• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Check Out Charizard's Sliding Rock Smash With 'My Smash Corner'

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
Earlier this evening, Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS YouTube channel My Smash Corner released a video showing off a neat little technique for Charizard. Charizard's Rock Smash special attack is incredibly powerful and has several awesome properties including super armor, but because of its slow start-up and mediocre range, its uses are somewhat limited.

Unless...
However, Rock Smash can be jump-canceled to add forward momentum to the attack, allowing it to cover more ground and create new punish opportunities. Opponents will think twice before using their get-up attack now! Watch the video below for more info.

Charizard's Sliding Rock Smash
If you liked the video, be sure to subscribe to My Smash Corner's YouTube channel and follow them on Twitter. There's sure to be more great info to come!

The Derrit is glad to see some great info coming from YouTube. If you have any ideas for articles or people to watch, message him here or on Twitter at @TheDerrit.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Charizard used Rock Slide!

It's super effective!

It sorta looks like Charizard's wavedashing while using it, too, so it looks really cool.

Last edited:

Satan-

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3969-6402-0771
Inb4thisgetspatchedout

But seriously, nice to see some new techs for my secondary. I'll try incorporating this into my tech chases and game play.

Gatoray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gatoray
3DS FC
3024-5880-3045
At least we get SOME cool AT's...

*desperately knocks on wood*

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
This tech probably can be applied to some of the other characters. Mainly the ones that don't have their mometum halted when doing down B. Who would be these characters? We gotta do testing to find out.

King Radical

Smash Rookie
This tech probably can be applied to some of the other characters. Mainly the ones that don't have their mometum halted when doing down B. Who would be these characters? We gotta do testing to find out.
I just opened up my 3DS and got the hang of doing it with charizard real quick then tested it out with Ike's counter since that stops momentum as well and I think it seems to work. Far less noticeably but he does slide forward while countering slightly. Doubt that would be all that useful really but it does seem to work for other momentum cancelling down Bs as you suggested.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
As a Charizard user who loves to use a little too much Rock Smash, this is awesome!

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
Well, this definitely makes him better, but I wanna know about how effective this is at a comp level.

TrogdorTheBurninator

Smash Rookie
I love this guy's videos because...

=>Youtube Settings (Gear Icon)
=>Speed
=>0.5

AND...
Smash Bros tips by Walter White Jr.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
REAL charizard mains only need one move, and it sure as hell isn't this one. useless.

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
Sakurai: "oh you found a new technique that adds mores options for a character and makes a normally risky unsafe move, a *LITTLE* less risky? TIME TO PATCH IT OUT!"

Last edited:

Li'l Devi'

Smash Cadet
NNID
TFSRunner
Imma see if you can b-reverse with it later. Seems like a nice fake-out if you can.
Oh, and I guess If you don't like the idea of losing a shoulder button, but don't really mind losing c-stick for smash attacks, you could tap-jump to b-stick with the same results probably.

Last edited:

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
This will probably be eventually patched. Actually, this just seems to be caused by the fact that you can jump out of shield. It doesn't seem to be anything too amazing.

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
What makes this news any different from any other character specific AT news? I could understand if this was at least for more than 1 character, but I feel like this was kinda forced up on the front here.

Either way though, it is a cool channel.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
So rocks are Charizard's best friends in Smash yet in the Pokemon universe they are his kryptonite.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
I wouldn't mind if this gets patched, but goddamn he better get some buffs. Flare Blitz nerf wasn't necessary

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
God dammit. As if I needed something else to deal with fighting those damn Charizards. Although the ones that just spam Flare Blitz are great for my win rate.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
This tactic may be useful for momentum forward, but...
There's no way in hell you can tell me that this is a truly viable technique for Charizard. It's even easier to dodge by rolling behind Charizard, and you can still roll backward a great distance and not get hit.

Might as well just do the regular Rock Smash, because I only see this as a gimmick that's only useful for low end edge-guarding and being punished.

This just doesn't help by much at all. In fact, this most likely just hurts Charizard if you can read him and dodge correctly (or Counter). Sure, the attack has Super Armor, but only at the start up, and at the same time, the attack is slow, and if you use SRS (Sliding Rock Smash abbreviation), you'll just end up finding yourself behind the opponent and countered like all hell.

Not trying to bash on anything, this is just my take and opinion on this new gimmick.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
This tactic may be useful for momentum forward, but...
There's no way in hell you can tell me that this is a truly viable technique for Charizard. It's even easier to dodge by rolling behind Charizard, and you can still roll backward a great distance and not get hit.

Might as well just do the regular Rock Smash, because I only see this as a gimmick that's only useful for low end edge-guarding and being punished.

This just doesn't help by much at all. In fact, this most likely just hurts Charizard if you can read him and dodge correctly (or Counter). Sure, the attack has Super Armor, but only at the start up, and at the same time, the attack is slow, and if you use SRS (Sliding Rock Smash abbreviation), you'll just end up finding yourself behind the opponent and countered like all hell.

Not trying to bash on anything, this is just my take and opinion on this new gimmick.
It's literally a moving rock smash.

If your opponent is good enough to punish you, you'd be screwed with the regular one too.

But people expect the regular one.

This could definitely be used as a mix up or chase, since it buffers the attack DURING the slide.

Also the pebbles that fly off usually deal with rolls.

Pryze

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Apollon1an
Inb4thisgetspatchedout

But seriously, nice to see some new techs for my secondary. I'll try incorporating this into my tech chases and game play.
It might not. Afterall, Ness' double-PK Thunder remained after the patch.

Top Bottom