• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cheapness?

Yoshi'stheBombers7

Smash Journeyman
You're not being cheap. He's being suck.
There's your answer.

I find edge guarding/edge hogging to be the only cheap techniques.
How the heck is that cheap?

All characters can do that. If you can do it too, it's not cheap. It's perfectly fair.

Here's what I think: The only reason why the little boy cried cheap was because he doesn't have enough skill to do the supposedly "cheap" thing.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
Ok... I'm going to tone down my normal flamable persona for this post.

Basically, what we have here is a very good player, and three not-so-good players. I would have to go out on a limb and say that most people outside of a tournament don't really enjoy getting 10-shined off the stage over-and-over-and-over-and-over-and-over-and-you-get-my-point. We have someone who clearly doesn't enjoy the way you play and sees the way you play as a total hinderence to his advancement in the game. Honestly if he doesn't have a SWF ID, then he could care less what a wavedash is.

I say that you should ease off a tad. If there are no competition-grade players in your area, you are polishing your skills up for no purpose other than your own gratification, which is fine, but if one of your friends is complaining, then everyone is not enjoying the game.

Whether the blame for a not-so-good time rests with your playing or his name-calling is unimportant. You can agree to meet him half way, you've toned down all of your insane tactics... he needs to tone down his complaining.

In the end, my heart goes out to you. I've been in the same spot, but I've already alienated everyone I live around, because they don't like to play with me... now I have no-one to play with.

So, take some advice from your old friend Marley... or the first spirit will visit when the bell tolls oooooooone........
Or they could play someone nearly equal to their skill level.

Timo710

Smash Rookie
Basicly what you are experiencing is the fact that because of the Pro-ness you have, the game isn't fun anymore unless you face other opponents who play the game the same way as you do. I describe myself as a skilled-basic player, I kick everybodies *** who is just basic playing, however once people start using crazy skills and ****, I can't compete, and sometimes, some of those skills come off cheap.

I mean, you do have to face it, some skills have become extremely easy to pull off, and a basic player can't do anything about them, and because of that, it spoils it. So yeah, I try not to teach myself those techniques, and just play the basic way the best I can. This way the game remains enjoyable every time I play it, no mather who is my opponent, even a first timer, feels he can compete, just because the way I play is fair, and some of the techniques to advanced players do take a long time to master.

It isn't cheating, but I can only say that advanced player are missing out on a lot of fun.

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer
Any tactic that kills you is called "cheep" by a noob. It's the only thing they can think of, when they should think "skill"

It's not our fault we practice harder and use more advanced tactics.

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer
Or to add to that: Just knowing what were doing, even the basics >_>
Its true. I just love the irony of all these people who come in and tell us how the game should be played, when clearly, whatever way helps you win, is how you play.

The only reason they complain, is because they lose. If they knew these advanced tactics or even basics they would NOT complain one bit, but they aren't willing to work at it.

shadydentist

Smash Lord
Considering that the entire game is based on getting your opponent off the stage, I fail to see how edge hogging or guarding could possibly be considered cheap.

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer
Seriously, its IN THE GAME. Meant to be there. Besides, when asked about it, Sakurai thought it was neat that we found all these advanced tactics in the game. He was totally fine with it.

That makes the whole creators intent thing change now doesn't it? Mwaha!

Nasanieru

Smash Journeyman
haha I used to have this problem with my friends too.
For me if someone is telling me that I'm being cheap, it means that I'm doing something right.
SSBM competitive play is all about being as cheap as you can to win.
I tell my friends to learn if they want to stand a chance, and now my friends can use advanced techs (low level).
^ ^ when people tell you that you have no life. . .most of us play video games the same amount of time that other people do, we just play smash more than other games.

jwkirby64

Smash Journeyman
He just has a bad case of Frustration Urination. I don't believe he wants to learn by losing, but rather think that he believes "I'm going to beat Dante this time!" But losing will always bring out excuses. Controller sux, stop cheating, he's haxors, or whatever. Try to teach him some of the techniques to show him the opportunities and difficulties in actually pulling those techniques off. If he refuses or gives up, he really does have a bad case of Frustration Urination.

Cure: yoyo-glitch abuse

Timo710

Smash Rookie
Basicly what you are experiencing is the fact that because of the Pro-ness you have, the game isn't fun anymore unless you face other opponents who play the game the same way as you do. I describe myself as a skilled-basic player, I kick everybodies *** who is just basic playing, however once people start using crazy skills and ****, I can't compete, and sometimes, some of those skills come off cheap.

I mean, you do have to face it, some skills have become extremely easy to pull off, and a basic player can't do anything about them, and because of that, it spoils it. So yeah, I try not to teach myself those techniques, and just play the basic way the best I can. This way the game remains enjoyable every time I play it, no mather who is my opponent, even a first timer, feels he can compete, just because the way I play is fair, and some of the techniques to advanced players do take a long time to master.

It isn't cheating, but I can only say that advanced player are missing out on a lot of fun.
Comeon guys, do you actually read the last post or just reply to the first one, I think I have a point in what I'm saying here, read it!

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer
^LOL! I love it when people think advanced techniques and skilled players aren't having any fun, or are "missing out." Seriously, where did you come up with that mentality? Play however you want to, but we'll stick to our ways of playing.

The point we are all trying to make is don't complain if we beat you, because with our practice and efforts we clearly have every right to.

He just has a bad case of Frustration Urination. I don't believe he wants to learn by losing, but rather think that he believes "I'm going to beat Dante this time!" But losing will always bring out excuses. Controller sux, stop cheating, he's haxors, or whatever. Try to teach him some of the techniques to show him the opportunities and difficulties in actually pulling those techniques off. If he refuses or gives up, he really does have a bad case of Frustration Urination.

Cure: yoyo-glitch abuse
LOL And thats when you say, "NO JOHNS!"

omG_A_coW

Smash Apprentice
haha I used to have this problem with my friends too.
For me if someone is telling me that I'm being cheap, it means that I'm doing something right.
SSBM competitive play is all about being as cheap as you can to win.
I tell my friends to learn if they want to stand a chance, and now my friends can use advanced techs (low level).
^ ^ when people tell you that you have no life. . .most of us play video games the same amount of time that other people do, we just play smash more than other games.
It's true that you should do all that you can to win (be as "cheap" as possible) but I think if someones really far below your level there's really no reason to go all out on them and make them feel bad. If your friend is getting pissed at you then you should ease up a bit or come to a compromise so your both having fun.

I completely understand if the kids being really annoying about every little thing you do and you let him have it.

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer
Thats true. But sandbagging is no way to improve their skills. Honestly, playing people who are better than you will make you better, but if they aren't willing to learn what you know, their is no point.

Besides, I think sandbagging is more cruel then letting them lose.

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer
Which is sad, really if you think about it.

I know I get frustrated when Buzz beats me, but I only have myself to blame. I obviously didn't practice enough.

SETHMASTEROFPKMN

Smash Cadet
I don't know where you live, but around here, we call those types of people a sore loser. he will always find an excuse to say that he would've beaten you if something hadn't had happened. Sometimes this is the case (like when a Banzai Bill comes out of no where and explodes), but usualy its not. The only solution is to beat the crap out of him, NOT going easier.

omG_A_coW

Smash Apprentice
I agree that going down to the point of sandbagging most likely isn't helping anyone. But if you can completely destroy someone I don't think using every single move that you use on someone in lets say a tournament is the right thing to do.

I use unexperienced players to maybe practice combos on instead of infinite shining, shine spiking at 10% off the ledge, infinite grabbing, chain throwing, -insert unkind move here-. These moves are better used against someone at your same level or in a situation where you really need to win.

If the other person doesn't care or wants to be exposed to that kind of stuff then just go crazy on em.

Heck, I just laugh when i get gimp killed and say " awww crap".

kenhead

Smash Apprentice
Anyone who says your cheep is just mad because your better than them. When they're mad they say things like you have no life and play this all day, but really they play it more than you do. They say you play the game the wrong way. These are all excusses and bad ones at that. When I play with my sucky friends they play on a team against me with handycaps and brag when they beat me by being the ice climbers and using ice blocks over and over again. They say i'm cheap when i shine spike, wavedash, and tech.

Bailey

Smash Hero
Anyone who says they don't WaveDash or SH or anything like that can keep doing it and keep losing.

If they think they are playing with honor I would completely "disgrace myself" (4 stock by solely Waveshining) all over their heads.

Top Bottom