• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Character with Custom Move Set] Labeling Convention Proposal

MadKraken

Smash Cadet
Communicating which character a player is using and which custom moves they are playing with can be a mouthful and take up precious time for announcers during a match. For instance:

PlayerX is playing as Charizard with side B 3 and down B 2.

That's a lot of words. Maybe the official names of these moves are known and used instead, but it's still a lot. Of course, this can be shorter or longer depending on how many non-default moves the player is using.

However, I propose a labeling convention to concisely and efficiently communicate this information. Here's an example:

PlayerX is playing as 1312 Charizard.

This is pronounced "thirteen twelve Charizard". Each digit in that number before the character's name corresponds to a special move.

abcd

a - neutral B
b - side B
c - up B
d - down B

The number in each digit corresponds to the custom move number as we know it, 1 being default, and 2 and 3 being the second and third variants.

As the metagame develops and the strategy differences between, say, 1312 Charizard and 2312 Charizard, become more well-known, this convention will provide a means of discussing them without all the verbose bulk we need now. Also, it will provide a means of labeling the player selections on things like match videos, where instead of just saying...

PlayerX (Charizard) vs PlayerY (Pit)

...it can say...

PlayerX (1232 Charizard) vs PlayerY (3211 Pit)

...and viewers can instantly know what's going on.

This is just a proposal. It was something that popped into my head late last night while I was trying to fall asleep and thought I might as well share it in case it actually helps. I know how people are, and swiftly adopting a format like this can be impractical to expect of a whole community. Also, it might just be a bad format, and I'm sure y'all will let me know. :) But just in case... yeah.

Doval

Smash Lord
I'm already doing this with my custom movesets, using the numbers in the order they appear from top to bottom in the customization screen. Pretty sure I'm not the only one.

Last edited:

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
This isn't even something they need to do. 's expected for them to make everything as interesting but short as possible. And if you hadn't done your research, oh well viewer. It's not their fault, as even if they said it the long way, you still wouldn't know if you didn't know then.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I think most people, including myself, already do this. This was the consensus in the custom moves topic.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
I like it except I believe saying " a one three one two charizard" is a better choice than "a thirteen twelve charizard". Of course, in this example, it is a syllable shorter but had it ended with an 11, 21, 22, 23, 31, 32, or 33 rather than a 12 it would have more syllables.

But most importantly, "one three one two" is less confusing/ more understandable from an outsider's perspective.

Last edited:
Top Bottom