• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Charizard Moveset Discussion (Currently: Utilt)

Bomber7

Smash Hero
This is for Onxy: I have a question. Once you are done with all of this data compiling, what are you going to do with it. Even though I have been playing PT for a long time now I dont play people enough to know what move to use and what move not to use and how effective it is against that character. I'm just merely suggesting we put all of this data to use and make a chart and show how effective this or that move is against this or that certain character.

Almost like a match up chart. And you can have summaries of each move and list the characters and give the effectivness ranking (1-10 will be suffice 10 being the best) and then a summary. This is kind of like the "bombing liek a pro" thread on the TL boards. the guy gives a ranking on a character and gives a summary.

I think this is all i wanted to say.... see ya ^^

Onxy

Smash Lord
This is for Onxy: I have a question. Once you are done with all of this data compiling, what are you going to do with it. Even though I have been playing PT for a long time now I dont play people enough to know what move to use and what move not to use and how effective it is against that character. I'm just merely suggesting we put all of this data to use and make a chart and show how effective this or that move is against this or that certain character.

Almost like a match up chart. And you can have summaries of each move and list the characters and give the effectivness ranking (1-10 will be suffice 10 being the best) and then a summary. This is kind of like the "bombing liek a pro" thread on the TL boards. the guy gives a ranking on a character and gives a summary.

I think this is all i wanted to say.... see ya ^^
That is the job of the matchup chart maker. He should list why characters are good against others. That involves mentioning moves that work and don't.

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
Ftilt is just a little too slow for general use in my opinion. Like has been said, you need to predict (Maybe a spot-dodge or something) to land this without getting power-shielded and grabbed.

The one time I have a lot of success with this is hitting people that like to ledge camp. I am almost sure that Ftilt has more range when you angle it down, and the flame sweet-spot travels through land and can easily hit anyone on a ledge.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Ftilt, what do I say about it... It is generally weaker than dtilt, slightly longer ranged, and something more likely to attract a pyro.
Seriously, that is really all about Ftilt.

Caasi11

Smash Cadet
Well, if anyone really cares, the F-Tilt can be angled up and down (as Retro sorta said in his post). Its barely noticeable in a fight, but up close, its easier to see. Its simple really, just slightly move the control stick a little bit up/down when using the F-tilt.

However, you'll just do a U-Tilt or D-tilt if you move the control stick to far up/down. >_>

P.S: This also applies to Squitle, hence why I posted this in Squitle's tactical discussion topic.

Sorry if its old. :dizzy:

zeta

Smash Journeyman
i agree that ftilt is all about the read. check it out i saw this snake was gonna try and abuse his ranged tilt read it and ftilt ftw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZchXWI9VYu4#t=1m

maybe if that wasn't snake it would have been a death blow

also also take note of the di when i get naired i've been practicing it. it happens twice i get naired and di in and dont take the last hit once at the beginning of the vid and once near the end

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZchXWI9VYu4#t=15s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZchXWI9VYu4#t=1m20s

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
That is the job of the matchup chart maker. He should list why characters are good against others. That involves mentioning moves that work and don't.
i don't have time for this. :( after next monday, i'll have a month off of responsibilities though. :)

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Oh, so much better. As we all SHOULD know, Charizard does extremely well when under opponents (except when meteoring), and Utilt is a good example of this. It serves as a fast firing easy way to rack up dmage (just keep spamming Utilt for awhile, like Squirtle's). Real good!

PkTrainerCris

Smash Ace
This move is pretty interesting, its very fast, nice vertical range and KO potential... the problem is that the horizontal range is just bad....

Bestiarius

Smash Ace
Yeah, but do you regularly use an up-tilt for its horizontal range?I find it really useful for juggling on Battlefield. If you are below them and they're on one of the two lower platforms, if you are dead center it seems to pop them up no matter where they are on it, but I could be wrong.

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
at low percent i use utilt to nair a lot, puts people in great followup position. its really nice for late game too when people are afraid of dying and airdodging around, because it comes out so quickly. if someone dodges through me utilt, its fast enough that its not easy to punish and it'll kill so its a good tradeoff.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
i always want to use this move, but then i just end up flicking the c-stick up instead ):

CoonTail

Smash Lord
At this point I have bumped the other two moveset discussions to bring them back. Onyx I am now leaving 3 messages to see if your willing to start these back up.....if not let me know I will take over because we still have not gotten anywhere close to finishing these moveset discussions.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
OK, Utilt (and for that matter, any U attack) is useful for a major asset of Charizard, juggling. Charizard can continue using Utilt to juggle opponents for awhile, and can link to Uair, or even Usmash.

Really, we got to move on. We got enough detail on Utilt already, there isn't a lot to talk about. Can we get to Dtilt now?

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
I love Charizard's Utilt. I personally use this or Uair over Usmash when I know Usmash isn't going to kill, since I like the really early Usmash kills. My Utilt rarely kills because I use it so often. At low percents you can do like two or three of these put together, and then probably follow with some aerial.

This is my favorite Charizard tilt.

Pichu Sensei

Smash Apprentice
I personally don't use uptilt that much. It doesn't have a big hitbox, and upsmash is just better in almost every single way. The only times I use it are when I juggle with infi upairs, then land to use the tilt, but even then, that's at low %'s.

Canvasofgrey

Smash Ace
I rarely find a situation which I use Utilt since I'm usually on the move with Charizard unless I'm Flamthrowing, but I know it's useful properties when called upon. Among his tilts, Charizard's Utilt is probably the 2nd fastest. I think Dtilt is the fastest with ftilt being the slowest in frames, but I'm not sure.

I think the best property of Charizard's Utilt is that it has a withstanding hitbox so opponents my be hit by it even after they they they dodged it. (Much like Rob's Aerials except less-so). And the other good property is that it has lower knockback in comparison to his other moves, which is useful to build damage by comboing. Much like a Utilt --> Usmash.

7.2/10

iRjOn

Smash Lord
Oh I didn't give my thoughts
Sorry

Ehh utilt I rearly use it.
I use dtilts more then utilt.
But utilt is still good. I think is has the 2nd fastest startup like the person above said.
I think all 3 dtilts are faster.

I give it a 6.5/10
:]

iRjOn

Smash Lord
wat? plz explain
The 3 bottom notches each make charizard and him only in the whole game do a different down tilt.
in front of charizard and down makes him use tail whip.
Normal dtilt is bite.
behind and down makes charizard use slash.

He is the only one of the cast with 3 different dtilts.

Idk y lol

I kno his foward dtilt has the flame effect.
Its sweet spot is like back air.
Other than that idk the difference in knockback and such.

I thought this was known
:\
I'll help testing and stuff after I get back from school.

zeta

Smash Journeyman
=] those are his other tilts and jabs coming out =]

slash is just jab

and tail whip is ftilt

=]

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Yeah, no character has multiple d-tilts. Many (including Charizard) have f-tilts that can be angled up or down, and some have f-smashes like this.

Charizard's d-tilt is amazing, but you have to say "SNARF" when you do it. Sweet spot is sweet.

PkTrainerCris

Smash Ace
Any move that involves biting someone in the crotch is a move I approve of.
LOL.. i thought i was the only one who saw charizards dtilt as that
If my charizard gets a low percent kill from dtilt on my friends i say "charizard has just bitten you in the balls!!".. its pretty funny :D
I wanna talk about dtilt :(

Top Bottom