• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

?????????????

Smash Master
I think the Alfonzo thing is kinda dumb anyway when you could already have up to 4 Toon Links fighting eachother on any stage.

FalcoPaunch!121

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5386-9681-7388
Screw it, I'm posting this now.

So... we face the last days.. maybe even hours until the roster for Super Smash Bros. 3DS/WiiU is known. 4 Last Posts of the Day... but the roster may be fully leaked before then so I'm going to have to post this now. Post number 300. It's amazing how quickly these came by... I never felt a reason to get an account until after E3 this past year. Nonetheless, it's been a really wild ride. Officially, we've had 40 characters known, in supposedly 38 slots. 26 Veterans of the 39 from Brawl. 14/12 Newcomers. Trailers, Demos, hundreds of PotD's, and even an entire direct dedicated for this era of Smash. It's pretty amazing when you look at things.

Nearing 15 months, a year and a quarter.

I've made some allies and foes alike on these boards. I've learned a lot too about characters I wouldn't have really thought about. I've found more about characters I liked but didn't put faith in. I've suffered hundreds of posts of Morbid defending Dark Pit. :awesome:

But seriously, I want to do one final send off for this game in regards to the most crucial part of it for the fans: The roster. I'm going to post up all the main rosters I've drafted up for this game, with time frames of when I drew them up, and explanations. Granted my memory isn't the best and I've had to recreate a number of these with the Roster Maker that I didn't pick up until over a year in. I hope you'll enjoy and reflect at what you believed in at these stages.

This was my first roster, shortly after E3, 2013. I actually heard the news and watched the first two trailers in an Animation class my junior year of high school. As you can see, it's basically a Brawl + Roster. The size was 4x11, a little meager but with a lot of "big" newcomers to me. The layout was similar to Brawl but with slight wrap around for the "exceeding" series under an adjacent 3 character one. I wanna go over my newcomers here.

Ashley: I really wanted a non-Zelda-or-Mother Mage character in Smash since 64. She seemed perfect for it. Plus I just like the character in general. I basically got this in :4robinm::4robinf: and :4palutena:. I don't quite have what I wanted, but I'm content.

Palutena: After playing uprising, she seemed top-tier Smash candidate.

Kalos Trainer: Since we had good information about X & Y before this game was revealed, I was preparing to see this. I was expecting Fennekin -> 2nd Form of Froakie -> 3rd Form of Chespin back then. Boy was I off.

Chrom: Come on, he fit the template. I expected him to revolve a bit more around the shield form of the Fire Emblem and his usage of Bows and Lances in his Great Lord/Archer classes.

Mii: My initial thought was it being Reggie's Mii, whose moveset revolved mostly around jokes about Nintendo consoles (Side B was chucking a Wii mote & Nunchuk, Up B was an N64-controller propeller pack and Reggie's hand would "burn out" after getting a specific amount of height). After their use in a lot of games since then (namely Streetpass Plaza and Nintendoland), I felt they'd be a character this time around.

Geno: ....My big want character. I got Megaman, who was another 3rd Party I never thought I'd see happen. I just wanted him back. "Geno... Gives it a Whirl!"

Snake: I dropped him day 1. I didn't expect or want him to come back.

This was the roster change shortly after discovering Gematsu leak 1, making my second prediction roster. The leak had correctly stated 3 newcomers at E3 2013, and I agreed on Miis. It seemed really likely (who guesses :4wiifit:?) and while Little Mac seemed odd to me, Pac-Man seemed like a cool idea for a newcomer 3rd party. The addition of these two was when I cut off :lucas::wolf: because... I didn't think of any newcomers I really wanted or liked that filled up the other 2 slots for 4x12 and I didn't really mind them being cut back then. An adjustment, not a big change.

Roster 3, December 18th, 2013. Rosalina & Luma revealed as a new puppet-style character. I was HYPED and swapped Ashley out for her, it seemed like a proper replacement. At this time, I "reorganized" my layout a bit better. I honestly could've put Ashley, Lucas, and Wolf in here with some fourth newcomer for 4x12, but I didn't at the time.

Obviously, Little Mac's trailer didn't alter things.

The day that Smash hype was really boomed. The April 8th Direct of Smash back only 5 months ago. This combined with Gematsu's second leak list (which made me really expand out my roster into 4x12 as I stuck for a while had to be the full size) because I had faith from the first leak moved it into this form... and it really only added two characters I didn't have.

Z.S.S. and Sheik moved to their own slots. Kanto and Kalos trainers were replaced or "trimmed down to" by Charizard and Greninja (who I did believe for a moment was Mewtwo coming back). Chorus Men went alongside Wario because as someone who played and loved Rhythm Heaven, it seemed the best place for them alongside their sister series, much like Kid Icarus and Metroid. Geno was placed in the "Mario & Associates" line next to the other 3rd Parties due to his origins. I got the 4 "basic human" characters lined up after Star Fox. Roster 4.

Post E3 2014. Roster 5. Just some touch ups.

The Reggie Mii idea was turned into Mii Fighters who are mirrored to random to be a second slot when customization was turned off. Everyone else just shifted down in the same line.

With Pac-Man being revealed in the fashion he was with the focus on him alongside Mario, Megaman, and Sonic, it made me lose hope for Geno. In his place went my next most beloved newcomer idea, Bandana Dee. With his predominant use in RtD, the 20th Anniversary collection, and Triple Deluxe... he seemed as important in his games as Rosalina was in Mario. Combine this with the moveset potential and semi-unique weapon (due to my Chrom idea at the time)... and Sakurai bias to a degree made me really a supporter.

Roster 6. July 14th, "Monado Monday" turned into By the Book, Blade, and Crest of Flame. Robin replacing Chrom. The one newcomer and two newly-returning clones (:lucas::wolf:).

At this point, I swapped Chorus Kids for the preferred choice of Marshal due to it being clear Gematsu characters may have been altered before making it into official gameplay.

Finally, to be the last character for the newly 4x13 size would be the character to fill the void left by :ivysaur:'s cut, represents Gen 3 which got skipped in Brawl and is being remade in between the two titles releasing of Smash, Sceptile. Why not let Pokemon have 6 in this game if it basically had 6 in Brawl?

Finally.. here's where the road splits.

Roster 7A. Me playing ignorant to the leak roster, but complying to the leak video of Bowser Jr. Size of 5x11 for Wii U layout (6x9 on 3DS with Mii Fighters replacing Random or being a separate menu).

Dark Pit would be an anti-clone of Pit. While looking similar, his arsenal would revolve around Staff, Cannon, Palm, and Club weapons and sharing very few actual similarities to Pit in moveset. Final Smash? Why not summoning up an Orne or a few of Viridi's forces like Pit's old Final Smash.

King K. Rool is in here simply to comply to DK fans and I prefer him to Dixie... and Cranky got deconfirmed sadly. :c

I would comply swapping Dark Pit for Duck Hunt IF I had a better idea for the latter's moveset and enjoyed it... hopefully as a spiritual Banjo & Kazooie.

Roster 7B. The "Okay, the ESRB roster leak image was real but we have 5 slots left" deal. I keep Bandana Dee and Marshal as newcomers. I also bothered to actually update my icons for this one. Want a 3DS layout?
Boom. There you go.

Finally... the "If I could go wild with newcomers" roster. More for a laugh than anything.

Yeah. I know. Happening never.

I've said my stance for King K. Rool, Marshal, Bandana Dee, Sceptile, and Geno. Now I'll go over the other parts of this.

Tetra: My preferred Zelda newcomer. A pirate-themed moveset that isn't a clone or semi-clone of a character already in the game, who has been in multiple official games as the same design, and helps represent the Toon part of the franchise to a proper third of the whole series.

Mewtwo: Screw it, he's here. Happy? Logically he'd go into Y form as it is the mirror to Charizard X and as predominant as megas get.

Anna: The most occurring Fire Emblem character, being in 12 of the 13 games. First made a fighting unit by Awakening and having a partially capitalism and cash-based moveset seems unique enough!

Nephenee: Since I'm not getting Hector as an Axe user and representing the GBA games, Nephenne is my next most liked Fire Emblem character with a great lance and shield. Why not toss her in there.

Kumatora: The Mother 3 rep that is more likeable and has the potential of being more aggressive Mother character who ACTUALLY learns Fire, Thunder, Freeze, and Starstorm in the main game.

Donbe & Hikari: I know nothing about them from their game. They just look like a really cool partnership to make as a random NES representative for Retro glory.

I was a fairly conservative person on my roster changes. Only making the change when a character I had was deconfirmed or a character I didn't have was confirmed (outside of the first Gematsu... but I would've had a similar change when Little Mac was officially confirmed later on). Look at how far we've gone though since E3 2013. It's been one HELL of a ride. We've been here for every bump. I'm signing off of this site from now until the roster has been shown confirmed after official release of the game at the end of the week.

Fellow Smashers, we will fight across many Battlefields. Face many foes. Make many allies. Overcome many hardships. We will reach our Final Destinations and confront the very hands of god.

This is Burruni aka Pikaby, signing out.

PS: I have the worst luck, btw. None of my three mains have been officially confirmed only about 5 days from release (:039::ganondorfmelee::warioc:).
Why don't you stay? :sadeyes:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Apologies for the TL ; DR ALERT!​
Remember when the roster was this simple, and we felt the rush of excitement as we unlocked characters?

Times were simpler then. We didn't expect as much, we didn't demand as much.

This is a series with 4 installments in 11 years? It's spaced out. It's done when it is deemed needed, and has the proper time spent to try to make it as great and unique it can with each game.

Just... with how heated things have been getting, I wanted to try to remind people back when this series, and the fans, were simpler.

Sure, there are characters who were questionably in the roster (:jigglypuff64::falcon64:).
Sure, there are characters who needed entire movesets made up for this game (:fox64::falcon64:).
Sure, there was a 1/12th concentration of clones (:luigi64:).
Sure, there were characters that didn't get in due to time (:bowsermelee::mewtwomelee::dedede:).

We didn't care. We played the game like mad. We loved it. Sometimes we go back to play it just to get in touch with those times again.

Either later today or tomorrow, I'm going to make my last post until the after the game is released and the roster is known once and for all. I hope you all will smile and nod with what it represents. For now, try to take a bit of time of your day to remember that the disrespecting we used to do was limited to a taunt by using the D-pad and not by slicing done one another for our wants and dislikes in characters.
Great post & great read, though I feel :jigglypuff64: may want to be in that clone category with :luigi64:. :jigglypuff64: moved & felt a lot like :kirby64: even Sakurai admitted that he made her similar to his baby Kirby. To my memory serving me decently, :falcon64: had an identical U-tilt to :samus64:, since :samus64: was my very first main in Smash 64 before meeting & unlocking this hot manly mess :falcon64::falcon64::falcon64::falcon64:. But that's one move & not a whole play-style or specials. *Good Sigh* Man Smash 64 was where it was at. . .I'm more hurt from the removed bonus practice modes like BTP! & RttF! than cut characters. . .which is most definitely my Smash 64 bias speaking for me. I gave no ****s when I was a child playing Super Smash Brothers & spammed show me your moves taunt to feel like a Missourian ( Show-me state joke) & I felt proud. Sad to wonder now that Sonic's Brawl taunts may not return which were imo the best. Cheers & In case I don't see you anymore Burruni, Thanks for Posting all that you did. Have a fun time playing Sm4sh:shades:
My most cherished Smash memory, if that is still the topic of discussion, was Ganondorf's reveal. In the pre-Melee era, I was quite immature; in fact, I was only approximately seven years of age. Clearly, I lacked essential cognitive functions and the ability to use the internet; however, I never thought that Ganondorf was a possibility. I did not believe that essential characters such as Bowser, Zelda or Peach would be playable either, given their roles in within their own franchise, especially at the time. People take their inclusions for granted when they assert that Brawl's newcomer roster was superior. I was not as surprised to see Young Link, as he is one of the main characters of Legend of Zelda. Before the introduction of Melee, only the most prominent characters within each series were added, the only exception being Jigglypuff, I suppose. Essentially, Melee is one of my favorite titles as I was able to go into the experience "blind." I had no knowledge of the content within the game prior to actually earning everything there was to earn.

Ganondorf is my favorite video-game character. I believe that he is one of the first video-game characters that I adored and he was my first taste of Legend of Zelda as I "started" the series at his boss battle. My mother had taken my sister to a Gameforce whilst I was attending elementary school, there she decided to purchase Ocarina of Time. There was a file already complete, I suppose. So my sister started with that file, it was something that we did when we were younger, we would examine the previous owners progress for whatever reason. I digress, upon my return, she was in his castle, already in the battle. She needed some help to defeat him. I vaguely recall falling off the edge multiple times before deflecting deadman's volley properly. As an advocate of antagonists, Ganondorf was one of the first that I became attached to, therefore he means a lot to me personally.

This leads us back to Smash. I was already quite pleased with everything the game had to offer, the unlock-able characters were great; however, after being exposed to characters such as Dr. Mario, Young Link, Pichu or Falco, personal favorites, that only reaffirmed that that game would focus on variations of main characters. So I was not expecting anything on par with the King of Darkness, or even Mewtwo. Marth was the biggest disappointment from Melee as I was not aware of who he was. The same could be said about Captain Falcon and Ness, that is relevant later. After playing Classic mode to get a feel for him, Roy was unlocked. I was utterly disturbed to say the least. Two (repugnant) anime swordsmen?! Honestly, Roy was my favorite and I interpreted him as compensation for what Marth offered. As many our age, we believed that Marth was a woman and once we learned the truth, we felt betrayed. Roy had fire and explosions, how could he not be the better character? The better man, even? In fact, to this day, I adamantly believe that Roy is better for free-for-all. Regardless, that is not the point, the point is that I condemned my favorite character without being aware of it. The precedent established a pattern of clone characters, secondary characters even. Characters that I did not even realize existed.

At this point in my file, I had unlocked everyone aside from Ganondorf, Mewtwo, and Game & Watch. The last two unlocks we were "graced" with were Marth and Roy, at the time, I was not overly fond of them. Obviously that has changed drastically over time. Something was amiss... It happened, everything changed. After playing versus for awhile, the ever so coveted "Challenger Approaching" screen loomed in the distance. This was what my sister and I had been working towards, the next character! The excitement was palpable, it saturated ever fiber of our beings. At each "Challenger Approaching" banner, my sister and I would attempt to discern the character that was masked in a silhouette. Obviously our overt lack of Nintendo knowledge influenced our detrimental accuracy. For instance, Dr. Mario's silhouette was reminiscent of a "tiger man" from our perspective, we thought that perhaps he was a wrestling-esque character. Quite incorrect we were, indeed.

This silhouette was different than the rest. It was easy to establish that it was a man... with a sword... he seemed as though he was positioned in an action pose. By the gods! It was yet another generic anime swordsmen. I was not pleased in the slightest. For a moment, I even wished that that character was not in the game. I still regret that do this day even though it was not pertinent to his fate. Yes, I was as petty back then as I currently am. Nothing has changed in that regard. So, before starting the match, I made my disdain extremely apparent by letting out the most exasperated sigh that I could muster, the game began to load, the seconds felt like years (not really though). It was... no. How could this be? Was I mislead? Was it a trap?!

Ganondorf.

He deserves his own paragraph. So I left it at that. I was trembling in fear as the King of Darkness instantly dropped me with very little effort. I could hardly focus. I could hardly believe what my eyes had the luxury of witnessing! I theorize that some endorphin that was not supposed to be present in my system was excreted. I forgot to mention it earlier; however, Link was my main. So there were some role-playing implications as well. After a quick break to allow my body to recover, after the hyperventilating ceased, after I cleaned the piss off of myself (that did not really happen, to clarify), I had issued the King of Darkness one last challenge. I had never been as determined to win a match as I was at that very moment. I am not a very competitive person either, but this, this was about pride (and earning the honor of playing as Ganon). It meant everything to me at the time. And as you probably guessed, I won that **** and gained Ganondorf's respect. He, in turn, allowed me to use him with dignity and elegance.

Honestly, this was my most cherished memory in Smash history. Nothing will ever usurp the King of Darkness' inclusion. I would also like to interject something fairly important. We were mislead. Ganon did not even use his sword, that silhouette was a thirst trap. I was not even aware that he was a clone as the others were. Obviously his specials were reminiscent of Captain Falcon's specials; however, I had not used Captain Falcon at all in Melee. I barely used him in Smash 64 either. But I was used to his Smash 64 iteration in conjunction with Ganondorf being a heavy weight and utilizing some of his own moves such as the U-tilt... he felt vastly original and unique. I learned Captain Falcon through Ganondorf. Deal with it, punk!

With that, I have one more notion that I would be privileged to assert before the release. If you do not use Ganon because you are a whiny, pretentious, self-entitled, spoiled little brat that believes that Ganondorf "deserves" better because he is not reminiscent of his Legend of Zelda form... **** you. If you do not enjoy playing as him, do not play as him.
Amazing read & a far-above decent cherished Smash memory worth holding onto, MorbiddenAllTrueism. Here's my multiple Smash memories:

Beng a child of the age of 7 maybe no less than 10 since my meories that early did not serve me well to remember them, but it came to Smash Brothers my fondness of being around friends & rivalry companions to be at different houses, having a good time playing Smash 64 was all that was needed at the time. Rather than going outside like we always did, we played this game of everyone's favorite Nintendo characters. I for one did not have a single favorite Nintendo character because I went in 'blind' as you said once, only picking characters here & there, not committed to choosing anyone I particularly knew of. Being that young I did enjoy one way of playing any video game, going fast & that was all thanks to the Sonic games on the Genesis racing against friends in 2-Player. Back to Smash, when I didn't play Smash 64 at different houses with other people, I'd play with my older siblings who bought the game & proceeded to woop my butt at the game I loved so much. This triggered my hidden competitive spirit I thought I never had, after losing countless times to my older sister's :pikachu64: & my older brother's :link64:, the count of losses was not exaggerated when I say I've lost over 100+ times to both of them. My friend's go-to main he used to woop my butt was :fox64:. I learned about who these characters were being curious of them, "why are they so good in this game & WHO ARE they?!". After losing so much with :samus64: not even knowing who the character was other than his / her name being Samus, I finally was playing the game for real doing odd-job bonus modes like BOARD THE PLATFORMS! and Target Test! along with Classic Mode falling in love with Race to the Finish! for it's fast-paced objective satisfying my ' 'gotta go fast!' ' craving. Then the end credits rolled showing the post-ending picture of Samus congratulating me for playing the game, inspired by that quote I kept on playing the game for thanking me. Suddenly my first experience of playing the game the unlock-able challenger approaches me in his revolving silhouette, very curious who it was as I've never seen that character before. Coming out of what looked like a futuristic car that zooms off I felt intimidated. After all, my go-to craving of game-play was speed & seeing his car fly off that fast as he stared straight at my direction I felt nervous fighting this character, mysterious & unknown to me I wanted to defeat him very much. The first time I ever felt scared by a move in Smash Brothers was indeed what you guessed, as he roar a saying shaking his whole arm I heard the words, "FALCON PAUNCH!" I never shieled that much which was the leading reasons why I lost so much, but I pressed those L + R bumpers so quick in fear of my life I closed my eyes not wanting to dare see what would happen next. Sound effects keep playing in the Background as my eyes still shut, I open them to realize I was alive, & still fighting. I won that battle & proceeded to use this character after the game announced that he was a collector of space race trophies, BUT I DIDN'T CARE! I wanted to play this character right off the bat.

Ever since that time I unlocked him & played him, my rivalry between my older siblings seemed to lighten up, as a new character was unlocked & I felt like a champion with Captain Falcon. I started learning about his games & what he really is, a Bounty Hunter like Samus. This along with him fighting on the Zebes stage it all made little sense but I didn't care, all that mattered to me was this character! Alas, my odds in the end trying to beat my friends & siblings, I came close but I still couldn't. My friends & I were on par, but my siblings. . .especially my brother. . .:link64: was my toughest matchup in the history of Smash & I will never forget it. I owe a lot to my brother for loving the game& respecting Link, no matter what. It felt like after I played Captain Falcon, all character from different people were playing against me, I was playing practically every fighter of the O12. If I hadn't played Captain Falcon getting mentioned for being "that kid who plays Captain Falcon", I wouldn't of gotten to play all those different people having a good time learning about all of Nintendo's All-Stars in Sooper! Smaaaaaaaaaaash Brotherrrrrrrrrrrrrrs!
P.S. I still played Samus, but she was moved to a secondary after Falcon came in the scene.

The rest after that is long history of continued Smash all the way from my childhood playing the 64, 'till now being a Brawl player. Though I have just as much Smash memories for Melee & Brawl with my Friends rather than I did family. My mains are already displayed but secondaries make a difference to us too so here's my long history of overall characters I played:

Smash 64 Primary
:falcon64:
Smash 64 Secondary
:samus64:
Smash Melee Primary
:marthmelee:
Smash Melee Secondaries
:falcomelee::luigimelee: / Later came :mewtwomelee::linkmelee: played for the memories of my brother in 64.
Smash Brawl Primary 2008 - late 2009
:metaknight: that I quit playing right before 2010
Smash Brawl Primary early 2010 - late 2013
:lucario:
Smash Brawl Primary early 2014 - now
:ivysaur: mainly, :charizard: & :squirtle: are the duo package with it eventually playing :pt: all the way decently to say.
Smash Brawl Secondaries throughout the 5 years I've played giving up on some but they get a mention
:falcon::lucario::marth::rob::snake::wolf:just now playing Wolf this past July:yoshi2: / Gave up on:falco::sonic::luigi2::link2:played for the memories of my Brother's Link in Smash 64.
Project Melee Primary
:ivysaur:
Project Melee Secondaries
:falcon::link2::mewtwopm::marth::yoshi2: / Recently tring to secondary = :lucario: & :rob:
And that's it. The Smash demo I played back months ago wasn't the final deaft of the game so my feelings on characters are still mixed. There's so many characters we all want to try, so going off only on what's confirmed absolutely so far from the 40 playable fighters. My character predictions I may primary & Secondary follow:
5mash Primary
:4lucario:
5mash Secondaries mixed with what I want to try to secondary
Committed Secondaries
:4falcon::4charizard::4link::4luigi::4marth::4metaknight::4sonic::4yoshi:
Try out :4bowser::4dedede::4fox::4greninja::4myfriends::4littlemac::4lucina::4megaman::4metaknight::4mii::4palutena::4pacman::4robinm::4samus::4shulk::4zss:

My Final Five

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Am I one of the few people that think the decision of removing transformations from characters was a bad idea? I really enjoyed switching between Zelda and Sheik as well as my main in Brawl. . . Which has been cut most likely due to this reason. :crying:

Niala

Smash Ace
Am I one of the few people that think the decision of removing transformations from characters was a bad idea? I really enjoyed switching between Zelda and Sheik as well as my main in Brawl. . . Which has been cut most likely due to this reason. :crying:
I think I'll miss it... But I don't think it was a bad idea. Each of those characters now operate independently, I think it would be easier to balance them that way. I think it was strictly beneficial, but like I said, I'll probably miss it.

FalcoPaunch!121

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5386-9681-7388
Who is...

As for transforming characters, I will miss being one of the first people that figured out you can switch between Samus and ZSS with the press of a button (My fingers slipped) but I won't miss my sister randomly switching when she was in trouble then switching back because Zelda stunk.

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Had it not been for Transformations, we may have never gotten this many slots to 'pad' the roster more than Clones have ever done. Melee was a clone wars series time for 6 slots, but Zelda/Sheik were still bunched in one slot. Transformations in Brawl was cool I had no issues with it though I did wish to play Ivysaur solo instead of having to play the other 2. For that however I was getting better with both Squirtle & Charizard so thanks for that Sakurai.

Overall, I think removing Transformations was a decent move. If transformations were faster, they wouldn't of been a big problem for the players who played :charizard::ivysaur::pt::samus2::sheik::sheilda::squirtle::zelda::zerosuitsamus: so much. I wish the 3 kanto starters returned but no use complaining about it now. You're most likely in the minority of the decision, though I feel for you.

Too bad you can't play :sheilda: anymore.:troll:

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Who is...
:pt:
I played all three equally and enjoyed each unique moveset.
I think I'll miss it... But I don't think it was a bad idea. Each of those characters now operate independently, I think it would be easier to balance them that way. I think it was strictly beneficial, but like I said, I'll probably miss it.
I'm personally already over it, but I thought it was a neat feature introduced in Melee. I don't really see a reason to remove it, but I do understand the benefits that are gained.

FalcoPaunch!121

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5386-9681-7388
:pt:
I played all three equally and enjoyed each unique moveset.

I'm personally already over it, but I thought it was a neat feature introduced in Melee. I don't really see a reason to remove it, but I do understand the benefits that are gained.
What I don't understand is why Charizard, the overrated 1 of the 3, made it in.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Man I'm believing in Ridely super hard right now. The other day I was drinking a glass of water and nearly crushed the glass at the thought of Ridely being in smash,I'm too hyped.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Overrated is a rather subjective idea. But the fact is that Charizard is the most popular of the three, and is actually one of the most popular Pokemon of all time. If any of the three were to get in alone, it would obviously be him.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Also I know Dixe might be in but , turn down for what? I want that pirate, boxing, king, mad doctor alligator so bad.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Wait so does the guy from Mother 1 wear a scarf or no? Dumb question, but seriously.

Also didn't know that King K Rool is only second to Bowser when it comes to villains showing up in the so called Mario continuity.

Last edited:

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Wait so does the guy from Mother 1 wear a scarf or no? Dumb question, but seriously.

Also didn't know that King K Rool is only second to Bowser when it comes to villains showing up in the so called Mario continuity.

Ninten? He does not wear a scarf ingame, but the kid playing him in the commercial for Mother 1 did. As a result, his appearance there is often used in fanart to differentiate him from Ness.

And that's yet another reason Rool oughta get in.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Ninten? He does not wear a scarf ingame, but the kid playing him in the commercial for Mother 1 did. As a result, his appearance there is often used in fanart to differentiate him from Ness.

And that's yet another reason Rool oughta get in.
Yeah him, and that's why I picture him wearing a scarf, thanks.

And yes I knew Rool was a big deal but wow, now I have a yearning for him as well. I like Dixie, really I do, but she seems really boring in comparison. Not trying to start a flame war, but man the better choice is kind of clear

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

I don't like calling it the "Mario" continuity, because DK is almost completely separate from Mario. DK himself is the only character from the Donkey Kong franchise to regularly appear in Mario games. Diddy Kong has appeared next most often, and everyone else only appears rarely. Rool himself even appeared in one Mario game, but otherwise he's strictly been a DK character, appearing in every DK game pre-Returns except for Jungle Beat.

This doesn't include the Mario vs. Donkey Kong games, as these are an extension of the "original" Donkey Kong to differentiate them from the actual DK franchise starting with DKC.

K. Rool is definitely a more important character than Bowser Jr. overall in Nintendo's history, although Bowser Jr. is the next-most recurring/important MARIO villain. If you include the DK franchise along with the Mario franchise, yes, I would argue that K. Rool is more important than Bowser Jr. However, that's kinda hard to make an argument for since they tend to be stuck entirely in their own franchises.

Main difference between Rool and Bowser Jr. = K. Rool is DK's main antagonist, Bowser Jr. is Mario's main antagonist's sidekick. After DK and Mario split off, Mario first got Bowser as his antagonist, and DK got K. Rool as his antagonist. DK and Mario are two of Nintendo's most iconic and oldest characters, and naturally their own antagonists are very iconic as well; Bowser moreso, but K. Rool is still very iconic as well.

Last edited:

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
One of my favorite Smash memories is when my friend and I would play Melee together, and we would pause the game at random times to see if we could pick out anything we found hilarious from the snapshot. We once found the funniest Pichu derp face. Don't tell me that none of you ever scouted for funny pause times at least once in your Smash playing career. Of course this time around I'll be pausing the game just to admire the HD renders on everything, and less for finding humorous stills. I'm sure I'll still find one every once and a while though, giving me a nice reminder of the fun I had playing Melee with my best friend when I was young.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
To me, you're an awesome-opossum! Did you have a favorite from the 3? (Inb4 Charizard)
Favorite? Well, my favorite Pokémon has always been Charizard, but I actually preferred Squirtle's moveset. Ivysaur was a fun character as well!
Overrated is a rather subjective idea. But the fact is that Charizard is the most popular of the three, and is actually one of the most popular Pokemon of all time. If any of the three were to get in alone, it would obviously be him.
Basically what False Sense said. Overrated is very subjective as well.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
You know, I noticed something that's inconsistent about the leaked 48 characters roster. Yoshi and Meta Knight were moved to match chronological order within their origin. However, Bowser Jr., Jigglypuff, and Wario do not appear as such. Wario could be an exception because of his WarioWare portrayel, which actually originated in WarioWare, his own series, but the other two go unexplained. I believe everyone in it is playable, but that's really weird.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
You know, I noticed something that's inconsistent about the leaked 48 characters roster. Yoshi and Meta Knight were moved to match chronological order within their origin. However, Bowser Jr., Jigglypuff, and Wario do not appear as such. Wario could be an exception because of his WarioWare portrayel, which actually originated in WarioWare, his own series, but the other two go unexplained. I believe everyone in it is playable, but that's really weird.
The Pokémon order makes no sense whatsoever beyond Pikachu and Charizard. Why the heck would Jigglypuff be between Greninja and Lucario?

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Favorite? Well, my favorite Pokémon has always been Charizard, but I actually preferred Squirtle's moveset. Ivysaur was a fun character as well!
Hyesz! First time asking you this, but how excited would you of been had Squirtle & ivysaur were their fully evolved forms or their most pre-evolved forms? Thoughts on all that?
The Pokémon order makes no sense whatsoever beyond Pikachu and Charizard. Why the heck would Jigglypuff be between Greninja and Lucario?
Personally, I'd have it chronological game order for the whole roster, having it look like this when all are unlocked:
:4pikachu::jigglypuff::mewtwopm::4charizard::4lucario::4greninja:(Insert Sceptile here)

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Hyesz! First time asking you this, but how excited would you of been had Squirtle & ivysaur were their fully evolved forms or their most pre-evolved forms? Thoughts on all that?
Dude, hype to the extreme. Charizard and Blastoise were some of my favorite Pokémon back in the Red and Blue days. For me:
Charmeleon < Charmander < Charizard
Wartortle < Squirtle < Blastoise
Venusaur < Ivysaur < Bulbasaur

And if you compare my favorite of each line:
Bulbasaur < Blastoise < Charizard

Now, I'd really like to see Typhlosion and Feraligatr.

I'd like to see them listed in the same order as the National Dex barring Pikachu.
:4pikachu::4charizard::jigglypuff::mewtwopm::4lucario::4greninja:

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Dude, hype to the extreme. Charizard and Blastoise were some of my favorite Pokémon back in the Red and Blue days. For me:
Charmeleon < Charmander < Charizard
Wartortle < Squirtle < Blastoise
Venusaur < Ivysaur < Bulbasaur

And if you compare my favorite of each line:
Bulbasaur < Blastoise < Charizard

Now, I'd really like to see Typhlosion and Feraligatr.

I'd like to see them listed in the same order as the National Dex barring Pikachu.
:4pikachu::4charizard::jigglypuff::mewtwopm::4lucario::4greninja:
I dig that. How come Venusaur is so low for you when it comes to the idea of having a playable Venusaur fighter in your controls? Did the Earthquake using Venusaur not impress you enough?:troll: We could of had an identical :GCD::GCB: Quake attack like :4dk:.

I'm not questioning Blastoise or Bulbasaur because I see those being hype to play as in Smash if we're still in dream world.

Personally they should of replaced Jigglypuff & Pichu in Melee with Feraligatr & Typhlosion. . .despite that Cyndaquil pokeball.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
@ Pacack Pacack : your love and connection to pac-man is amazing man. You have a good heart and always kept the pacman thread live with your humor happy-go-lucky attitude. A true friend to the end. Me and you were some of the loudest and most enthusiastic supporters!
:rotfl:
Love you, man. <3

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I dig that. How come Venusaur is so low for you when it comes to the idea of having a playable Venusaur fighter in your controls? Did the Earthquake using Venusaur not impress you enough?:troll: We could of had an identical :GCD::GCB: Quake attack like :4dk:.

I'm not questioning Blastoise or Bulbasaur because I see those being hype to play as in Smash if we're still in dream world.

Personally they should of replaced Jigglypuff & Pichu in Melee with Feraligatr & Typhlosion. . .despite that Cyndaquil pokeball.
It's not that I would hate Venusaur, it's just I personally prefer his other evolutions before him.

I agree with your last statement. Or, I'd prefer that.

Zynux

Smash Lord
I think the Alfonzo thing is kinda dumb anyway when you could already have up to 4 Toon Links fighting eachother on any stage.
Not to mention the fact that the Toon Link conducting the train was such low-quality model and poly that even on a 3DS screen you would have to be blind to confuse them.

Im starting to belieb again... Idk why Im randomly regaining hope lol.
My mood swings by the hour. 1 minute, I don't believe we're getting anymore; the next I think we're getting 10.

Safest bet is to believe we've seen the final roster though.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
It's not that I would hate Venusaur, it's just I personally prefer his other evolutions before him.

I agree with your last statement. Or, I'd prefer that.
It's the canopy palmtree flower, isn't it?:c I'm just adulting at this point now, thanks for your inputs Rawkuhfin.:shades:

My mood swings by the hour. 1 minute, I don't believe we're getting anymore; the next I think we're getting 10.

Your post about mood swings brought me to a quick thought:
Smash 64 estimate number: 10
Smash Melee estimate: 30
Smash Brawl estimate: 40
Smash 4 estimate: 60?

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Not to mention the fact that the Toon Link conducting the train was such low-quality model and poly that even on a 3DS screen you would have to be blind to confuse them.

I know but the beiber he's calling out my favs with his siren song, I keep hearing them in the back of my mind... :estatic:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom