• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Charizard's DThrow: Infinite?

Oasys17

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys. So I was playing PM the last night with a few buddies of mine, and, in PM, I've been dabbling a bit with Charizard. When I first started playing, I thought his downthrow was quite lame. Mediocre damage, and unlike alot of downthrows, had no combo-ability afterwards. But yesterday, against my friend's DK, I decided to try "tech chasing" afterwards(though it's not a TRUE tech chase) and much to my delight, and his infuriation, I got it again, and again, and again :O I eventually stopped cuz it left a bad taste in my mouth, but I was wondering... What are the options someone has when faced with that? It didn't seem like there was ANYTHING he could do. Rolling would get chased>punished, neutral would just be punished, and wake up attacking would get shielded>punished. Thoughts? I'm still relatively new to the scene, and I might be missing something, but this seems a little broken :X

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
It's a chase, but it's not infinite. They have to either fake out the Charizard so he goes the wrong way, or react before the Charizard is able to regrab him.

Oasys17

Smash Apprentice
Hmm. I feel like with solid reaction times, you can punish it every time. DK's Hurtbox is quite large though, so maybe that was why it seems so easy for me?

Ace55

Smash Lord
Vs chars with a bad techroll it's a great techchase but it's far from an infinite. Even if your reflexes are godlike and you somehow punish every option with a re-grab they can still position themselves towards an edge to avoid it.

In other news cpu Fox has like the best Dthrow followups (if you tech it) that I've ever seen. Glad humans don't have that sort of reaction time.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Charizard's DThrow is not an infinite even if you have cat-like reflexes because the opponent can techroll to the edge and eventually get meteor'd off the stage; this puts them in a bad position, but it breaks the sequence of grabs. However, it theoretically is possible to always regrab the opponent after a DThrow if they can't fall off the stage.

In other news cpu Fox has like the best Dthrow followups (if you tech it) that I've ever seen. Glad humans don't have that sort of reaction time.
In Melee, I've seen people use DThrow -> turnaround UTilt with Fox versus Jiggs; turnaround UTilt covers standing tech and missed tech while her techrolls are so bad that you still have time to chase her and grab after the UTilt if she techrolls. In PM, it's even easier because momentum is not conserved on techrolls, causing people to techroll much closer to Fox than in Melee. I'm sort of surprised that people haven't been doing DThrow tech traps on platforms with Fox/Falco yet; DThrow -> USmash/FSmash/DSmash/DTilt (for Falco) all seem like very powerful options, especially when you're closer to the ceiling.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
It's still really mediocre as far as D-throws go. Bad frame advantage, worse followups. Pretty sure it's meant to be one of those "Balanced by the character's grab range or whatever **** you" sort of things, despite Marth having better throw setups and a comparable grab range.

Oasys17

Smash Apprentice
I mained Marth and Mewtwo way back in the day when I played melee as a child. Since MewTwo isn't in PM, I picked up Charizard and felt a lot of similarities and dug it. Seismic Toss is pretty cool though, gotta admit :p

Ace55

Smash Lord
Charizard's DThrow is not an infinite even if you have cat-like reflexes because the opponent can techroll to the edge and eventually get meteor'd off the stage; this puts them in a bad position, but it breaks the sequence of grabs. However, it theoretically is possible to always regrab the opponent after a DThrow if they can't fall off the stage.

In Melee, I've seen people use DThrow -> turnaround UTilt with Fox versus Jiggs; turnaround UTilt covers standing tech and missed tech while her techrolls are so bad that you still have time to chase her and grab after the UTilt if she techrolls. In PM, it's even easier because momentum is not conserved on techrolls, causing people to techroll much closer to Fox than in Melee. I'm sort of surprised that people haven't been doing DThrow tech traps on platforms with Fox/Falco yet; DThrow -> USmash/FSmash/DSmash/DTilt (for Falco) all seem like very powerful options, especially when you're closer to the ceiling.
If you're close to an edge you can DI towards it and slide of it if you don't tech. Which is the main reason why your Fox/Falco example isn't commonly used. It's very rare to grab someone on a platform with the right spacing where they won't be able to do that.

Top Bottom