• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If Captain Falcon isn't in Super Smash Bros....whos gonna take his place to acquire the mighty Falcon Punch & Captain Fabulous?

:ganondorf:

Oh right...
Given all the other characters experiencing notable changes, I'd be very surprised if Ganondorf didn't get his fair share of alterations.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
This direct got me thinking...

How big do you think the roster will be this time?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Glad to see I'm not the only one adding a 6th Zelda character. I'd also recommend adding another Mario character, since he should have as many as Zelda and Pokemon.
Honestly, I won't, as there aren't any characters to add that would feel forced in, you know?

I also just realized I have to hate Greninja now because he isn't Hawlucha.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Well, if you would've held back on the reply you probably would've realized someone already addressed that without the images.

But, y'know.
Excuse me for this thread going a mile a minute. Watch the attitude mister.

It does sound like entitlement. We've gotten two of the most popular characters for this game so far. And besides, if you guess the roster 100%, how much fun is that?

bryanoid

Smash Cadet
It's really not entitlement. Ironic part is? I don't want Chrome. I don't want Palutena like everyone else.

I just want some kind of fan feedback to be heard. Like I said, I'm still buying this game. I just can't be excited anymore. There was a time where I was defending Sakurai, but god damn can we at least get shown one hugely fan requested character.

You can't tell me he doesn't know, either. And god willing, I'm proven wrong. Maybe he'll surprise me, and throw in a ton of fan favorites that have been wanted for how many games. But it's also just comparison. Maybe it's because, I've been pampered with other "fighting" games. Ed Boon, with Mortal Kombat and Injustice heavily listened to the crowd. The game turned out even better because fans got who they want.

I don't know. It is his game. It's still going to be great. But it irritates the **** out of me. Not because of who it is, but because it just felt like another "WTF LOL SHOCKER" add on that just wasn't needed.
I agree with you on Chrom and to a lesser extent, Palutena, hehe.

But he is listening to the fans. Online's improved. 3DS Adventure mode is fan-service galore. No longer generic enemies.

I don't care much for Pokemon but Greninja (from the most recent pokemon game) is a logical choice to replace Squirtle (yet another gen 1 pokemon). I'm willing to bet the one to replace Ivysaur is a hugely fan requested character, even if he might be from the same generation because he'll be updated to represent the update he received in X & Y.

Not all has been shown yet, there's bound to be some secrecy involving what you can unlock in this game until it's actually released.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Please tell me nobody ACTUALLY believes Ridley is still happening....I'm crying now.
It's Sakurai's trolling.
Today he showed what he is truly capable of in doing fake-out confirmations.
He blatantly said "Unfortunately, Zero-Suit Samus will not be returning in the next Super Smash Bros. game" while it showed ZZS's Brawl artwork fading into black-and-white.
Then it goes back to color as he says "Naaaa, I'm just kidding. She's coming back."

This was the most obvious troll he's ever made. He specifically said a character isn't returning IN AN OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT and then said "JUST KIDDIN'!"

The fact that he showed Ridley's shadow, and not his actual body could mean something. Yes, you could argue that he didn't show his body to make it more ominous, and to get people on their toes, but others believe that Sakurai strategically did it, so since he wasn't actually showing Ridley himself, he wasn't making an official character reveal and wouldn't have to say that he is playable.

Playable or not, we'll most likely find out at E3. If not, then in the Summer, when the game comes out.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Isn't the fact that Pit now has the Sacred Treasures and we were trolled with a Pseudo Palutena trophy enough proof that Palutena is getting in?

Dropkick JD

Unexpected Smash God
Excuse me for this thread going a mile a minute. Watch the attitude mister.

It does sound like entitlement. We've gotten two of the most popular characters for this game so far. And besides, if you guess the roster 100%, how much fun is that?
..I don't know, a roster with all most wanted fan favorites sounds pretty fun to me. That's practically what Injustice ended up being. Was pretty fun.

I just need to go with Bryanoid's advice. Maybe it's because it was two damn Pokemon "newcomer" updates in one Direct. Maybe it's because it just felt so pointless to me. I don't know. I'll get over it.

Still think it's absolutely worthless and putting Ridley as a boss is a slap to the face to how many fans.

Dropkick JD

Unexpected Smash God
It's Sakurai's trolling.
Today he showed what he is truly capable of in doing fake-out confirmations.
He blatantly said "Unfortunately, Zero-Suit Samus will not be returning in the next Super Smash Bros. game" while it showed ZZS's Brawl artwork fading into black-and-white.
Then it goes back to color as he says "Naaaa, I'm just kidding. She's coming back."

This was the most obvious troll he's ever made. He specifically said a character isn't returning IN AN OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT and then said "JUST KIDDIN'!"

The fact that he showed Ridley's shadow, and not his actual body could mean something. Yes, you could argue that he didn't show his body to make it more ominous, and to get people on their toes, but others believe that Sakurai strategically did it, so since he wasn't actually showing Ridley himself, he wasn't making an official character reveal and wouldn't have to say that he is playable.

Playable or not, we'll most likely find out at E3. If not, then in the Summer, when the game comes out.
...He showed Ridley's wing.

Broodlaw

Smash Cadet
NNID
Broodlaw
Switch FC
SW-0613-0942-5903
Although its highly unlikely we'll end up seeing Ridley unless Sakurai is crafting some troll magic like there has never been before concerning this game, I'm still holding out hope...

Anywho I thought the Direct was great, Getting Zero Suit Samus and Sheik as their own separate characters gives them a lot more viability and also allow for them to become very diverse as Sakurai demonstrated with their cosmetic changes and moveset changes. And that Greninja announcement literally came from the other side of the galaxy for a pick like that. And he looks to be counter heavy which is nice, we needed another stealthy fighter and for it to be a Pokemon makes it all the sweeter.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Greninja looks freaking awesome!

I'm curious to see what his explanations are for including him, but I like the way he plays.

I have no idea about roster size though. We're at 29 right now, and the game is coming out this summer. I think 45-50 is still a nice guess (which would be 8-13 newcomers considering Squirtle and Ivysaur are pretty much gone).

Louie G.

Smash Hero
@ Dropkick JD Dropkick JD
Do you really want to be "that guy"?
The guy that everyone remembers for being butthurt because of a character he didn't want?
Because you already are that guy, good job.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I always fret that Sakurai would prioritize a new Pokemon simply for being a newcomer as I've stated many times every now and then. And I'm not sad that I'm correct. I just think it's bull **** if Mewtwo doesn't get in. Not AT ALL because I like him, but because it doesn't make any sense for such an important character to be absent.

Also, I'm actually thinking about bringing back Diskun. Sakurai has shown to be very creative and good at bringing in strange source material to make a unique move set, and having not the most important characters for his own reasons.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Isn't the fact that Pit now has the Sacred Treasures and we were trolled with a Pseudo Palutena trophy enough proof that Palutena is getting in?
Yes.
What about Sakurai ignoring the Kritters and leaving them off to the side when listing off all of the iconic enemies in Smash Run?
Is that decent evidence for K. Rool?

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
Between the release of Pokemon X and Y in October and now, how finalized was Sakurai's roster? Unless they predicted that Greninja would've been the most popular 6th gen starter and began development of his character before the release of X and Y, Greninja seemed to have been most likely developed between the time of X/Y and this Direct.

Dropkick JD

Unexpected Smash God
The guy that everyone remembers for being butthurt because of a character he didn't want?
Are you an immature child? Can you not tell the difference between let down, and butt hurt?

Obviously you are, when you still use the term "butt hurt" in any type of discussion. I made a reasonable post, you still went after me? Are you mad because I'm not excited about the random frog ninja inclusion, neither are how many others who left after that Direct?

Plus, did you read my posts, or can't you read either? I mentioned half the characters I mentioned aren't the ones I wanted, either. It's more so, a game that tends to have more huge fan requested characters tends to be a bit more fun, i.e. Injustice/MK.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Also, New Zero Suit Samus and Bayonetta are so hot beyond comprehension...but the moles!!!!! They're gross!!! WHAT ABOUT MOLES ARE ATTRACTIVE!?!?!?!?!?
Besides Muddy's wife, but she's a **** anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
I just think it's bull **** if Mewtwo doesn't get in. Not AT ALL because I like him, but because it doesn't make any sense for such an important character to be absent.
Hear, hear.

No, that was D-Idara. (about Ridley)

And I have a question.

Assuming that a grass-type Pokemon starter is also revealed as a playable standalone character, who do you think it would be? I'd go for Sceptile out of bias.

-----

Last edited:

pikachugamer21

Smash Journeyman
well it looks like people are abandoning smashboards due to their disappointment with the direct but don't worry everyone I am sticking around

Dropkick JD

Unexpected Smash God
Sorry if I was being unreasonable.
Just know that Greninja isn't the end of the world.
The roster isn't done yet, so there's still room for fan favorites.
It's fine, just don't keep the childish argument going. No need for it. Just a bit confused, if anything.

I'll honestly put it out there. I'm not huge on Pokemon. I was just honestly fine with Pokemon Trainer, Pikachu, and Mewtwo. I would've been satisfied. And it's not like I don't want Greninja. What I never wanted was Fire Emblem sword reps, for example. We had enough of those. It's just.. confusion.

Like, out of anything else. I tried to watch it and get hyped for him, but I couldn't. Lil Mac had me go "wtf" but I still got pumped at least by watching the trailer. Greninja? I just.. watch the trailer and I just can't get over the let down after seeing him.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
And I have a question.

Assuming that a grass-type Pokemon starter is also revealed as a playable character, who do you think it would be? I'd go for Sceptile out of bias.

-----
If we're going out of popularity, either Sceptile or Serperior, the former more wanted in my opinion.

I actually have a question. Will we still be having a General Direct this month or no?

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
...He showed Ridley's wing.
Even better.
He only showed part of him, as even more of a hint.

And hasn't anyone noticed that Ridley is actually MOVING like he is playable? He is moving rather slow, and with a continuous "flap-flap-flap-flap" rate with his wings.
If he were a boss, he'd be moving like friggin' lightning! You would see his shadow shoot across the screen in a somewhat-cinematic way, instead of seeing his wings flap in a steady Pit-Brawl way.
This, in my opinion, is the biggest flaw in the idea that Ridley will be a boss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom