• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niala

Smash Ace
GIMMAY SUM. :mad088:

Is this roster for real guys? Is it everyone? I'm not even mad. I promise I won't scream at anyone. Just wanna know...

I lol'd. Nice names. Maybe we can get Nintendo to use one of them insteada that generic *** "Smash 3DS/Wii U" one.
Gema's stream just unlocked R.O.B. as the last character, a screen came up saying "You have now unlocked all the fighers! The true battle begins!" Or something like that. So yes, the roster is complete.

Zynux

Smash Lord
On http://www.twitch.tv/gema_yue the message popped up:
"Fighters are now all available, the true battle begins here!

True All-Star mode unlocked, defeat all the fighters!"

Yup, this is it boys and girls.

---

So much salt, wtf.

When we get awesome newcomers through the year everyone thinks it's the best game ever, but they stop giving them and suddenly the roster sucks? So ****ing ungrateful.
Yes, people are "ungrateful" because some are unsatisfied with the roster, even though they aren't being handed this game for free nor from a charity.

By that logic, I could claim your just being a complacent fanboy/girl (see? I can generalize too).

Yes, some people are being silly and overreacting, but don't generalize and instill how others should feel. Many people have different reasons for buying/playing games like these. They may seem silly to you, but these reasons are why some will buy/not buy a game for such reasons (like roster, content, gameplay, etc).

Last edited:

Dims

Smash Cadet

Yup. Full release roster. Lock gone.

I love the last line she wrote though xD

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
The roster doesn't suck, but there are some MAJOR holes that make me question the character decision process.

And yes, people have the right to complain about a roster that they don't like. Now, saying the roster sucks is very subjective but saying the roster is great is also subjective. Same boat different opinions.

AzureFlame4

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4811-6946-8468
The lack of a new DK rep is very disappointing. (as well as Paper Mario, but I never got my hopes up for that.) Still, I like most of the non-clone newcomers and if nothing else will enjoy just having Little Mac, Shulk and Robin.

CoolEric258

Smash Cadet
Hey guys. I just got back from school, and all the livestreams are hitting. I only saw one briefly that had Ness, Dark Pit, Wario, and Falco on it. Any other characters shown yet? Some not from the leak? Is it finalized?

?????????????

Smash Master
There's a couple things character-wise that do disappoint me, but overall, I'm satisfied with the roster. The only gripe I do have is about how easy it is to unlock everybody...oh well. That's not a huge issue.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
With the entire roster now being at our feet, I must say I am greatly dissapointed. We got some really cool unique characters, like Greninja and Rosalina, but......they shouldn't have taken priority over actual Nintendo All-Stars. I want to play Smash Brothers I grew up with. What is this? I don't even know. I mean, I'm gonna enjoy the hell out of it when it comes out.....but this feeling deep down won't change.

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
Sakurai confirmed for incredibly biased.
Want a new character?

Is it flamboyant and easy to turn into a clone?..No?

Then too bad, I don't like them.
Gonna add several 8bit characters no one gave a crap about, and still doesn't to this day.

Last edited:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Gema's stream just unlocked R.O.B. as the last character, a screen came up saying "You have now unlocked all the fighers! The true battle begins!" Or something like that. So yes, the roster is complete.
I'm a little disappointed there are only two gods on the roster (Villager + DHD). Oh well, you hype? :secretkpop:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I'm actually overall pretty satisfied. Weird. I only got one Nintendo character I genuinely wanted too.

Nice surprises in Bowser Jr, Duck Hunt and Robin. Guess that was enough to save it for me alongside Pac-Man. Pity about Wolf, Squirtle and Ivysaur though.

Minor nitpick; don't get why Alph didn't get his own slot if Lucina, Dark Pit and Doc did. You may as well have just had Alph in his own slot too.

SANCHOCO

Smash Apprentice
The salt is real lol

The roster is fine even without wolf(T___T)and lucas(I hated IC, not because of cheapness or anything, I just didn't like them in general, but that's just me). We have 49 characters(3 clones, 51 if you count mii gunner, and swordfighter), That is 12 more than brawl.

You guys hyped yourselves up on speculation alone(hell, I even believed too, but I didn't let it affect to the point of disappointment after gema's stream). I had no doubt in my mind about Ridley being only a stage hazard and not as a playable character. Mewtwo was the only one I held my hope out for, but finding out he wasn't, oh well.

Well, this is just my viewpoint on the whole matter(obviously purely subjective). Just a lot of salt everywhere because certain characters people wanted were deconfirmed and certain veterans didn't come back(which I can understand more than wanting the hype 3)

ShrekItRalph

Smash Ace
The smasher comes from the bottom of the arena
I think anyone expecting more than the leaked roster was just setting themselves up for disappointment.

In the end I really do like how this roster turned out. Even if I didn't get everyone I wanted, some of the cut vet's are a shame to loose and I am pretty ambivalent to the clones. All the new characters have gotten me excited about me playing them and that's the best thing a new character can do.

?????????????

Smash Master
Minor nitpick; don't get why Alph didn't get his own slot if Lucina, Dark Pit and Doc did. You may as well have just had Alph in his own slot too.
My guess is that they simply ran out of time for that. They prioritized giving Doc, Pittoo, and Lucy their own slots above Alph.

I here by motion that shigeru miyamoto take over as director, sakurai is too biased.
Don't they have enough Mario characters?

Last edited by a moderator:

Xandercage

Smash Rookie
The only thing that I could think that would make the unlocking better would be if on the WiiU it is harder to unlock and less characters are available at the start. I can see that perhaps to make the 3DS version more fun at the start they expanded the starting roster. I'm hoping the more characters are locked and their criteria for unlocking changes for the WiiU. Ideally I'd like the starting roster for the WiiU to be:

Mario
Peach
Bowser
Yoshi
Rosalina
DK
Diddy
Link
Zelda
Shiek
Samus
ZSS
Pit
Palutena
Marth
Robin
Kirby
Dedede
Little Mac
Fox
Pikachu
Charizard
Greninja
Villager
Olimar
Wii Fit
Megaman
Sonic

That gives a good starting roster with 20 unlocks. Almost 1/3 of the roster needs to be unlocked. Ideally, that would be my starting roster for the WiiU

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
No Dixie, yet again. :(
I can't believe DK only has two reps, why does Sakurai hate the series? I'm so sad.
At least I get to play as Palutena.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
The only thing that really bugs me is no Mewtwo. I really wanted K. Rool and Ridley, but I can understand why they wouldn't be added, with Mewtwo he everything going for him and really had nothing going against him. The only reason people came up with for why he might not be in was that Sakurai wouldn't want to bring back cut characters, but Dr. Mario returning disproves that.

?????????????

Smash Master
Not too disappointed, since I saw this coming.

Villains getting shafted again is the worst thing about the roster, in my opinion.
Personally, the thing that bugs me the most is no new DK characters. Out of all the represented series, that one has the largest pool of good, missing characters. Why does Kirby have Kirby, Meta Knight, and Dedede (pretty much their entire main cast), while DK only has DK and Diddy? True, those two appear far more often then any other DK character, but Meta Knight's missed out on a lot of Kirby games himself.

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
Ice climbers-removed
Star fox-loses character and no new stage
Earthbound-loses character
Metroid-character teased, but not added
DK-no new content
Pokemon-loses two reps and popular request left out
Zelda-unchanged clones
Mgs-content completely removed

Please attempt to understand the salt. People have spent a lot of time and energy following this game and have been let down hard.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
To be quite honest, this isn't disappointing at all.

The only reason people had hopes for more characters from these streams to begin with was because some of the people involved with the "real leak started saying there were more characters to come, that the leaked roster pic wasn't everyone.

Turns out it was false, and that leaked picture was the whole roster after all. Now people are getting their expectations crushed, since they let themselves get hopeful due to that accursed leak. I honestly wish it never happened now.

As for me, I didn't really buy the second part of the leak that stated there was more to come.

I hope everyone else got their favourites. Rosalina, Palutena and Mega Man were among my most wanted characters for the game. Rosalina in particular, has been someone I wanted since the Brawl days, and is honestly the addition I least expected until very close to her reveal. Not only that, but Lumas are integrated heavily into her playstyle, and they are my favourite "race" character in Mario! So I'm extremely happy I got these characters.

I've wanted Professor Layton too, but I became doubtful for him after E3 anyway. And while I had some hope for Rayman after that trophy, it's not too big a deal (still annoyed that they tease us by putting him in the game as a trophy, though).

As for veterans, all of the cuts from Brawl are a little bittersweet (since none of them were complete clones like the majority of cuts from Melee), mostly Wolf, Ice Climbers, and Snake for me. But at least I got Sonic, Toon Link, Lucario, and Ike back (four veterans I was worried about at some point).

SANCHOCO

Smash Apprentice
I
Alph plays EXACTLY the same as olimar. Literally if he used rock pikmin, stronger attacks,then he would get a character slot(as funny/stupid as that sounds

Lucina-Balanced blade(I didn't see the stream when they unlocked her, so I'm not sure if there is anything else like being faster)
Dr. Mario-Stronger, pills, tornado instead of FLUDD
Dark Pit- PURPLE ARROWS:awesome:, diagonal up special(someone correct me on this, hamayama used up b with regular pit and it was vertical, I don't know if you can change the direction), certain moves are slightly different

TL;DR they had slight alterations to their stats/movesets that it warranted a character slot, Alph doesn't have any stat/moveset changes so he is literally just an alt.

Last edited:

FalcoPaunch!121

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5386-9681-7388
Why does life the roster suck?

I really will enjoy using Bowser Jr., as he was one of my most wanted newcomers, but Wolf, Lucas, Icies cut? NO. '___'

However, I rejoice on the return of Ridley (as a stage boss, that is; yesss!), G&W and ROB.

As for newcomers, I want Impa, Mewtwo, Sceptile, K. Rool, Isaac, MKIII, Dixie, Kumatora, Claus, Quote, Toon Zelda, Rayman, Lloyd Irving, Anthony, Sylux, Hawlucha, Geno, Cpt. Toad, Knuckles, Tails, some 4th party, Mrs. Pac-man, Ashley, Cpt. Syrup, Monita, Balloon Fighter, and Hades for DLC.

?????????????

Smash Master
All this hashing on the roster, come on guys, just because certain characters aren't there doesn't mean the roster is bad..
No, not at all! The roster ultimately adds characters, and the characters choices they made all offer very interesting, very good playstyles. This is really set up to be an awesome game.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I feel bad for some of the Brawl veterans, but what I don't get is why Dr. Mario and Dark Pit got higher priority than Mewtwo and Wolf.

Zynux

Smash Lord
All this hashing on the roster, come on guys, just because certain characters aren't there doesn't mean the roster is bad..
Personally, I think the roster is fairly solid but I also think it's flawed a bit. Don't see anything wrong with that personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom