• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters that Can be Grabbed From the Ledge

DFat2

Smash Journeyman
Characters that can be grabbed from the Ledge

Well, after experimenting on training mode, I made a list of characters that can be grabbed while holding to the ledge on stages that are horizontal and have no change in terrain from one edge to the other. There are Stages like Yoshi Island where the area of the edge is slanted, but I'll only list the ones that can be grabbed on equal terrain.

(The credit for the discovery goes to Percon since he was the first one to mention it [at least by me, so if some one had discovered it first, tell me so I could correct it])

Mario
Donkey Kong
Meta Knight
Charizard
Yoshi
Captain Olimar
Ness
Lucas

(Every grab was tested on Final Destination. The only characters I could get a standing grab on where Ness, Lucas and DK).

Being able to grab on the ledge is a pretty good advantage for a couple of reasons. The main reason is Easy Gimps.

Since you grab them from the ledge, their options are limited. Try stuff on different people and try to create a pattern that can be easily predicted and punished.

For example. I tried it out on a Mario, but not a Mario mainer. What I did was Grab him from the ledge and Pummeled. When you Pummel and the other character isn't on ground, he falls back, no matter which direction he DIs. (If you just stand there without Pummeling, the character gets out of the grab but in a backward jump motion.) When I pummeled, he fell and jumped to return to the stage. I grabbed him again but didn't pummel and the grab release threw him far from the stage. Since he had his feet dangling of the stage, he didn't recover his jumps. After that, I anticipated the Up B and got a 30% Kill.

I tried the Edge grab again, but on a Mario mainer. He fell for it once, but after it, he Jumped and used Fire ball and then used Up B. It got me at first, but what I did was shield his fire ball, released the shield and grabbed the edge. He fell and I got another low % Kill.

What I'm trying to say is that, being able to grab on the edge gives more opportunities to gimp certain characters, but if done correctly. It isn't an inescapable combo that works 100% of the time, but if you put effort into it, you could get something really productive in return.

DK's recovery is pretty predictable and Spiking him isn't all that hard. All I can say for DK mainers is to not hang on the edge for too long or they might just loose a stock.

Percon

Smash Lord
Yeah, it generally works better on short characters or ones that have big heads. Most characters' hands don't count as a hitbox.

I think grabbing those on the ledge is a pretty safe and surprising option. I should attempt using it more - nobody sees it coming.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Awesome, thanks for the list Fat1! I had completely forgotten about this.

Top Bottom