• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Anyone else watching Dark Pit in the Gema twitch stream? I'm really struggling to see how he ever justified his own character slot. Maybe I'm missing something but he looks practically identical.
Bias bias bias. Just kidding, not.
Probably a similar situation as Lucina, but I'm still puzzled why they chose him and not Alph. Even the PotD says that he doesn't use the Rock Pikmin. Which, if they wanted another character, they just answered the question upon how he could be different than Olimar.

Last edited:

Hot Uncle Sparky

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4356-0645-2703
Anyone else watching Dark Pit in the Gema twitch stream? I'm really struggling to see how he ever justified his own character slot. Maybe I'm missing something but he looks practically identical.
If he's grouped with Lucina and Dr. Mario, then it's probably minor very minor things, the difference is that he's just a glorified recolor. I fail to any conclusion other than favoritism.

Last edited:

zauberdragon

Smash Journeyman
A number of his tilts and his F-smash look different. Can't tell much on the aerials.

His Elecroshock is electrical in property and has much more vertical knockback than Upperdash Arm.

His Silver Bow has faster flying arrows that don't bend as easilly, may do more damage.

Haven't seen Up or Down B nor a final smash.
His down B is the two shields, one in front and one behind and his up b is the same as Pit's new one.

Burruni

Smash Hero
His down B is the two shields, one in front and one behind and his up b is the same as Pit's new one.
So his vertical specials are the same. Hmm.

Well, I won't argue that he's incredibly clone-y. I was hoping he'd revolve around Staff, Cannon, and Palm weapon types from Uprising. Probably would end up sharing the up and down special in my vision anyways.

But this is still kinda sad.

Also hell yes Wario looks better in this build.

zauberdragon

Smash Journeyman
So his vertical specials are the same. Hmm.

Well, I won't argue that he's incredibly clone-y. I was hoping he'd revolve around Staff, Cannon, and Palm weapon types from Uprising. Probably would end up sharing the up and down special in my vision anyways.

But this is still kinda sad.

Also hell yes Wario looks better in this build.
Hopefully he's got enough to distinguish him but of all the clones thus far (Dr mario, Lucina and Dark Pit) he's the one I'm least keen on.

Wario's looking great and I've finally caught the new mother stage which looks fantastic.

Last edited:

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
Definitely my new main, can't wait to troll my friends with him :troll:

EDIT: Loving the music on the Punch-Out stage :awesome:

EDIT #2: Inb4 PETA rants about the game for having Duck Hunt Dog :glare:

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
So, I'm unable to watch the streams currently. Any news on Mr. Game & Watch and how he is in this installment? Or any changes made to other characters?
Dr. Mario shoots a giant stream of pills as his FS.

...I joked about that earlier, but didn't think it was going to be real.
WOW! You CAN'T be serious! ...... lol

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
So, I'm unable to watch the streams currently. Any news on Mr. Game & Watch and how he is in this installment? Or any changes made to other characters?

WOW! You CAN'T be serious! ...... lol
Dead serious.

G&W is basically his Brawl self (which is far from a bad thing), but he seems a tad faster. His smashes appear to have been nerfed slightly, but they're still hella powerful.

Zynux

Smash Lord
Looks like Neo's Source on more characters turns out to be wrong. The source claimed that Dark Pit is a semi-cloned (which is wrong, Dark Pit is a clone as it gets) and completely got Duck Hunt's final smash wrong (source said it would work similar to Snake's).

...is it really all Ogre over now?

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Dead serious.

G&W is basically his Brawl self (which is far from a bad thing), but he seems a tad faster. His smashes appear to have been nerfed slightly, but they're still hella powerful.
That's beyond displeasing regarding Dr. Mario.
Brawl G&W was one of my favorite characters so I'm glad that he retained most of his Brawl elements.

So, I take it no other characters outside the leak have appeared? :sadeyes:

Xandercage

Smash Rookie
Did anyone catch Bowser Jr's unlock requirements? One stream has him and just got Dr. Mario when the other has Dr. Mario but now Bowser Jr.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Jiggly has decent dash speed.
Solid aerials.
And rest isn't utterly terrible.

I'm so relieved. This combined with Wario's usage at least assures me I can still use these 2 to some great work.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Spoiler about an already known secret newcomer
(classic mode ending screen)

that Kirby

Cpt.

Smash Lord
So far all I've seen different b/w Pit and Dark Pit is the arrows. They have the same A moves and Smashes. I never saw his up or down B though.

Zynux

Smash Lord
Most likely. Though check the last page of the Mewtwo thread for something interesting.
If it's about Zipzo, I heard that he was being misled hard. Or at least that's the general consensus on it.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Koopalings confirmed. Man, it's like having eight characters in one. I love this. Even their voices change. Final Smash is Shadow Mario.
Really???

Cause if that's right, that's the BEST way I ever imagined having Bowser Jr!
No wonder he's in the clown car, it's much easier to swap models with him if he's in an object with hit boxes of its own (since all Koopalings have slightly different builds).

-

Anyway, it's been a great run. Still holding out for that "unlocked every character" message.
Crossing my finger ISAAC is among them.
And I really hope Mike Jones gets a trophy this time around. :( Like... please. It's about time they MENTIONED StarTropics.

Burruni

Smash Hero
So. When it comes to what's been revealed so far, as a recap.

Veterans
:falco::ganondorf::jigglypuff::gw::ness2::wario:/:warioc: confirmed.
Most are Brawl style with general buffs, Mr.G&W's smashes may have been a bit nerfed. Jigglypuff is a little weaker than Melee.

:drmario: is real. Has a different d-Special and D-air. His final Smash is the Mario Finale with Mega Megavitamins.

Newcomers
:evil::4pit: is VERY cloney. Different properties on at least Neutral and Side B.
F-Smash and some aerials look different. Very briefly seen.
No Final Smash seen. But a fair disappointment.
:083::058: is basically Pac-Man in the fact that he has okay a moves, is fairly slow, and summons classic (NES) characters/items for a number of his moves. His Smash attacks are gun shots right next to him.
His final Smash is a cinematic of a Gunman shootout.
:213: Boswer Jr. Confirmed. Koopalings are the 7 outfits. Nothing about gameplay that I know of.

I think that's it.

Omega-Smasher

Smash Cadet
To be honest, I'm disappointed by the complete roster.

I don't like the inclusion of Dark Pit and Dr. Mario seeing as that's just rehashing clones of two other characters. Ganondorf seems to be unchanged in terms of gameplay. Also Only two villains (One of which is a rehash) make the list as newcomers. There is a lack of villains in the roster which I'm angry about. And yes, there are no new characters from either the Zelda, Metroid and Star Fox franchises while the Mario franchise is expanded to 7 characters. That is sadistic (To me at least). I hate Pac-Man being in the game, but that's my opinion so I'll just leave that alone. I don't like the roster because:

A: Barely any new villains (Only 2) are newcomers.

B: The Mario Series (Not counting the Sub Series) gets 7 characters while Zelda, Metroid and Star Fox get no newcomers (Despite high votes from Ridley, Krystal and Ghirahim...).

C: Two more characters who appear to be clones from other Characters (Mario/Dr. Mario and Pit/Dark Pit)

Overall, I'm kinda sad that the roster sucks. It didn't really impress me much. Only Mega-Man, Little Mac, Shulk and Bowser Jr. seemed to be appealing to me.

And yes, I have no intention of a flame war. This is my own opinion...

Hot Uncle Sparky

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4356-0645-2703
Nope. I think it's a pretty safe bet that the leaked roster+Miis is the final one.
But there's a reason the rest of the characters weren't in the leak! they're just harder to get!

I got some extra straws here, want some?

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I'm still salty about DARK PIT getting in instead of a far cooler dark character.... DARK SAMUS.

Ok, I know I can technically play as her through a recolor... But seeing the AT in action, I just can't help but thinking... "That could have worked!"

A faster, semi-clone of Samus with phazon attacks all around. (Funny reading myself writing this, because back in Brawl days, I HATED the idea of Dark Samus).

Even as a full clone, with different energy properties would have sufficed for DS.
But Dark Pit is ridiculous... :(

Oh well, nothing to add on how much I hate his inclusion. I'm still extremely pleased with the roster so far.
And Bowser Jr. having Koopaling alts only made this MUCH sweeter!

Burruni

Smash Hero
Not yet...

http://www.twitch.tv/gema_yue

Is missing 2 characters (Bowser Jr. and R.O.B) and i think there's someone else that have Bowser Jr. but is missing like other 3 character so no
After Junior and ROB, that takes us to the ESRB Leak + Mii Fighters.

Meaning 4 slots instead of 5.

With Wolf deconfirmed by his trophy, the best to hope for, personally: :popo::icsmelee:,:lucas:, and two unique newcomers. I'd LIKE to see Marshal/Bandana Dee, but to appease people technically it could be :mewtwopm: and Chorus Kids.

Edit: Now seeing the changes to Ness (DEAR GOD THAT PK FLASH SPEED)... my hope for Lucas just plummeted.

Last edited:

Maxilian

Smash Ace

Yeah..

With Wolf deconfirmed by his trophy, the best to hope for, personally: :popo::icsmelee:,:lucas:, and two unique newcomers. I'd LIKE to see Marshal/Bandana Dee, but to appease people technically it could be :mewtwopm: and Chorus Kids.
I wouldn't say Wolf is deconfirmed cause Gema got a Samus and Link trophy (before finishing the game with those character), also i would say that :lucas: is deconfirmed cause it looks that many of his attacks are :ness2: costums attacks now :drsad: (can't confirm the last part)

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I wouldn't say Wolf is deconfirmed cause Gema got a Samus and Link trophy (before finishing the game with those character), also i would say that :lucas: is deconfirmed cause it looks that many of his attacks are :ness2: costums attacks now :drsad: (can't confirm the last part)
I don't think Wolf would be using his Assault appearance if he was playable though. Fox and Falco maintained their Brawl appearances, so Wolf would have to follow the same path.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

Edit: Now seeing the changes to Ness (DEAR GOD THAT PK FLASH SPEED)... my hope for Lucas just plummeted.
Honestly, Lucas and Ice Climbers are HIGHLY unlikely. Isaac is far more likely right now than either Lucas or IC's, due to the fact that the grand majority of AT's from Brawl are back with Isaac being only one of two yet unaccounted for (if what I'm hearing is correct).

Burruni

Smash Hero
Yeah..

To be quite honest, I wanted Lucas kept in because of him embodying Mother 3 more than anything else. I know he was quite different than Ness in a number of moves, but I never had a particular attachment to them as fighters.

My hope remains for Icies, I really don't care about ROB at this point.. even though he's all-but-confirmed. They felt much more flushed out as a character than ROB. They're faces of Smash at this point...

I've voiced a number of times about my stance about Mewtwo, and the rest of the "Big Three" alongside Dixie and Impa.

These final moments are about me being selfish, and I know it. But this is the kind of feral tension that these leaks brings us to.

Gimme the Dee and a RH character!

Edit: Ness classic clear... Lucas is basically deconfirmed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom