• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Matchups?

Umby

Smash Master
So yeah, since it's inevitable that we'll need a character match up guide (unless a full guide will be updated into the two stickies in the Sonic forum), would it be efficient to share our thoughts on on certain matchups so that writers have a good reference to pull from?

Lyoncet

Smash Apprentice
From my limited experience:

Good: Bowser, DeDeDe, Marth, Samus, Zelda, Yoshi, Wolf

Bad: Kirby, Toon Link, Luigi, Olimar, Pikachu

Everyone else: not enough of an advantage/disadvantage to warrant counter status.

This is in no way set-in-stone, and personal mileage may vary. Metaknight deserves his own spot as one of the easiest matchups if it's a bad player and one of the hardest if he's good.

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
I find Ike pretty **** hard to beat.
Really? I find him on the easy side. Sonic is fast enough to get in range for an attack, before Ike actually completes an attack. This is one matchup where spindash is actually a good combo starter.

Spife

Smash Master
I play against a G&W that I have trouble beating (which means nothing, let me elaborate) and I've noticed that G&W has priority over everything, which I guess isn't new but it's really hard to get hits in. Just thought I'd share.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Good: Bowser, DeDeDe, Marth, Samus, Zelda, Yoshi, Wolf

Bad: Kirby, Toon Link, Luigi, Olimar, Pikachu

Disagree concerning Olimar. Sonic is very much able to get up close and personal and murders any attempt for Olimar to get to the edge. There really is no reason for you to be held away by an Olimar.

Toon Link and Luigi **** him priority wise. Kirby=aerial fighter so i think that means Jiggly puff would be a problem too.
Especially since her rollout out prioritizes him when its charged for only a second. @_@

SonicLucario

Smash Journeyman
I've found Shiek to be a problem at times.Olimar isn't that bad of a match up as long as he doesn't have purple pikmin which can stop spin dashes.

Eten

Smash Ace
Kirby inhaling up 1/2 of Sonic's approaches is hilarious.

I'm not sure if I agree on Zelda. I do agree on some of the rest of those. I have little experience w/ sonic, more experience against Sonic. Playing against Sonic feels almost completely different than any other match-up no matter who I am, so I find it really hard to judge.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Good: Bowser, DeDeDe, Marth, Zelda, Ness, Ike, Ganondorf
Bad: Metaknight, Lucas, Lucario, Kirby, Yoshi, Toon Link ( but who isn't, that kid is crazy).

ReiGun

Smash Cadet
I'm surprised so many people are listing Marth as good. I usually have trouble with him and his stupid sword strength/range. Could anyone offer up a little reasoning behind that, so I could what I'm doing wrong?

In my experience, match-ups usually are:
Good: Wolf, Ike, Zero Suit
Okay: Mario, Metaknight
Bad: Olimar, Lucario

These are the characters I've fought the most. I havent fought a good Pit or Dedede, but judging from the above posts, and what I've read elsewhere, they're apparently good match-ups.

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
I'm suprised no-one's listing Wario as bad. His Bite eats up half of his approaches, and that Bike murders Sonic twice over.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Wario's choppy attacks and incredibly tiny range make him very beatable/approachable. Jumping/rolling behind him to punish that bite is even easier than it was to avoid Kirby's inhale in Melee.

Top Bottom