• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
WAIT NO I DIDNT MEAN THAT EGGAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Serious note: Possible Ness reveal tomorrow? Apparently it's EarthBound's birthday or something. Meta Knight was also revealed on a Wednesday.

Who am I kidding about reveals, the roster is almost fully leaked.
I'm looking forward to Ness' life anniversary sometime for a PotD this week. It's reasonable wishful thinking imo.

I thought for sure your last word being "leaked" said "naked" Which i would of agreed even more.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I'm looking forward to Ness' life anniversary sometime for a PotD this week. It's reasonable wishful thinking imo.

I thought for sure your last word being "leaked" said "naked" Which i would of agreed even more.
More reasonable wishful thinking than thinking Mewtwo would get revealed on his movie's anniversary in July :sadsheep:

you pervert

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
More reasonable wishful thinking than thinking Mewtwo would get revealed on his movie's anniversary in July :sadsheep:

you pervert
True, game anniversaries are more meaningful in this sense than movie dates. Despite that movie being great & made everyone like Mewtwo from there on. Sad sheep with bright colors seems like blasphemy.

I'm not always perverted, but when I am it helps the world go round & round.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
True, game anniversaries are more meaningful in this sense than movie dates. Despite that movie being great & made everyone like Mewtwo from there on. Sad sheep with bright colors seems like blasphemy.

I'm not always perverted, but when I am it helps the world go round & round.
sad liquid is sad and leaks liquid from his eyes :crying:

jk lol.

Freud was right

Wishful thinking would be Mewtwo getting revealed alongside ness, I mean they both have psychic powahs

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
sad liquid is sad and leaks liquid from his eyes :crying:

jk lol.
Freud was right

Wishful thinking would be Mewtwo getting revealed alongside ness, I mean they both have psychic powahs
Along with a newcomer reveal of Isaac. :D

PuffSmash

Smash Apprentice
Squirtle.... as a Jigglypuff Alt
I think you need to rethink what you're trying to say here
This is what I was afraid of. That was just an example I suppose better examples would be...
Peach alt is daisy
Yoshi alt is birdo
Just examples but my point is that even though it shows "Bowser Jr" on the roster the koopalings are on there too. Same with Olimar/Alph So how many other characters are there that we don't know about?

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
This is what I was afraid of. That was just an example I suppose better examples would be...
Peach alt is daisy
Yoshi alt is birdo
Just examples but my point is that even though it shows "Bowser Jr" on the roster the koopalings are on there too. So how many other characters are there that we don't know about?
Alts like Daisy for Peach and Birdo for Yoshi are fairly simple guesses. Sheik could potentially have Impa (or Impa could go the route of Dark Pit and Co.)

Lucina could easily have recolors based on other FE female characters. I for one would love to see an alt based on Eirika.

Ike could have alts or recolors based on other FE male characters as well, and Marth have a Roy alt.

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
You know...I'll bite.

I really hope Pichu returns as a Pikachu alt at least. :p Would love to see that adorable little guy return like that if alts like Alph exist for Olimar and the Koopalings for Bowser Jr.. xD Heck, even Raichu would be awesome.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
It's actually happening eeryone.

Nintendo is going to make all their games one universe.
It is Disneying it up.
They see the power of Smash.
Hey are taking it everywhere.

It will all be a cross over!
Pokemon and Tekken!
Dynasty Hyrule!
Mario Kart everything!

I'm gonna weep!

bring on Pokemon FPS/Open world RPG

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
I'm not trying to come at anyone who's said this, but I really hate the idea that the 3DS version should've been abandoned. To begin with, making a 3DS version is an extraordinarily smart move for Nintendo, opening the field for an entire demographic that otherwise hasn't been reached. The 3DS is such a success that they'd be crazy NOT to go there, and the current generation of gaming highly favors handhelds.

If anything, making a Wii U version is a gamble. They're basically making an entirely different game with cross-platform connectivity, but with the Wii U's current sales history, it's risky to go to those lengths. Naturally, I expect that they'll pull through (as usual), but the company obviously values the 3DS as much or more than the Wii U.

Moral of the story: Be thankful that you're getting a Wii U version instead of using the 3DS as a scapegoat for not liking the roster. If you're going to be upset (which you have every right to be), take issue with the development team's decision to keep the two rosters the same.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Technically they are models and potentially voices, not just textures. Changing just the textures, as far as I'm aware, just makes it a pure recolor. To make a full alt like that they need to actually create an entirely new model, and in some cases, record new voices.
On this note as well, people comment 'OH, they need to record VOICES!'
Well, I just want to point out, the level of recording done for a Smash character should take about an hour- which means they would probably get paid for half a day as a safety net. It is extremely simple recordings, and there are not may things to record.

Any professional should be able to get it done exceptionally quickly- the allotted time overage would strictly be for technical difficulty, or other problems which always occur.

An hour is even an overstatement.

WHEN DID ISABELLE become the second most prominent Animal Crossing Character?

Last edited:

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
Moral of the story: Be thankful that you're getting a Wii U version instead of using the 3DS as a scapegoat for not liking the roster. If you're going to be upset (which you have every right to be), take issue with the development team's decision to keep the two rosters the same.
My main concern with the game is that it will feel gimped because of the 3ds version. It's like when you play a portable game that's been ported to a console, but you know that it's running on the same limitations that a console would easily pass by. (Like not being able to crawl in peace walker, or BBS in the upcoming 2.5 having only one playable character without party members)
this could be easily overshadowed by the gameplay itself with the characters being fleshed out, i'll just have to wait and see.

WHEN DID ISABELLE become the second most prominent Animal Crossing Character?
Mario Kart devs are still bitter from paying off their house payments to Nook, so he was out of the question.

Maxilian

Smash Ace
It's actually happening eeryone.

Nintendo is going to make all their games one universe.
It is Disneying it up.
They see the power of Smash.
Hey are taking it everywhere.

It will all be a cross over!
Pokemon and Tekken!
Dynasty Hyrule!
Super Smash Bros. Kart!

I'm gonna weep!

bring on Pokemon FPS/Open world RPG
Fixed!

OT: Yeah i agree that these confirm DLC for SSB and it most likely will come with the AMIIBOS

Peach alt is daisy
Yoshi alt is birdo
Just examples but my point is that even though it shows "Bowser Jr" on the roster the koopalings are on there too. Same with Olimar/Alph So how many other characters are there that we don't know about?
I agree, there are some character that can be skins for others but there should always be a limit, also... i wouldn't say Yoshi alt Birdo (cause they are pretty different) you can go with Bossy or someone like that

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Well damndify, there being 8 alternate costumes / palettes, & BowserJr. geting the koopalings as the 7 others, then we can easily have Birdo & Bossy as alternates to boot with the Yoshi Rainbow. Seriously, 8 alternates for every character? Hypothetically speaking as if that's true & will happen, Sonic having alternates that closely resemble other characters from his universe is easily do-able. Pichu YoungLink & Roy can all be an alternate palette for Pikachu Link & Marth. While we're at it, lets wonder if instead of the Metal Box proc speculation, why not just give Peach Daisy, Pink Gold Peach, & NekoPeach as alternates too. Mario too, he needs some character palettes from MK8.:joyful:

Maxilian

Smash Ace
Well damndify, there being 8 alternate costumes / palettes, & BowserJr. geting the koopalings as the 7 others, then we can easily have Birdo & Bossy as alternates to boot with the Yoshi Rainbow. Seriously, 8 alternates for every character? Hypothetically speaking as if that's true & will happen, Sonic having alternates that closely resemble other characters from his universe is easily do-able. Pichu YoungLink & Roy can all be an alternate palette for Pikachu Link & Marth. While we're at it, lets wonder if instead of the Metal Box proc speculation, why not just give Peach Daisy, Pink Gold Peach, & NekoPeach as alternates too. Mario too, he needs some character palettes from MK8.:joyful:
The only problem that i found with your idea is... TOO MANY MARIO THINGS!!!

Mario have already the most characters with the leak (is not hard to understand that... cause is Mario)

But are you also going to give it 13 skins for the Mario universe too?! that's a little too much :p

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
Isabelle was basically the deuteragonist of New Leaf, though since she wasn't in the first three installments and probably won't play that big of a role in the fifth game I would still list her as least fourth or below.

But anyway, more Mario stuff is a good thing.... I guess that Mario theory was true :p

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
The only problem that i found with your idea is... TOO MANY MARIO THINGS!!!

Mario have already the most characters with the leak (is not hard to understand that... cause is Mario)

But are you also going to give it 13 skins for the Mario universe too?! that's a little too much :p
Considering BowserJr. is getting 7 alts of the other koopalings, then why not stop there & see Dry Bowser & Dark Bowser too. Shadow Mario, Fire Mario, Tanooki Mario, & more. Luigi, Peach, & Rosalina can all get potential costumes too, more Mario!

Last edited:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Considering BowserJr. is getting 7 alts of the other koopalings, then why not stop there & see Dry Bowser & Dark Bowser too. Shadow Mario, Fire Mario, Tanooki Mario, & more. Luigi, Peach, & Rosalina can all get potential costumes too, more Mario!
I can't tell if you're angry or serious right now.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
The Koopalings thing is NOT confirmed yet. Its highly speculated, and quite possible, but its still not at all confirmed, so don't take it for granted.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I can't tell if you're angry or serious right now.
I'm open to Mario discussion.;) Mario's a big franchise right? Alternate palettes is a good way to show off character origins too, so why not show off all the origins that Mario can do!

I'm a decent person who would get neither angry nor serious.
The Koopalings thing is NOT confirmed yet. Its highly speculated, and quite possible, but its still not at all confirmed, so don't take it for granted.
No worries, I was going off on a hypothetical tangent and didn't mean to express full belief for it.

Last edited:

Maxilian

Smash Ace
I know! and that's the problem! why not give character of others like Fox Mccloud as James Mccloud, Link with the Ocarina looks, Zelda with the Ocarina looks, Ganondorf with Ocarina Looks, Pikachu as female Pikachu (different tail) and Raychu, Captain Falcon as Blood Falcon (or someone else), etc...

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Here are the alts that I'd like to see:

Pac-Man → Ms. Pac-Man
Mr. Game & Watch → Ms. Game & Watch
Charizard → Shiny Charizard
Greninja → Shiny Greninja
Yoshi → Boshi
Bowser → Rookie or Dry Bowser
Pikachu → Raichu or Female Pikachu

Below are pictures of the alts that I've listed above:
or
or

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
I'm open to Mario discussion.;) Mario's a big franchise right? Alternate palettes is a good way to show off character origins too, so why not show off all the origins that Mario can do!

I'm a decent person who would get neither angry nor serious.
Just checking, cuz if you were raging, I was going to join you.
MFW no Pink Gold Peach recolor.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Well that woman appear in one of the stages of Mr G&W in Brawl
THAT WAS MS. G&W?!. . .I thought it was just another G&W-esque shopper at the gas station / barbecue on grass / grill trap of grilling cooks.

But yeah I still would like some origins filled in for a character via palettes. Pokemon showing off either little decorations of past pokemon accessories like Ash's hat, female design for Pikachu, & the shiny variation, just like how I feel all the pokemon should have their shiny variation in a palette.
Just checking, cuz if you were raging, I was going to join you.
MFW no Pink Gold Peach recolor.
True. I wanted her to be a Metal Box proc at first, but thinking about it now I doubt they'd even do that. Your face is quite beautiful to not have a PGP recolor. .
IMO everytime Peach takes the Metal Box she should transform into Pink Gold Peach instead of Metal Peach
That's what they SHOULD do, but I doubt they would.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Can we take a moment to ponder that the last 36 hours has brought us

• Video footage and photos of the Smash Leak
  • Pokken Fighters reveal
  • Super Smash Kart with a lot of new courses (aka, listening to fans)
Both Nintendo and Pokemon are trending Twitter right now.
I'm... I'm just so happy.

*hopefully this adds some credence to market theory*

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Can we take a moment to ponder that the last 36 hours has brought us

• Video footage and photos of the Smash Leak
  • Pokken Fighters reveal
  • Super Smash Kart with a lot of new courses (aka, listening to fans)
Both Nintendo and Pokemon are trending Twitter right now.
I'm... I'm just so happy.

*hopefully this adds some credence to market theory*
You know the only thing I'm upset with about Super Smash Kart is?
No Captain Falcon, but includes F-Zero content & HIS BLUE FALCON. /endrant
Away from that, I'm extremely happy at all the new games coming soon, props to Nintendo & Pokemon.

Maxilian

Smash Ace
You know the only thing I'm upset with about Super Smash Kart is?
No Captain Falcon, but includes F-Zero content & HIS BLUE FALCON. /endrant
Away from that, I'm extremely happy at all the new games coming soon, props to Nintendo & Pokemon.
I'm mostly bothered by the fact that we get another 2 Mario and Peachs to the roster... we now have 5 Mario and Peachs!, these was why these Mario Kart 8 got a lot of critics on the roster (everything else was great!)

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I'm mostly bothered by the fact that we get another 2 Mario and Peachs to the roster... we now have 5 Mario and Peachs!, these was why these Mario Kart 8 got a lot of critics on the roster (everything else was great!)
That's understandable, I never purchased a single Mario Kart game yet played with friends when the game was brought up to play party-wise. For this to pertain to Smash, having 7 Mario characters in their series, & the 4 minor mario characters with their own series, it's 1/5th of the roster. This is why I want any Mario characters at all to be via palettes. So it doesn't overflow that much into the fighters in the roster. Poor Diddy Kong players still not getting that guy in MK8. .:ohwell:

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Yet, no Doctor Mario.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970

Design of the PotD matches the leak perfectly. Two of the pictures are even unlocked in the same place.

I could barely understand the doubt before, but I can now say, 100% certain, without a doubt, if you are claiming these leaks are still fake, it's nothing short of delusion. Not only is the design the same, the pictures are the same, there is no way that they could get this, along with the classic modes and spectator modes spot on.

For reference:

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
The fact that Sakurai has, two days in a row, shown images almost directly from the leak, shows me that he is not only aware of the leak, but playing into it.

This bodes well for my theory that he expected (or assumed) the roster would either be leaked, or that it easily could be leaked, (as Brawl's was) or... at least that the games roster would be leaked moments after the game cartridge was received (or sold early) at a location in Japan. In short- the likelihood of the roster getting out early, to the masses, was almost inevitable. The community for this game is huge- just look at E3 being won by smash single-handedly; or the regularly updated website with info on the game (over a year old); or this forum (and all the others) with thousands of regular posters.

Sakurai would have known of this being likely

And given Sakurai's love for surprise, and the fact that the roster was not told to us before the leak, and in fact, this month of updates before the release has been not only nonchalant but pretty abdicative of responsibility...this just... really screams that he has more characters than what COULD have possibly been leaked, or at least, it screams this to me. Or, in other words, that the cartridge never had the full roster in the first place.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
The fact that Sakurai has, two days in a row, shown images almost directly from the leak, shows me that he is not only aware of the leak, but playing into it.

This bodes well for my theory that he expected (or assumed) the roster would either be leaked, or that it easily could be leaked, (as Brawl's was) or... at least that the games roster would be leaked moments after the game cartridge was received (or sold early) at a location in Japan. In short- the likelihood of the roster getting out early, to the masses, was almost inevitable. The community for this game is huge- just look at E3 being won by smash single-handedly; or the regularly updated website with info on the game (over a year old); or this forum (and all the others) with thousands of regular posters.

Sakurai would have known of this being likely

And given Sakurai's love for surprise, and the fact that the roster was not told to us before the leak, and in fact, this month of updates before the release has been not only nonchalant but pretty abdicative of responsibility...this just... really screams that he has more characters than what COULD have possibly been leaked, or at least, it screams this to me. Or, in other words, that the cartridge never had the full roster in the first place.
I do agree that there are probably other surprises, because the leaked roster isn't that hype inducing overall. From what I have heard, Sakurai gradually provides updates of the game to NoA and they don't always have the most up-to-date build, but I'd rather not get my hopes up too much.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Guess I'll post the "eh" 4chan info her so that morning goers have more to discuss. G'night all.

Not from me, but from a supposed NoA employee. Chose to reveal as little about himself as possible, just because what happened with the recent leaker, which he says is HUGE deal right now. I bolded the big stuff.

"- The leak is legit, which I think is common sense by now.

- There are in fact FOUR characters left to be revealed, three newcomers and one veteran.
Ridley - unlocked by going through classic mode 10 times on any difficulty with Samus or Zero Suit Samus OR win a match on Pyrosphere as Samus or Zero Suit Samus (Wii U)
Isabelle - you unlock her when you summon her assist trophy while playing as Villager OR summon her assist trophy 10 times total
Dixie Kong - unlock her by playing 5 team matches with Diddy Kong as either player OR complete Smash Run as Diddy Kong
Mewtwo - 20 hours total play time in versus mode or 500 total versus mode matches

- Here's how you unlock the other characters shown in the leak.
Bowser Jr. - achieve a high score of 50,000 OR higher is Target blast as Bowser or complete Classic Mode on any intensity
Duck Hunt - get a perfect clear on Target Blast with every character OR play 250 total versus mode matches
Dr. Mario - complete Classic Mode or Smash Run with Mario without losing any continues OR play 100 total versus mode matches
Dark Pit - lose 10 matches (any mode) while playing as Pit OR lose the finale of Smash Run while playing as Pit
Shulk - complete Smash Run on the highest intensity while playing as R.O.B. OR complete classic mode once as each newcomer (rosalina, palutena, robin, lucina, little mac, greninja, villager, wii fit trainer

- Snake is cut, but he and Gray Fox do have trophies

- Isabelle is a Villager clone with a few differences. Her Down Special grows a fruit tree that bears and drops fruit instead of letting you chop it down for instance. Dash Attack she comically trips, letting fly a barrage of papers that stagger but do little damage. Nintendo is pushing to make her and Villager the faces of Animal Crossing, as is further shown with the new MK8 DLC.

- On Ridley. It's a new model, but mostly based on the Other M design but in smaller and in flight. He looks more like a gargoyle or something flying. Side Special is a swoop that passes through opponents and makes him face the opposite direction after it ends. If you use it again back that direction without the ending lag. Down Smash he floats into the air with his tail pointing downward then slams down, implanting anyone hit. Forward Aerial is a flip kind of like Charizard's Neutral Aerial from Brawl. He plays like Wolf, but using the same new always airborne mechanic that Bowser Jr. does. he looks great. hes flying mostly upright, with his arms and legs in a semi-crouched position, tail twitching behind him. hes the stage boss. he just enters in a cut-scene attacking whichever player is "winning" the match and then stays to fight one stock. Sakurai is aware that he is highly requested in the west, thats why he is being treated this way.

- Unless there is future DLC, as of right now, Ice Climbers, Lucas, and Wolf are cut for good.

- Isaac is once again an AT, the same as he was before.

- Details on Duck Hunt's gameplay
The dog runs on all fours with one duck circling above. They take turns performing moves. Up Special the duck starts flapping and leaves the dog behind, he has to jump up and bite onto its feathers to be lifted up. Down Special the dog sniffs the ground and gets an exclamation mark over its head, letting it move faster while running toward the nearest opponent at the time. The effect goes away after a few moments. Side Special the dog rears up on its hind legs and motions with its paw, sending a different duck divebombing forward. It pierces through opponents and flies back. If it hits nothing the duck sticks up in the ground on its beak and has to be recollected to use the move again. Neutral Special a bush sprouts up at the location. Pressing B again lets you hide in it. While hidden a cursor appears letting you fire in a certain radius. If the bush is attacked a few times it disperses and reveals you. You can only have one bush on-stage at a time. Final smash is like the above, but with a much larger radius and firework effects as it ends.

- Mach Rider is a trophy and Impa isn't in the game at all to my knowledge.

- DLC isn't being discussed right now, or if it is, it's being kept very secretly. The plan right now is to worry about DLC after release.

- Hades (basically Tabuu reskin) is the final boss of classic mode on the highest intensity

- Dr. Mario's Final Smash is a slower thinner copy of Mario's and Mewtwo's is Mega Mewtwo Y, just a powered up form like Lucario's Mega Evolution.

- There isn't a Rhythm Heaven rep, no clue why every fake leak seems to be pushing them so much. A Rhythm Heaven character was considered but that was an amalgamation thing and never made it very far. The Sneaky Spirits are in Smash Run because Sakurai wanted more handheld enemies. There are also enemies from Tomato Adventure and For the Frog for Whom the Bell Tolls.

- Dixie is a Diddy clone with a few differences. She uses her hair for a few moves and is a little slower.

- Sakurai doesn't consider any characters clones at all. They are attribute swaps. Easy to make characters that buff up the roster without as much man hours.

- No info on reveal dates, not my department."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom