• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Roster is cutting corners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EpicDark

Smash Rookie
NNID
EpicDark
http://kotaku.com/dont-expect-a-lot-of-third-party-characters-in-the-nex-513203533
According to this article, The next Smash Bros. on Wii-U will be limited to what the 3Ds version can hold.
http://www.officialnintendomagazine...-characters/?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=ONM-General-RSS
And according to this article (which is a little more dated), The character roster isn't going to be what many of us want-large. The possibility that smash bros for Wii-U has less characters than brawl makes me queasy. Characters are going to be cut out, and tears will be shed. Who do you want cut, if it must happen?

-Honestly, I wouldn't mind if Wolf was taken out, along with Lucas, R.O.B., and Jigglypuff. Ike? maybe. If Chrom is added, Ike will most likely leave.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
ok the 3ds wont limit the roster. a 3ds cartridge can hold 8 gb of memory. Brawl held just under that. but thats including all the other content that was in Brawl. so sufficient to say that the 3ds can hold all the characters. the only thing u should really worry about is that the 3ds is gonna have less content such as cinematics, trophies, stickers etc

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
As others have stated, it's not a matter of space but a matter of time. Supposedly nobody has been cut yet and it sounds like they are going to try their best to salvage as many people as they can given their deadline and budget.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
It isn't the 3DS which might limit the roster, it's the time in which they have to work on content that might limit it. They'll try their best including as many characters as possible, and we'll see how many they can get in with the time they have.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
It isn't the 3DS which might limit the roster, it's the time in which they have to work on content that might limit it. They'll try their best including as many characters as possible, and we'll see how many they can get in with the time they have.
As others have stated, it's not a matter of space but a matter of time. Supposedly nobody has been cut yet and it sounds like they are going to try their best to salvage as many people as they can given their deadline and budget.
ok the 3ds wont limit the roster. a 3ds cartridge can hold 8 gb of memory. Brawl held just under that. but thats including all the other content that was in Brawl. so sufficient to say that the 3ds can hold all the characters. the only thing u should really worry about is that the 3ds is gonna have less content such as cinematics, trophies, stickers etc
I think the OP's statement is just based on the words in the article:
"The reality of the situation unfortunately is that there are certain limitations on the 3DS," Sakurai said. The 3DS and Wii U versions of the next Smash Bros will have the same library of characters."
"So we're forced into the situation where we may need to reduce some characters to a certain degree. but we're really working hard in order to include as many characters as possible."
That could mean reducing characters to accommodate the 3DS (like ice climbers), or it could mean that the roster is limited by the 3DS limitations, as it says in the first sentence. I think they will try to get around it, but Sakurai is acknowledging it as a possibility.
Edit: Oh, and welcome to the boards! Thanks grizby2.

grizby2

Smash Lord
no one said it yet... huh..
welcome to the boards!

its not that the 3ds cant hold the characters, its things that wear away at its processing power (like having 2 olimars walking around with 6 pikmin each)
but as we've seen, olimar was confirmed, so maybe they're taking initiative and tackling down character that pose problems to 3ds hardware. for all we know, ice climbers may just as well be right around the corner! :)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
http://kotaku.com/dont-expect-a-lot-of-third-party-characters-in-the-nex-513203533
According to this article, The next Smash Bros. on Wii-U will be limited to what the 3Ds version can hold.
http://www.officialnintendomagazine...-characters/?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=ONM-General-RSS
And according to this article (which is a little more dated), The character roster isn't going to be what many of us want-large. The possibility that smash bros for Wii-U has less characters than brawl makes me queasy. Characters are going to be cut out, and tears will be shed. Who do you want cut, if it must happen?

-Honestly, I wouldn't mind if Wolf was taken out, along with Lucas, R.O.B., and Jigglypuff. Ike? maybe. If Chrom is added, Ike will most likely leave.

I highly disagree with that last statement, in many ways. Jigglypuff and ROB have a completely unique playstyle, with Wolf being only five moves away from being completely unique. I doubt they'd be cut. Same with Lucas, as he actually plays pretty differently from Ness (although a couple of changes would be nice).

And Ike does not have to be removed for Chrom to join. The two can easily get different movesets. All it takes is some creativity.

And the rest was covered by what other people said.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Just a quick recap.
  • Street Fighter 4 3D addition had 35 characters where Tekken 3D Prime Edition had 41 characters.
  • The file size for Street Fighter 4 is 1.65 GB. Tekken is a similar size. (There is a source out there somewhere)
  • 3DS game card can go up to 8 GB. The biggets game so far is Resident Evil: Revelations which was over 4GB.
Basically, the roster wont be impacted.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
I would honestly be willing to bet that the roster will be limited for whatever reason if not this.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Yeah, this has been discussed and speculated to the ground. In no way will either roster be impacted. At most, the 3DS may not have as much content such as trophies and music as Wii U. But the roster (most likely) will not be impacted in anyway.

EpicDark

Smash Rookie
NNID
EpicDark
I highly disagree with that last statement, in many ways. Jigglypuff and ROB have a completely unique playstyle, with Wolf being only five moves away from being completely unique. I doubt they'd be cut. Same with Lucas, as he actually plays pretty differently from Ness (although a couple of changes would be nice).

And Ike does not have to be removed for Chrom to join. The two can easily get different movesets. All it takes is some creativity.

Thanks for the welcomes!

The last statement was my opinion on who would be cut if the 3DS limited the character base in the next game. I'm aware now that won't be a problem. I wasn't questioning R.O.B's or Jiggly's uniqueness in any way, I just don't like them. As for Wolf and Lucas, I was concerned that their unoriginality would prevent them from being in the next game.

EpicDark

Smash Rookie
NNID
EpicDark

Thanks for the welcomes!

The last statement was my opinion on who would be cut if the 3DS limited the character base in the next game. I'm aware now that won't be a problem. I wasn't questioning R.O.B's or Jiggly's uniqueness in any way, I just don't like them. As for Wolf and Lucas, I was concerned that their unoriginality would prevent them from being in the next game. I'd be surprised if Ike was taken out, but I'd be okay with it.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Thanks for the welcomes!

The last statement was my opinion on who would be cut if the 3DS limited the character base in the next game. I'm aware now that won't be a problem. I wasn't questioning R.O.B's or Jiggly's uniqueness in any way, I just don't like them. As for Wolf and Lucas, I was concerned that their unoriginality would prevent them from being in the next game. I'd be surprised if Ike was taken out, but I'd be okay with it.
Oh wow, I didn't even notice you were new at first. Welcome. Ah, okay. I misunderstood the uniqueness thing. But I will say this, though, in regards to the Wolf thing. He's honestly a really unique character with a feral style. His specials are rezlly the only things not unique about him, and even then, they're pretty different. His normals are completely unique from Fox and Falco.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

I agree with this

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

Double post

I'm include the reasons why the 3 are fine wolf rob jigglypuff they all have unique game style

Jiggly fine due to being part of the new fairy type and probably going to get a couple of different moves so if jiggly puff gets a good fairy move that's worthy of a final smash bye bye blow up jiggly puff

Rob he just needs to nerd a tiny bit especially down smash and plus he's retro and in the list of most popular characters

And wolf every one is wrong about him he's not even close to a clone only 4 thing are similar side & up & down B and final smash nothing else matches falco nor foxes moves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom