• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cheers from the Crowd

faceCHEEKwall

Smash Rookie
There is nothing quite like taking names in a FFA game. You rock 3 people as Kirby. Get a yo-yo sweep on 3 as Ness. The Capt.'s falcon punch or a Fox up smash kick.

Maybe you just get a nice string of untouchable slams in on everybody, taking advantage of everyone's high damage and managing to smash finish everybody off stage.

Anyway, after doing so, there's nothing more thrilling than hearing your name chanted by that mysterious (apparently huge) audience. "PIK A CHU!!! PIKI A CHU!!!" "DONK KEY KONG!!! DONK KEY KONG!!!"

So I was wondering, what are the bare programming requirements to earn these chants? Does anyone have some possible ideas? Has anyone actually found out for sure?

A friend of mine think it's 3 smashes within a certain time period. I believe it has a little more to do with total damage in a particular time increment. But if that is the case, what are the exact numbers involved?

cmasterchoe

Smash Journeyman
I think its definitely the total damage done in a particular time increment, or perhaps its done with a certain combo percentage. For example, in training mode, the game keeps track of the combo damage, so maybe if you pull off a connected combo and not just an attack in a time frame, it starts to cheer your name.

cmasterchoe

Smash Journeyman
ask ant-d he knows all. What also keeps a cheer going? Sometimes they go on for inordinate amount of times, and sometimes they are short lived (even though you are still kicking their butt) now i'm really interested in what the formula is.

Thino

Smash Master
you have to be over 9000! 100%
then , I'd say 2 moves with high knockback within 1 second , those moves makes the crowd yelss "yeeeaah!" or something.
then a minimal amount of times they repeat , no matter what happens ( even losing a stock)
then they stop when you get hit with high knockback or lose a stock.
if none of those happen , they'll stop cheering after some time

I leave the values to antd

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
...I once super jump punched 3 people in an FFA as Luigi, and they all died. I taunted like 5 times while I waited for them to come down.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Umm, I had the sound muted, so I guess the world will never know. Though moogle might, he was in the game...hehe.
I don't see why posing would do anything.

Umbrasquall

Smash Ace
You'll get a cheer every time if someone is trying to edgeguard off the edge, and you hit them instead, screwing up their edgeguard. This may only apply for above a certain %.

You'll also get a cheer if you do a certain amount of damage in a certain time frame, doesn't matter if it's done to 1, 2, or 3 other characters. Obviously it's harder to get a cheer if you're only attacking 1 opponent.

These are all just imo.

faceCHEEKwall

Smash Rookie
So, this Ant-D character knows the numbers?

We could think about this from the audience's perspective. If someone fresh out of the gate, started whooping on a highly-damaged player, I wouldn't be that impressed. I would be the most impressed if the attacking character had a lot of damage, and was high-knockback-ing players left and right, him/herself going unscathed.

Or, as Umbrasquall suggested, an edgeguarding counter. Because, as the an audience member, I'd think to myself: "Oh man, Samus is totally done for. Ness is going off the edge for the spike. HOLY HELL!!! Samus spiked Ness instead!!! OH MY GOD!!!"

Followed by, of course: "SA MUS SA MUS SA MUS"

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Sometimes the crowd is amazingly stupid. I don't trust the crowd to know what they're seeing.

cmasterchoe

Smash Journeyman
I think the crowd is actually ravenous hooligans that are drunk that stumbled upon a showdown on the rooftops of saffron city and then started cheering deliriously with no regard as to whats actually happening... which would explain the cheers continuing even though the player just got killed yet its as if it never happened...

faceCHEEKwall

Smash Rookie
I hate when that happens. You just munked up your opponents (so it triggers the cheering), but then you die too. Maybe the fans know how good you are, and they are encouraging you to give it your all on this next life.

That actually happens quite a bit, maybe the cheering has to do with kicking butt with your own character at a high percentage.

Umbrasquall

Smash Ace
I was thinking when I posted my last post in this thread. The gasps from the crowd when you make it back to the stage at a high damage (The "Ohhh!!") is really annoying. It sometimes happens even when you get knocked off like 1 feet away from the edge and make it back.

Top Bottom