• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chasing Bombs....

Link226

Smash Ace
I tried searching this but found nothing.

As long as i can remember i have been playing SSBM, and when i was a noob i remember everytime i would take a stock from my opponents i would throw Ylink or Links bomb in front of me and run to try to catch it. :laugh: Its kinda funny because i knew i wouldnt catch it but still tried. But when i learned about wavedashing and wavelanding i tried wavedashing after i throw the bomb but the bomb would fall by the time i landed on the ground. So i tried wavelanding and it works!!

So its kinda goes like this...Run, short hop, throw the bomb, waveland, and catch with A.

I first found out this can be done with my main Link, but i can only catch it about 75% of the time. And its a little glitchy because everytime you catch it Link doesnt actually grab it, because its a little to far. But it just magically appears in your hand.

I dont have a cube right now so i cant tell you if this works with Young Link, but im almost positive it does because Ylinks waveland is better then Links i believe.

Im not sure if this is known but if it is dont bash me :laugh:

Zodiac

Smash Master
Sounds fun. Although.hmmm I can see some mind game opportunities with this. I'll develop the technique and get back to you, thanks for bringing this to my attention

Link226

Smash Ace
Yea sometimes when me and my friends are having friendlies i would run and do this trick and when i catch it they usually block! lol Then i throw it up, grab and up throw and bam they hit the bomb :laugh: But when im playing serious games this doesnt really occur to my mind to do it.

plasman

Smash Apprentice
This isn't the EXACT same as your little trick, but when I'm playing Fox or Falco and they reflect a bomb (or someone else powershields it) : if I resist the urge to move or dodge the bomb'll sometimes bounce off Link's shield to jump catch it. By that time it's about to explode oftentimes so it's not extremely useful.

On the note of using Bomb's in victory celebrations, if I have enough time to when an opponent is flying towards the end of their last stock I'll toss a bomb upwards, jump to the side, air jump back toward the bomb, catch it mid-air and then throw it down. Just a fun little celebratory thing for the end of a match since there's usually not enough time before my opponent returns mid-match.

Jash

Smash Lord
Something else i learned is when im running i like to short hop and drop the bomb then when i land i instantly turn around and grab the bomb.....it still looks kinda funny because it looks like it already hit the floor but Link grabs it.

HideousBeing

Smash Ace
I am not a Link player and have not had much opportunity to play with experienced players. I must ask, is it possible for Link to somehow put a Bomb on the ground? I know it can be done by throwing the Bomb upwards, where its trajectory peak is practically on a platform above Link, but can Link somehow drop a Bomb just right or place one on the ground in any way?

MASAHIROx

Smash Lord
^ yes its called bomb drop.

this bomb things sounds cool. but i don't have the time to learn it. Its pretty useless...but pretty i guess

so...who is going to the Gauntlet!?

Skler

Smash Master
Yes, and right before you hit the ground if you tap z to drop the bomb it will come to rest on the ground. It's hard to do and is pointless.

MASAHIROx

Smash Lord
yep. bomb drop. just get the timing correct on pressing z right before link makes contact w/ the ground. link has to jump. (i've seen hardcore link nerds throw one bomb up, take out another bomb and drop it just the right right way so both bombs will drop.) the bomb will drop safely onto the ground...and i think if you throw a boomerang at it it will slide.

ehh. ricky does it all the time and lines up the bombs like snowballs. it works for him.

linkskillsKILLS

Smash Cadet
wow sounds like a cool bomb trick, i'll definatly play with it a little. but while were on the subject of bomb tricks..i got one. Im not sure if anyone has found this out as well but you can juggle bombs (sorta).

What I do is pull out a bomb, throw it up, step forward and pullout another bomb, which i throw up. Then quickly turn around and catch the first bomb i tossed up. Its pretty cool looking..but has little to no reasonable uses in a competative match. This can be repeated but when you catch the first bomb throw it then pull put another to toss upwards and reapeat the original steps.

HideousBeing

Smash Ace
I like just throwing two up in the air...then taunting. Nothing real productive though...
A cool taunt I always liked with Link, is throwing a Bomb hard into the air from the ground, jumping up and stabbing it with u air. It looks real cool and feels real nice. Don't screw up trying this, if the bomb explodes on you and you take damage (u n00b, u) it is quite humiliating.

Top Bottom