• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chrom is broken.

GrizzleDrizz1ed

Smash Apprentice
If you’ve seen Zeros stream, you’ve seen it in action. His up B drags the opponent to their death with him, with them dying first every time. As long as you are equal or better stocks, you will virtually always win. Just get them off the edge and hit em with an up b.

The move brings you in so DI’ing doesn’t do anything for you. It a cheap move that’s easy to hit and has the same results as a Ganoncide. Hopefully it gets patched out before it dominates tournaments.

Awesomeperson159

Smash Apprentice
If you’ve seen Zeros stream, you’ve seen it in action. His up B drags the opponent to their death with him, with them dying first every time. As long as you are equal or better stocks, you will virtually always win. Just get them off the edge and hit em with an up b.

The move brings you in so DI’ing doesn’t do anything for you. It a cheap move that’s easy to hit and has the same results as a Ganoncide. Hopefully it gets patched out before it dominates tournaments.
Lots of Up-Bs do that, and Ganoncide is the same thing but horizontal. Suicide KO doesn't equal broken.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
It is very situational and Cloud's did the same thing back in SSB4.

A-money2121

Smash Journeyman
Ike's recovery did the same thing in Smash 4 (I'm sure it does in Ultimate as well). Additionally, Ike had - and still has - better recovery options compared to Chrom. Chom literally has NO horizontal recovery tools, other than air-dodging, I suppose. Throw him off the stage, and just laugh as he barley glazes the ledge....

Last edited:

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
I remember when people were calling him bottom tier lmao

Awesomeperson159

Smash Apprentice
I remember when people were calling him bottom tier lmao
It's the reverse of Little Mac in SSB4. There was a bunch of posts about how top-tier Mac was in SSB4 and now most people call him low-to-bottom tier.
Chrom was called bottom tier and now he's called top-tier.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
That's because unlike Little Mac, Chrom can actually move in the air (having high aerial movement speed) and use great disjointed aerials.
Little Mac doesn't have much options even when he's in the air on stage.

Senshu

Smash Cadet
What is everybody drinking here? Isn't Chrom having a really bad time because of his recovery? Who on earth is saying Chrom is top tier, what am I missing?

*OCTO*

Smash Rookie
NNID
OctopusCrime
3DS FC
3437-3048-3276
Chrom's recovery is only an issue if you get him off stage and unlike Little Mac who was only a threat while grounded, Chrom has a whole arsenal of disjointed aerials that come out quick and hit hard. He can easily defend himself in the air, approach from multiple directions and string together multiple high-damage follow ups.

Having a weak recovery is a small price to pay for having every advantage possible when not outside the confines of the stage.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Chrom's recovery is only an issue if you get him off stage and unlike Little Mac who was only a threat while grounded, Chrom has a whole arsenal of disjointed aerials that come out quick and hit hard. He can easily defend himself in the air, approach from multiple directions and string together multiple high-damage follow ups.

Having a weak recovery is a small price to pay for having every advantage possible when not outside the confines of the stage.
Basically Smash 4 Cloud without the limit bull****

shadowmm151

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I've been experimenting with most of the FE cast, and I have to say I think the best ones are Ike, Roy and Chrom. I think Marth and Lucina are probably about equally good, but they just feel weird to me in the new engine so I can't for sure say. Ike is a monster with how strong and amazing his aerials are. His normals are questionable...but dtilt is enough to get you back in the air where everything is all right again. He's strong with great range and disjoints. Roy's disjoints aren't as great, but his frame data is a bit better and he's crazy strong at rushdown. He's very oppressive and can kill early if you get the right sourspot combos into a good hilt attack.

Chrom though...he seems even more powerful than Roy. He can do the same rushdown shenanigans as Roy without worrying about the sourspots, but since his blade is even like Lucina's you can play him like Marth/Lucina and actually space if you want to. He's fast, strong, can be oppressive, and can space. Yes, his recovery is garbage...but it can kill you if you take it lightly and more importantly...that only matters if you get knocked off stage. It's pretty obvious his recovery was made bad to balance him.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

My god is patch culture annoying. "Adapt or die," don't whine. Calling for nerfs just unnecessarily hinders a character's potential.

Basically the folks calling for nerfs on the first week of the game's release just need to get good.

Arrei

Smash Lord
Ike's recovery did the same thing in Smash 4 (I'm sure it does in Ultimate as well). Additionally, Ike had - and still has - better recovery options compared to Chrom. Chom literally has NO horizontal recovery tools, other than air-dodging, I suppose. Throw him off the stage, and just laugh as he barley glazes the ledge....
Aethercide would formerly kill Ike first. (Climhazzard would too in most cases except vs fast fallers) The facts that ending a match with a suicide kill with Aether or Soaring Slash actually causes the death zoom-in, and that they actually gave back Aether's ability to spike during the entire descent suggests to me that this is a fully intended change.

Last edited:

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
My god is patch culture annoying. "Adapt or die," don't whine. Calling for nerfs just unnecessarily hinders a character's potential.

Basically the folks calling for nerfs on the first week of the game's release just need to get good.
And besides, if one doesn't want to deal with stock trades via Soaring Slash, projectiles and windboxes can be used for edgeguards to avoid risking a stock (though one does have to win in the neutral first before they can start doing that)

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Aethercide would formerly kill Ike first. (Climhazzard would too in most cases except vs fast fallers) The facts that ending a match with a suicide kill with Aether or Soaring Slash actually causes the death zoom-in, and that they actually gave back Aether's ability to spike during the entire descent suggests to me that this is a fully intended change.
Hmm, interesting. Do other inescapable suicide KOs like Flame Choke and Flying Slam (which literally drag the victim into the blast zone with the user) cause the death zoom, or is the death zoom for Aether and Soaring Slash simply a consequence of a sufficiently strong meteor smash to guarantee the victim will cross the bottom blast line while in hitstun?

Arrei

Smash Lord
Hmm, interesting. Do other inescapable suicide KOs like Flame Choke and Flying Slam (which literally drag the victim into the blast zone with the user) cause the death zoom, or is the death zoom for Aether and Soaring Slash simply a consequence of a sufficiently strong meteor smash to guarantee the victim will cross the bottom blast line while in hitstun?
Honestly, probably the latter, but if they saw that the move caused death lightning only to kill the user first, that would just be insulting to leave in, no?

BrynTheAngryGamer

Smash Rookie
because of chrom recovery can spike at a lvl 1 cpu and doesn't flinch when using it, I WANT CHROM REMOVED FROM THE GAME.....
im very close to breaking the controller because of chrom..... either remove or NERF THE CRAP OUT OF CHROM...…. fricken Chromhead.....

Top Bottom