• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters you're terrible as and can't seem to improve with them?

Switch313

Smash Rookie
I haven't played Smash since Brawl, so the way Game and Watch is now (dunno if it's the same as Sm4sh) is really weird to me.

Olimar from the few games I tried him out for was pretty awful for me - I did not understand what his moves were doing. Ness and Lucas have always been a pain to me but at least I can actually recover to the stage now, haha.

Mewtwo is a fun character for me that I am pretty awful with.

D

Deleted member

I just ALWAYS been SHIaTzu at Marth, I can never pay him. I'm bad with his tipper, can't do a SINGLE combo, and I struggle killing with him.

I'm not meant to play Marth.

Marmotbro

Smash Apprentice
Now Ultimate is out: Daisy. Weirdly I'm pretty good with Peach, but the second I pick Daisy I get destroyed...?
That is very odd, the only differences Daisy has from Peach gameplay wise is:

• Daisy's up tilt has more horizontal and vertical range compared to Peach's.
  • Daisy's dash attack has a wider range compared to Peach's.
  • Daisy's Down Smash has slightly less knockback than Peach's.
  • Daisy is visibly (but only slightly) shorter than Peach, as she is in most of the Mario games. This makes her harder to hit vertically.
    • However Daisy's idle having arms held up by her side expand her hurtbox making her easier to hit sideways.
  • Daisy's hurtbox is wider when she runs and when she reverses her running animation.
  • Daisy is shorter than Peach but her jump has the same height. Therefore, her waist will be slightly higher, changing her hurtbox.
Stolen from the wiki.

Idk man, it might be a mental thing.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I guess I'm not bad with Rosalina, but I'm definitely am not good with her. I suck at effectively using Luma, so it ends up dying quickly.
Rosalina is actually just horrible in Ultimate so this is not you.

Even if you perfectly understand how Luma works, he still gets knocked off way too easily because everyone else is so strong now (the 1v1 multiplier doesn't help either) and he has bugs with his A.I. Rosalina also has super buggy hitboxes now. A lot of Ultimate's base mechanics also hurt her a lot.

And that's before getting into the plethora of targeted nerfs she got. As a devout Rosalina fan (not just in Smash but in general), and as someone who found her the most fun character in Smash Wii U/3DS and was at least solid with her (never entered a tournament but a lot of people were begging me to and I did play matches with some tournament players), Rosalina has become one of my least favourite characters to play as in a competitive setting in Ultimate. She's easily the most nerfed character coming from Wii U/3DS IMO, and has just been completely butchered if you ask me. It's not even about her tier placement for me (I think she will be low tier at best in the long run, if she isn't patched), I straight up think they rushed her out the door and they didn't really playtest her. She's not the only character who got neglected on this huge roster, but she's one of the best examples of a neglected character on this roster. Even if you master her, you'll never be consistent with her because of the buggy hitbox issues and buggy Luma A.I.

-----------

Aside from Rosalina, Sonic has a lot of weird changes that I still haven't fully adjusted to. I'm not sure if he's strictly worse but he's very different. Also I just can't play him online, my GSP with him is pitiful. However I played a lot of matches offline as him with my brother and was doing a lot better.

Rosalina and Sonic were my most used characters before so Rosalina being butchered and Sonic taking getting used to has led to me doing a lot of experimentation. I have a weird aptitude for Samus in this game. Weird because I wasn't very good with her in other games.

D

Deleted member

Zero Suit Samus.

I am better with Varia Samus than with her.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Zero Suit Samus.

I am better with Varia Samus than with her.
You mean Samus. Her name is Samus, not Varia Samus. It's like calling Mario Plumber Mario to differentiate him from Dr. Mario.

D

Deleted member

You mean Samus. Her name is Samus, not Varia Samus. It's like calling Mario Plumber Mario to differentiate him from Dr. Mario.
You know what? I like how it sounds.

I will call him Plumber Mario anytime i can.

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
This installment the Belmonts have been super difficult for me to get a handle on. For Simon’s classic route I had to use continues over 5 times, their play style is just so not my thing I guess

R O F L

Smash Ace
I'm not sure how bad I am with the character, but one of their moves, yes.

I love all R.O.B.'s moves except for his gyro. I'm terrible with it and I can't seem to improve. The gyro is solely the reason I don't want to invest too much time into him.

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
Link I know all his moves and hidden techniques, just can’t execute combos what fallow, also can’t seem to kill
Link is definitely harder to use in this game than before. Those crazy combos you see on YouTube and Twitter are awesome looking, and certainly doable, but likely not gonna happen most of the time as none of it takes DI, platforms, or even simple enemy movement into play. Learning when and how to use the remote bomb is the biggest struggle for any Adult Link main in this game. He cant spam bombs like he used to. At least it can kill though.

Oh and btw for trouble killing... hes got a lot of kill moves! Not just that, he's also got one of THE best kits for edgeguarding, its THAT immense. Dont ever be afraid to go offstage with Link, especially now that off stage defense is very much weakened with the new air dodge mechanics. He's easily one of the best edge guards in the game.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I’ve never been as effective with Olimar as I should be. I just can’t get the right feel for him no matter the game, though I do like him the best I ever have in Ultimate... for what that’s worth...

Top Bottom