• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Choosing a main that's right for me

Teal

Smash Rookie
I know, I know. You should choose your main based on your preference and ability to enjoy a certain character. However, I love peach, who I play most, but I have decided to start playing smash more seriously and I like a faster character. Fox is too fast for me and everyone plays falco. I don't really find Marth appealing and Falcon doesn't sit right with me. So, I dabbled with Sheik a little and thought it was a solid character and had a projectile, which I usually like.

Now, I am left with the option to switch to Sheik or stick with Peach. I am not very good and am just learning spacing/advanced techniques so switching won't be too much of an issue. I really like Peach, though, and it feels good to play with her, I just need to get timing down, but Sheik would be awesome because of her speed and solid play style.

Can someone give me some advice in choosing Peach vs Sheik as a main and not just, "Do whatever you want."

Thanks

Teal

Smash Rookie
That's the thing, I enjoy and feel comfortable with both. I just am not sure who to focus on if I want to start getting better :/

Last edited:
There will always be beneficial side-effects and repercussions for choosing particular characters. Most of the time its pretty negligible I would imagine. Nonetheless, any of said characters mentioned in the opening post will be conducive for competitive play. Its really only limiting when you say you are going to pick say Roy and want to take a national tournament with that character.

From my standpoint I see no great advantage over either character. I believe Peach tends to be an uncommon high tier character while you will probably see Sheik all over the place. Which means you will likely run into a lot of whoever CGs better wins type situations. Peach will likely have issues against Sheik, Marth, Jiggs, and Fox. Only slightly however and does not mean much compared to a person simply being a better player.

I am not sure what advantages or disadvantages there are to teams play. To me, teams and singles are quite different in how you act and therefore requires different actions. You could very well attempt to play one character in teams and one in singles. At least, this is the route I have taken with Marth for singles and Sheik for doubles.

Last edited:
There isn't that much strategy beyond just playing characters until you know for sure which fits you best. Keep playing and you'll gradually learn which fits you best

MistFist

Smash Cadet
The fact the you played peach before sheik means the you already had a favorite beforehand. if is because peach doesnt move as fast, take aramada or WIFE for example... they both play peach and they were if not are the best at the character... my point if. play whoever you want it doesnt matter in the end is whoever gets the controller in his/her hands that will make the difference :) just follow your heart :)

Alice!

Smash Rookie
New York City (home), Northampton MA (school)
If you love Peach, stick with her! Feeling cozy with your character will help you improve and stuff.

As an aside, yeah, coming out as a Peach main can feel scary at first, but I guarantee everything will be okay and you'll feel way more comfortable after! Feel free to message me if you want hugs or talks or anything - I know how important it is to have people around who are supportive.

<3!

Last edited:

Zone

Smash Champion
Which means you will likely run into a lot of whoever CGs better wins type situations.
When I use to play Sheik pretty seriously, Every sheik ditto I did we did Gentlemen's agreement where we agree to not chain grab. Is this more uncommon than I thought? I've NEVER chain grabbed another sheik before lol

anyways OP, I say play both.

Nothing wrong with playing 2 characters IMO ;\ many people do it. I have 3 mains myself.

Last edited:

Red Rice

Smash Journeyman
When I use to play Sheik pretty seriously, Every sheik ditto I did we did Gentlemen's agreement where we agree to not chain grab. Is this more uncommon than I thought? I've NEVER chain grabbed another sheik before lol

anyways OP, I say play both.

Nothing wrong with playing 2 characters IMO ;\ many people do it. I have 3 mains myself.
It solely depends on who you play with and how seriously/badly they want to win. Also how confident they are with CGing

Zone

Smash Champion
It's
It solely depends on who you play with and how seriously/badly they want to win. Also how confident they are with CGing
not about how seriously they want to win. Nobody wants to be the guy that agreed then changed his mind on a agreement mid match.

SAUS

Smash Ace
I know, I know. You should choose your main based on your preference and ability to enjoy a certain character. However, I love peach, who I play most, but I have decided to start playing smash more seriously and I like a faster character. Fox is too fast for me and everyone plays falco. I don't really find Marth appealing and Falcon doesn't sit right with me. So, I dabbled with Sheik a little and thought it was a solid character and had a projectile, which I usually like.

Now, I am left with the option to switch to Sheik or stick with Peach. I am not very good and am just learning spacing/advanced techniques so switching won't be too much of an issue. I really like Peach, though, and it feels good to play with her, I just need to get timing down, but Sheik would be awesome because of her speed and solid play style.

Can someone give me some advice in choosing Peach vs Sheik as a main and not just, "Do whatever you want."

Thanks
Both characters are good and you can enjoy the game as either character. You might be best off just learning both characters and seeing which way you lean towards later down the road. Peach is actually pretty fast if you learn her technical stuff.

If you want to just choose the better character, then go with Shiek. She has better tournament results and I think she's more well-rounded in terms of matchups.

Walbytamer11

Smash Apprentice
If you are JUST learning techniques and whatnot, I really don't think you should be so obsessed with narrowing your mains down. I had 5 or 6 "mains" before I managed to wavedash across DL64. Then again...melee is melee and it's amazing no matter what. I don't think that the limited experience you have can really help you make your decision, nor can asking people who don't have much knowledge about 'cha (playstyle, skill with each character, hell even personality factors into it). I'm gonna recommend playing both of them, get your tech skill down, go to a local or something and get advice there to help as well. After that, with new confidence in your tech skill, you may find comfort in the characters that don't "sit right" with you like falcon or somethin'.

What I wrote might be what you asked us not to do, but I tried. Best of luck mate~

Toadmode

Smash Rookie
I think if you already are at a good pace with Peach and you love that character then you should defiantly stick to her and adapt to her play style a bit more.

I'm kinda bad at helping others since I only main and play Roy. ._.

psychoripper

Smash Rookie
If you want to play a faster character go with shiek. Peach is rediculously slow
Both are fun to play with though for different reasons so I would recommend playing with others and seeing who you feel like you would be willing to learnt he most with or feel the most resonated with

AceMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KnowledgeMan
Try them both out for a while, if you notice one of your chars is far, far better than the other drop the one who is far, far worse with the exception of bad MUs for the character (or just whoever you play bad against (i.e. I play a bit worse against Falco so I go Marth on them instead of my Fox)) and if you notice that you play equally with them either co-main them or like others have said plenty of times and is getting clichéd, choose with your heart/ what you prefer.

Top Bottom