• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
DLC wishlists?

My top two:

Third most wanted:
King K. Rool

Veterans:
:popo::wolf::lucas::pt:

Others that would be nice:
Dixie Kong
Lip
Inkling

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
I was gonna do a tier list based on how much I want these characters, but screw it. It's a wishlist anyway:

- Isaac
- Wolf
- Snake
- Inkling
- Impa
- K. Rool
- Dixie Kong
- Wonder Red
- Rayman
- Fiora Seven

Who I wish was playable:

DLC wishlists?

My top two:

Third most wanted:
King K. Rool

Veterans:
:popo::wolf::lucas::pt:

Others that would be nice:
Dixie Kong
Lip
Inkling
Where can I find that Snake render in your sig? It's too good to pass up!

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
As I said before, my actual wishlist is basically my signature.

Except for all the characters who are actually in the game, of course.
Note that I care about Captain Toad significantly less if he doesn't have Toadette as an alt, and I want Wolf Link and Midna way more than just Midna.

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
I edited my signature to include a favorite quote from a truly great man.

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
I love you too.

Also, in all seriousness, I don't know why everyone has such a negative opinion of the speculation period. It it probably one of the most enjoyable times of my life and it's legitimately depressing for me that it has ended.
Yeah the speculation period was great. Back then, everyone would furiously argue in favor of their characters no matter how unlikely they were, and I loved that.

In fact, I joined Smashboards mainly to speculate and spread Plasm Wraith propaganda so seeing the DLC speculation restricted to only a few characters is disappointing.

On a different note, today is my one year Smashboards anniversary. It does not feel like it's been a year since I joined.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
On a different note, today is my one year Smashboards anniversary. It does not feel like it's been a year since I joined.
I joined on Christmas Eve, so that's pretty exciting. A bit melancholy to think it's been a year and everything has changed?
The predecessor to this thread, lead by @Scoliosis Jones was like a home to me, even with all of the pointless arguing.

RobinOnDrugs

I love you too.

Also, in all seriousness, I don't know why everyone has such a negative opinion of the speculation period. It it probably one of the most enjoyable times of my life and it's legitimately depressing for me that it has ended.
I know right? I'm still bitter over Ghirahim being an assist trophy.

One of the best parts of speculating is when the rumors show up and everybody tries to make sense out of them, while at the same time, provide evidence as to why it's fake. Though there has been times where some straw grasping has gone a little too far. The Ridley speculation looked pretty crazy despite the end results, and let's not forget the infamous Little Mac and Shulk comparisons. I don't think speculation has ended just yet though; it's just slowed down immensely now that the game has released. I'm giving it until Sakurai says something about DLC after Mewtwo comes out.

On a side note, I should have discovered Smashboards a few months earlier. It hasn't been till Sm4sh came around that I began to get into watching competitive matches, speculation on new characters and modes, and the possibility for DLC.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
DLC wishlists?

Outside my sig(Captain Toad, Dixie Kong, Impa, Bandana Dee); Inkling, Isaac , Vaati(More Toon rep, less clones), Wolf and Medusa. I wouldn't be against the all the cut Pokemon vets returning either.

------------------------------------

I'm going to miss the speculation period too. Honestly it's my favourite part of Smash community, since most the rest of the time inbetween I'm playing Smash rather than discussing it.

I think it ended best when it did though, the sheer amount of straw grasping at the end was getting depressing.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
******** people using ******** characters to use some ******** criteria they made up, constantly beating down a dead horse for every single topic, overanalyzing very straight forward subjects, no one talks about actually playing as these characters, discriminating those that don't agree with a hivemind mentality, and unleashing satan itself when things don't go according to plan.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
******** people using ******** characters to use some ******** criteria they made up, constantly beating down a dead horse for every single topic, overanalyzing very straight forward subjects, no one talks about actually playing as these characters, discriminating those that don't agree with a hivemind mentality, and unleashing satan itself when things don't go according to plan.
Woah that is a supremely negative opinion on the speculation period. Although some fanbases were more toxic to a bit more anti-supported character opinion.

The speculation is obviously continuing but much more slowly. Plus less fans are arguing now that we are just hoping DLC comes true for more characters.

My wishlist mainly contains Isaac. I am fine with any other sensible choices to make it to the game as well.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
One of the best parts of speculating is when the rumors show up and everybody tries to make sense out of them, while at the same time, provide evidence as to why it's fake.
The leaks and rumors were the worst part of speculation, for me at least. The Gematsu leak in particular completely destroyed the speculation community and made it utterly miserable. How can one enjoy speculating the game when everyone is saying that we already know exactly what's going to happen, and that the character you support has no chance, and that if you think otherwise, you're an idiot? The reprehensible way the community handled such leaks made speculation quite unpleasant for a good number of people.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
It's a wishlist, not a prediction roster.

Mr. Optimus Prime/Galacta Knight :troll:
I'm not dissapointed about shadow being an assist trophy at all, what are you talking about. It was clear he wasn't happening.

Oh, right, well in that case...

FIXED

Also, I just don't think anymore third party characters are happening, it's okay to believe what you want, but still, we've got a good enough third party lineup already.
Fixed for accuracy :troll:
What? None of those I support!

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The leaks and rumors were the worst part of speculation, for me at least. The Gematsu leak in particular completely destroyed the speculation community and made it utterly miserable. How can one enjoy speculating the game when everyone is saying that we already know exactly what's going to happen, and that the character you support has no chance, and that if you think otherwise, you're an idiot? The reprehensible way the community handled such leaks made speculation quite unpleasant for a good number of people.
Agreed. Gematsu Leak sucks. Long live ESRB Leak! :awesome:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Agreed. Gematsu Leak sucks. Long live ESRB Leak! :awesome:
Well, at least the ESRB leak had the courtesy to reveal itself late and then prove itself to be unquestionably legitimate shortly afterward. We still have people debating the Gematsu leak.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Well, at least the ESRB leak had the courtesy to reveal itself late and then prove itself to be unquestionably legitimate shortly afterward. We still have people debating the Gematsu leak.
In the hypothetical event that there ends up being legitimate leaks for additional DLC, I expect the omission of at least one character widely agreed to be likely and a good choice along with the inclusion of a character few wanted and few expected, with the latter having people go out of their way to dismiss the leak due to the "absurdity" of said character.

That said, no matter what, Young Link has no chance!:troll:

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
In the hypothetical event that there ends up being legitimate leaks for additional DLC, I expect the omission of at least one character widely agreed to be likely and a good choice along with the inclusion of a character few wanted and few expected, with the latter having people go out of their way to dismiss the leak due to the "absurdity" of said character.

That said, no matter what, Young Link has no chance!:troll:
Your sig needs more hope True Blue! For one day our Lady Lyndis will be given to us!

But in all serious I'm going to just use this to spring board into what we think the rules might be, in Sakurai/Nintendo's mind, for Smash Brothers DLC.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
So, why don't we discuss what brought us together in the first place - the positive aspects of the character discussion threads. Yes, they may be few and far in between for some of us, and yes, it would take much less effort to list off the embarrassments (the humbling experience of Robin's reveal and especially the ESRB leak; the hype-train derailment of October 2013 and #MonadoMonday; any Ridley-related event; Tower of Smash/Wii U exclusive characters; etc.)... yet through all of this, what brings us all back to speculation?

In my case, it's because it instigated within me a vast amount of invaluable knowledge I would have otherwise never known, and it goes beyond acknowledgement of obscure characters or series. Before I joined the community a year-and-a-half ago, I was a semi-casual, low-level Smash scrub (and I don't use these terms derogatorily, but rather in-disclosure). I actually thought Lucario actively replaced Mewtwo in Brawl, that characters were selected by solely by series representation, and that Captain Falcon was a low-priority character on the roster who could get cut. It isn't easy to admit my lack of awareness, but I was that uninformed for somebody who played through 64, Melee, and Brawl.

When I joined the speculation community, specifically for playable character predictions, I did it because I wanted this exclusive inside-knowledge of the inner workings of Smash Brothers. It was all vanity, a presumptuous arrogance. I analyzed all the pointless intellectual guesswork of which characters were deemed "likely" and which were "unlikely", and it was thoughtlessly stupid. Just to score imaginary points in a game of patting myself on the back, simply because of my lack of knowledge. But then there was a moment of much-needed clarification for me.

After learning the basics of Smash's development history, I joined the support threads for Robin and King K. Rool. Afterwards, I suddenly realized the error of my foolish ways - I should support characters because I want them, not because I expect them, especially through the lens of both a play-style perspective and from legitimate admiration of the character.

In reference to Robin, it was originally a small fan-base under the radar, sort of like pre-reveal Rosalina, since it was common for Chrom and Roy to be considered the top Fire Emblem prospects. Yet the whole concept of fitting into this "sword-wielding, main character lord" pattern didn't matter to them. What mattered was not only supporting a character they actually wanted (not to say Chrom didn't have these fans, as well), but also a character with unique move-set potential and play-styles. I thought to myself, "Why don't I attempt to do some investigative research into what a character can bring to the table, and how it would affect the overall balance of the meta-game?" rather than pick-and-choose character based on likeliness. So I invested myself towards the competitive discussions of these characters, such as fighting styles, weight classes, approach options, defensive capabilities, and what would differentiate similar attack-based mechanisms from one another between similar characters. I always liked Robin before, but now my belief was solidified - he was the most viable option between Fire Emblem characters, whether or not he was likely.

As for what I gained from the K. Rool support thread, it was the pragmatic OP's no-nonsense, tell-it-like-it-is approach to speculation in general that convinced me to learn my lessons in modesty and moderation. None of this hopping aboard a bandwagon, or keeping order over the number of series icons on a roster selection screen, or giving in to the obsessional tear-licking of disappointed fan-bases (which I now find the bane of Smash's existence). Just be sincere within the support of your favorite characters, and within reason. I don't always agree with what he says or how he says it (since it can be rather brash), but nonetheless I have grown a tremendous respect for not only the OP, but also the decade-and-a-half long support of a potentially unique fighter, through the means of genuine appreciation. Even if K. Rool isn't playable in Smash Brothers, my appreciation of the character is still long-lasting.

Despite all its glaring flaws, ignition of flame wars, and problematic shortcomings and near-nearsightedness, I owe the speculation community the entirely valuable knowledge I acquired over the course of a year, to which not only affects me in this website but also in real life. I overcame my worst character flaw, which was overly-excessive narcissism. Now, thanks to this community, I am down-to-earth in my humbleness, willing to admit to my mistakes when I make them, and ready to apply my new-found knowledge towards bettering myself in the competitive scene. If I am going to support a character, I will do so in the same sense Scoliosis Jones supports his favorite characters.

TLDR: I learned a lot.

What about all of you?

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
So, why don't we discuss what brought us together in the first place - the positive aspects of the character discussion threads. Yes, they may be few and far in between for some of us, and yes, it would take much less effort to list off the embarrassments (the humbling experience of Robin's reveal and especially the ESRB leak; the hype-train derailment of October 2013 and #MonadoMonday; any Ridley-related event; Tower of Smash/Wii U exclusive characters; etc.)... yet through all of this, what brings us all back to speculation?

In my case, it's because it instigated within me a vast amount of invaluable knowledge I would have otherwise never known, and it goes beyond acknowledgement of obscure characters or series. Before I joined the community a year-and-a-half ago, I was a semi-casual, low-level Smash scrub (and I don't use these terms derogatorily, but rather in-disclosure). I actually thought Lucario actively replaced Mewtwo in Brawl, that characters were selected by solely by series representation, and that Captain Falcon was a low-priority character on the roster who could get cut. It isn't easy to admit my lack of awareness, but I was that uninformed for somebody who played through 64, Melee, and Brawl.

When I joined the speculation community, specifically for playable character predictions, I did it because I wanted this exclusive inside-knowledge of the inner workings of Smash Brothers. It was all vanity, a presumptuous arrogance. I analyzed all the pointless intellectual guesswork of which characters were deemed "likely" and which were "unlikely", and it was thoughtlessly stupid. Just to score imaginary points in a game of patting myself on the back, simply because of my lack of knowledge. But then there was a moment of much-needed clarification for me.

After learning the basics of Smash's development history, I joined the support threads for Robin and King K. Rool. Afterwards, I suddenly realized the error of my foolish ways - I should support characters because I want them, not because I expect them, especially through the lens of both a play-style perspective and from legitimate admiration of the character.

In reference to Robin, it was originally a small fan-base under the radar, sort of like pre-reveal Rosalina, since it was common for Chrom and Roy to be considered the top Fire Emblem prospects. Yet the whole concept of fitting into this "sword-wielding, main character lord" pattern didn't matter to them. What mattered was not only supporting a character they actually wanted (not to say Chrom didn't have these fans, as well), but also a character with unique move-set potential and play-styles. I thought to myself, "Why don't I attempt to do some investigative research into what a character can bring to the table, and how it would affect the overall balance of the meta-game?" rather than pick-and-choose character based on likeliness. So I invested myself towards the competitive discussions of these characters, such as fighting styles, weight classes, approach options, defensive capabilities, and what would differentiate similar attack-based mechanisms from one another between similar characters. I always liked Robin before, but now my belief was solidified - he was the most viable option between Fire Emblem characters, whether or not he was likely.

As for what I gained from the K. Rool support thread, it was the pragmatic OP's no-nonsense, tell-it-like-it-is approach to speculation in general that convinced me to learn my lessons in modesty and moderation. None of this hopping aboard a bandwagon, or keeping order over the number of series icons on a roster selection screen, or giving in to the obsessional tear-licking of disappointed fan-bases (which I now find the bane of Smash's existence). Just be sincere within the support of your favorite characters, and within reason. I don't always agree with what he says or how he says it (since it can be rather brash), but nonetheless I have grown a tremendous respect for not only the OP, but also the decade-and-a-half long support of a potentially unique fighter, through the means of genuine appreciation. Even if K. Rool isn't playable in Smash Brothers, my appreciation of the character is still long-lasting.

Despite all its glaring flaws, ignition of flame wars, and problematic shortcomings and near-nearsightedness, I owe the speculation community the entirely valuable knowledge I acquired over the course of a year, to which not only affects me in this website but also in real life. I overcame my worst character flaw, which was overly-excessive narcissism. Now, thanks to this community, I am down-to-earth in my humbleness, willing to admit to my mistakes when I make them, and ready to apply my new-found knowledge towards bettering myself in the competitive scene. If I am going to support a character, I will do so in the same sense Scoliosis Jones supports his favorite characters.

What about all of you?

I joined the speculation community because the pure Idea of Smash DLC intrigued me so much that I just could not wait to sink my teeth into all of the ideas people around here could pass around about it and what we would like to see from Smash DLC. Stuff like this has me thinking to no end :3

And by the by, The Robin thread is a very cool place to hang out.

RobinOnDrugs

Provided that there's DLC after

What about all of you?
I began lurking these forums back in late August when I was on vacation. That was also when the ESRB leaks started happening, so I was hyped up to 11 for it's legitimacy. Eventually I wanted to comment on the threads, so I setup an account here to do so. I also want to start watching competitive Smash more often, so I'm gonna stick around. Plus we still got some speculating left to do for DLC!

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
Provided that there's DLC after

I began lurking these forums back in late August when I was on vacation. That was also when the ESRB leaks started happening, so I was hyped up to 11 for it's legitimacy. Eventually I wanted to comment on the threads, so I setup an account here to do so. I also want to start watching competitive Smash more often, so I'm gonna stick around. Plus we still got some speculating left to do for DLC!
Smash High Five for DLC Speculation and Future Slap Fights! *Holds up hand*

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036

What about all of you?
I learned that Pikmin seems to be the least popular non-retro series with a playable character in Smash Bros. Seriously. Check the Pikmin character support threads and the Olimar forum. Very little activity. Pikmin is almost never brought up in character discussions, and whenever it is, the response is usually "pikmin doesn't need a new rep lol." Yet somehow every other series does need a new character. I guess it's just sad to see my favorite video game series get ignored.

So uh, Plasm Wraith for DLC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom