• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chun-Li

Astraltar

Smash Apprentice
When I saw the reveal that Ryu from Street Fighter was coming into the Smash Bros. franchise, I just had one thought: "Why not Chun-Li?"

I know. Maybe we don't need another Street Fighter character in Smash Bros. But maybe we DO! If the Mario series has like, 8 people from it, the Street Fighter franchise which is almost as old, could reasonably fit one more. And when I open my mind to any and all possibilities, I realize Chun-Li could actually happen. First, off, she's a female. There aren't a whole lot of female characters in Smash. Second, it wouldn't be hard to make her moves as she's already a fighting game character. And simply put, I hate Street Fighter, but I love Chun-Li as a character design and if she were in the game, I would use her. I wouldn't just ignore her like I do Rob and Duck Hunt.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Being Third Party, and of a company that already has two characters (with many other hugely recognizable series), I cannot say I find it likely.

But sure, she is am extremely recognizable character.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Chun-Li would definitely be a good second choice for Street Fighter. But if Ryu comes back, it maybe difficult for her to be a playable character.

smash puffle

Smash Ace
So I've been seeing rumors/leaks that Chun-Li is going to be an assist trophy in Ultimate. Do you think this is true?

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
Simply put, just a perfect choice for Street Fighter AT. But I don't think any 3rd party franchise will get more than one character. If this unsaid rule is proven false then I'd still say it's a longshot considering Sakurai never wanted to include a character from another fighting game. But Street Fighter deserves the recognition since it spawned the genre and Ryu is widely recognizeable because of it. So SSB is simply paying tribute to its own genre by featuring Ryu. Chun-Li seems like excess.

Oddball

Smash Lord
After playing as Ryu in the last Smash, I'd actually love to see an entire Street Fighter game done in Smash style.

As for the topic, I don't see any problem having a second Street Fighter and Chun-li tops the list of viable candidates (although I would be upset with M. Bison or Guile either.)

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
I don’t see it happening but Chin Li would be sick to have in Smash. Easily my favorite SF character

Astraltar

Smash Apprentice
I'd be cool with her as an AT. Two people from Street Fighter is kind of pushing it now that Sakurai has said not to expect "too many new challengers" and there are so many more worthy people.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
I think she’d be cool as a DLC character. Popular, iconic, and an interesting move set. I’d totally be up for it

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
With Richter opening the gate for 2 characters from a third party serie, I'd really like to see Chun-Li appearing. Many people talk about Ken as an echo (and not without reasons) but Chun-Li does bear the "Iconic video game character" title very well, being the first female of the fighting games.

Iconic moves can be special moves, such as Kikoken, Spinning Bird Kick and Tenshokyaku as a recovery... And of course Hyakuretsukyaku as a strong multi-jab.
There's also iconic jumping attacks such as the HK (split kick) or the stomp.

Her moveset is not as obvious as Ryu was, though. Especially how do you implement charge moves?

My main fear is to see her as an assist trophy, although it's also a nice recognition of the character of course. There's also Ken as mentioned who could be an echo, as he was featured in SSB4 as a trophy and through Music.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I don't think Chun li moveset would be too hard to "implement" but she still would need to be balanced as a completely new character, which makes her as much work as everyone else in the end, unlike Ken.

Still, if Street fighter manages to get a second completely original character, yeah.. would be chun li or bust, Guile get outta of here, you would be a better AT with your 2 moves anyway :p. not seeing her chances being good though.

After playing as Ryu in the last Smash, I'd actually love to see an entire Street Fighter game done in Smash style.
Ive been hoping for a new Darkstalkers for a looooooooong time. but sadly don't see it coming soon, and i actually feel that kinda understand why Capcom isn't making it. Since it would need to compete with other aerial dash fighters, such as Guilty Gear, Dragon Ball Z fighters and capcom own Marvel vs capcom.
That being said, i secretly hope that the franchise gets repurposed and gets transformed into a plataformer fighter like smash, and end as capcom take on the sub genre.
Is true that it would need to compete with smash on the switch. but the competition would be EXTREMELY less tight on th eplaystation and other places :p

Arsh99

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Arsh99
Guile get outta of here, you would be a better AT with your 2 moves anyway :p.
You really called this omg.

Also, it'd be great to have the first female fighting video game character in Smash.

Top Bottom