• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Support Thread Index

PreedReve

Smash Journeyman
So, I thought I would post a Top 10 Most Viewed Support Thread list here for anyone who's interested:

*This list does NOT included locked threads or threads that support series versus one specific character*
*Also, this list does not reflect any actual popularity, likes, or ballots cast for the character, just the number of views their respected thread has received*

1. King K. Rool at 960,503 views
2. Bandana Dee at 354,801 views
3. Isaac at 351,576 views
4. Krystal at 236,976 views
5. Rayman at 197,965 views
6. Solid Snake at 183,163 views
7. Roy at 129,812 views
8. Lip at 108,587 views
9. Paper Mario at 85,614 views
10. Dixie Kong at 83,459 views

PreedReve

Smash Journeyman
>Lip is at number 7

WHAT WIZARDY IS THIS?!?
I'm not surprised she's on the list, Smash doesn't have a puzzle game rep (except Dr. Mario) or a girl character (just woman), I'm just surprised she beat Dixie. >w>

ShinyGirafarig

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
3DS FC
5412-9895-2268
Thanks for the list. Makes things easier to see. If it is okay with you, is it alright to switch "Advanced Wars" to Advance Wars" in the links to the Andy and Sami threads? It's understandable because it's a common error to make and it will make me happy if it is corrected.

PreedReve

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the list. Makes things easier to see. If it is okay with you, is it alright to switch "Advanced Wars" to Advance Wars" in the links to the Andy and Sami threads? It's understandable because it's a common error to make and it will make me happy if it is corrected.
Sure, I'll even fix Strums too. ;D

ShinyGirafarig

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
3DS FC
5412-9895-2268
Sure, I'll even fix Strums too. ;D
Thanks. And hilariously enough it is Sturm (which means storm in German) not Strum (something you do to a guitar, I think you can tell now which is the more threatening name for a villain). That was also a common error back in the days of when AW forums were popular enough to be posted in. If it is okay with you to correct that too that would be great.

Last edited:

RonNewcomb

Smash Journeyman
Props to the OP for that massive list of characters.

But I'm surprised no one mentions Strider Hiryu? His Custom Moves practically write themselves.

vegeta18

Smash Journeyman
its cool that theres support for characters, but correct me if im wrong, why do we not have a character vote on this website yet? I think there should be a topic with an open pool for what character everyone voted for. It would be cool to see the results this website comes up with, even though everyone would know that it obviously isnt official, we could at least see where characters stand according to the competitive community that goes on this website. It would probably give us some ball park idea of what people want.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
its cool that theres support for characters, but correct me if im wrong, why do we not have a character vote on this website yet? I think there should be a topic with an open pool for what character everyone voted for. It would be cool to see the results this website comes up with, even though everyone would know that it obviously isnt official, we could at least see where characters stand according to the competitive community that goes on this website. It would probably give us some ball park idea of what people want.
Before release we had an RTC thread--"Rate the Chances." Close to the game's launch that shut down, then we had another poll that was posted in the forums where you could vote for your most wanted DLC character. This one I can't find right now, probably because its been overshadowed by the DLC RTC thread that opened up within the past few weeks:

http://smashboards.com/threads/rate-their-chances-the-dlc-edition-day-30-pichu.398604/

But seriously, the Smashboards character discussion has basically always had polls open throughout the entire speculation period.

theenlightenedone

Smash Apprentice
This is false, though. Monolith Soft made Baten Kaitos WHEN THEY WERE WORKING FOR NAMCO. Baten Kaitos is owned by Bandai Namco, not Nintendo. Namco licensed out the IP to Nintendo and allowed them to have Monolith produce Origins, though. But its not a Nintendo IP, and just like Xenosaga, Nintendo has to go through Namco if they want to have Monolith produce another game.
I thought that it was a Monolith IP just like Xeno

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I thought that it was a Monolith IP just like Xeno
It is. Here's the problem; Monolith has never owned any of its IP's. They're always owned by the publisher of the game. If Nintendo owned Xenosaga, they would've just continued the Xenosaga games, for example.

All of the Xeno games (except Xenoverse, because that's DBZ and is totally unrelated) were developed by Monolith. With Square Enix they did Xenogears, then they left SE and could not take the IP with them. Then they made Xenosaga and Baten Kaitos with Namco, which, once again, they could not take with them to Nintendo. Namco did greenlight a Baten Kaitos game after Monolith went to Nintendo, but Namco still owns the IP.

By default the developer owns the IP, but the licensing can change that. For example, you do realize that before the Rare buyout, Nintendo owned Banjo-Kazooie, correct? Little known fact, but Nintendo did, and the Diddy Kong Racing box proves it. However, Nintendo willingly let go of the Banjo IP (something not a lot of publishers are willing to do).

Rare is a largely different case than Monolith, as it owned most of its properties. The biggest things that Rare didn't own were Donkey Kong and all characters they created for the Donkey Kong series (obviously as its a Nintendo IP), and Banjo-Kazooie (Rare created it from scratch, but the licensing with Nintendo gave the IP to Nintendo).

For proof that Nintendo owned the Banjo IP at one point: http://img.gamefaqs.net/box/9/2/4/2924_back.jpg ("Trademark of Nintendo. Diddy Kong, Banjo, and Krunch Characters licensed by Nintendo.")

theenlightenedone

Smash Apprentice
This is false, though. Monolith Soft made Baten Kaitos WHEN THEY WERE WORKING FOR NAMCO. Baten Kaitos is owned by Bandai Namco, not Nintendo. Namco licensed out the IP to Nintendo and allowed them to have Monolith produce Origins, though. But its not a Nintendo IP, and just like Xenosaga, Nintendo has to go through Namco if they want to have Monolith produce another game.
I thought it was a Monolith IP and is why it would be owned by Nintendo.

theenlightenedone

Smash Apprentice
It is. Here's the problem; Monolith has never owned any of its IP's. They're always owned by the publisher of the game. If Nintendo owned Xenosaga, they would've just continued the Xenosaga games, for example.

All of the Xeno games (except Xenoverse, because that's DBZ and is totally unrelated) were developed by Monolith. With Square Enix they did Xenogears, then they left SE and could not take the IP with them. Then they made Xenosaga and Baten Kaitos with Namco, which, once again, they could not take with them to Nintendo. Namco did greenlight a Baten Kaitos game after Monolith went to Nintendo, but Namco still owns the IP.

By default the developer owns the IP, but the licensing can change that. For example, you do realize that before the Rare buyout, Nintendo owned Banjo-Kazooie, correct? Little known fact, but Nintendo did, and the Diddy Kong Racing box proves it. However, Nintendo willingly let go of the Banjo IP (something not a lot of publishers are willing to do).

Rare is a largely different case than Monolith, as it owned most of its properties. The biggest things that Rare didn't own were Donkey Kong and all characters they created for the Donkey Kong series (obviously as its a Nintendo IP), and Banjo-Kazooie (Rare created it from scratch, but the licensing with Nintendo gave the IP to Nintendo).

For proof that Nintendo owned the Banjo IP at one point: http://img.gamefaqs.net/box/9/2/4/2924_back.jpg ("Trademark of Nintendo. Diddy Kong, Banjo, and Krunch Characters licensed by Nintendo.")
I knew that about the Rare deal and don't get why Nintendo let those IPs go with them. Never will understand it. So what was Monolith's history? Was owned by SE or did they just develop for them? Same with Namco? Why doesn't Nintendo just buy the rights to the franchises?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I knew that about the Rare deal and don't get why Nintendo let those IPs go with them. Never will understand it. So what was Monolith's history? Was owned by SE or did they just develop for them? Same with Namco? Why doesn't Nintendo just buy the rights to the franchises?
Buying the rights to a franchise is not an easy thing to do. Many publishers don't care and want the IP's for the sake of having IP's. Why does Konami just SIT on the Bomberman IP and not do anything with it?

Once you have an IP, most companies don't want to give them up, because then someone else is making money off of it.

As far as Rare is concerned, Nintendo was just nicer overall. As far as I'm aware, Nintendo owned only a few of Rare's IP's, actually. In fact, except for Diddy Kong, Banjo, and Krunch, Rare owned everything in Diddy Kong Racing. Obviously Nintendo owns the title since its Diddy Kong, but everything in the game Rare owned. Rare also owned Conker, Jet Force Jemini, and Battletoads (they actually created Battletoads before Nintendo bought 49% of Rare).

The Banjo IP is something that Nintendo COULD have kept if they wanted to. However, they were nice enough to let the IP go because Rare actually created it. Technically its a co-owned thing, Nintendo didn't 100% own it, but they had enough say in it that they had to license out the property to Rare.

As for your Monolith question:
"A majority of Monolith Soft's staff are former employees of Square Co., who transferred to the new company shortly after the creation of Chrono Cross."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monolith_Soft

Monolith was its own company prior to being bought out by Nintendo. However, they were exclusively a development studio and did not publish games. Any games they made were owned by the publisher.

Actually, my mistake:
The company was founded on October 1, 1999 by producer Hirohide Sugiura and director Tetsuya Takahashi after they left Square and accepted an investment from Namco.[2] As of May 6, 2007, Nintendo owned controlling interest in the company after Bandai Namco Holdings sold 80% of its 96% stake in Monolith Soft to Nintendo. This went into effect May 1, 2007.[3] Later Namco sold the remaining 16%, making Monolith Soft a first-party developer for Nintendo.
So they left Square and Namco invested into them. Namco later sold their shares.

Huh, I didn't realize they were technically owned by Namco.

PreedReve

Smash Journeyman
So, I'm gonna start adding characters I've seen people support that don't have have support threads to the Non-Supported list.
If you have any characters that follow SmashBoards' and Nintendo's rules, please list them here. ;D

Top Bottom