• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters that have Fallen off the Desire Radar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
There's been a lot of characters that had supports that has either fizzled out since Brawl or has quickly sprung up, only to fall again.

These are the ones I know

Geno
I think people realized that Nintendo wasn't willing to do long negotiation for such a cult character

Impa (Skyward Sword)
I haven't played Skyward Sword that far so I have no clue

Meloetta
As a legendary Pokemon that was roughly human shaped and had a transformation gimmick with an emphasis on fighting it got some support. But with Gen 6 so close it's looking less likely.

Dark Samus
She/it was popular on the heels of the Prime Series but with her/its death in Prime 3, the sneaking suspicion that the Japanese Branch of Nintendo considers Prime to be non-canon and the fear that she/it'd be antoher clone have seen support drop.

Midna/Wolf Link

Very popular after Twilight Princesses release, and even more popular to those who finished the game if you know what I mean, with her fadign from the public consciousness less people want Minda, either by herself or with Wolf Link in tow, in the cast.

What other ones can you remember?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I know people are going to mention her first thing so I might as well do it first in order to soften the blow. Medusa.

Even though I still support her alongside Palutena... ;_;

And any 5th gen pokemon support has pretty much dwindled since 6th gen has come along I guess... :/

Even though I also still support Zoroark...

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Krystal, Dark Samus? Granted, some still want them too, but they just have a small cult following now compared to before.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Geno is of course the main example, I'm pretty shocked at how low his support has fallen compared to how big his support was pre-Brawl. Some places he was by far the most wanted character, but of course reality had to hit.

The other two which had big time support but have fallen are Masked Man and Krystal.

Not so much Krystal, she still has a fair amount of supporters, but it has fallen since pre-Brawl. Though she isn't "off the Desire Radar," she's certainly less anticipated than she used to be.

As for Masked Man, while he never had an enormous fan-following, it was still noticeable among more popular characters back in the days. I think people realized that Mother's chances of getting a 3rd rep is minimal though, especially considering the franchise has most likely come to an end, and thus he has been sidelined.

The only characters I think that have kept their anticipation on the same level are Ridley and Mega Man, where as K. Rool's popularity has actually grown since the pre-Brawl days.

Mind you I wasn't at this forum back then, I was at Brawl Central, so that's where I'm getting my comparisons from.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I know people are going to mention her first thing so I might as well do it first in order to soften the blow. Medusa.

Even though I still support her alongside Palutena... ;_;

And any 5th gen pokemon support has pretty much dwindled since 6th gen has come along I guess... :/

Even though I also still support Zoroark...
Are you kidding, Charizard was in Brawl, regardless of the generation.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Gen 1 usually gets special treatment when it comes to smash though. I don't really like the whole gen thing either though. I would still love to see Deoxys playable in smash but his support is nearly nonexistant now. :/

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Charizard is more or less a special case though. The current generation's popularity always comes and go, Pokémon like Scizor and Blaziken aren't half as popular as they were when their generations were current. Lucario has had some staying power though. Anyways, Pokémon Trainer had the excuse that 1st gen was remade, and Charizard is by far the most loved Pokémon by the fanbase, it'd be a crime to not have Charizard playable in some form.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Zoroark, I should say. His chances and requests took a plunge with the arrival of Gen VI.

EDIT: I sense the temperature rising already.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Geno, really. I think reality hit all of us in the faces with that. Most of them went to the Bowser Jr/Geno bandwagons. Lyn as well.

I think any representative of Gen 5

Masked Man and Krystal have been hit a bit, but I wouldn't say all that much. It's just that I think fans are not edging on a 3rd or 4th Mother or SF character, at least just yet. Frankly if it wasn't for that, I'd see them mostly at the same popularity.

Not many others have been hit that much. It's actually really weird seeing how close to similar these rosters are to the stuff back in 2011 and even before Brawl.

Isaac, K. Rool, Ridley, and Mega-Man are the only ones with even a similar amount of support this time around. Everything else has either declined or stayed normally at a safe sweet spot.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Knuckle Joe fell hard and fast, he was once the fourth man out for Kirby series.

Krystal hasn't fallen but is declining.

A lot of retros like Balloon Fighter, Sukapon, etc. have seen a plunge in popularity.

Third Party support isn't as insane as in last game.

Funny thing is, I think some of these characters could sneak in.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Knuckle Joe fell hard and fast, he was once the fourth man out for Kirby series.

Krystal hasn't fallen but is declining.

A lot of retros like Balloon Fighter, Sukapon, etc. have seen a plunge in popularity.

Third Party support isn't as insane as in last game.

Funny thing is, I think some of these characters could sneak in.
Um, Nintendoland had a Balloon Fighter minigame.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Yea this is about popularity for Smash. Balloon Fighter still doesn't have the popularity of say Little Mac or Takamaru.

volbound1700

Smash Master
It is funny how Knuckle Joe was most people's Smash 4 guess around the announcement for Kirby and how Waddle Dee/Bandana Dee just totally took his spot.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Damn popularity contests!!!!!

Well, in a way it's kind of how the game is played for most of the characters. There is still darkhorse candidate picks, so people should never give up hope though!

Oh, and as for the topic itself, if they haven't been mentioned:

Zoroark ( I honestly don't know. But I'm pretty sure it was Gen 6) Still hoping.
Victini (BIG one here) - Gen 6 and the 100 stats all around Mew Pokemon are always Pokeballs.
Genesect - Gen 6.
Impa - Nobody wants Sheik to leave.
Ghirahim (I still see support for 'ol Ghira, but not as much. Still rootin' for you, buddy!) - Zant/Midna/Skull Kid syndrome.
Masked Man (Same with Ghirahim, but less) - I don't know, but I think Mother is viewed as not needing anymore reps.

@BluePikmin - Takamaru, once a relatively (extremely) unknown aspect of Nintendo history has had a recent bump in popularity for a number of reasons.

- Nintendoland featured a game, in the ENGLISH verion with his name and character costume for the Mii to wear playing the game.

- Samurai Warriors 3 had an English edition, that I believe had Takamaru in it as a bonus character (Wii game)

- He's a generally aesthetically-pleasing character, being, well, a traditional Samurai with Ninja elements. Like I said, people are going to go "OMFG YOU GUYS! It's SAMURAI JACK!" if they didn't know about him before.

- He would bring in an Asian-style theme that is sorely lacking in Smash and are generally well-received.

- He seems less ridiculous to people, in my research experience (Believe me, I've talked to alooooot of people about their roster predictions. It's like my party trick.) and they're always like "Balloon Fighter? Why? That Samurai sounds cool though!)

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I don't recall Balloon Fighter ever having a large amount of popularity anyway.

In addition to the those already mentioned, characters like Midna, Vaati, Ray, and an AC character have also greatly decreased in demand since Brawl.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I was personally hoping to see Spyro in the next Smash, but that changed when Skylanders came out. I wouldn't know about the current status for other characters though, as I've only been around the Smash Community for a few months.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Make sure you give the possible reasons so I can add them to the OP

volbound1700

Smash Master
I remember Vaati and Midna/Wolf Link had huge support in Brawl era. Both would have been awesome characters.

Duck Hunt Dog had more popularity in Brawl era than this era.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Where did the support come from :p
Probably from the appearance of the mini-game in Nintendo Land, among other things.

While this would seem to help Balloon Fighter, Balloon Fighter hasn't seen the same amount of popularity for Smash. Probably based off of the fact that Sakurai already mentioned something about him not working.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Where did the support come from :p

I talked a bit about that in my post up above; I think part of it is that he's an aesthetically-pleasing character and concept on a general level.

Long and short: Samurai's are cool :shades:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
It's funny because Takamaru's game is actually... pretty bad. (Well not all that bad. I might be stretching myself because most NES games haven't aged well) Granted, he could get a series revival, but a could doesn't mean a will.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I think every new IP asides from Isaac has fallen under the radar, especially with Little Mac, Isa (Who even him and Saki have downgraded in popularity, wat), Shulk, and Dillon

Wait, Little Mac and Shulk under the radar? But I see them on literally every roster pic. I think people just don't *talk* about them as much. Isa and Matthew never had support unless your name is DragonSniperNintendo.

It's funny because Takamaru's game is actually... pretty bad. (Well not all that bad. I might be stretching myself because most NES games haven't aged well) Granted, he could get a series revival, but a could doesn't mean a will.

That's kind of how I feel about the Ice Climbers, except, unlike Takamaru, I don't want them to have a series revival. Personal preference I guess.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Probably from the appearance of the mini-game in Nintendo Land, among other things.

While this would seem to help Balloon Fighter, Balloon Fighter hasn't seen the same amount of popularity for Smash. Probably based off of the fact that Sakurai already mentioned something about him not working.
There are plenty of celebrations of Balloon Fighter, most notably for playing music in Wario D.I.Y. Showcase.
Being a Virtual Console game plenty of times in the both the 3DS and Wii U eShop.
And also the Nintendoland minigame. :p

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Make sure you give the possible reasons so I can add them to the OP
Midna: Didn't get in for Brawl when it was her best chance, now is extremely unlikely, people realized that
Vaati: Also didn't get in for Brawl, hasn't had any appearances since, Ghirahim took part of his popularity
Ray: No new Custom Robo games, other unrepresented series surpassed him in likelihood
AC Character: Sakurai pretty much stomped all over than one. :glare:

I think every new IP asides from Isaac has fallen under the radar, especially with Little Mac, Isa (Who even him and Saki have downgraded in popularity, wat), Shulk, and Dillon
Little Mac and Shulk definitely haven't fallen under the radar, but Saki's popularity has decreased, I'll give you that. Dillon hasn't fallen under the radar as much as he never really was that big to begin with.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
There are plenty of celebrations of Balloon Fighter, most notably for playing music in Wario D.I.Y. Showcase.
Being a Virtual Console game plenty of times in the both the 3DS and Wii U eShop.
And also the Nintendoland minigame. :p
That's not what we're talking about. We're talking about popularity. Those games have apparently not made a difference for Balloon Fighter's popularity.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
No Shulk is incredibly popular for Smash Bros. The other's i'm not so sure about though.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Midna: Didn't get in for Brawl when it was her best chance, now is extremely unlikely, people realized that
Vaati: Also didn't get in for Brawl, hasn't had any appearances since, Ghirahim took part of his popularity
Ray: No new Custom Robo games, other unrepresented series surpassed him in likelihood
AC Character: Sakurai pretty much stomped all over than one. :glare:
I totally forgot about Ray! I remember thinking he'd be a pretty likely pick for Smash 4 back in the day, and then that idea just sort of...left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom