• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters that have Fallen off the Desire Radar

Status
Not open for further replies.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
There are plenty of celebrations of Balloon Fighter, most notably for playing music in Wario D.I.Y. Showcase.
Being a Virtual Console game plenty of times in the both the 3DS and Wii U eShop.
And also the Nintendoland minigame. :p
It is saying something when despite getting all that, he still isn't as popular as Takamaru.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
No no no, I mean that ever since the others have appeared, the old IP's (Starfy, Ray, etc) have downed in popularity.

I was just a little confused by the fact that Mac and Shulk were there. I haven't seen their popularity down, like I said, considering they appear on everything (and rightly so).

Poor Starfy. I always felt he wasn't going to make it anyway. Don't shoot! He still could!

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
That makes no sense, compared to the Japan only franchise (for now) in general.
I don't get your point.

Are you saying that just because Balloon Fighter got a worldwide release, he is more popular?

If that's the case,

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Eh, I kinda can see his point in some ways. There's not much to say asides from some characters that have decreased in popularity, and even then, a lot of them still have importance and other things that give them merits or were unfortunately better for another point in time.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Anyone remember the Black Knight and Caeda support?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Back in the summer of 2011, Black Knight support was everywhere on this forum.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
The game is called Balloon Fight, not Balloon Fighter. It's an honest mistake, but I see it a lot. I do support the Balloon Fighter as a playable character. His popularity has decreased as Takamaru's (and Mach Rider's) has risen, however.

Anyway, as soon as I saw the thread title, Custom Robo's Ray immediately came to mind. I think he may be the definitive answer to the question. His support was insanely high pre- and immediately post-Brawl, and I remember many people were legitimately surprised that Custom Robo got no playable representation. Custom Robo was once heralded by many as one of the most deserving new IPs to include, but now, Ray's support is hardly a blip on the radar. Andy seems to have gone through a similar, but less pronounced, sort of situation.

Micaiah was really popular (at least among internet-lurking fans) post-Brawl as well. She was the definitive "female Fire Emblem rep", if the also popular Lyn wasn't, but neither have near the support that Lucina does. I'm sure Lucina will end up like them if she's not included this time around. Black Knight was also popular, but now you hardly hear about him.

Paper Mario was a pretty big contender, but now he's in direct competition with Bowser Jr., Waluigi, and Toad. Sticker Star may have turned more people away from him than toward him. The Daisy and Rosalina trains have also seemed to make a stop. I suppose it doesn't help much that Rosalina was relegated to nothing but cameo appearances after her first appearance in Galaxy (which had been the only game she'd appeared in before Brawl came out).

Midna and/or Wolf Link and Zant were big bandwagon characters in the days leading up to and lingering after Brawl's release. Everyone seems to have forgotten about them, and now Ghirahim is the big flavor of the month (and even now, I'm seeing much less support for him than I did a year ago). Skull Kid also took a big drop in popularity, as did Vaati and Mask Link, the latter to a lesser, but still noticeable, extent.

Sylux used to be pretty popular as a Metroid newcomer, alongside Dark Samus. Neither was ever very popular when compared to Ridley, but they have seemingly less support now, especially Sylux.

Krystal support has faded a bit, but she probably still has more supporters than anyone else here.

I still distinctly remember that Plusle and Minun had quite a bit of support even years after Brawl came out. Deoxys, however, seemed to lose almost all of its support after it was revealed to be a Pokeball summon. Meowth was pretty big for a while, and Blaziken had support for years, and I've only noticed a decline rather recently. Zoroark, I think, was more expected than supported, but Victini had a strong minority support. Genesect support was pretty big for a short amount of time, but even it seems to be trailing in popularity, and its movie isn't even out yet. To me, the rapid adoption and abandonment of possible Pokemon newcomers goes far in illustrating why none of them are very likely.

It seems to me that the desire for an Animal Crossing character has sort of petered out at this point. In the first few years after Brawl's release, infuriated fans would defend a playable representative with fervent truculence. Nowadays, I rarely see AC characters on people's speculative rosters. I've noticed a similar trend with Miis, but I'd chalk up at least some of their "support" to expectedness.

Sukapon support was never very widespread, but it seems even more confined now. I've noticed a slight decline in Isaac support as well. During the Brawl release hype, I remember people claiming that Isaac, along with Ridley, were the most surprising and upsetting exclusions. Now, I'll occasionally see a roster without Isaac on it.

Starfy was unpopular, then became pretty popular, then went back to being unpopular again. At least in the West. He seems pretty well-liked in Japan.

I never really understood where Saki's support came from, or where it went to. It seems to occasionally rebound from time to time, only to decline again.

For the first time since the pre-Brawl years, people have actually stopped clamoring for Megaman to some extent. That being said, I'm not sure how much of that is simply expectation rather than desire, given Capcom's recent developments. Bomberman has greatly dwindled in support; he was almost considered a shoo-in for Brawl by some people. Now, hardly anyone even considers him.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Didn't Gardevoir end up in the dumps after Brawl as well? I stopped my supports for it after the Brawl hype ended.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
There's been a lot of characters that had supports that has either fizzled out since Brawl or has quickly sprung up, only to fall again.

These are the ones I know

Geno
I think people realized that Nintendo wasn't willing to do long negotiation for such a cult character

Impa (Skyward Sword)
I haven't played Skyward Sword that far so I have no clue

Meloetta
As a legendary Pokemon that was roughly human shaped and had a transformation gimmick with an emphasis on fighting it got some support. But with Gen 6 so close it's looking less likely.

What other ones can you remember?

If you have no clue, why bother post about Impa? :smirk:

Her support hasn't died out. Her opposition is just being Nazi about her.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Yeah... Her fanbase was scary, to say the least, but that ended quickly after Brawl was released.
Gardevoir is pretty much dead, and considering the "support", it's for the best.
When one person says Gardevoir's fanbase was scary combined with another stating that it being gone is for the best, I shudder to think on whatever terrors they could mean... (o.o);

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
When one person says Gardevoir's fanbase was scary combined with another stating that it being gone is for the best, I shudder to think on whatever terrors they could mean... (o.o);
Image search Gardevoir and you'll get it. I wouldn't recommend doing such though without a big old jug of brain bleach. :smirk:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
You know how people say those Lyn fanboys were crazy for the ones saying "Lyn not being playable is worse than 9/11"?

It's more scary than that. Actually, hell, Sonic's support wasn't even anywhere near as terrifying. To be honest, they were just annoying instead of "Supportive"

D

Deleted member

In order to have "died down", a fanbase needs to have been large and significant at some point in the first place.
So no, Impa should not even be on this list.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If this thread is gonna get locked anyway:

I WANT YOU ALL TO REMEMBER THE FACE!!!

Of your future main in Smash Bros. :reverse:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Image search Gardevoir and you'll get it. I wouldn't recommend doing such though without a big old jug of brain bleach. :smirk:
You know how people say those Lyn fanboys were crazy for the ones saying "Lyn not being playable is worse than 9/11"?

It's more scary than that. Actually, hell, Sonic's support wasn't even anywhere near as terrifying. To be honest, they were just annoying instead of "Supportive"
Okay... I think I got it...

Better not look into this further, lest I regret making such decision...

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
People were fantasizing about what they would do with a captured Gardevoir, and it pretty much plunged into twisted sex fantasies.

There, now enjoy your regrets.
When Thirdkoopa stated the fanbase was scary, I considered twisted sex fantasies as a possible reason, because that is what usually makes fanbases scary.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
People were fantasizing about what they would do with a captured Gardevoir, and it pretty much plunged into twisted sex fantasies.

There, now enjoy your regrets.
I remember one guy around saying that if Gardevoir were in Brawl as playable, he/she would do so many pictures in deranged positions and fantasized.

More regrets.
When Thirdkoopa stated the fanbase was scary, I considered twisted sex fantasies as a possible reason, because that is what usually makes fanbases scary.

What's funny with Brawl is that the fanbases that weren't scary were just funny. I think a bunch of laughs were generated with Samurai Goroh. I remember one other confirmation brought the "I just got off the phone with Sakurai" jokes.

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
I think Roy's popularity has contracted a little bit, in the sense that it's not as widespread as it was. Obviously there are still a good number of people who really want him back, but it seems like a lot of people just don't have the energy to make a fuss about him anymore, especially with so many similar and arguably more current characters going around.

Seems like nobody's talking about Tetra either, unless they're ludicrously trying to pair her with "Toon Zelda."

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Dixie support is also too quiet. As is any potential F-Zero newcomer's. Krystal, Midna, Dark Samus- also good examples of pretty dried up fanbases.

Impa everliving baby!!

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
Dixie support is also too quiet. As is any potential F-Zero newcomer's. Krystal, Midna, Dark Samus- also good examples of pretty dried up fanbases.

Impa everliving baby!!

I think its because they realize that a side character like Krystal doesn't stand a chance in hell. Sakurai's criteria for characters in this game really shut people up on some choices

D

Deleted member

For the first time since the pre-Brawl years, people have actually stopped clamoring for Megaman to some extent. That being said, I'm not sure how much of that is simply expectation rather than desire, given Capcom's recent developments.
People may have become more pessimistic, but that has not hurt support in the slightest. If anything, support for Mega Man has only continued to increased due to the "life support" effect. He's probably the most wanted newcomer (not counting Mewtwo).

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
People may have become more pessimistic, but that has not hurt support in the slightest. If anything, support for Mega Man has only continued to increased due to the "life support" effect. He's probably the most wanted newcomer (not counting Mewtwo).
I'm not doubting this in the least. I have seen Megaman on less speculative rosters recently, however. Once again, I attribute that to pessimism rather than true desire (or rather, lack thereof).

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Cant think of any examples particularly, but the moment a character shows up in smash bros their popularity will be back at its height regardless of where it is now.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Wariofan1 pretty much summed up my thoughts.

Geno is the main one. But his wasn't just a mere fall. It was an enormous skydive.... from star road.
He was always at the very top of the page pre-brawl and had by far the longest thread of any character if I'm not mistaken. #4 most requested character according to polls.
All of a sudden this time around you only hear his name used as an example when talking about other characters.

I think it's largely down to his support being relatively older. The ones old enough to have played his game are now in their mid twenties or later and have less of a presence on this board.

Krystal was the next one that came to mind. I never wanted her but she was huge pre-brawl.

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
Victini and Masked Link for sure. I was an advocate for both but the reveal of X&Y, Wind Waker HD, and A Link to the Past killed them off. Although the gamble for a Majora's Mask remake wasn't the most likely anyways.

Wegenbarth

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3609-1252-6127
Looking back at Brawl, mainly Krystal and Vaati where for me the charas who feel of the

List.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I would say the Bowser Jr. Shadow Mario combo fell off the desire list. Along with Fawful.

DESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESU

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I'd definitely say the F-Zero noise has died down quite a bit as well as any 5th gen and many of the assist trophies barring Isaac and Little Mac. Also, any retro not named Takamaru has been overshadowed the past months. Ghirahim hype has also died down since the two Nintendo conferences announcing the 2 new Zelda games and WW remake. I'm actually seeing a lot more people putting Toon Zelda/Tetra on their list. 5th Gen trainer is now all but absent with the new generations and 5th Gen Pokemon in general are losing hype to Mewtwo as well as a possible new Pokemon rep.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Lyn's support has largely died down. :/

But seeing that she is still in the top 25 in Shortie's poll, I'm a bit hopeful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom