• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Rivals

HenryXLII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HenryXLII
3DS FC
3153-3904-2933
Ever since I played Street Fighter 4, I have been a total sucker for rival battles in fighting games. (Shame not that many do them,) so when I saw that characters would have rivals in classic mode; I got really excited. Well we all know there are no pre set rivals in the game, but I still think it would be fun to come up with. I am following two rules

1. One rival per character
2. No rivals from the same series (:4mario: VS :4bowser:can happen in any game, smash rivalries should be special)

So here are the rivals I came up with

:4mario: VS :4sonic: (While they are not really rivals any more, you can't ignore this one, time for Sega and Nintendo to settle it outside of the Olympics!)

:4fox: VS :4myfriends: (Both of them are leaders of mercenary groups passed down by their father)

:4villager: VS :4jigglypuff:(Villager just cannot resist the urge to not pop balloons.)

:4wario: VS :4gaw: (Who has the better microgames?!)

:4pacman: VS :4yoshi: (Eating contest of the century)

:4kirby: VS :4megaman: (The two ability stealing heroes face off!)

:4palutena: VS :rosalina: (Battle of the goddesses!)

:4robinm: VS :4zelda: ( Can the master tactician outwit the one who wields the triforce of wisdom?!)

:4drmario: VS :4rob: (This may seem like a stretch, but both are from the NES era, and both are all about stacking things)

:4ganondorf: VS :4bowser: (Who is the baddest Nintendo baddie?)

:4ness: VS :mewtwopm: (Master of PSI VS Master of the mind)

:4falco: VS :4duckhunt: (Fighting for clear skies...... Also I think Falco would get the most annoyed from that laugh out of the entire cast)

:4shulk: VS :4lucina: (Both sword wielders, both fighting to change the future)

:4luigi: VS :4diddy: (Sidekick showdown)

:4olimar: VS :4charizard: (One of the most dangerous monsters the captain must face!)

:4metaknight: VS :4marth: (The two best swordsmen face off!)

:4link: VS :4pit: (Both are masters of utility and use a wide variety of tools)

:4sheik: VS :4greninja: (BATTLE OF THE SNEAKS)

:4falcon: VS :4samus: (The two intergalactic bounty hunters, both are never seen bounty hunting)

:4littlemac: VS :4wiifit: (Mac needs no other instructor than Doc!)

This is all I got right now without conflicting with ether of my rules. Process of elimination gives you some match ups that make no sense what so ever. If you got any other good ones share them! OR if you disagree with any than challenge it!

Last edited:

HenryXLII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HenryXLII
3DS FC
3153-3904-2933
since you didn't include peach i do not improve whatsoever :4peach:
I have a bit a trouble for Peach, just because there is no other character in the smash roster that really matches her. You could Argue Zelda because they are both constantly being kidnapped and are both princesses, but the two are such polar opposites its kind of hard to think of a scenario where they would be fighting each other.

_gold_

Smash Master
since you didn't include peach i do not improve whatsoever :4peach:
I have a bit a trouble for Peach, just because there is no other character in the smash roster that really matches her. You could Argue Zelda because they are both constantly being kidnapped and are both princesses, but the two are such polar opposites its kind of hard to think of a scenario where they would be fighting each other.
how about :4peach: VS :4dk:

Last edited:
I liked how they did this with short cutscenes in Soul Calibur II. Not every pair was reciprocal, though. Link's rival was Raphael, but not the other way around. It's a nice touch in fighting games when the characters have real, defined friends and enemies in the narrative, rather than every man for himself.

Anyway, Little Mac and Dedede seem like they'd be boxing ring rivals, to me, since they both hang out in them. Rehabilitating Wario the revolting slob would be a very personal mission for the Wii Fit Trainer. Ganondorf, the king of evil with plans to claim the world, would be an amusing match for Villager, the kid who just wants to water some plants. Just some ideas of mine.

Last edited:

Trekkerjoe

Smash Journeyman
:4drmario: vs :4rob:? More like :4rob: vs :4ganondorf:. Gannon has no qualms about genocide, so ROB, the last of his kind, must avenge his people.

And don't forget :4megaman: vs :4pacman:. Megaman fires pellets from his x-blaster. Pac man consumes pellets. Well this is gonna be interesting.

PF9

Smash Lord
In my fanfic universe, Link and Marth are rivals to the point where their feud is covered in media. Link has a general disdain for other swordsmen (or swordswomen starting in SSB4) outside of the Zelda universe, which is traced back to the fact that Link was the only swordsman in Smash 64 and the addition of Marth and Roy (and eventually, Meta Knight, Ike, Lucina, Robin, Shulk, and Mii Swordfighter) was seen by Link as muscling in on his territory. His feuds with Marth and Meta Knight are the most notable in my fanfic universe, the Marth feud has led to the two sponsoring rival food and drink companies, and the Meta Knight feud is based on the sheer stature difference between Link and MK but despite that, MK was way higher than Link on the Brawl tier list.

In contrast, he has seen Toon Link (and previously, Young Link), as a little brother, as Toon Link is an alternate version of Link (as is Young Link).

I have Link and Pit as best friends based mainly on the fact that they spent much of the SSE together as well as coming from lands where most modern conveniences are unheard of (in contrast to the Palutena reveal video and Pit's codec conversation about Link).

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Because I'm really bored, here's everyone:

:4mario:/:4sonic: Console war clash
:4luigi:/:4diddy: Sidekick smackdown
:4peach:/:4zelda: Princess punchup
:4charizard:/:4bowser: Fiery feud
:4yoshi:/:4bowserjr: Helper hostility
:rosalina:/:4zss: Space sortie/Blonde battle
:4wario2:/:4darkpit: Doppelganger dissension
:4gaw:/:4pacman: Retro rumble
:4dk:/:4olimar: Size difference skirmish/ Man and wild warfare
:4link:/:4marth: Swordsman slam
:4sheik:/:4greninja: Ninja nonsense
:4ganondorf:/:4palutena: Low tier lowdown Divine duel
:4tlink:/:4villager: Cartoon conflict
:4megaman:/:4samus: Arm cannon altercation
:4pit:/:4rob: Faith n science fight
:4myfriends:/:4shulk: Big blade bout
:4robinm:/:4mii: Avatar assault
:4kirby:/:4jigglypuff: Puffball pugilism
:4dedede:/:4wiifit: Fit vs. fat
:4metaknight:/:4lucina: Mask and sword mayhem
:4littlemac:/:4falcon: Punch pandemonium
:4duckhunt:/:4falco: Hunting hilarity
:4pikachu:/:4drmario: Defibrillation destiny
:4ness:/:mewtwopm: Mental massacre
:4lucario:/:4fox: Canidae carnage

Last edited:

PCHU

Smash Lord
I liked how they did this with short cutscenes in Soul Calibur II. Not every pair was reciprocal, though. Link's rival was Raphael, but not the other way around. It's a nice touch in fighting games when the characters have real, defined friends and enemies in the narrative, rather than every man for himself.

Anyway, Little Mac and Dedede seem like they'd be boxing ring rivals, to me, since they both hang out in them. Rehabilitating Wario the revolting slob would be a very personal mission for the Wii Fit Trainer. Ganondorf, the king of evil with plans to claim the world, would be an amusing match for Villager, the kid who just wants to water some plants. Just some ideas of mine.
I dunno about the Wario thing; if you've ever seen him in Wario Land 4, he's always working out during boss cutscenes, and even his Melee trophy noted his "herculean strength".
Then again, it looks like they're trying to erase any trace of Warioland Wario so they can shove his Warioware image down everyone's throats.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I dunno about the Wario thing; if you've ever seen him in Wario Land 4, he's always working out during boss cutscenes, and even his Melee trophy noted his "herculean strength".
Then again, it looks like they're trying to erase any trace of Warioland Wario so they can shove his Warioware image down everyone's throats.
Maybe not. Look at his overalls render here. His arms are more muscular than they've been before.

TheFlyingCule

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFlyingCule
3DS FC
3668-8782-5131
:4zss:vs:4wiifit: (Battle of the Athletic Ladies)
:4pikachu:vs:4sonic: (Battle of the quick rodents)
:4charizard:vs:4bowser: (Firebreathing Rivals)
:4pacman:vs:4kirby: (The Battle with no edges :smirk:)
:4darkpit:vs:4lucina: (Clone Wars!)
:4myfriends:vs:4shulk: (The Swordsmen with the most badass Sword)
:4villager:vs:4bowserjr: (Who's the biggest bag of tricks?)
:4zelda:vs:4palutena: (Magical girl fight)
:4falcon:vs:4littlemac: (Battle of Brawns)
:4robinm:vs:4drmario: (Battle of Brains)
:4lucario:vs:4fox: (A true Dogfight)
:4peach:vs:4villagerf: (Who's the real master of Turnips?)
:4rob:vs:4duckhunt: (The Forgotten fight)
:4sheik:vs:4zss: (Alter ego showdown)
:4megaman:vs:4samus: (The Blaster Battle)
:4metaknight:vs:4lucario: (The rivalry from SSE returns)
:4diddy:vs:4falco: (True King of Second Bananas)
:4ness:vs:4tlink: (Kid Fight)
:4yoshi:vs:4charizard: (Reptilian Rivals)

Last edited:

PCHU

Smash Lord
Maybe not. Look at his overalls render here. His arms are more muscular than they've been before.
True, but not only did they alter his nair in both sound and function (hardly chains into the second hit and I don't think it has that gameboy sound anymore), but they changed his fsmash to a backhand, eliminating the one WarioLand reference in his entire moveset (and making me sad, considering it was my favorite move of his).

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
True, but not only did they alter his nair in both sound and function (hardly chains into the second hit and I don't think it has that gameboy sound anymore), but they changed his fsmash to a backhand, eliminating the one WarioLand reference in his entire moveset (and making me sad, considering it was my favorite move of his).
Trust me, I know how you feel. Wario Land was a favorite of mine growing up and still is. Bothers me to see it get nothing save one music track (which is admittedly more than it had in Brawl) and having Wario's iconic (and useful) dash attack removed.

jaketheknight

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jaketheknight
3DS FC
4854-6438-8016
:4yoshi: vs. :4greninja: Put those toungues away!
(Side note: Samus is seen bounty hunting, as Metroid 2, Prime Hunters, and the beginning of Prime 3 are all bounty hunting missions.)

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I think that :4shulk: vs :4rob: is a good rivalry. Shulk, wielder of the Monado, slayer of Mechon, against the robot, AKA, the Mechon, R.O.B. Rob could even go further as to represent the Mechonis itself.
This. Before the :4shulk:trailer came out, I was really hoping that :4rob: would be in his trailer and there'd be Mechon confusion

Last edited:

Laniv

Smash Champion
:4mario: vs. :4sonic: (Obvious)
:4metaknight: vs. :4lucina: (My mask is cooler than yours)
:4drmario: vs. :4wario2: (Points if you get the reference)
:4luigi: vs. :4pacman: (Ghostbusters)
:4dedede: vs. :4wiifit: (Who are you calling fat?!)
:rosalina: vs. :4olimar: (Parents in space)

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Alternate Rivalries:

:4megaman:Vs.:4pacman: - Namco X Capcom, Street Fighter X Tekken, Project X Zone
:4sonic:Vs.:4megaman: - Project X Zone and Archie
:4palutena:Vs.:4ganondorf: - Goddess of Light Vs. King of Evil
:4wario2:Vs.:4darkpit: - Evil/anti-hero alter egos of heroes.
:4rob:Vs.:4duckhunt: - Never proceeded past the NES era.
:4zelda:Vs.:4lucina: - Zelda and Lucina fight each other over the topic of the "Hero of Time".
:4littlemac:Vs.:4diddy: - It's Diddy's turn to take on the WVBA champ!

Artryuu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Artryuu
3DS FC
5086-2093-6692
:4shulk: VS :4palutena: (A world with no need of gods!... if anyone gets that.)
:4yoshi:VS:4greninja: (My tongue is much better >,>)
:4gaw: VS:4pacman: (Senpai... notice me.)
:4ness: VS:4villager: (Who lives a much more regular life... )

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
:4littlemac:vs:4myfriends: Early game scrub fight Poster Boys of Anchor Arms
:4palutena:vs:4robinf: Waifu rumble Endearing Gals
:4pacman:vs:4megaman: Pellet feeder Newcomer 3rd Party Showdown
:4yoshi:vs:4charizard: Pokemon battle Wrath of the Dragons
:4luigi:vs:4diddy: Down Throw shenanigans Second Bananas' Rises to Fame
:4bowser:vs:4dedede: Comic reliefs Hail to the Kings
:4samus:vs:4falcon: Take off your suit Bounty Hunters Extraordinare

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
Took this from my Headcannon's post

Similarly to how Playstation All-Star Battle Royale had a rival pair for each character, I made a list for Smash Bros with some specific reasonings for some (only characters confirmed for SSB4 are being used here)

• :4mario: vs. :4sonic: - The two have always had a big rivalry in the video game industry, and despite them coming to terms in the more recent years, that doesn't mean that the two still don't duke it out.
  • :4dk: vs. :4bowser: - The whole King Kong vs Godzilla argument can be used here. Both are powerhouses and want to prove their power to each other.
  • :4link: vs. :4pit: - As shown in the Palutena trailer and in their Palutena temple "codecs", Pit envies Link a bit and considers him a rival. Both were also made in the same year.
  • :4samus: vs. :4megaman: - Suited bounty hunter with an arm cannon vs super fighting robot whom also wields an arm cannon. Their match ups have been made a few times prior to Smash as well.
  • :4yoshi: vs. :4charizard: - Both are dino-lizard hybrids with the ability to use their maximum power to become dragons. Charizard takes Yoshi lightly because of his cute nature as compared to his brutish nature
  • :4kirby: vs. :4pacman: - Simple really and similar to the Samus vs Mega Man situation. Both are rounded big eaters that normally have smiles on their faces.
  • :4fox: vs. :4sheik: - Throw back to their Brawl Emissary days. Both speedy, agile fighters.
  • :4pikachu: vs. :4tlink: - Honestly I ran out of ideas for this one, but both are in the cute category, and could be easily intimidated by foes, but have enough strength to take on the biggest of enemies.
  • :4luigi: vs. :4myfriends: - Luigi's cowardly personality contrasts
  • :4falcon: vs. :4littlemac: - Little Mac's punch may be mightier than the sword, but can it beat a Falcon Punch? Captain Falcon will put that to the test.
  • :4ness: vs. :4robinm:/:4robinf: - The boy with psychokinetic powers that wields his trusty bat and yoyo vs the tactitian with multiple magic tombs and their trusty Levin and bronze swords
  • :4jigglypuff: vs. :4ganondorf: - Cute and cuddly meets the villianous nasty. One of the opposite match ups, but whose to say a Fairy type can't hold her own against the King of Darkness?
  • :4peach: vs. :4zss: - The damsel in distress vs the lady with the guns. Peach's nice and nonthreatening behavior reflects from the cold warrior that is Samus, so she wants to proves herself.
  • :4zelda: vs. :4palutena: - Zelda is said to be chosen by the Hylian godesses to hold the triforce of wisdom, however Palutena, being a goddess herself, doesn't find Zelda good enough to hold it. (OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH!!!!!!)
  • :4marth: vs. :4shulk: - Based on Shulk's trailer, two skilled swordsmen, Shulk may seem to have the upper hand with his clairvoyant skill, but Marth could be a tricky fighter and can easily rush the younger swordsman.
  • :4falco: vs. :4lucina: - Another class of fast and agile fighters, Lucina isn't afraid of a loudmouth bird, so Falco is just gonna have to prove to this young lady who is boss.
  • :4gaw: vs. :4rob: - Both are a big part of Nintendo's history and are included for their "retro" aspect. Both were also never really actual characters where they came from, but accessories, as Mr. Game & Watch's games always had different black figures to be used as characters and R.O.B. was just an accessory. The two are also titled by Smash scrubs as joke characters of the game.
  • :4drmario: vs. :4darkpit: - Battle of the clones (aka I ran out of interesting ideas)
  • :4metaknight: vs. :4greninja: - Both are dark, mysterious fighters. Greninja chose to fight Meta Knight to see who would come out on top, but they ended in a draw.
  • :4wario: vs. :4wiifit:/:4wiifitm: - Unless it includes kickin' your heid, Wario is obviously not the one to be doing fitness excersizes or eat healthy, so the Wii Fit Trainers frown upon his behavior and often reccomend he watches his figure.
  • :4dedede: vs. :4villager:/:4villagerf: - A king vs a mayor. Their cute looks are nothing to underestimate either.
  • :4diddy: vs. :4bowserjr: - A similar trait to the larger and stronger counterparts, Diddy and Bowser Jr. share a rivalry that basically follows the rivalry.
  • :4olimar: vs. :rosalina: - As apart of the conquest mode vs, the two both use their friends, Pikmins and Lumas respectively to help them in their battles.
  • :4lucario: vs. :4duckhunt: - Both are apart of the canine family (Lucario being based off a anubis which has the head of a jackal, and Duck Hunt Dog being a...dog ._.), not counting Duck. Both also have heightened senses, Lucario with his aura and Dog and Duck synchronized with theirs (how else can the both of them dodge that tagline of their name in their trailer and the Hunter's shots)

Top Bottom