• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chillin in Windy Hill - Sonic Screenshots Thread (UPDATED 7-24-2014)

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster

Since there hasn't been a thread for this yet, I figured I'd be the one to make it. Here is a thread for all Sonic and/or Sonic related screenshots from Super Smash Bros. for Wii U & 3DS.

Wii U
image.jpg
image.jpg

3DS
jNSvSpCzu6w7J.jpg

Other Sources

I will update whenever a new picture with Sonic in it is put out.​

Last edited:

infomon

Smash Scientist
Yeyea that would be awesome. I'm totally just hunting for moveset / mechanics details :)

It's ok though don't expend extra effort! I'll be getting the 3DS version the day it hits the shelves and looking as hard as I can into the game mechanics. That's basically what I did for Brawl, and with the help of some other people on the forums, figured out how "momentum cancelling" works which saved me several times w sonic in tournament. Hoping that sonic is not terrible in smash4 :)

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
Yeyea that would be awesome. I'm totally just hunting for moveset / mechanics details :)

It's ok though don't expend extra effort! I'll be getting the 3DS version the day it hits the shelves and looking as hard as I can into the game mechanics. That's basically what I did for Brawl, and with the help of some other people on the forums, figured out how "momentum cancelling" works which saved me several times w sonic in tournament. Hoping that sonic is not terrible in smash4 :)
Okay then, I should get em up sometime later today after I get out of school. And I'm looking for moveset/mechanics details as well, these images are really helpful.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Well, I think the intention in Brawl was to make the gameplay take place more often in the air. They tried to do that by making all characters somewhat floaty, giving some characters high aerial mobility (e.g. Wario), and giving some characters flying up-Bs and glides (mainly new characters).

Smash4 looks to me like they are giving the characters all better jumps and focussing less on fly+attack up-Bs. Yes some new up-Bs are flying but look at how they changed Pit's. Instead of flying around with some limited ability to attack, they might fly around but just as a means to get back to the stage (Olimar, Villager).

But with better neutral-jumps, all the characters have more ability to fight in the air.

That's my hunch at this point, anyway :) theorycraft ftw!

Johnny Wellens

Smash Apprentice
I'm super happy with how Windy Hill looks. Much better than Green Hill Zone in Brawl.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
I got some gifs up from the direct.

I slowed this one down on purpose. So it'll be easier to see Sonic's movements.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Wow, very interesting. Thank you!!!

Guys, do we have any evidence that Sonic has a spindash without-the-hop anymore?? I think I've only seen the side-B, at least recently. Would be interesting if they combine the spindashes and make it one move...

In the "Familiar Stages" vs. Mario shot, we see that from a single full-hop he can do a Uair and then a Bair with the Bair happening before he even descends to the Halberd middle platform. Is that equivalent to Brawl, or a bit faster? It also looks like his feet don't stretch out as far from his body, which could imply that these moves are less disjoint.

The Samus final-smash shot: At the very beginning he's in a blue ball descending toward the platform, while Fox is flying upwards. Either that was the descension of an SDJ, or it's the end of something I don't recognize.

Side-note: What framerate does Brawl run at? 30fps or 60fps? If it's 30fps, then we'll have to adjust our frame-count comparisons to compare vs smash4.

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
Also to note sonic's spring keeps going even after it hits an opponent apparently. As when marth gets meteor smashed by dair sonic hit him with spring and it continues to wall. Whether or not the hitbox lingers making it a walling projectile is unclear. Also seems his usmash has been given less cooldown and was reanimated alongside his uair and bair. From that small snippit before samus's zero laser you can see him exiting his usmash animation and entering cooldown and then he goes immdianly into utilt (which they showed sonic using A LOT in this direct which might imply it was buffed in some way). Also in the shot where they first show the full size of palutena's temple sonic can be spotted performing utilt and then jumping to the platform above with Nair which has been given added graphical effects and seems to also end quick. Also aerial up B seems to not travel as high when i saw it during rosalina's final smash but it does still have it's invinci frames. Overall i'd say sonic's been given some very nice buffs to his overall moveset. Whether he still have two spin dash attacks has yet to be seen hopefully he doesn't and that later on sakurai will talk more about veteran changes and bring up sonic. I mean the fact that he bothered to include that little SD >> Uair >> Dair meteor smash clip shows that sonic is obviously one of the characters included in the whole "Give old characters new moves and enhancements" thing which is great.

Also in that halberd pic if you watch closely you can see that sonic did a double jump as the small double jump ring appears underneath him which implies that he did a full hop then double jump uair'd

Last edited:

infomon

Smash Scientist
ohhhhh ya I'm dumb on two counts:

1. that's the end of his Upsmash in the samus shot

2. yeah it was a double-jump in Halberd

too bad o well
we'll see what happens this summer I guess!!

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
Gotta say what they did to Sonic looks really great. His moves come out so much faster than they did in Brawl. It always bugged me because, well, Sonic is the FASTEST thing alive, so he should have some of the fastest moves in the game alongside the fastest dash. His combo potential looks insane, especially with the Dive Kick's new spiking ability

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Sorry Man, I never saw this. Ive made like 6 before and I never saw a sticky or it near the top of the thread list, so I was a moron and just assumed Sonic was another one missing. I'll talk to a mod to close mine and get this one stickied. Nice work btw.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
Sorry Man, I never saw this. Ive made like 6 before and I never saw a sticky or it near the top of the thread list, so I was a moron and just assumed Sonic was another one missing. I'll talk to a mod to close mine and get this one stickied. Nice work btw.
Thanks bro. And lol we all make stupid mistakes

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
I'm super happy with how Windy Hill looks. Much better than Green Hill Zone in Brawl.
It certainly does look a lot better, but do you guys think Green Hill Zone will return though? The stage may not have been the best, but i did grow to like it and its still a stage i enjoy to play on from time to time. Though, something does tell me it's going to return, but only in the 3DS version. That's just a feeling, however.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
It certainly does look a lot better, but do you guys think Green Hill Zone will return though? The stage may not have been the best, but i did grow to like it and its still a stage i enjoy to play on from time to time. Though, something does tell me it's going to return, but only in the 3DS version. That's just a feeling, however.
That's pretty much how I've been thinking. The 3DS version doesn't have a Sonic stage yet, so it'd be easier.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Okay but real talk:

Did Villager throw a beehive at Sonic's right hand or something? His fist is HUGE here! o_O

Mari

Saving the planet from disaster!
To be honest, I'd love it if they came up with a revamped Green Hill Zone.

(Or a Stardust Speedway stage, but that's just me, right?)

Last edited:

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
To be honest, I'd love it if they came up with a revamped Green Hill Zone.

(Or a Stardust Speedway stage, but that's just me, right?)
Or something from Colors, I'd like Tropical Resort or Aquarium Park

itsameluigi1290

Smash Journeyman
NNID
luigitime1290
Sonic is so amazing. Can't wait to play as him in SSB4! Also, I find it funny that 85% of his 3DS pics have Pokémon in them.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
I wonder why out of all the 3DS footage we've seen, none of them had Sonic.

MM3K

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MM3000
3DS FC
3308-4705-1012
Can someone explain me what is Sonic doing in the very last picture?

I made this account just to ask this question btw :b

EDIT: nvm I'm pretty sure now it's f-throw, oh well, at least I'm out of the shadows, huh?

Last edited:

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
Can someone explain me what is Sonic doing in the very last picture?

I made this account just to ask this question btw :b

EDIT: nvm I'm pretty sure now it's f-throw, oh well, at least I'm out of the shadows, huh?
Lol. Yes, it's Fthrow. Welcome to Smashboards, btw.

MM3K

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MM3000
3DS FC
3308-4705-1012
Lol. Yes, it's Fthrow. Welcome to Smashboards, btw.
Well, thanks, also great job putting together all the pictures of our favorite blue hedgehog, you might want to give descriptions as to what's going on in them, as to avoid possible confusions like mine, but yeah that might be too much, so whatevs, it's great the way it is anyway.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
Well, thanks, also great job putting together all the pictures of our favorite blue hedgehog, you might want to give descriptions as to what's going on in them, as to avoid possible confusions like mine, but yeah that might be too much, so whatevs, it's great the way it is anyway.
I didn't figure they'd need explaining, since I thought most people who'd come to this board know what Sonic's moves look like anyway. Then again, perhaps I just have an eye for detail.

MM3K

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MM3000
3DS FC
3308-4705-1012
I didn't figure they'd need explaining, since I thought most people who'd come to this board know what Sonic's moves look like anyway. Then again, perhaps I just have an eye for detail.
I guess you're right, I just panicked when I saw it 'cause it looks a lot like the top kick from Sonic Battle, but I did figured it out so, yeah it's not so necessary.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Judging from these pics, Sonic's moves seem to be the same as in Brawl.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
Last edited:

Jords2Good

Smash Journeyman
I'll for sure be spending a lot of time on Windy hill FD form.

Even though the stage its self still look like a decent stage. I wonder if the deadly six will make cameo's specifically Zazz since he was the boss of windy hill. I really hope he doesn't act as a boss hazard with that giant yellow moon. I'd rather have him appear in the background and that's it.

Its also possible that tails flying on the tornado could make an appearance because in the first level of windy hill you see tails fly by you.

Just ideas though to give charm to the level. The animal's there are a nice touch.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
I'll for sure be spending a lot of time on Windy hill FD form.

Even though the stage its self still look like a decent stage. I wonder if the deadly six will make cameo's specifically Zazz since he was the boss of windy hill. I really hope he doesn't act as a boss hazard with that giant yellow moon. I'd rather have him appear in the background and that's it.

Its also possible that tails flying on the tornado could make an appearance because in the first level of windy hill you see tails fly by you.

Just ideas though to give charm to the level. The animal's there are a nice touch.
I would rather have Eggman or Metal Sonic.

MM3K

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MM3000
3DS FC
3308-4705-1012
Does Metal Sonic appear in Sonic Lost World? If not I think Tails does makes more sense either way, or maybe they'll do like in Green Hill Zone in Brawl, where Tails, Knuckles, and Silver (For some weird reason) appear in the background. They could have the Tornado fly by with Tails and some other character on it, I don't know, something like that would be pretty neat.

Top Bottom