• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters Getting Cut (Controversy Abound)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Ok, so everyone is familiar with the idea of adding characters. It's always fun to think of how awesome Ridley fighting Samurai Goroh would be, or rooting for the underdogs like Starfy or Issac. But as you may know, with new faces comes missing faces too. When new content is added, it's going to be obvious that someone is going to be cut out for some reason. Maybe it might because of their relevancy starting to fade or development time is too short to add a certain veteran. Whatever the reason, at least one character is probably not returning, much to the carnage of fans out there.

As you know, this is a very controversial topic that most people here don't want to discuss. But again, this is almost guaranteed to happen to a varying amount. So I have to ask you people out there: who will get removed? Why will they be removed? Are the odds in our favor or against us?

D

Deleted member

I am not a fan of cuts at all and I doubt Sakurai is as well. Sadly, they look likely to occur again, although it won't be as much as Brawl. One to three cuts seems more realistic, but I'm saying two.

I think that Sonic and Snake are going to get the boot due to third-parties having a reputation of not returning in the next installment. Whenever or not Nintendo characters being cut do happen remains to be seen, but I do feel as Sakurai will do everything in his power to keep them.

Waluigi

Smash Apprentice
Lucario, toon link, sheik, Ike, Lucas, PKMN Trainer, Snake and Sonic are the only ones with even a minute chance at being cut from what i can see.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
The people who think cutting characters SHOULD NOT happen are pretty silly. That kind of thing happens all the time outside of Smash. They mention the backlash that Mewtwo and Roy received, which is mostly warranted, and how it was a bad decision. Sure. AT THE SAME TIME they forget that there is a negligible amount of backlash for the other cut characters BECAUSE HEY it was a good decision to remove them.

The only character that I really WANT to be cut, and I think will be cut, is Toon Link.

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
Lucario, toon link, sheik, Ike, Lucas, PKMN Trainer, Snake and Sonic are the only ones with even a minute chance at being cut from what i can see.
Totally agree. Snake and PKMN Trainer are the most likely as I can see.
Maybe Ike will be substitued by Krom, Lucario by Zoroark, Sheik by Impa or Ghirahim.
Sonic is a third party character, besides him appearin more on Nintendo games.

But very saddly, I'm thinking on Toon Link, what if they bring up Young Link again or Majora's Mask's Link?
And Olimar substitued by one of the Pikmin 3' newest captains? (blue haired guy seems more likely)

Alberto1866

Smash Journeyman
I can deffinatley see cuts but more so replacements. Such as Lucario, another humanoid pokemon will take it's place. As for Sonic and Snake they may be replaced by other characters in there series. Though for Sonic they may keep him and add more of his comrades such as Tails, Knuckles, Rouge, Shadow, Robotnik, Big, Amy, and the robot whose name I always seem to forget. I say those characters because they joined him on the Sonice Adventure games.

:phone:

Woops forgot to add that Sonic will mostlikely be kept because he appears with Mario in cross overs such as Mario and Sonic and the olympic games and I know there was another one just like that.

Jhonnykiller45

Smash Journeyman
I feel like the Pokémon Trainer and Toon Link are the most likely ones to get removed, though, for some reason Sakurai thinks it's important to have 2 Links in Smash so I don't think Toon Link is going anywhere. The same can't be said about the Pokémon Trainer, though.
Also, in question to the third-parties(Sonic and Snake) I don't think they'll be going anywhere, because, if Kojima still wants Snake in, I'm pretty sure he'll be kept, and for Sonic, well, he's just way too popular to be cut; specially now that Sonic has a crossover series with Mario.
Though, if anyone gets cut it'll most likely be because of time constraints(much like Dr. Mario, Roy and Mewtwo were).

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Cut the fat ugly plumbers so we can awesome characters like Tingle, Crystal and Waluigi

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
@Oasis: Don't go Kuma on us with a "Smash should be like other fighters" bit.

Doubt Sakurai is cut happy like so many people make him out to be. Also don't know where people get the whole substitution thing from. Dumb. Yeah cuts could happen, and they also may not, though I'd more likely bet we'd see the large roster revamp come, god willing, in Smash 5.

I'll get into the deeper stuff once people start using their heads and stop using words like substitution, replace, and relevancy when referring to this particular topic.

D

Deleted member

@---: Speaking of replace and subsitution, that could apply to Young Link being cut for Toon Link given their similar move sets. No way would they ever co-exist. However, I do not feel as replacements will happen this game. If there are cuts, it'll be due to time constraints and legal issues.

But I will agree in that relevance needs to be stopped as being used as an argument for cuts

Speaking of replacing Lucario, Ike, or Sheik, I'm going to say that trying to replace an unique character with an unique character doesn't work. Carrying on play styles is impossible to do, which is something people forget

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
The people who think cutting characters SHOULD NOT happen are pretty silly. That kind of thing happens all the time outside of Smash. They mention the backlash that Mewtwo and Roy received, which is mostly warranted, and how it was a bad decision. Sure. AT THE SAME TIME they forget that there is a negligible amount of backlash for the other cut characters BECAUSE HEY it was a good decision to remove them.

The only character that I really WANT to be cut, and I think will be cut, is Toon Link.
The primary difference between those other games and Super Smash Bros is the latter is more dependent on the characters themselves and less how they play. That is why Mewtwo and Roy have been such a big deal.

Toon Link I can see being removed primarily because the design of most of the Zelda characters are going to reflect Skyward Sword which dips into what made Toon Link stomach-able in the first place. Even with the guest characters I can see Sonic returning because of how big of an impact his appearance was to the series. Even now just knowing Sonic the Hedgehog is returning would still be a big deal. Tweak him up, change some things around, and people will still go gaga.

Although it does not really matter in the end. Between the character well drying up and the technical threshold of the roster itself, even if half the cast were cut there wouldn't be any more newcomers than Sakurai already has planned. It is not a matter of there not being enough room for new characters, rather the characters left to choose from are not the best choices to be playable. That is the issue. Sakurai operates on his own wavelength.

I'm half asleep so whatever.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
What Star said. It's all about what characters add to the game first and formost.

@---: Speaking of replace and subsitution, that could apply to Young Link being cut for Toon Link given their similar move sets. No way would they ever co-exist.
Meh, doesn't really count in my book. Child Link is a poor example and reasoning for what people have been using relevancy/substitution as an excuse for anyway. Probably was some sort of de-cloning thing Sakurai had going on anyway.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Waluigi, we actually agree on something! I'm not sure about Ike though, I thought, if anything, that he was going to be replaced by Krom, but I don't think that that is likely. As well as these, Mario needs to get cut, I mean, what's his impact to Nintendo anyway? :troll:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
People conveniently forget that Mewtwo and Roy were originally in the game before they were clipped last second, likely for Sonic and Wolf. The cuts we're likely to see for SSB4 really depend on whether or not Sakurai prioritizes character development over superficial tripe like the SSE, which took up (apparently) roughly 60 percent of Brawl's development time. He could easily add the five or fewer characters people toss around frequently for cut fodder if he just allotted more resources toward their completion.

keero16

Smash Rookie
I think Pokemon trainer will stay because he's just so different than the others. Whether or not it's the same Pokemon trainer is questionable.
I think it's obvious that Sonic and Snake aren't going to be in the next one. I wish they would stay, but since they aren't Nintendo characters they most likely won't.
Ike has such a different move set than the other Fire Emblem counterparts that I think he'll stay for at least one more.
So really, Lucario, Snake and Sonic are the ones most likely to be cut imo.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I really don't think Sonic's going to be cut. He got into Brawl with his own unique moveset and was by far the most popular addition between him and Snake. Sega and Nintendo still milk off the Sonic and Mario friendly rivalry with the Olympics series. I don't think they'll skip on doing another SSB with Mario and Sonic together. Technially Mewtwo was also popular and at the time had a very unique moveset. But that was a whole different thing altogether.

I silently wish all the playable Brawl characters could return. Though if there's one I have questions about, it's Lucario for the same reasons Mewtwo was cut.

JPW

Smash Ace
Sakurai: "I think Snake and Sonic joining were fantastic. It made many fans happy, and it broadened the Smash Bros arena," he said. "However, introducing more non-Nintendo characters willy-nilly will lose the focus of the game, so I also recognise the need to narrow it down."
taken from ign.com.

I think Snake is more likely of a cut than Sonic. But i'd rather keep them both. I know Snake is overpowered, but he also mixes it up a bit and adds variety and something different.
Sonic's chances depend on where Nintendo and Sega are in the next few years. If Sega is still creating Olympic games and making more Sonic beauties(like Sonic Colours or Sonic Generations standard) on Wii U. Sonic has a very good chance of making the roster again.

But we're talking about Cuts and the only one i see right now as 90% is Lucario. Ike could be a possible cut.... but apparently he's
DLC in FE: Awakening/3DS and he actually has a son now and he shows up as DLC too in the 3DS game
so Ike has a very big part now(possibly the second Marth), and like i've said in the past he is the second FE lord to have 2 FE games. Marth i believe actually has 4 depending if people will count the remakes.
Snake is another up for cuts. I wont miss him. I hate Snake players, but like i said he brings something different to the game. Toon Link. I wont officially be a but if anything it'll be the new Young Link look if any.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
People conveniently forget that Mewtwo and Roy were originally in the game before they were clipped last second, likely for Sonic and Wolf. The cuts we're likely to see for SSB4 really depend on whether or not Sakurai prioritizes character development over superficial tripe like the SSE, which took up (apparently) roughly 60 percent of Brawl's development time. He could easily add the five or fewer characters people toss around frequently for cut fodder if he just allotted more resources toward their completion.
Sakurai even admitted in the Nintendo Power interview he gave after Brawl was released that there were characters he wanted to put into the game that he couldn't. Of course he wouldn't go into who they were, likely because he was, and will, put them into the next Super Smash Bros.

However, I've never really been of the opinion that space is going to cause the newcomers in the next game to be less than in previous installments, but lack of characters.

D

Deleted member

That quote that JPW posted is part of why I believe that Snake and Sonic have high chances to remain the only 3rd Parties.

I see no reason to believe they will be cut.
I really see no reason to believe ANYONE will be cut at this point.

JPW

Smash Ace
What i really don't get about this point with Mewtwo and Roy that people keep on bringing if they were originally in the game. Why bother cutting them out? You already have the models made and such right. Just because you need to make room for Sonic and Wolf doesn't mean you have to cut two others.

If they were really that important they would of done them early rather than leave them to the last minute. Also can you show me this famous quote where Sakurai says that Mewtwo and Roy were cut at the last minute.

D

Deleted member

What i really don't get about this point with Mewtwo and Roy that people keep on bringing if they were originally in the game. Why bother cutting them out? You already have the models made and such right. Just because you need to make room for Sonic and Wolf doesn't mean you have to cut two others.

If they were really that important they would of done them early rather than leave them to the last minute. Also can you show me this famous quote where Sakurai says that Mewtwo and Roy were cut at the last minute.
You really don't know how development works, do you?

Lechteron

Smash Apprentice
I think Lucario might go but Mewtwo will come back. I think Pokemon Trainer will stay, if for no other reason because of how iconic his pokemon are and how well he represents the play style of Pokemon (Yes, it needs some tweaks).

I like how Snake plays but I have a feeling that he might be out in the next game. If he is cut I do hope that Simon Belmont comes in.

I don't think that Sonic is going any where.

We also have to remember that there's a different dev team here that's probably going to be a bit bigger and better at dividing up the labor which means that they can fit more characters and more in general in.

Arikags

Smash Cadet
I have a theory that Toon Link and Link will be replaced with a Link that can change forms, between OoT/MM adult and child form, WW form, TP form, and SS form.
I also think that this game requires a specific form change button due to the amount of characters in Brawl that had to forfeit a fourth special move for such a reason.

Pichu4SSB4

You're not going Turbo?
I can see SS Link replacing TP Link for sure. And i hope Toon Link stays, he's actually a good fighter on his own unlike Young Link who was just a nerfed version of Link in SSBM. As for other characters getting cut, i'm not really the guy that likes to see characters getting removed no matter who it is. Because every character has a fanbase, and it'll just upset them. But if i HAD to choose someone to get the boot, i would cut Lucario and bring back Mewtwo.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well id say ike i likely to be replaced by a more recent FE character, lucario will probably be replaced by a gen six pokemon (assuming of course it's out by then which i think it will), and snake and sonic because they're third party characters, the pokemon trainer will most likely just be updated to a more recent trainer

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I have kinda hard time thinking who I'd expect to be cut. Brawl had already cut out the characters that I would have hated to be seen done (TOON SHEIK, Plusle and Minun PRESUMABLY?). I'm only against Wolf because of his lazy-looking cut-paste moveset.

I though have not much saying on who'll get cut, I wished Jiggs won't be cut back in pre-Brawl and that actually came true, but she was quite nerfed and didn't feel as home as in Melee to me.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It's probably not a good idea to be making these types of threads, as they could lead to flame wars. If you have any inputs on which characters may get cut, please take them to the threads at the Smash Veterans forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom