• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Christianity Questions? Bring 'Em On!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeroKiks

Smash Rookie
Hi, I made this topic topic so that you, fellow smashers, can ask any questions regarding Christianity, Jesus, etc.

Others, feel free to answer these questions, because I have only been a Christian for like a year and a half, and I don't really know a ton. I just know that God is real, it's something just something I can't describe... but I can try to if anyone asks.

Now, I'm going to try to answer your questions the best that I can, but more often than not it will probably AT LEAST take a few days for me to get a GOOD response to your question. I am going to take every question seriously and I am going to ask a few different pastors and fellow church members and try to get you the best answer possible.

Please, please, let's keep this civil though... and remember that everyone is entitled to their opinion even though you may not agree with it.

Also note, that whatever your views are, even if they are completely different than mine, I respect them, and respect you as a person.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
There's already a religion pool room thread, but here goes anyway:

Why does god hate amputees?

Explanation: Christians believe that you can pray and that god will answer your prayers. Cancer patients pray constantly and sometimes wind up mysteriously recovering from their condition. This is then attributed to god answering the prayers of the cancer patient.

But nobody who has ever lost a limb has ever had it given back by god. Lots of people lose limbs in accidents not of their fault, and they pray to god to make them better. Why has god never once answered their prayers? Why does god hate amputees?

NeroKiks

Smash Rookie
I can't answer that one personally, I don't know how to exactly, but let me talk to some people tomorrow and I will get back to you, I promise.

NeroKiks

Smash Rookie
Also, the more questions the better! So ask anything!

With tomorrow being Sunday and all, I can try to get as many questions answered as possible.

Ornj

Smash Journeyman
There's already a religion pool room thread, but here goes anyway:

Why does god hate amputees?

Explanation: Christians believe that you can pray and that god will answer your prayers. Cancer patients pray constantly and sometimes wind up mysteriously recovering from their condition. This is then attributed to god answering the prayers of the cancer patient.

But nobody who has ever lost a limb has ever had it given back by god. Lots of people lose limbs in accidents not of their fault, and they pray to god to make them better. Why has god never once answered their prayers? Why does god hate amputees?

lol wow, thats kind of a funny question

okay so lemme try to answer this

This has no proof so plz keep the flame down, but what i think is that God trys to work within physical limits to make it seem less sureal.

if God went around spawning arms as you say, every1 would know for a fact that God is out there, which diminishes free will since every1 would convert

NeroKiks

Smash Rookie
Wow, yea, that totally makes sense. I'm still gunna ask some pastors and the like and see what they say... and I'll also tell them what you said and see what they've gotta say about that.

Gamer4Fire

PyroGamer
BRoomer
Are you a young Earth Christian? If so, how do you reconcile the current state of the universe with the young Earth model? I will explain more thoroughly if you are.

NeroKiks

Smash Rookie
here is one response i got from someone that is a young lady after God's own heart:

---

if the person without the limb has true faith and they lost a limb they can pray to God and he can help by possibly making the missing limb useful if that makes sense.

God never does anything for a negative effect

everything he does is suppose to bring something better than what you had before

---

Again though, I'm still going to ask some pastors, etc.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Hell. Sin committers are sent to Hell to spend an eternity in flames. Eternity. Incase you didn't know, is forever. An infinite amount of torture for a finite amount of sins and crimes. Seems very unjust IMO. Also regarding Hell, why should a well mannered person who is unaware of Christ and/or a follower of another religion have to suffer the same fate as a mass murderer or child molester?

Gamer4Fire

PyroGamer
BRoomer
here is one response i got from someone that is a young lady after God's own heart:

---

if the person without the limb has true faith and they lost a limb they can pray to God and he can help by possibly making the missing limb useful if that makes sense.

God never does anything for a negative effect

everything he does is suppose to bring something better than what you had before

---

Again though, I'm still going to ask some pastors, etc.
Then why did God kill all the children during the flood of Noah? What did they do to deserve death?

NeroKiks

Smash Rookie
Both totally awesome questions, I'm going to have to get back to you tomorrow though, for sure... because these are waaaay over my head.

And please, no offense at all, but please watch the sarcasm janitor (that 'In case you didn't know' line was a little uncalled for)

=)

NeroKiks

Smash Rookie
K guys, I'm gunna call it a night and go to sleep. Please keep posting questions though, as many as you guys have, I'm going to check this page in the morning and take all the questions to church and stuff and see what I can get for you guys.

You all are awesome for participating in this question thing. Thanks guys.

DeadtoSin

Smash Apprentice
Hell. Sin committers are sent to Hell to spend an eternity in flames. Eternity. Incase you didn't know, is forever. An infinite amount of torture for a finite amount of sins and crimes. Seems very unjust IMO. Also regarding Hell, why should a well mannered person who is unaware of Christ and/or a follower of another religion have to suffer the same fate as a mass murderer or child molester?
Alrighty, I think I can possibly handle this one. You are looking at hell from the wrong perspective. Hell is not a place of punishment for those who do wrong, it is a place that people who have rejected God go. Finite is kind of taking this in a weird direction. We could even commit one sin and go to hell. I know that might seem more unjust in your eyes, but I don't see it that way. We could commit one sin or a million sins, in God's eyes its the same thing in the end. The beauty is, no matter how many sins we do commit Christ is there to reconcile us to God. So God isn't this cackling dude sitting up on a marble throne throwing people into Hell, he makes every attempt other than doing a bunch of fancy miracles. I do not pretend to know God's reasons, but I would speculate that God does not do this because there would be no reason to not believe in God. God gives us the choice to sin, he did not create us this way. He gives us the choice to believe in Christ, and I believe that he loves us so much that he is willing to let us reject him rather than force or overtly coerce you into doing so.

Regarding your last question, I'd refer to these two verses.

But if from there you seek the LORD your God, you will find him if you look for him with all your heart and with all your soul. - Deuteronomy 4:29

Seek the LORD while he may be found;
call on him while he is near.

Let the wicked forsake his way
and the evil man his thoughts.
Let him turn to the LORD, and he will have mercy on him,
and to our God, for he will freely pardon.
- Isaiah 55:6-7

I believe that if there is a person that really seeks God and tries to understand God's truth, that in their lifetime that God will reveal his truth to them. Islamic people for example are very sensitive to dreams and angels. I do not think that it is farfetched to believe that God might reveal himself in this way. That is of course, based on the presupposition that God exists.

Matt

Banned via Administration
I would like to know why we developed language. It makes no sense from an evolutionary standpoint. For what reasons did humans develop a complex phonological system for communication? It certainly isn't for survival. Other animals are doing fine with grunts and shiny red asses. Did God give us language so that we could conceptualize him? I think that's it. I think God was sick and tired of no one recognizing his handiwork, so one day he said "POOF LANGUAGE!" and then people started to spread the word of God. But some people got it confused and started worshiping false Gods, and God said "WELL DARN I GUESS I'LL LEAVE THEM TO DECIDE." God really needs to lay off the caps. Seriously, God. Calm down.

But wait, why does the bible say "how shall they believe in him whom they have not heard?" (Roman 10:14)? Is the Bible suggesting that we can only conceptualize God if someone tells us about him first? No way, that's crazy talk! And Hebrew 6:6 just really throws me off: "he that cometh to God, must believe that he is." So if I have my doubts of His existence--y'know, the very doubts that he allowed me to have when he granted me free choice--then he won't consider me?? And if I carry those doubts to my grave, I go to hell along with billions of others who had it all wrong?

Also, he tells us in Exodus 33:20-23 that "there shall no man see me, and live... but thou shalt see my back parts." Haha, but God no one wants to see your butt. Silly, God. =D

Christianity sure is confusing!

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
A. Stop double posting or I will ban you.
B. This will end VERY badly.
C. If you have only been a Christian for a year, you really have no right posting a topic like this. Many people who have been Christians their whole lives can't answer questions that will be asked here. But, have fun.

Two part question: This is the question that shattered the Mormon topic, but: what is color was Jesus? Your answer to this will make or break your credibility to me.

Also, with Christianity being so fragmented, which JUST hurts the beliefs more than anything, which church is true, and I want biblical support here.

DeadtoSin

Smash Apprentice
Jesus was the same color as the Israelites and most of the middle east. He was not black, he was not white, etc. This is a pretty easy question I guess.

You know, the Bible talks about this. Paul foresaw it being a major problem in the church at the time, and in the future.

1And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ.

2I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able.

3For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?

4For while one saith, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are ye not carnal?

5Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man?

6I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase.

7So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase.

8Now he that planteth and he that watereth are one: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour.

9For we are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, ye are God's building.

10According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon.

11For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
- 1 Corinthians 3:1-11

The Church in my eyes is not split. A church (a building where people meet) might be part of a denomination, and they may be split. The Church is a group of believers in Jesus Christ. If you satisfy that requirement, then your church is true. You have to believe that Christ died for our sins, that he was sinless man and God. You cannot believe any other writings after Revelation, since it was made very clear that you are not to add to it.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
How do you account for other religions?

Ornj

Smash Journeyman
C. If you have only been a Christian for a year, you really have no right posting a topic like this. Many people who have been Christians their whole lives can't answer questions that will be asked here. But, have fun.

Two part question: This is the question that shattered the Mormon topic, but: what is color was Jesus? Your answer to this will make or break your credibility to me.

Also, with Christianity being so fragmented, which JUST hurts the beliefs more than anything, which church is true, and I want biblical support here.

okay, on what color jesus was. He was born in Jerusalem, from an israeli family, meening he was probably middle eastern looking

and what do you mean with your second question? like which denomination is correct?

Cubemario

Smash Journeyman

The above is very true. If you aren't very confident and don't know alot and are answering questions anyway, you don't really have any credibility. Don't take that as an insult, the bible tells us that when we are teachers we are judged differently then many other people. Which is why the bible says that many of us should not become teachers.

I could answer a lot of the questions very well that have already been asked, but I don't see the point unless someone actually genuinely cares and isn't asking said question to start an argument.

Gamer4Fire

PyroGamer
BRoomer
The Church in my eyes is not split. A church (a building where people meet) might be part of a denomination, and they may be split. The Church is a group of believers in Jesus Christ. If you satisfy that requirement, then your church is true. You have to believe that Christ died for our sins, that he was sinless man and God. You cannot believe any other writings after Revelation, since it was made very clear that you are not to add to it.
So all those protestants killing all those catholics are all true christians murdering each other in the name of christ. Why would god let his sheep murder each other?

-Risky-

Smash Apprentice
Just wondering, do you actually believe in the Adam and Eve, Noah's Ark, pillar of salt stories? Or do you just treat them as fables with a Christian undertone and moral?

NeroKiks

Smash Rookie
Ok, I'm printing this now, sorry for the double posting, I haven't read the Rules and stuff for awhile, I'll brush up on them later today. Sorry about that.

Also, as a believer in Christ I have very much a reason to defend my God no matter how long I've been a Christian. Also, guys, I'm also not really planning on answering these myself, no offense, but I did say that I'm going to take the questions to spiritual leaders and get what they have to say on them. I am not teaching as much as I am relaying a teaching to you guys. I am confident in the people that I am going to talk to and I am going to check it with multiple pastors, etc.

Oh, and to Gamer4Fire, I totally didn't see your post. I'm sorry I don't even know what that is, I just know that I have a personal relationship with Jesus. I'm not really religous, so I don't really know the deep talk stuff, I just kind of trust God and love Him.

And to Risky, I personally believe them as actual events, and I know that is going to be an unpopular opinion. The thing is though, ever since I have accepted Christ I have felt this overwhelming feeling of SOMETHING and I believe that that something is God, I'm positive it is.

And as to this: I could answer a lot of the questions very well that have already been asked, but I don't see the point unless someone actually genuinely cares and isn't asking said question to start an argument.

Yea, I've kind of noticed that too.

But yea, I'm going to take these questions to some pastors and stuff and they are more than likely going to need, at the very least, a few days to get a good biblical answer, so I will post the responses here as I get them!

Also thank you guys for keeping this a civil as possible, I appriciate it!

Pit 42

Smash Lord
Just a quick question, I'm lazy and didn't read all the questions, so this might've been answered already but...

Jesus said that the only way to go to heaven was through him. Is this really true? If there is a man of another religion, for example, Gandhi, who lived their life giving to another and promoting peace, don't they deserve to go to heaven, too?

-Risky-

Smash Apprentice
hmmmm, okay, I know science can't disprove Christianity, but it very much can disprove the Adam and Eve story and other such ones, I'm sorry but they are simply impossible

antimatter

Smash Lord
impossible from science's standpoint, maybe. but He is God. God is omnipotent.
here's the problem i see with all these debates.. no side can disprove the other. no faith can prove itself to atheists until they die, and atheists cant disprove faith until the faithful die. no matter what one side shows, the other side can say otherwise.

Igneous42

Smash Ace

Jesus was Jewish.....

Which Church is true? The main message behind the Bible and the religion is grace, your not going to go to hell for being a Muslim, Catholic or whatever faction you consider yourself. God is an all knowing God so he knows people's hearts.

Gamer4Fire

PyroGamer
BRoomer
I have a couple more, if you want.

How do you reconcile the historical inaccuracies of the bible?

For example in Ezekiel 26 God specifically says that Tyre will be destroyed and will never again be inhabited, but it still exists to this day. Then in Ezekiel 29 God says that Egypt will be destroyed and plundered and will remain a wasteland for forty years. This never happened.

Why is Lot considered a righteous man? In 2 Peter 2:6-9 he is referred to as righteous. Yet when the mob came to his door, he tried to ransom his two virgin daughters to be gang *****. How is this righteous?

ETA: A young Earth Christian is someone who believes the Earth to be 6000 - 8000 years old.

-Risky-

Smash Apprentice
here's the problem i see with all these debates.. no side can disprove the other. no faith can prove itself to atheists until they die, and atheists cant disprove faith until the faithful die. no matter what one side shows, the other side can say otherwise.
This is true. However, have you heard of the Flying Spaghetti Monster? Defying anyone to be capable of disproving Christianity is not justification enough to warrant belief in a completely unproven, unsupported, arbitrarily conceived and designed faith.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof - offer some

Gamer4Fire

PyroGamer
BRoomer
That isn't the point of this topic. This topic is specifically to address issues with the bible, christianity and jesus, not to (dis)prove faith.

m0dredus

Hail Hydra
K, awesome, I'm constantly coming up with new questions about christianity. So heres a couple questions:

1. Why do we celebrate christmas on the 25th of december, when Jesus was born in March?

2. What does it matter if Jesus was married or not? I always wondered this. The only reason I can see, is because it would ruin his "Image". Which, IMO, shouldn't matter, yet the church seems to have a problem with it.

3. Why is Mary Magdalen always referred to as a prostitute, while it was never written into the bible that she was?

Thanks in advance for the answers. I'll post more when I come up with them.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Why did everyone ignore my question :(

I feel insecure now

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Jesus was Jewish.....

Which Church is true? The main message behind the Bible and the religion is grace, your not going to go to hell for being a Muslim, Catholic or whatever faction you consider yourself. God is an all knowing God so he knows people's hearts.
Jewish is not a race, it's a religion. Hebrew is the race. There are white, black, hispanic, etc Jewish people. I want to know if Jesus was white or black according to your teachings, because leaving in Israel, look at most Israelis, they were not white at all, but quite dark.

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
If two gay people lived on an island with no knoledge of christianity, sin or god would they end up going to hell despite the fact that no-one told them they were "sinning" (and i put that in inverted commas for a reason)

Cubemario

Smash Journeyman
If two gay people lived on an island with no knoledge of christianity, sin or god would they end up going to hell despite the fact that no-one told them they were "sinning" (and i put that in inverted commas for a reason)
Now here is a good genuine question.

The people who existed before the flood were judged according to their hearts (in other words, conscience). The law was not established back then, and it wouldn't be established for quite some time until the time of moses. So in such cases as these, when people do not have knowledge of god or christianity, they will be judged the way the people before the flood were. I cannot say if those two people would go to hell or not, I am not the judge, and it would ultimately be God's decision, and it would be a just one.

Though such a case happening these days is highly unlikely.

"Just a quick question, I'm lazy and didn't read all the questions, so this might've been answered already but...

"Jesus said that the only way to go to heaven was through him. Is this really true? If there is a man of another religion, for example, Gandhi, who lived their life giving to another and promoting peace, don't they deserve to go to heaven, too?"

Well if it wasn't true, jesus would be a liar wouldn't he, then the gospel would be a lie too, then you can't really take anything he says for being true, can you? If you can't do that, then the bible itself is a sham, there is no god, and life would be quite horrible and pointless.

The whole bible makes it pretty clear that Jesus is the way the truth and the life.

As for lot, the verses you talked about also say he was vexed, go read those verses you referenced again and look up what vexed means. You should find your answer there.

As for the thing about egypt I was looking into that, and I found this on the internet. Seems to explain it pretty well.

http://radaractive.blogspot.com/2006/12/ezekiel-29-bible-prophecy.html

As for the thing about tyre..

http://www.apologeticspress.org/articles/254
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyre_(Lebanon)

I really appreciate you asking these questions though, I have not really got real deep into the prophetic books, and i'm glad that I did.

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
Now here is a good genuine question.

The people who existed before the flood were judged according to their hearts (in other words, conscience). The law was not established back then, and it wouldn't be established for quite some time until the time of moses. So in such cases as these, when people do not have knowledge of god or christianity, they will be judged the way the people before the flood were. I cannot say if those two people would go to hell or not, I am not the judge, and it would ultimately be God's decision, and it would be a just one.

Though such a case happening these days is highly unlikely.
Of course that is if you believe that you could get 2 of each animal in the world on a boat without eating each other, or that such a huge volume of water could be summoned despite all evidence to the contrary.

But they haven't done anything wrong, they haven't killed anyone, they can't steal from anyone and they've essentially lived this basic life without any trappings of modern morals or situations. Yet you cannot say whether they would be ****ed or not, thats just messed up.

Cubemario

Smash Journeyman
No, of course I can't. It isn't messed up either. I don't know what was in their hearts. I can't be the judge. I'm sorry, but you can't really give a straight answer to such a question.

Ornj

Smash Journeyman

i dont care what any1 says, no1 is born gay. present society and ppl trun them gay

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
i dont care what any1 says, no1 is born gay. present society and ppl trun them gay
So, when did you decide to be straight? I personally never made a conscious decision of it, but I was simply never attracted to men. To claim that all gay people chose to have that hardship put on them, shows you know nothing.

mario-man

Smash Lord
Wow!! "christianity" has truly become a religion, and it's screwed with people's heads. Maybe it is unintentional, but man, wow, it's amazing!! I hate religion. "God" is not some person up there who is judgemental and just waiting for you to "sin". He is all about love, and nothing else. In fact, he IS love.

I used to be one of the most hardcore christians out there, but he has really shown me and my family how religion has corrupted it. It's just supposed to be a relationship with "god" and nothing else.

Ok, this is a VERY touchy thing that I'm about to say, but "god" has told it to me recently, and I think it needs to get out somehow. The "church's" definition of sin is all wrong. definition being this: something that a person does that is directly against god's will and/or character. Actual definition requires a brief explanation first. Assuming that you accept that god made everything, he made humans a certain way, and the way he made everything to interact with each other is set in place and cannot change, unless I guess at some point he decided to change it, which I doubt, but it's still possible. "sin" is something that "god" tells you not to do because it will hurt you or someone else in one form or another. Ex. sex before marriage is very well known to cause STD's(aka physical harm) and other big problems like pregnancies before the they are prepared to handle it (aka mental/emotional harm) which could lead to abortions (aka physical/mental/emotional/etc... harm for the baby)

Another common example is drinking. I personally have no problem with people drinking. It's just that when it begins to take you over, it can lead to all kinds of problems. "God" said not to be DRUNK on anything, basically because you lose control of your own thinking. He said not to do it BECAUSE it leads to problems (due to the way things interact with each other) The reason why maybe you shouldn't drink at all is too not risk becoming drunk, but really, that's your decision, just be careful with it leading to problems, like financial issues, saying things you wouldn't normally say etc...

These are just a few examples of what God is showing me recently. Just thought I'd share that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom