• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

characters you DON'T want in smash

Status
Not open for further replies.

astilpe

Smash Rookie
so among everyone going nuts cheering for their favorite characters lets talk about whoms't make u angery and really hope they wont make it:100:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Tingle. He's fine in small doses, and all of those doses were used up in Majora's Mask.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Any non-video game character. Beyond that, Steve from Minecraft. Rayman wouldn’t please me a lot either, feel like he doesn’t deserve to be considered on the same level as other mascots.

John Dylan Smith

Banned via Warnings
West Chester Township, Butler County, Ohio
More Fire Emblem reps that use swords (Unless a certain protagonist has a different means of fighting, keep them the heck away from Smash, as this isn't Fire Emblem: The Fighting game)

More Versions Of Mario, Link, Zelda, Pikachu, or other already existing character's in Smash (Just one version Of Link, Mario, ect. is more than enough thank you)

Indie Video Game Character's (Super Meat Boy, Issac From The Binding Of Issac, The Undertale characters, Quote From Cave Story, Shantae, Jaun From Guacamelee, Tim From Braid, A Minecraft Character, The Castle Crashers, The Four Main Girls From Doki Doki Literature Club!, The two main protagonist Of Cuphead)

Actual Video Game Characters Who's game didn't see a release on a single Nintendo console (Kratos From God Of War, Sly Cooper, Nathan Drake, Parappa The Rapper, Cole MacGrath, Ratchet And Clank, Jak And Daxter, Sackboy From Little Big Planet, Sweet Tooth, Anyone From Heavy Rain, Spike From Ape Escape, An Overwatch Character, Isaac Clarke From Dead Space, A Bioshock Character/Protagonist, Dante From Devil May Cry, A Darkstalkers Character, Asura From Asura's Wrath, Master Chief from Halo, Joel And Ellie From The Last Of Us, A Valve video game character such as the Team Fortress 2 Characters Or Chell From Portal, the main heroin of Nier: Automata)

Any Non-Video Game character- Mainly Real Life People such as Reggie Fils Aime, Shigeru Miyamoto, Sakurai himself, Satoru Iwata, James Rolfe/The Angry Video Game Nerd, Jontron/Jon Jafari, The Irate Gamer/Chris Bores, EgoRaptor/Arin Henson, Danny Sexbang, Wizard Or Boomstick From Death Battle, The Nostalgia Critic/Doug Walker, The Mysterious Mr Enter, Movie-Bob/Bob Chipman, SomeCallMeJohnny Or The Rest Of SGB, Linkara/Lewis Lovhuag, Spoony/Noah Antwiler, The Folks At Red Letter Media, Phantom Strider, Stan Lee Or Any Other Comic Book Writers, Snoop Dog, Freddy Mercury, Elvis, Michael Jackson, Weird Al Yankovic, Eminem, Vanilla Ice, Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, Chuck Norris, Jet-Li, Bruce Willis, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Michael Jordan, Lebron James, Magic Johnson, Charles Barkley, Shaquille O Neal, John Cena, Mike Tyson, Muhammad Ali, Donald Tump, Barack Obama, Abraham Lincoln, George Washington, Ben Franklin, Ronald Reagan, George W. Bush, Or Any other American politician, Will Smith, Tim Allen, Darth Vader Or Any Other Star Wars Character, Gandalf The White Or Anyone From The Lord Of The Rings/Hobbit Series, Anyone From Harry Potter, Robocop, The Terminator, Godzilla Or Any Other Japanese Film Kaiju Monsters, Ash Williams From The Evil Dead Series, Freddy Kruger, Jason Voorhees Or Any Other Horror Film Characters, Rocky Balboa, John Rambo, James Bond, The Bride From Kill Bill, Anyone From The Matrix, Bill Nye, Steve And Blue From Blues Clues, Homer Simpson Or Anyone Else From The Simpson's, Peter Griffin Or Anyone Else From Family Guy, Rick And Morty, The Four main characters from South Park, Hank Hill, He-Man Or Skeletor, Anyone From Transformers, Inspector Gadget, The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, The Power Rangers, Team RWBY, Goku Or Anyone Else From Dragon Ball Z, Anyone From Hunter X Hunter, Anyone From Bleach, Anyone From One Piece, Anyone From Naruto, Guts From Berserk, All Might, Izuku Midoriya, Or Anyone Else From My Hero Academia, Any Character From JoJo's Bizzare Adventure, Edward Elric From Fullmetal Alchemist, Saitama From One Punch Man, Anyone from Sailor Moon, Anyone From Fairy Tail, Panty And Stocking, Kermit The Frog Or Any Of The Muppets, Shrek, Anyone From My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, Spongebob Squarepants Or Any Other Characters From Spongebob, Team Avatar From Avatar: The Last Airbender, Danny Phantom, Jenny Wakeman From My Life As A Teenage Robot, Zim From Invader Zim, Jimmy Neutron, Timmy Turner Or Anyone Else From The Fairly Odd Parents, Drake Bell And Josh Peck, Samurai Jack, Dexter From Dexter's Laboratory, Johnny Bravo, The Ed's From Ed, Edd, N Eddy, The Power Puff Girls, Jake And Finn, Mordecai And Rigby From Regular Show, Steven Or The Crystal Gems From Steven Universe, The Teen Titans, Superman, Batman, The Flash, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Or Any other DC Hero/Villain, Spider-Man, Iron Man, The Hulk, Captain America, Thor, Or Any Other Marvel Hero/Villain, Mickey Mouse, Goofy, Donald Duck, Or Any other Disney film/TV Protagonist/Villains/Supporting Character's, Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck Or Any Other Looney Tunes Character's (If you guys/gals want to have these people/characters in Smash, Just simply make some Mii Fighter's out them)

Medli, Tingle, Fi From Skyward Sword (There better off as Assist Trophies)

Cranky Kong (Same Deal with Tingle And Fi, works better as an assist trophy)

Gooey or The Marx (Both are From The Kirby Series)

Goombella, King Boo, Toad, Kamek, And Pauline

Isabella Or Tom Nook (One's Featured In A Final Smash and one is an Assist Trophy)

Other Pikmin Astronauts (Unless They have abilities that different from Olimar, I don't see them having a place on the Smash roster

Adam Or Any Other Character From Metroid: Other M (With Possibly Anthony being the only exception)

Andross

Starfy (He's better off as an assist trophy)

Doc Louis (He works better as a cameo)

Ninten (He'd be another Ness clone unless the developers are actually willing to do something different with his move-set and there are other character's from the Mother series that have more potential to be in Smash 5 than him)!

Dr. Kawashima (He works better as an Assist Trophy)!

The Rabbids (I would rather have Rayman be in the game as opposed to those annoying Minion ripoffs)!

A Generic Call Of Duty Soldier Or Any First Person Shooter Character/Protagonist (The Only First Person Shooter Character I Could See Working In Smash Bros Ultimate Is The Doom Marine From Doom)!

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
None, it's a ****ing celebration of games and if it somehow expands to a celebration of culture in general then I'm all for it. I'll play Ray Romano vs Jarred Leto's Joker vs SAO's Kirito vs Baby Mario's left knee if it's still a fun game to play because I can understand that there's some measure of value to any of those, even if it's to record how bad they are, or how wacky and stupid it is to have them fight.

The only ones that I'm less happy about are the needlessly fanservicey' boobs with a character tacked on', but even then I can avoid using them and feel extra satisfaction to stomp the nerds who use them :p. After all it's not Sakurai's fault that they were designed that way and if they're in the game then there's gotta be somebody who supported them regardless of design.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
This thread is gonna be chaotic as hell.

I would have to say Mipha is one, or pretty much any of the champions from Breath of the Wild.

Anything else... well I am not the biggest fan of indies in smash, I feel they do not meet the pedigree I would expect for a third party. But I’m not completely against it.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I'm not really invested in character speculation, and since 3 of my most hated characters in video game history are already in Smash, there really isn't one I don't want in...

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Are threads like this allowed?

Err...I guess Geno?

Like don't get me wrong I know he has a fanbase but Geno before Toad, Waluigi and Daisy the reoccurring cast feels weird and niche. Hell Rosalina getting in before that lot and Jr felt weird.

However once the core cast are in? Go nuts. Get Geno, Mallow and Fawful in. I genuinely don't care then.

Just feels like adding Ribbon or Adeline before Bandana Waddle Dee to me.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Are threads like this allowed?

Err...I guess Geno?

Like don't get me wrong I know he has a fanbase but Geno before Toad, Waluigi and Daisy the reoccurring cast feels weird and niche. Hell Rosalina getting in before that lot and Jr felt weird.

However once the core cast are in? Go nuts. Get Geno, Mallow and Fawful in. I genuinely don't care then.

Just feels like adding Ribbon or Adeline before Bandana Waddle Dee to me.
I can get Toad but Waluigi and Daisy? I'd be really downed if we had to finish spin-offs cast to get to interesting characters.

Tonydrake

Smash Apprentice
Tingle. I hate Tingle and I'll always hate him

He's the only one I'm totally against

ZagarTulip

Smash Journeyman
2 answers right now:

Toad: Toad is already a move for Peach and that is extremely unlikely to change imo. and it'd look weird if you were playing as Toad while Peach pulls out Toad.

Captain Toad: I just don't find it all that appealing for some reason.

PixelSun

Smash Apprentice
I don't want Simon Belmont or any Castlevania character, I don't like their edgy artstyle

Spatman

Smash Ace
I say Tingle too, and then Bandana Dee

then there are characters whose inclusion I'd dislike, but not hate and much depends on how they will be made.
For example Daisy, Chibi Robo, Decidueye (this one because I don't consider it a very interesting addition and there are pokèmon I'd prefer in my whole life)

oh, and I'd HATE other completely stupid joke choices (similar to Tingle) who are unexpectedly supported by someone in some forums, like hanafuda man (???) and a character of style savvy.

Moreover I would be conceptually quite against some indie characters but I feel that at the end they could be funny to play as. THe only one I would be absolutely against is Steve from Minecraft.

Lastly, if a Rhythm Heaven characters will be in, it MUST be Chorus Men. And of course, no more tons of new FE characters, especially if they have to be all swordfighters (and no, a Spear wouldn't be a really different and appealing weapon!)

ps: I didn't even consider not videogame characters: they don't exist.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Your favorite character, and yes, I'm talking to YOU, person reading this right now.

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
None, it's a ****ing celebration of games and if it somehow expands to a celebration of culture in general then I'm all for it. I'll play Ray Romano vs Jarred Leto's Joker vs SAO's Kirito vs Baby Mario's left knee if it's still a fun game to play because I can understand that there's some measure of value to any of those, even if it's to record how bad they are, or how wacky and stupid it is to have them fight.

The only ones that I'm less happy about are the needlessly fanservicey' boobs with a character tacked on', but even then I can avoid using them and feel extra satisfaction to stomp the nerds who use them :p. After all it's not Sakurai's fault that they were designed that way and if they're in the game then there's gotta be somebody who supported them regardless of design.
Yes! I really like this mentality here. I hate it when people act as if smash is some sort of high profile, VIP invite only club, when, in my mind, it's more of a potluck: people can just show up unanounced and unexpected, but the more the merrier at the end of the day.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
uh lets see mewtwo, snake that so called winner of the ballot, pitoo, corrin

wait a minute

Drawcia

Smash Apprentice
Waluigi~ I really don’t like Waluigi. His whole concept and thing just never worked for me, and I’d honestly hate to see him in Smash.

Marx~ Marx feels like possibly the most overrated Kirby character to me, and seeing him before other characters like Bandana Dee is just really unappealing to me.

Ridley~ I’m currently on the “Ridley is too big and/or won’t work in Smash” boat. It’s hard to explain, but it feels wrong to put him in?

Botw Champions~ The Champions feel like, “if you have one, you need them all” characters to me. They don’t have enough to constitute a place in Smash, and in the game they originated from they’re already dead. I don’t see why people want them tbh

D

Deleted member

I dont want Bayo, but with Bayonetta 3 coming soon, and the fact that she has gained such popularity, i doubt she will be cut...

Last edited by a moderator:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I don't want Bayonetta either. I don't want characters whose characterization is focused too much on sex or violence. While it's true that characters die in Fire Emblem, etc., it's not as if the player goes around shooting people in the head. There are Fire Emblem characters who I wouldn't want in Smash for the above reasons, though. This is also why I don't want Snake in Smash, besides his general aesthetic kind of clashing with the other fighters.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Your favorite character, and yes, I'm talking to YOU, person reading this right now.
You. Yes you reading this. Your main needs to go.
Man I'm going to have to change my user name if you two ever team up. I'm going to just be referred to as "And" at this rate.

I can get Toad but Waluigi and Daisy? I'd be really downed if we had to finish spin-offs cast to get to interesting characters.
Ok, in all fairness I'm not sure both Waluigi and Daisy need to first, but considering what a big draw the Spinoff games are I feel one of them should get in first.

Now if you add Geno and Mallow to the spinoff games to bring them back from the dead first however...

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
If we're only talking about characters who aren't in the game; Takamaru, Geno, Ice Climbers, and anyone from Fire Emblem except Lyn.

I thought that list would be a lot longer, tbh.

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
Geno.

Like, I get he has fans, but Smash is not the place for him. He's a one-off partner from an obscure old RPG. It's like adding Goombella from TTYD, who actually has more merit being from a more popular and newer game, And Geno's also third party to boot which adds so many more hoops for Sakurai to jump through to even add him. It just seems like a lot for an obscure character the general public has no clue about.

nuclearneo577

Smash Journeyman
At this point I'm more invested in crazy third party characters (Master Chief sounds possible this time, which I love but don't want to get my hopes up over), but there are a few plausible choices that I'm opposed to, although not to a very large degree since a lot of my hopes are for characters with somewhat slim chances;
Pichu, Ivysaur and Squirtle returning: All forms of Gen 1 overkill drive me up a wall, I didn't mind 4 having Charizard and Mewtwo though because they're iconic enough to hold their own, but Nintendo needs to stop pandering to Gen 1 elitists in general when it comes to Pokémon.
Young Link returning: Toon Link is a much better Link clone and helps to represent several more Zelda games that the other characters from the franchise don't. How disputed is my take on this even?
Dark Pit: Ah Dark Pit, the singular playable character from a game after Melee who I feel like was a legit waste of a slot. Dr. Mario at least has a different special move from Mario, Dark Pit is just a complete waste.
Tingle: Because he's Tingle, I see no need to elaborate further.
Krystal: I do not want to talk about this on a public forum, just bring Wolf back. The odds seem a bit slim nowadays anyway.
Toad or Captain Toad: Maybe this is just because I'm not that big of a fan of Mario, but I don't want to see a playable Toad for some reason.
Steve from Minecraft: A Minecraft stage sounds really cool, but no Steve please. He would be too similar to the Animal Crossing Villager anyway.

Massively unpopular opinion time, nobody new from Fire Emblem: Seriously, there were 6 characters in Smash 4, this is reaching infestation levels for a franchise that really isn't that big compared to how much it's represented in Smash, which is made worse by the fact that half of them are one character and two clones of him.

Last edited:

SirCamp

Smash Ace
I'm the opposite of everyone else apparently. I actively want Tingle. And I actively don't want Snake to come back.

Fite me. ;)

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Anymore Generation I Pokemon. Like, GF has gone so overboard with pandering to Generation I now. It needs to stop, and that includes Smash. I'm okay with the current Pokemon returning because they all have unique movesets... But no further Generation I Pokemon should be playable, ever.

Otherwise, I think the one character I didn't really want to see is the only new character we have confirmed thus far. I don't like the Inklings. I think they are an abomination design-wise. I will concede that at this point they were pretty much inevitable (two games in the series, now) and will be happy with the fact that they never made it into SSB4.

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
Anymore Generation I Pokemon. Like, GF has gone so overboard with pandering to Generation I now. It needs to stop, and that includes Smash. I'm okay with the current Pokemon returning because they all have unique movesets... But no further Generation I Pokemon should be playable, ever.

Otherwise, I think the one character I didn't really want to see is the only new character we have confirmed thus far. I don't like the Inklings. I think they are an abomination design-wise. I will concede that at this point they were pretty much inevitable (two games in the series, now) and will be happy with the fact that they never made it into SSB4.
Wow, this really is an unpopular opinion. This is the first time I've seen anyone not want Inkling so congrats on that I guess!

Anyway, yeah, there really isn't a single character that I actively don't want. Really, the only thing that would upset me is Fire Emblem ever getting equal or above Mario, Pokémon, and Zelda again. Objectively, FE is just soooo much less important and iconic than the other three series. I still don't want any of the current FE characters cut, but it's time that Zelda finally gets some characters. I would honestly be fine if FE didn't get any new character for the next several installments and let the series that are actually deserving of newcomers get some first. At least, that's just me!

Granite Countertop

Smash Rookie
I'm not huge on third parties taking over Smash. ("Taking over" is a bit of an exaggeration but you get my point). I'm not huge on the Rayman idea, but I would prefer him over Banjo-Kazooie. Also:

-Another new FE character (unless the character is DLC and other FE characters are cut).
-Toad/Captain Toad
-Sans
-Any of The Champions. BotW is great so I am not against the idea itself. No reason for Sakurai to risk upsetting fans of whoever isn't picked though.

K. Rool is a "dishonorable mention". I don't have an issue with him. I just would rather have Dixie or Funky. If K. Rool is picked instead, that's cool too.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
This one is conditional. I'm fine with Mimikyu on its own, but if it takes after its anime incarnation personality-wise it should stay the hell away.

Banjo is another one. He's basically a washed-up has-been on par with Croc, Ty, and Bubsy at this point. Even Geno makes more sense.

And though he's not near these two yet, K. Rool is getting close to that point. I love K. Rool, but man, he probably has one of the most unpleasant over all support bases of any character. Ballot era and beyond was a nightmare and almost made me wish he'd never get in just to keep salty whiners from being rewarded. Still though, he has a lot of chill supporters and some small part of me would still like to see him. He's definitely not my most wanted DK newcomer anymore though. At this point he's probably behind Dixie, Funky, AND Cranky.

astilpe

Smash Rookie
SORA: everything Disney touches becomes cancer and i really dislike that weeb big shoes design. No thanks pls
RIDLEY: he is too big makes no sense if rescaled would look like an anorexic charizard or a bird with a stickbug's body i feel that people who want ridley in have never played metroid in their life
PAPER MARIO: we already have green mario, dr mario, mario how many marios you need, why not rawk hawk?
IMPA: great another sheik clone

and dont make me talk about indie characters

EDIT: mimikyu: are people serious ???????

Last edited:

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
Not popular opinions but Waluigi, K. Rool, Tingle, and Minecraft Steve. However, if they do get in, I'll forever argue they should stay and be returning characters henceforth. Once a Smash fighter, always a Smash fighter.

Last edited:

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
Not popular opinions but Waluigi, K. Rool, Tingle, and Minecraft Steve. However, if they do get in, I'll forever argue they should stay and be returning characters henceforth. Once a Smash fighter, always a Smash fighter.
YES!!! Thank you so much I feel the exact same way! I will argue til the day I die that once a character makes it in Smash, regardless of if I like them or not, they should, no matter what, always return so long as legal issues aren't a problem.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I'll be pissed if Bandana Dee gets in and a humanoid spear fighter doesn't.

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
And though he's not near these two yet, K. Rool is getting close to that point. I love K. Rool, but man, he probably has one of the most unpleasant over all support bases of any character. Ballot era and beyond was a nightmare and almost made me wish he'd never get in just to keep salty whiners from being rewarded.
This is exactly why I don't want Takamaru or Geno (aside from the fact that they're both one-hit wonders), and why I was so anti-Ridley during Smash 4's pre-release hype period.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I don't want Waluigi. He really hasn't earned his spot. If Nintendo ever actually does anything with him sure put him until then AT is where he should stay. I don't want to see 3rd parties outside of Banjo, Sora, or Snake in Smash. I just don't really care for any 3rd parties outside those 3 and I especially don't want Minecraft or Skyrim characters in Smash. No Impa, Tingle, or one-off Zelda characters. I love the Zelda roster as it is and wouldn't want it to change except for Vaati. Also don't really want Elma since X was my least favorite Xeno game. I don't want Isabella because she would make me feel bad when I beat the crap out of her. And finally, I don't want Daisy or Dixie as I just find them boring choices.

Banjo is another one. He's basically a washed-up has-been on par with Croc, Ty, and Bubsy at this point. Even Geno makes more sense.
It's fine you don't want him but I'm curious as to why you say Geno makes more sense.

Last edited:

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
I will never for the love of me understand how people could want Daisy and Waluigi over either other, more central spin-off characters (e.g. Paper Mario, Kamek, King Boo) or just more historical characters (e.g. Toad/Toadsworth/Captain Toad/Toadette, Birdo). All more active/present in their respective games and found in games other than just the party/sports games.

(And it goes without saying that if you really want Waluigi and Daisy, please don't feel disheartened haha Your wants are valid)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom