• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Matchups influence Random Stage selection?

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Sorry if this has been discovered already, but has anyone noticed that the character matchups you pick can influence what stages you get on random.

Note: me and my brother here we only have tournament neutral stages on random, and we play no items, no time, four stock. These are the only settings on which we play, so I don't know how it will be on other settings.

But my brother almost always picks zelda. I usually go random.

About 90 percent of the time that I end up with Marth, Random sends us to Yoshi's Story.
About 90 percent of the time that I end up with Ganon, Random sends us to Pokemon Stadium
About 90 percent of the time that I end up with Samus, Random sends us to Dreamland.

Note: this only happens when my brother picks Zelda. I don't know what happens with other characters. and these three are the only ones that I noticed, there might be other patterns. Also, this only happens for the the FIRST match, like if I pick Marth 3 times in a row, Random sends us to many different stages. But the FIRST one always seems to be Yoshi's Story. I don't know if I'm crazy, but it seems like it happens much too often to be a coincidence.

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
You can't influence the ongoing random generator of the gamecube, by your character selection, or otherwise. It's completely impossible for what characters are selected to influence the probability of a given level from coming up.

However, it could be possible that the first random stage selected can be influenced by the characters that are selected or randomed.

While I think you're grossly over-estimating any possible such correlation, there is only one stage-random fact that I know for sure about:

If you add any levels to the random list, you'll keep getting the new levels until they've all come up once, then it will start with the other levels. The biggest problem with this is that tournaments that go from doubles to singles, and add Fountain of Dreams back, you are guaranteed to get FoD the first stage random.

The most likely thing that's going on is that you have N levels on random, and you play roughly N characters, so when you get back to one of them, the level random will be more likely to give that same level back to you, since it does avoid giving similar levels close to each-other.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
when im playing here, i play every character on the game except ness and yoshi.

i turned the game on today, and did a little half *** experiment

same settings.
did marth vs. zelda: battlefield.

ganon vs zelda: POKEMON STADIUM
samus vs zelda: DREAMLAND.

I powered off my gamecube and turned it back on.
same settings
ganon vs zelda: fd
samus vs zelda: DREAMLAND
marth vs zelda: YOSHI'S STORY

powered it off and on again.
i figured it may not do it for the very first random, so I did a throwaway match.
yoshi vs. zelda= pokemon stadium

I figured the machine tries to avoid doing the same stage on random twice, so I didn't pick ganon.
marth vs. zelda=YOSHI'S STORY
Samus vs. zelda= DREAMLAND

it maybe significantly less than 90 percent of the time, but there is almost certainly something going on here.
I'm going to do a more thorough experiement and i'll be back to yall.

other trends i've noticed is Ice Climbers vs. Zelda yields Yoshi's Story a disproportionate amount times and Mewtwo vs. Zelda yields Dreamland a disproportionate amount of times.

TyrantWolf

Smash Lord
lol as a peach player I get lulz'd by Random often. On the regular I get YS as random, I don't mind the level but it's still lolable.

The beauty of that is that you can stage ban those stages now :0 and get a repick.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Thank god for level ban in tourneys. I always get rid of battlefield, and just hope the guy doesn't pick pokefloats, I hate both those stages. Fountain slightly annoys me but thats about it. The rest of the stages are all good... green greens being my fave.

Off topic but I felt like replying to Tyrant wolf :)

And I think your theory is a coincidence, and phanna nailed it.

Deus

Smash Journeyman
I tried out the 100% chance to get a level you added on to random and it definetly wasn't happening 100% of the time for me. It did happen quite often but I tried it 20 times and 15 times it was the level I just added.

Edit: I just tried testing it again by putting all the stages on except for temple, made sure it saved, then I turned off the wii (not reset), turned it back on and put on temple and I didn't get temple

SCOTU

Smash Hero
It's not 100%, but the "random" does tend try to cycle through all stages before replaying one. I'm guessing that has to do with the adding a stage?

Azelf

Smash Cadet
Murphy's law: Random stage will always go in your opponent's favor.
Murphy's Law, logically, would be incorrect. It may appear that way, but if both players are influence by Murphy's law and use the random stage feature, the stage cannot obviously go into both of their favors. /thinking too much

You know, I wonder if anyone has ever tried to crack open Super Smash Bros. Melee's programming to see how certain things ticked. I think some people did for the Pokemon series.

Top Bottom