• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character-Move Specific Punishment

PortCity

Smash Ace
I saw this on the Lucas boards and I wanted you guys to post your ideas for punishment. The list is in a nice compact format, so someone new to a match up can get the quick run down. The format is the opponent's move first, then our responding move after blocking. Here is an example of Lucas's options to punish Wario:

Wario Punishment

Dair - Laugh at yourself for whiffing a punish
Fair - Laugh at yourself for whiffing a punish
Nair - Laugh at yourself for whiffing a punish
Uair - Laugh at yourself for whiffing a punish

Jab 1 - Hold shield up
Jab 2 - D-air
Dash Attack - U-smash
F-tilt - D-air
D-tilt - F-smash
U-tilt - F-smash (Near frame perfect)
F-smash - D-smash (I would suggest sheild grab though b/c of pushback)
D-smash - U-smash
U-smash - F-smash

Side-B - Hit him off :3
Up-B - Sheild and Punish Landing
Down-B - No info
Neutral-B - F-smash when he closes his mouth

Might be a good idea to fill in what you suspect that character would do in response to us doing that move. I checked the match-up threads and none of them contain this information, and definitely not in such a succinct format.

Gamer_Mason

Smash Apprentice
That's great and all, but those are all of Lucas's options... not Diddy Kongs. Diddy Kong and Lucas are too entirely separate characters, and I think that what would work for Lucas will not work for Diddy...

For what it's worth, I do think that this is something that could be looked into... but I think it should be left for the people who do this stuff because they really actually need to, because all the other top players do it.

One thing I can say is that when applicable, punish with a banana and follow through. But that's a given. Always the given...

PortCity

Smash Ace
Ummm....I was giving that as an example to get the ball rolling. I clearly say those are lucas's options on wario. As people contribute, if they so please, then i can update with the character and their move selection. And yeah, if you have a banana in your hand pressing "A" is almost a universal punish.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
i dont understand...explain this to me over aim when u get the chance pcity

PortCity

Smash Ace
pretty simple

in the example:

Wario DSmash - Lucas UpSmash

For us:

Wario DSmash - Diddy Charge F-Smash/D-Smash or w/banana start infinite :-P

I think this is a good exercise that will give quick responses to common moves and begin the process of knowing when we can start the infinite that you guys are all drooling over :)

FelixTrix

Smash Journeyman
this isn't really useful for diddy because everything would just be punishing with a banana. :D

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
Well, what happens when you don't have the banana at that very moment when you can find the opportunity to punish your opponent's moves?

PortCity

Smash Ace
:) .. I'm just gonna complete this list for myself and call it a day. Probably do the 10-15 characters I actually care about.

Top Bottom