• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Choosing a main

ensane

Smash Apprentice
Lately, I've been told to focus on 1 or 2 characters since I kind of suck. The problem is that I love playing as so many characters that I can't decide. I already use pikachu the best atm, but it isn't even by a large margin. If anyone has any suggestions on how to chose, would you let me know? Also, please don't turn this into some kind of "come to our camp" thread XD.

Riot

Smash Rookie
If you cant chose just try to think of how you play, defensive, offensive, tactical (setting up traps) etc.......

try to think of what character is most like your playing style ask someone how that character plays before you choose just to make sure you can use it to your style and just master him/she/it. Just because your best with one character doesnt mean that you wont do better with another character.

(Oh and when choosing just ignore tiers)

Joaco

Triforce of Wisdom
NNID
JoacoRyu8
What do you want your main to have?
What do you want not to have?
When you're playing, do you enjoy playing with that character?

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
I don't really view "choosing a main" as picking out specific qualities you want your main to have, or what tier-rank you want your main to have, or anything even dealing with technical aspects. Really your main should basically come to you. You want to find a character you enjoy playing, who's moveset you like, which has the best learning-curve dependent on you, yourself. You can have someone choose a main for you, but that won't do you any good if you don't actually like that character. I found my main simply by picking my favorite videogame character, and turns out I liked him, so I stuck with it.

Just experiment with a bunch of different characters, and find the one you have the most fun with, and work from there. You don't have to restrict it to 1 or 2 by the way, I know people who have like 10 secondaries, it's ridiculous.

ensane

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, as I said, the problem comes from the fact that I actually enjoy so many characters, not that I can't find what to enjoy. I've been told that not focusing makes you worse, though, are you saying that's not true, Gatlin?

Abel1994

Smash Lord
Lol I had the same problem and used like half the charectors.
Then I mained link because he was my favorite all time nintendo char >.>
My friend then told me to play a charector that I like the play style and just not the game :p

Main Pit and second Toon link now :D

Phoxhound

Smash Cadet
Baltimore, MD (in a worm hole during summers)
3DS FC
2707-1679-3227
if you're having a hard time figuring out what your own playstyle is, try picking a character at random and playing 10 games with that character. see how it feels. maybe you picked DDD and you absolutely hated it and you had no idea what to do. that can clue you in that you would be a more offensive player if you didn't like DDD"s defensive style.

for example, after twiddling around with all the characters for a while i dscovered that i like charactres with a strong aerial focus.

so once you have an idea of what you're looking for, just play around with some characters. the best advice i can think of is not to be intimidated by tier lists and avoid half the cast because they're "low-tier". sure it's more common for tournament victors to play higher-tiered characters but you can play well with anyone. pick a main that suits YOUR style of play and ****, if Ganondorf really suits your style of play then go for it.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Yeah, as I said, the problem comes from the fact that I actually enjoy so many characters, not that I can't find what to enjoy. I've been told that not focusing makes you worse, though, are you saying that's not true, Gatlin?
Hmm, good question. I guess I agree, that it can make you worse, but not in the full sense of the word "worse." Mainly in the sense that if you are in a tournament, and you are needing to pick a character, you won't have a character you have much experience with, seeing as you switch between many characters so often. You may be very talented, and can wreck anyone with any character, but that is not too common. I'm not saying you are forced to choose a main, but it would benefit you when it comes time to choosing a character you want to perform well with. The more playtime you have with a certain character, the more experience you will have to perform at the level you want to.

What I was saying with my post, is don't pay attention to what people deem the best characters, what characters rank the highest in the tier list, or what characters are said to have the easiest learning curve. Pay attention to the character you enjoy the most, and like playing, it'll get you farther seeing as you will enjoy getting better with that character, instead of forcing yourself to play another character.

tocool4muffins

Smash Rookie
I was like that too, I'd had so many character I love to play with in Melee and Brawl, but, I kept doing random games till I found out which characters I did the best in. It will come over time if you keep playing around randomly, cause then you'll find yourself pondering stuff like,

"I like Link and Toon Link, but i much prefer Toon Link's d-air." Eventually, you'll be doing that, and then you'll filter your way out to your mains. Like you said originally, you like pikachu, and that is a good fighter in my mind, maybe Pikachu is slowly becoming your main and you don't realize it.

Flutter NiTE

Smash Lord
Lately, I've been told to focus on 1 or 2 characters since I kind of suck. The problem is that I love playing as so many characters that I can't decide. I already use pikachu the best atm, but it isn't even by a large margin. If anyone has any suggestions on how to chose, would you let me know? Also, please don't turn this into some kind of "come to our camp" thread XD.
I main Pikachu. And I have a ton of secondaries just to counter his poor match ups. I was like you as well, always changing characters. That's a good thing though! I still main Pikachu, but I sometimes find myself playing other characters more. That gets me in the mindframe of my enemy. Let's say i'm against a Marth in a tournament, I toy around with Marth a lot at home, so I know the multiple approaches, combos, etc. That the Marth player can pull off.

Good luck!

Blissard

Smash Lord
There's a rule on SWF that bans the creation of "Choosing a Main" threads.

But to be helpful, don't main or secondary many characters (lol that's why they're called your main and your secondary") unless you're not planning to play competitively. Tier Lists help if you're aiming to have an easier time at tournaments, but they dont mean everything. Just pick whoever you wanna use most as your main, counter bad MU's with a secondary, and use all of your other characters for fun only. You'll get screwed over trying to "main" a lot of characters, since you'll soon realize that you aren't well versed in any of them. Think about your playstyle, THEN choose your character.

Zottic

Smash Rookie
I had this same problem a while back, and I've mostly got it figured out. I suggest picking 3 characters, two you are good with, and one you really like, and vice versa as well.

EpixAura

Smash Journeyman
metaknight, you don't need skill.
This.

But seriously, pick a character like Pit or Toon Link who have a ridiculous amount of playstyles at early levels of play. It is a great way to analyze your playstyle and decide what to move on to. MK is good for this purpose too, but you might get stuck on MK and not switch and then your friends will call you gay and you'll get killed in the street by gay-bashers all because you picked MK that one time people will seriously rage.

EmperorB-rad2kj

Smash Apprentice
Pick whoever you feel the best playin as or feel the most comfortable with. Its not about picking the best and easiest to learn character but who you prefer. I like snake and ike so they are my mains automatically.

Just because meta knight is good doesnt mean i like him. I use fox every once in a while because he was my melee main.

SuperMetroid44

Smash Lord
I don't think is a good question TBH. Only you can decide the character that fits you best, it's like asking someone should you like Vanilla or Chocolate Ice Cream; some may give you opinions on why ones better, but only you can truly decide the character that fits you best.

Top Bottom