• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chorus Kids for Smash Bros. DLC! ~ Lend your Song of Support in the Smash Bros. Fighter Ballot! ~

Golden Sun

Smash Ace
NNID
YOURMOMHASA@NNID
3DS FC
1693-3754-9548
If we get Chorus Kids come in as DLC, I'd expect him to only be Wii U exclusive, compared to how many data Wii U and 3DS have.

I also expect exclusive DLC for the game, even though it sounds horrible, like for example:

X DLC for 3ds
Y DLC for Wii U

But I think we're only going to get 4 dlc characters for the whole smash game.
I just don't think the 3DS or Wii U can hold that much data, like the DLC character names, the animation poses, etc, the Wii U already has a bunch of stuff on it, even though the Wii U can hold a lot more, I don't think it can hold that much.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
If we get Chorus Kids come in as DLC, I'd expect him to only be Wii U exclusive, compared to how many data Wii U and 3DS have.

I also expect exclusive DLC for the game, even though it sounds horrible, like for example:

X DLC for 3ds
Y DLC for Wii U

But I think we're only going to get 4 dlc characters for the whole smash game.
I just don't think the 3DS or Wii U can hold that much data, like the DLC character names, the animation poses, etc, the Wii U already has a bunch of stuff on it, even though the Wii U can hold a lot more, I don't think it can hold that much.
1) Sakurai has been hard since the start about keeping the exact same roster. That's why we don't have Icies.
2) The problem with the 3DS or Wii U is not "data" on disc/on system. It was always a matter of processing power for the 3DS to be handling various functions. If a character would work on WiiU but not 3DS, they don't happen. We have that as a precedent.

Golden Sun

Smash Ace
NNID
YOURMOMHASA@NNID
3DS FC
1693-3754-9548
1) Sakurai has been hard since the start about keeping the exact same roster. That's why we don't have Icies.
2) The problem with the 3DS or Wii U is not "data" on disc/on system. It was always a matter of processing power for the 3DS to be handling various functions. If a character would work on WiiU but not 3DS, they don't happen. We have that as a precedent.
I thought Sakurai didn't add the IC because how hard it was going to be, and it would take around twice as the work of one character.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
I thought Sakurai didn't add the IC because how hard it was going to be, and it would take around twice as the work of one character.
Ice Climbers were fully functioning on the WiiU. They were not able to be jerry-rigged into being "dumbed down" like the RosaLuma AI or the processing for Olimar's Pikmin and thus were unable to be in the 3DS version. To keep true to having the rosters equal, he cut them.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Though personally I'd wish that he'd add them as Wii U and NEW 3DS characters, that way they're still technically on both systems through loophole magic.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Though personally I'd wish that he'd add them as Wii U and NEW 3DS characters, that way they're still technically on both systems through loophole magic.
I wish the 3ds version didn't exist period.

Golden Sun

Smash Ace
NNID
YOURMOMHASA@NNID
3DS FC
1693-3754-9548
I wish the 3ds version didn't exist period.
Oh, sorry we cant help it, affording that expensive Wii U, and more people got the 3DS which adds up more sales, without the 3DS, there would be ALOT of less sales and Sakurai will get hate for only releasing one version for a game console that's expensive.

Themagnificentmoldy

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, considering the fact that Ice Climbers were so close to completion, we can safely assume that Chorus Kids were as close to being in the game as they were, seeing as they both have actual data in the game mentioning them. With this info we can also consider the fact that the chorus kids were very likely three separate AI, which scares me because if that was the case, I don't think DLC would be viable due to the 3DS' limitations. Of course there could be DLC for the new 3DS only, but I honestly think that would be a pretty bad move by Nintendo, because it would totally disregard people who plan to own only the regular 3DS, especially since it's so late in the handheld's life cycle.

I also wonder if the Wii U has any remaining data from them or even more characters we might have missed out on....

Jigglystep

Smash Ace
NNID
Davichii
3DS FC
2165-5996-6936
Honestly, considering the fact that Ice Climbers were so close to completion, we can safely assume that Chorus Kids were as close to being in the game as they were, seeing as they both have actual data in the game mentioning them. With this info we can also consider the fact that the chorus kids were very likely three separate AI, which scares me because if that was the case, I don't think DLC would be viable due to the 3DS' limitations. Of course there could be DLC for the new 3DS only, but I honestly think that would be a pretty bad move by Nintendo, because it would totally disregard people who plan to own only the regular 3DS, especially since it's so late in the handheld's life cycle.
Didn't Sakurai mention that the Ice Climbers were actually fully implemented in the Wii U version and cut solely to keep the rosters consistent? If Chorus Kids faced the same fate because of the 3DS version.. I don't even know. I'd be more angry than upset. I really hope this wasn't the case so DLC remains up in the air. Logically, I don't even think New 3DS exclusive DLC would be possible since you'd need to be able to cross-platform the Chorus Kids against a regular 3DS user.

Themagnificentmoldy

Smash Apprentice
Didn't Sakurai mention that the Ice Climbers were actually fully implemented in the Wii U version and cut solely to keep the rosters consistent? If Chorus Kids faced the same fate because of the 3DS version.. I don't even know. I'd be more angry than upset. I really hope this wasn't the case so DLC remains up in the air. Logically, I don't even think New 3DS exclusive DLC would be possible since you'd need to be able to cross-platform the Chorus Kids against a regular 3DS user.
Yeah that's the other problem. I really wouldn't want Nintendo to pull a, "You can't connect with this user because they have a different version" or something like that because that's out of the question. We can still hope they have a chance though.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Doubt it would make much of a difference. The Kids could just be redesigned as a single AI like Rosaluma or Duck Hunt, since they don't have any prior representation as separate AI, which is probably what caught out the Icies.

Now possibly they were slated to be a tripartite AI, and when it was discovered that the Icies wouldn't work on the 3DS version, they didn't have enough time to start development on the Kids from the ground up. Presuming that's the case and further DLC is revealed, I think they'd be high priority to be fixed and released.

Jigglystep

Smash Ace
NNID
Davichii
3DS FC
2165-5996-6936
So if this Rayman stuff is real.....
Chorus kids dlc please?
Welp, there's some fairly convincing video footage now.

There's no way they're not implementing more characters considering there's a DLC shop in the video leak.

The deduction?

Chorus Kids confirmed.

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
Now the question is, if/when the Chorus Kids become DLC, would you want it to be leaked early, or would you want to wait for Sakurai to formally reveal them?

I mean, we may not have a choice given we had the 3DS leak and this one, but I'm just wondering.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Welp, there's some fairly convincing video footage now.

There's no way they're not implementing more characters considering there's a DLC shop in the video leak.

The deduction?

Chorus Kids confirmed.
considering there's a DLC shop in the video leak
Oh god.

OH GOD.

That icon makes me more excited than the entire prospect of a brand new character.

The hype is real.

Last edited:

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision
Oh god.

OH GOD.

That icon makes me more excited than the entire prospect of a brand new character.

The hype is real.
Same here. I don't give a hoot about Ubisoft's shoe-in character (not a fan of Rayman), but the DLC-shop might be the best news for Smash4's future. : D

Think about all the possible DLC characters, stages, songs, skins/alts, maybe even new modes! (a proper adventure mode!)

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
you know its great to see that they considered a character from one of nintendos underdog franchises like rhythm paradise perhaps they consider more in the future

Jigglystep

Smash Ace
NNID
Davichii
3DS FC
2165-5996-6936
If Rhythm Heaven 3DS gets a localized announcement, my hopes for the Kids will definitely be rekindled to some extent. I'll still be hyped for the game regardless!

Aside from that, there's always the possibility of the clarification on more DLC characters.. I really want to know what's going on inside Sakurai's head as far as that goes.

Themagnificentmoldy

Smash Apprentice
If Rhythm Heaven 3DS gets a localized announcement, my hopes for the Kids will definitely be rekindled to some extent. I'll still be hyped for the game regardless!

Aside from that, there's always the possibility of the clarification on more DLC characters.. I really want to know what's going on inside Sakurai's head as far as that goes.
Agreed. I really think Nintendo would be missing out on a lot of profit if the idea for Smash character DLC was nixed. I'd AT LEAST like DLC for old characters but considering Chorus Kids are very likely sitting on Sakurai's computer and are partially done considering all the info we've gotten over the past year, I don't see their inclusion as an impossibility.

Jigglystep

Smash Ace
NNID
Davichii
3DS FC
2165-5996-6936
Make sure to include a convincing brief paragraph as well!

Here's mine, to help you brainstorm:

The Chorus Kids, a trio of cute bow-tie wearing creatures, would be the perfect representative of the musical Rhythm Heaven series, being arguably the most iconic characters of the series. Gameplay-wise, the three would offer a unique rhythm based moveset that relies on keeping the beat to successfully dish out combos in a similar fashion to the button timing of Marth's Dancing Blade. The Kids would utilize various objects from the plentiful wacky Rhythm Heaven minigames in their attacks. This adorable and unique trio character would definitely be a first for the Smash Bros. series!
I can't express my extreme excitement right now. After the trailer of my old main Lucas returning, the character ballot was too much to handle.. The Chorus Kids may ACTUALLY be happening and I'm overjoyed, especially considering that their development may have already been started prior to being cut.

Let's make it happen guys!

chronomantic

Smash Ace
So I've come out of my dormant state to wholeheartedly support the inclusion of the Kids, obviously! I can't believe Sakurai is actually taking votes to consider including a character at this stage LOL I love it though this should be interesting.

Cloudy

Smash Apprentice
AAAAND WE ARE BACK!
I'm so excited, I already voted. I really hope a character from Rhythm Heaven can make it!

I voted for Marshal though, since the Chorus Kids may be too much for the 3DS.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Are any of you guys even Rhythm Heaven fans? Or were you influenced by the Gematsu leak?

Because both Marshal and Chorus Kids lose out in iconicness to Karate Joe, which anyone in the Rhythm Heaven fandom would know.

Themagnificentmoldy

Smash Apprentice
Are any of you guys even Rhythm Heaven fans? Or were you influenced by the Gematsu leak?

Because both Marshal and Chorus Kids lose out in iconicness to Karate Joe, which anyone in the Rhythm Heaven fandom would know.
Yeah I've loved rhythm heaven since like 6th grade, and frankly would be happy to see any rhythm heaven character, but I feel like the chorus kids are as much of an icon as marshal is seeing as they're basically the mascots of the ds game, and have appeared in game and wario. I also feel like they'd be far more interesting considering they're actually three characters.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Yeah I've loved rhythm heaven since like 6th grade, and frankly would be happy to see any rhythm heaven character, but I feel like the chorus kids are as much of an icon as marshal is seeing as they're basically the mascots of the ds game, and have appeared in game and wario. I also feel like they'd be far more interesting considering they're actually three characters.
Yeah just the DS game, not the entire series.

Jigglystep

Smash Ace
NNID
Davichii
3DS FC
2165-5996-6936
Well, uh, yeah. I honestly think it takes a true Rhythm Heaven fan to heavily support the concept behind a character from the series. I've seen a lot of non-RH fans argue that the characters are bland looking with no moveset potential. "All they do in the game is sing," "All he does is punch things" etc.
While Karate Joe is indeed quite iconic, the Chorus Kids are right up there with him. They've been featured in various official Rhythm Heaven media, plenty of Glee Club parodies have been spawned, and the developers even acknowledged them in Game and Wario.

The main thing setting them apart as the representative for Rhythm Heaven in Smash, in my opinion, is the ability to portray the series well. Visually, the Chorus Kids are a great neutral looking character that wouldn't look out of place pulling out any of the random objects from the series for their moveset. Perhaps it's just me, but I can't see the tough looking Karate Joe pulling out a badminton racket or a tambourine. Of course, he wouldn't have to utilize objects from the minigames, but would it really represent the series well if his rhythm-based moveset was entirely based around punches and kicks?

Aside from that, the Chorus Kids have the whole trio thing going for them which would allow for some creative ways to implement rhythm-based attacks and base certain moves on the trio/group minigames throughout the series such as Clappy Trio and Tap Troupe.

TLDR; I think the Rhythm Heaven rep needs to portray the series more than it needs to be iconic, and the Chorus Kids arguably do it better due to their character design and trio aspect while still being fairly iconic.

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
I agree with @ Jigglystep Jigglystep here. Maybe I'm a bit oblivious, but I never noticed that Karate Joe was (suposedly?) more iconic than the Chorus Kids. Even if that's the case, I personally think that Karate Joe just doesn't represent, I suppose, the spirit of Rhythm Heaven, while there seems to me something- rather, everything, really- about the Chorus Kids that really gives off a Rhythm Heaven vibe.

And I have to be honest. In the context of a Rhythm Heaven character, a trio of fighters pulling out stuff from other RH minigames, maybe singing some ridiculous tunes, just feel like they'd be so much more fun (and fitting) to play as than a guy who kicks and punches; I would say the latter is a fighter archetype that just wouldn't represent a rhythm-based game series that well.

And frankly, I personally like the Chorus Kids a lot more than Karate Joe.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Pre-Gematsu the chorus kids were not even mentioned once. It was mostly just Karate Joe, Marshal, Rhythm Girl, and the Wrestler. Karate Joe was arguably the most popular if you didn't include all the people who wanted the wrestler just because of the Meme.

Top Bottom