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Boss-N
3DS FC
0044-3869-2757
People really need to read the comments if they wanna know what happened. But for those who are still lost in the dark, read this to know what's going on.

http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/2t1r1w/its_time_for_me_to_share_my_side_of_the_alex/

I'll provide a cliff notes version but please read the whole thing in order to fully grasp the situation and see multiple sides of it.

Alex Strife is the lead Tournament Organizer for Apex and a huge figure head for the smash community, he has done a lot for smash and is generally well respected, especially in his position of running one of the biggest events for smash all year.

However, recently a lot of girls in the community have been coming out and sharing their stories on how Strife tries to sexually harass them, while they're under age.

Shortly after that, Chibo, head of Clash Tournaments also came out and told his experiences, as well as others, while working under Strife. He went into great detail on how Strife bullies and emotionally manipulate his friends and coworkers, even going as far as blackmailing them to try and get to do what he wants, as well as being an inadequate TO at the largest events or not giving his full effort, leaving people underneath him to do all the work for him, or even people who never TO before.

When all the girls started to come out, Chibo made his announcements as well, and in the face of all the deprecating talk about him, Alex stepped down as TO of Apex.

Apex dropped Chibo and CT however because he had unprofessionally released very private and personal information on an Apex Staff member, however the true motive for this drop is that it's Chibo's post that speaks not only bad of Strife, but perhaps as Apex as a whole. (not the other staff mind you, but the event itself) This incriminating post would defiantly make the event look worst in the public eye, so now they're doing damage control to try and repair the many image problems that aroused purely from the fact that they employed a man like Alex Strife, and gave him such an influential position, for as long as they did and not say anything of his actions behind the scenes.

That's all the facts, here's my PERSONAL take on the situation: Was Chibo unprofessional in his breach of privacy? Yes. But is it important that he did? ABSOLUTELY. It's a hideously ugly truth about the man behind Apex, but Chibo, and all those other brave souls did the right thing in warning everyone else and as a benefit they made Apex safer and enjoyable for many more people. Chibo knew he was probably going to be dropped after what he did, but he chose honesty and integrity over all the fame and money he would've gotten. And that has personally earned my eternal respect for him.

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
"Breach in confidentiality" does not mean an NDA from some company was broken. This has nothing to do with being "brave enough to strike back," this has everything to do with posting details that were private about Apex Series and their staff, and likely the private information regarding Crismas and her relationship with Alex Strife. It was unprofessional and completely unnecessary. The information about past event problems, stream issues, and callouts, those were all things that despite Alex being at the head, still leave people with a bad taste in their mouth for Apex. These are things that going in, you're expected to not talk about. Bad things happen in ANY event hosted by anyone, sometimes multiple parties are involved and they regret their decisions or choices. The undeniable fact is that Chibo EXPLICITLY and KNOWINGLY let out information that defaces the Apex series, which hasn't been Alex Strife's baby in years. A lot of what he said was personal agenda pushing, as much as I hate to admit since I know him personally. He's moving on, Apex is moving on, you all should be moving on along as well. Your heroes aren't always who you think they are.

TL;DR
"Thanks for ****-talking our original organizer, our stream partners, our staff, our event that dozens of people have worked hard on, here, please stream for us! Oh, leaking personal details about someone close to the event, too? Please, take MAIN STAGE stream as well!" is essentially what many of you are saying is how it should be handled by Apex staff. Which is absurd.
As much as I hate to agree with this...you have a point.

Ggjeed

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4940-5634-9439
"These are things that going in, you're expected to not talk about. Bad things happen in ANY event hosted by anyone, sometimes multiple parties are involved and they regret their decisions or choices.
That's BS in and of itself. From what I've read, it sounds like Alex Strife didn't regret his decisions as it was a repeat offense. (as far as the girls). As far as the CT streaming/advertisement/blackmail/whatever thing in the reddit post, that's a **** move through and through. These are things that NEED to be talked about so A) Douchebags learn to stop being douchebags and B) other people can learn from said douchebags to not START being douchebags.

Overall, I say to still support Apex as a huge smash tournament. It's a mess right now so things are happening that aren't great, but it's still about the smash. Support, get hype, play, enjoy, let's get this stuff in the past ASAP.

erasmorpheous

Smash Cadet
SMASH IS GETTING TOO BIG FOR OUR OWN GOOD WHAT IS HAPPENING.

I hope it is 100% not related to what Chibo spoke out on about Strife. I wish CT the best in the future. Heard they're co-streaming with TLOC for Aftershock in March! That's gonna be sick and it's going to have PM at a national! Finally! :)

Regardless of all the drama, I hope it doesn't affect seeing some top level smash at Apex. Despite these weird bumps in our road to being in the big leagues now, smash is gathering a huge following and has potential for an even bigger future.

edit: grammar stuff

Last edited:

Lewt

Smash Rookie
NNID
Lewt_Shogun
Can people just move on with their lifes and play the game? Yes, Alex Strife did terrible things and needs to be gone. And he's gone now.
As for streams... CT are not the only ones.
If youre not a PM player, theres no reason to be dehyped. Just calm down and enjoy the game, youre making waaaaay too much drama out of this lol

Bismo Funyuns

Smash Apprentice
This is a damn shame. However, I'm still looking forward to the tournament itself and I usually watch stuff from VGBootCamp anyway.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
"Breach in confidentiality" does not mean an NDA from some company was broken. This has nothing to do with being "brave enough to strike back," this has everything to do with posting details that were private about Apex Series and their staff, and likely the private information regarding Crismas and her relationship with Alex Strife. It was unprofessional and completely unnecessary. The information about past event problems, stream issues, and callouts, those were all things that despite Alex being at the head, still leave people with a bad taste in their mouth for Apex. These are things that going in, you're expected to not talk about. Bad things happen in ANY event hosted by anyone, sometimes multiple parties are involved and they regret their decisions or choices. The undeniable fact is that Chibo EXPLICITLY and KNOWINGLY let out information that defaces the Apex series, which hasn't been Alex Strife's baby in years. A lot of what he said was personal agenda pushing, as much as I hate to admit since I know him personally. He's moving on, Apex is moving on, you all should be moving on along as well. Your heroes aren't always who you think they are.

TL;DR
"Thanks for ****-talking our original organizer, our stream partners, our staff, our event that dozens of people have worked hard on, here, please stream for us! Oh, leaking personal details about someone close to the event, too? Please, take MAIN STAGE stream as well!" is essentially what many of you are saying is how it should be handled by Apex staff. Which is absurd.
If you want to argue that he defaced the Apex brand, then my only response is that its PR suicide to basically fire CT altogether for essentially esposing someone crooked and horrible to the franchise.

If you want to argue it was completely uncalled for, for Chibo to have revealed details of Cristmas's relationship, then I would agree--that's private and shouldn't have been aired publicly. But altogether axing CT, and in addition calling him basically a "danger" and "unreliable" is about as low as you can go when it comes to the vindictive retribution route.

Other courses of action would have been either other punative measures (a clean break with an explanation to Chibo privately), OR basically reemphasizing he would not be getting the main stream position or anything resembling that for his disregard of Cristmas's personal details. Hell, if the goal was to fire him, that could have been done without ALSO the personal cutting remarks the Apex company tweeted.

Ultimately, Chibo did Apex a favor by highlighting a corrupt individual in the Apex family, and Apex got mad about it. Chibo also stepped over hte line in an area, and Apex used it as a legitimate opening to take full retribution. That's my read anyhow, and I think it's messed up.

IronChar

Smash Journeyman
yikes....

whatever, like I said before, no PM? screw Apex there are other big tournaments that are open to games like PM and don't have silly drama like this

oh yeah! that's right if they can CT.... who is gonna service stream the torny then? who will post it on youtube?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think that because of this, that CLASH Tournaments should just leak all of the Apex information. If this is going to be the biggest Smash event of "all time", then let's dump out the biggest leak of all time.

Dissent

Bananaman Formerly Known As Sails
NNID
dotDissent
essentially esposing someone crooked and horrible to the franchise.
Except that several other people had already called him and only him out. Chibo several hours later decided to make his post and it didn't just call him out, it brought to light many things about Apex Series as a whole. Some of them were known to the public, but never really caught traction, but some of them were new. Chibo was trusted with being privy to staff knowledge and he violated that trust. If they kept him streaming, it would look bad to Apex Series partners and to anyone that takes in the entire timeline of events with an ounce of logic. It they remove him, it just looks bad to people who aren't reading between the lines. I'd advise to do the math, but Apex Series already did it for you.

Call it PR suicide all you want, but you too wouldn't want the person that just exposed all of your families dirty laundry to video tape your wedding.

The_Woebegone_Jackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Faver_Jo
3DS FC
4854-6514-7143
Its all a conspiracy I tell ya! GimR is still holding a grudge over Chibo wrecking him on D1's stream months back, its all part if his master plan to crush CT and steal their audience!

I'm not crazy, you'll see. You all will see...

Last edited:

Jellyfishn

Smash Journeyman
Apparently the Apex team didn't want the world to know how they treated the Japanese players and how they transported all the foreign players....

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Well, this sucks, but Chibo knew that he was risking losing streaming (he said so at the end of his reddit post), yet he still released all these details to remove someone whom had been bullying him, his close friends, and harassing girls in the scene.

The way I see it, Chibo made a pretty big financial sacrifice (he's gonna lose profits from this) to make the community a safer place. I'm still supporting him in the future: though the info reveals about Apex was unprofessional, what he did was pretty brave.

Last edited:

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
I dont know why Apex would get rid of CT. They did them a huge favour unless they all knew about Alex Strife.

Joshtrip1

J Dogg
NNID
danielsjw7
3DS FC
2466-4097-7365
In This Thread: People that aren't getting it. Read my above post if you are seriously unsatisfied with Apex's ruling here.
i don't think that's a good excuse for this. they got called out and are being cowards about it. Even if it was personal this has no place at any tournament. I get what you are saying but the ends justify the means. If you allow it to transpire under people's noses you to are responsible. If they can't accept that whether it makes them look bad or not. It's just the moral thing to do. From a business perspective this makes sense, but it's not good PR.

Last edited:
Top Bottom