• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character You're Looking Forward To The Least Because of P:M?

Prism

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jesset202
3DS FC
0576-5008-6643
For the Project M players, who are you least excited for in Smash 4 because you're afraid P:M "spoiled" you? I feel like for me, I won't be able to get over Kirby not having a horizontal final cutter.

yahooda

Smash Ace
NNID
yahooda
3DS FC
0302-0469-6394
At first I thought that Captain Falcon's side-b not being able to grab the edge would be annoying, but I only used that for edge-hogging and there's no edge-hogging in this game, so it shouldn't be a problem.

DougX

Smash Champion
My Super Secret Underwater Volcano Lair in Space
NNID
Luigirasendori
3DS FC
0877-2652-6033
I am only an outside viewer of Project M atm (Though I plan on getting into it eventually), but I know a decent bit about it...

My disappointment that I guess could stem from P:M is that there's no Roy who got ultra buffed and somewhat decloned... Or Roy at all. :c I guess same could be said for Mewtwo, but I care more about Roy because Redhead pride. Or them simply not combining Dr. Mario and Mario into one character, but he has both as his set of costumes that make the effects vary depending on which one you use... And no green fire trail when Luigi uses the green missile. :c

(Lol at how minor some of these things are. :awesome:)

Prism

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jesset202
3DS FC
0576-5008-6643
My disappointment that I guess could stem from P:M is that there's no Roy who got ultra buffed and somewhat decloned... Or Roy at all. :c
What do you mean? Roy's in Smash 4.

:troll:

I was super upset about the lack of Mewtwo at first, but I've gotten over it, and honestly I feel it's probably better for me because of how good Mewtwo is in P:M. It'd be hard for Nintendo to make a Mewtwo close to that level that wasn't broken. Part of me's hoping he isn't DLC (although part of me's kind of expecting him to be, and I can't say I wouldn't be happy about him being in Smash 4 even if he sucks).

DougX

Smash Champion
NNID
Luigirasendori
3DS FC
0877-2652-6033
What do you mean? Roy's in Smash 4.

:troll:

I was super upset about the lack of Mewtwo at first, but I've gotten over it, and honestly I feel it's probably better for me because of how good Mewtwo is in P:M. It'd be hard for Nintendo to make a Mewtwo close to that level that wasn't broken. Part of me's hoping he isn't DLC (although part of me's kind of expecting him to be, and I can't say I wouldn't be happy about him being in Smash 4 even if he sucks).
But he's pink... And bald! D:

Mewtwo isn't exactly a character I'm into too much, but I can totally see how good he in Prawject Em based on videos I've seen... I am not sure what to expect for ol' Pokemon 150, but we'll have to wait and see. I can't be too disappointed in Luigi for Smash 4 since he got some decent buffs to parts of his moveset, some nice new animations, and hasn't been too overly changed up so he'll feel a little fresh at parts, yet still mainly familiar. Redhead Roy isn't there for Smash 4, but he probably wouldn't have been as well done if he was than how he was done in Project M... That is, unless they would have overhauled his moveset for the game in that theoretical scenario. Here's to whatever DLC might possibly bring, if anything at all.

Prism

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jesset202
3DS FC
0576-5008-6643
But he's pink... And bald! D:

Mewtwo isn't exactly a character I'm into too much, but I can totally see how good he in Prawject Em based on videos I've seen... I am not sure what to expect for ol' Pokemon 150, but we'll have to wait and see. I can't be too disappointed in Luigi for Smash 4 since he got some decent buffs to parts of his moveset, some nice new animations, and hasn't been too overly changed up so he'll feel a little fresh at parts, yet still mainly familiar. Redhead Roy isn't there for Smash 4, but he probably wouldn't have been as well done if he was than how he was done in Project M... That is, unless they would have overhauled his moveset for the game in that theoretical scenario. Here's to whatever DLC might possibly bring, if anything at all.
Yeahh, I feel like if we saw Roy he'd be like his Melee counterpart. The PMDT did a fantastic job on him (they did a great job on everyone, honestly). I love how Luigi can get stuck in the walls with his Side B in Smash 4 :D I hear it was in Brawl too, though I never saw it. I imagine it doesn't really help a Luigi player much, but it looks hilarious and awesome.

Dragoomba

Smash Lord
Diddy's fantastic in P:M. I'm kinda glad Ivysaur isn't in Smash 4 (my P:M main for a long time) because I would've been sorely disappointed by his/her moveset (I think).
Not just PM either. This Diddy is just pitiful compared to both of his previous incarnations.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
Definitely with you on Kirby. Kirby's buffed Melee dash attack and the "Cutter Dash" are waaaaaay too fun. I once said to a friend of mine that "I will never have fun playing as Kirby in an official Smash ever again" thanks to Project M and I still feel that way.

Ganondorf also looks much less fun in Smash 4 than PM.

DougX

Smash Champion
NNID
Luigirasendori
3DS FC
0877-2652-6033
Yeahh, I feel like if we saw Roy he'd be like his Melee counterpart. The PMDT did a fantastic job on him (they did a great job on everyone, honestly). I love how Luigi can get stuck in the walls with his Side B in Smash 4 :D I hear it was in Brawl too, though I never saw it. I imagine it doesn't really help a Luigi player much, but it looks hilarious and awesome.
Yeah... That's what worries me. I still like to play as Roy (I would probably moreso like him in Project M), but I can understand why Marth is better to some degree. I just wanna see Awakening Roy in awesome HD moving as smooth as butter. Also, on the topic of the Green Missile, yeah, it could happen in Brawl too. It doesn't always happen and yeah, it's not very useful. It's still awesome and hilarious though.

I feel like Nintendo took some inspiration from P:M on a few minimum parts somehow though since, if I recall, they do know about it. (Samus having a fire burst at the end of her Forward Smash and a costume based on the Light Suit, albeit it's only the color in Smash 4 rather than actually adding all the details of said suit.)

@Rascal To be fair, at least he looks more fun than in Brawl.

Prism

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jesset202
3DS FC
0576-5008-6643
Yeah... That's what worries me. I still like to play as Roy (I would probably moreso like him in Project M), but I can understand why Marth is better to some degree. I just wanna see Awakening Roy in awesome HD moving as smooth as butter. Also, on the topic of the Green Missile, yeah, it could happen in Brawl too. It doesn't always happen and yeah, it's not very useful. It's still awesome and hilarious though.

I feel like Nintendo took some inspiration from P:M on a few minimum parts somehow though since, if I recall, they do know about it. (Samus having a fire burst at the end of her Forward Smash and a costume based on the Light Suit, albeit it's only the color in Smash 4 rather than actually adding all the details of said suit.)

@Rascal To be fair, at least he looks more fun than in Brawl.
Yeah, I believe the team did do some research on P:M

WheelerFGC

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ocarinasonwheels
3DS FC
2020-0089-8969
Switch FC
8390-7649-9691
P:M Lucario is SO GOOD! I never really liked brawl lucario, so Sm4sh lucario will be interesting.
I still plan on playing him though.
I heard Yoshi is better then his P:M incarnation, so I'm happy for that, being a pm lucario/yoshi player.

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
I actually like how Zelda is shaping up to be in Smash 4. Yeah she's not ever going to be called "broken!" like she was in PM (lol by the way) but she seems like she's not helpless against entire types of characters anymore.

Mewtwo because he doesn't exist.
/thread as far as I'm confirmed

Raijinken

Smash Master
Sonic (not that I was looking forward to him anyway). He'll feel wrong without the heelflip spike. Back to being a disliked and boring character for me.

Gabukin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gabukin
Mainly ness, I love his Double jump cancel & how his magnet can be used offensively. And the speed of his PK Flash.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
PM Zard is probably my favorite moveset of all time, but I'll adapt.

Not gonna be the same without those pillar combos though. :(

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
I will probably whiff lots of attacks thinking my sword is a lot longer than it is as Marth.

Cornstalk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cornstalk
I'm kinda glad Ivysaur isn't in Smash 4 (my P:M main for a long time) because I would've been sorely disappointed by his/her moveset (I think).
Don't you mean SAURly disappointed?

Back on topic. Samus.
PM took all of her cool tricks from Melee and added even more. Couldn't play her even close to well myself, but she is still one of my favorite characters to watch play. Players good with Samus in PM are unintentional entertainers.

Unless the really gave her a revamp for Smash 4 from what she was in Brawl, She'll probably see use mostly for camp'n'spam shooting strategies that are completely wrecked by reflectors.

Prism

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jesset202
3DS FC
0576-5008-6643
Don't you mean SAURly disappointed?

Back on topic. Samus.
PM took all of her cool tricks from Melee and added even more. Couldn't play her even close to well myself, but she is still one of my favorite characters to watch play. Players good with Samus in PM are unintentional entertainers.

Unless the really gave her a revamp for Smash 4 from what she was in Brawl, She'll probably see use mostly for camp'n'spam shooting strategies that are completely wrecked by reflectors.
Yeah, PM Samus was pretty neat. On the other side of the spectrum, I prefer Smash 4 ZSS over PM ZSS at the moment.

You deserve a medal for that pun, by the way.

Last edited:

Tshockz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
speed0fsound
3DS FC
1762-3005-1769
:4ganondorf:I feel spoiled playing him in PM compared to how he is in other games.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I've been actively avoiding P:M Mario to prevent feeling this way, but...
:4drmario:
Whoops, silly me.

MangoTwist

Smash Apprentice
I feel like Nintendo took some inspiration from P:M on a few minimum parts somehow though since, if I recall, they do know about it. (Samus having a fire burst at the end of her Forward Smash and a costume based on the Light Suit, albeit it's only the color in Smash 4 rather than actually adding all the detail...
Actually, P:M added the fire burst Front Smash after the E3 2013 trailer unveiled it for Smash 4. Smash 4 inspired P:M in that case. And although P:M unveiled their Light Suit (shortly) before Smash 4 did, Sakurai's team likely already had it programmed into the game for some time.

However, it wouldn't surprise me if Smash 4 took inspiration from other parts of P:M

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Sonic

From what I've heard, he's still really good. However his moveset is almost completely different and his moves have different properties. It's gonna be interesting re-learning him.

Khao

Smash Lord
Now that's an oddly specific question.

Honestly, nobody.

I play Project M about as much as I play Melee and Brawl, and there's some changes I actually really don't like. Biggest offender to me is the re-cloned Falco (down to the disgusting utilt animation, what the heck were they thinking)

Some stuff is better, some stuff is worse, I'm just happy it's different, but there's nothing I'll honestly miss. In the end, as fun as it is, I'll never be able to think of Project M as anything more than a mod, so it's really not all that important to me.

DougX

Smash Champion
NNID
Luigirasendori
3DS FC
0877-2652-6033
Actually, P:M added the fire burst Front Smash after the E3 2013 trailer unveiled it for Smash 4. Smash 4 inspired P:M in that case. And although P:M unveiled their Light Suit (shortly) before Smash 4 did, Sakurai's team likely already had it programmed into the game for some time.

However, it wouldn't surprise me if Smash 4 took inspiration from other parts of P:M
Those cunning purple M's.... Thanks for the clarification.

GeNo-BreaKer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GeNo-BreaKer-01
3DS FC
1220-6182-2346
Marth.
The developers just HAD to nerf Marth. Because Marth's sword range in Brawl totally wasn't small enough compared to Melee.

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
Now that's an oddly specific question.

Honestly, nobody.

I play Project M about as much as I play Melee and Brawl, and there's some changes I actually really don't like. Biggest offender to me is the re-cloned Falco (down to the disgusting utilt animation, what the heck were they thinking)

Some stuff is better, some stuff is worse, I'm just happy it's different, but there's nothing I'll honestly miss. In the end, as fun as it is, I'll never be able to think of Project M as anything more than a mod, so it's really not all that important to me.
Project: M Lucario is a freakin' travesty, to be honest. Like what even were they thinking. Smash 4 Lucario is FTW! :4lucario:

I mean have you seen his attacks with max Aura? Extreme Speed practically goes as far as Villager's Up Special, and it does a fairly solid 10% damage. Force Palm covers 40% of Final Destination. DAir does almost 30% by itself.

Oh also his UAir is like Brawl Meta Knight fast now. More endlag though, but still it comes out seemingly instantly.

Double Team still sucks unless you're countering a particularly heavy attack, though. Also it's still set damage. (IMO set damage counters = terribad. Damage multiplier or bust.)

Pretty annoyed that they decloned Roy just so they could reclone Falco, too. I mean what even is that?

Marth.
The developers just HAD to nerf Marth. Because Marth's sword range in Brawl totally wasn't small enough compared to Melee.
Actually, while the Falchion seems like it might be slightly shorter than it even was in Brawl in Smash 4 (it's practically a long knife rather than a shortsword now), many of his attacks got their wide arcs back, such as his Up Tilt.

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
I actually didn't want to play Project M at first because I'd feel I'd get spoiled by it. Then I kind of gave in.

Damn, how I'll miss Sonic's P:M fair and uptilt, or all of Samus' ranged powerplay and ice beam....and her boost ball....and her touch-sensitive bombs....and probably her midair charging beams too. *sigh* Well, I DID warn myself.

On the bright side, some other characters are looking pretty good, retaining some of those Project M qualities or having entirely different perks to make up for it. And I do love the changes made to Pit.

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
I actually didn't want to play Project M at first because I'd feel I'd get spoiled by it. Then I kind of gave in.

Damn, how I'll miss Sonic's P:M fair and uptilt, or all of Samus' ranged powerplay and ice beam....and her boost ball....and her touch-sensitive bombs....and probably her midair charging beams too. *sigh* Well, I DID warn myself.

On the bright side, some other characters are looking pretty good, retaining some of those Project M qualities or having entirely different perks to make up for it. And I do love the changes made to Pit.
Actually, Samus's bombs are touch-sensitive in Smash 4. It is kind of a shame that Smash 4 Samus is so close-combat-y instead of ranged, though. They keep nerfing her ranged options in every game while giving other characters what should be her playstyle.

I certainly won't miss P:M Sonic's Side Special though, even if his FAir was super awesome. Admittedly I wish they'd just hurry up and make his Side Special the Light Speed Attack or Sonic Boost, but failing that his Smash 4 Side Special is pretty good, even if it is still just a second Spin Dash. The two moves actually work a good kind of "differently" now! Spin Charge deals multiple hits and drags the foe along with it a little, and Spin Dash has that lovely hop and fast-fall that looks so much smoother than it ever was in Brawl. I might actually even use Spin Dash now on occasion! Also dat Dash Attack though.

Speaking of the Light Speed Attack, that also would've made a good custom Neutral Special: A Homing Attack that, while having longer initial startup and doing less damage normally, can be charged to cause it to lock on multiple times, slamming into the opponent repeatedly in very quick succession. The longer it's charged, the more times it locks on.

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
Sonic, I guess, because he had that front aerial spike that was nice when it landed. Besides that..Ness and Mario stayed relatively similar and Pit's differences are something new going from Brawl to Sm4sh, not just from PM to Sm4sh, so I think I can make due.

Laikue

Smash Cadet
NNID
Thatguylaikue
3DS FC
4356-1192-5913
Roy. Wait, I mean, Mewtwo. Um, wait, of course, I mean Ivysaur. Lucas? Hot-damn most of my mains aren't even in Sm4sh! Though on a serious note, the only one for me is Zelda. R.I.P. actually useful Fireballs.

Although I main Link and he's pretty different in Smash 4, I don't care as I like the new version of him better. (The only thing I miss is his Boomerang, but I can replace his god awful Gale Boomerang with customs now, so moot point)

Last edited:

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I would probably miss Lucas but he isn't in smash 4.

Though I also use Kirby in PM, I liked his playstyle in brawl a lot more, he may be worse there but I fell a lot more comfortable when using his brawl incarnation. With the rumors that kirby is good in Smash 4 and plays similar to brawl, I'm actually excited to try kirby in that game.

Top Bottom