• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
You're kinda cutting Rhythm Heaven the short end of the stick here if you really think the dev team couldn't work with such a blank slate. They've done a pretty great job with blank slates many times before:
:4falcon::4fox::4greninja::4pit::4zelda::popo::gw::rob:
I agree with all those characters, but I think Mr. Game & Watch had a lot of potential.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Game_&_Watch_games
They're not the most in-depth games, but there are plenty of games to create a moveset with.

Louie G.

Smash Hero

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Proving a Rhythm Heaven rep to have even more potential.
Since there are three games worth of minigames to collect source material from.
There are a lot more than three G&W games to pull material from. I remember at least 5 G&W gallery titles. Although idk how many mini games are in a rhythm heaven game.

Not saying that rhythm heaven reps don't have potential. I just think you're downplaying G&W there a little.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
But I actually believe he's in the game.

He's my most wanted character for a reason, you know. If I chose simply who I liked the best, I would've actively supported Midna instead.
Oh.
I don't necessarily see that personally, but I suppose I can leave you be with that then. I still think having a Rhythm Heaven character is essential in any roster striving to be somewhat realistic.
I agree with all those characters, but I think Mr. Game & Watch had a lot of potential.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Game_&_Watch_games
They're not the most in-depth games, but there are plenty of games to create a moveset with.
My point there was that he was a blank slate when it came to creating a moveset, since there wasn't any definitive moves to go with. He always had potential, but Mr. Game & Watch was pretty much open to anyone's interpretation to begin with.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
There are a lot more than three G&W games to pull material from. I remember at least 5 G&W gallery titles. Although idk how many mini games are in a rhythm heaven game.

Not saying that rhythm heaven reps don't have potential. I just think you're downplaying G&W there a little.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean that Game and Watch has less potential, I meant Rhythm Heaven has more than many people are saying it does.

But even then we have like, at least 150 minigames to pull from.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Yeah, but the difference is that Rhythm Heaven characters do one very specific thing over and over again.
To have Chorus Men, have as much moveset potential as Mr. Game & Watch he would have to pull elements from games he doesn't even appear in.
Which would be all but one.

Morbi

Scavenger
I'm sorry, I didn't mean that Game and Watch has less potential, I meant Rhythm Heaven has more than many people are saying it does.

Albeit, I am not sure why it is entirely plausible to believe that Chorus Men would have move-set inspiration from unrelated mini-games, or are they (Chorus Men) related to all 150 mini-games? Furthermore, how many of those "150" mini-games can even be translated into attacks in the first place? Are all Rhythm Heaven mini-games THAT physical? I thought it was a "rhythm" based game. I am not sure, honestly, I am going to have to go out and purchase the game to figure out why people feel as though these mini-games would make the "perfect" move-set for Chorus Men.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859

150 may be more than the total G&W games actually, haha. But I agree, people who try to argue that chorus men (or really, any character) shouldn't be in because they don't have moveset potential just aren't worth talking to. It's such a moot point...

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Albeit, I am not sure why it is entirely plausible to believe that Chorus Men would have move-set inspiration from unrelated mini-games, or are they (Chorus Men) related to all 150 mini-games? Furthermore, how many of those "150" mini-games can even be translated into attacks in the first place? Are all Rhythm Heaven mini-games THAT physical? I thought it was a "rhythm" based game. I am not sure, honestly, I am going to have to go out and purchase the game to figure out why people feel as though these mini-games would make the "perfect" move-set for Chorus Men.
I said a Rhythm Heaven character in general, not Chorus Kids. And when did I say every minigame was "perfect" for them?

However, being music based opens up several opportunities, and being a trio opens up even more.
Tons of minigames in the Rhythm Heaven franchise can lend themselves to Smash very well. You just have to be creative. Rhythm Heaven isn't a physical game per se, but Animal Crossing sure isn't either.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Yeah, but the difference is that Rhythm Heaven characters do one very specific thing over and over again.
To have Chorus Men, have as much moveset potential as Mr. Game & Watch he would have to pull elements from games he doesn't even appear in.
Which would be all but one.
That's kind of why they would work, though, they are such blank states that it would make sense for them to summon other RH characters or take moves from their mini-games.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
150 may be more than the total G&W games actually, haha. But I agree, people who try to argue that chorus men (or really, any character) shouldn't be in because they don't have moveset potential just aren't worth talking to. It's such a moot point...
Well, to be fair, move set potential does matter for some characters depending on the situation (the most obvious example being Chrom). Though yes, in most cases, move set potential isn't something that would keep a character from being in Smash, since just about any character has the potential to be unique and fun to play as (unless, of course, you're Chrom).

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Well, to be fair, move set potential does matter for some characters depending on the situation (the most obvious example being Chrom). Though yes, in most cases, move set potential isn't something that would keep a character from being in Smash, since just about any character has the potential to be unique and fun to play as (unless, of course, you're Chrom).
Chrom wasn't a case of being too hard to find a unique moveset, it was that Robin presented a much easier way to do so, and a better representation of the series as a whole, and got his spot.

There are so many things from the FE games, especially new stuff from awakening they could work into someone like his move set. While I'm very happy that Robin got in over Chrom, detractors who were saying Chrom shouldn't be in because he couldn't be unique were talking out of their ass.

That isn't demeaning, or anything...
fair enough, I'll add an addendum. Aren't worth talking to about that subject. That is more to the point of what I was trying to say. Having one incorrect view doesn't make someone not worth talking to.

Last edited:

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Personally, I would take anyone (especially retooled Pichu) tomorrow.

Question: What kind of reveal would Dr. Mario get? Veteran, side note in a trailer for maybe Wario or someone related, or a gameplay trailer of his own? I'm leading towards the second, especially with Wario. A trailer with the good Doctor inspecting Wario's stomach, only for him to waft away would be hilarious.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I said a Rhythm Heaven character in general, not Chorus Kids. And when did I say every minigame was "perfect" for them?

However, being music based opens up several opportunities, and being a trio opens up even more.
Tons of minigames in the Rhythm Heaven franchise can lend themselves to Smash very well. You just have to be creative. Rhythm Heaven isn't a physical game per se, but Animal Crossing sure isn't either.
I did not insinuate that you were asserting anything to ANY effect; I was piggy-backing off of your post, this is indicated by my very first word.

Last edited:

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
so wario might be a reveal tomorrow or part of a trailer. good to hear.
Question: What kind of reveal would Dr. Mario get? Veteran, side note in a trailer for maybe Wario or someone related, or a gameplay trailer of his own? I'm leading towards the second, especially with Wario. A trailer with the good Doctor inspecting Wario's stomach, only for him to waft away would be hilarious.
Perfect.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Wario being "revealed" on the eShop doesn't mean much to me. We all know he's in the game. Smash Bros. being listed as one of his credits on the eShop probably is in the same vein as the Robot Chicken skit, where they just took Smash veterans than are also prominent Nintendo characters, confirmed or not, and featured them for the sake of diversity.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Chrom wasn't a case of being too hard to find a unique moveset, it was that Robin presented a much easier way to do so, and a better representation of the series as a whole, and got his spot.

There are so many things from the FE games, especially new stuff from awakening they could work into someone like his move set. While I'm very happy that Robin got in over Chrom, detractors who were saying Chrom shouldn't be in because he couldn't be unique were talking out of their ***.
Well, Sakurai also mentioned how Chrom was too similar to Marth and Ike and didn't offer anything unique with them already present. Of course, that's why he chose Robin, who could offer much more as a unique character and would better represent Fire Emblem. It was a rather unique situation where a character that normally would have gotten in wasn't different enough from other characters from the same series to stand out, and while the character in question could have been unique, there happened to be a perfectly viable alternative option available that would be more ideal, so they decided to go with that instead. Most potential characters do not have that sort of problem.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
If you want to get technical, there are actually just 77 unique minigames in the Rhythm Heaven series. The rest are remixes and sequels, which are mishmashes of the other minigames and more challenging versions of them respectively.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Well, Sakurai also mentioned how Chrom was too similar to Marth and Ike and didn't offer anything unique with them already present. Of course, that's why he chose Robin, who could offer much more as a unique character and would better represent Fire Emblem. It was a rather unique situation where a character that normally would have gotten in wasn't different enough from other characters from the same series to stand out, and while the character in question could have been unique, there happened to be a perfectly viable alternative option available that would be more ideal, so they decided to go with that instead. Most potential characters do not have that sort of problem.
Sakurai commented that another fighter of a similar style would be boring. He never said it would be impossible to make Chrom a unique moveset. That's the only point I'm really arguing here. I'm 100% for Robin>Chrom, and I agree that another similar sword wielder would be boring. And Robin is technically the protagonist of the game, so this specific situation is very unique. Chrom's face is on the box, Robin is the player. I'd argue that Chrom only slightly edges out Robin in terms of importance to the game, but Robin's overwhelmingly better moveset potential is what got Chrom convincingly pushed out.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Sakurai commented that another fighter of a similar style would be boring. He never said it would be impossible to make Chrom a unique moveset. That's the only point I'm really arguing here. I'm 100% for Robin>Chrom, and I agree that another similar sword wielder would be boring. And Robin is technically the protagonist of the game, so this specific situation is very unique. Chrom's face is on the box, Robin is the player. I'd argue that Chrom only slightly edges out Robin in terms of importance to the game, but Robin's underwhelmingly better moveset potential is what got Chrom convincingly pushed out.
Oh, I never meant to suggest that Chrom could not possibly be unique. He definitely could have been. He's just not an ideal choice, for reasons you pointed out.

My main point about the whole matter is that move set potential is usually not an issue for characters, except in very specific situations. The lineup of Fire Emblem characters happened to be on of those very specific situations, in which case Chrom's somewhat low move set potential and similarities to other characters on the roster led Sakurai to choose someone else over him. Most characters, whether it be Wii Fit Trainer, Little Mac, or Chorus Men, do not have those kinds of issues, and thus their move set potential is easy to take advantage of.

epicgordan

Smash Ace
Wario being "revealed" on the eShop doesn't mean much to me. We all know he's in the game. Smash Bros. being listed as one of his credits on the eShop probably is in the same vein as the Robot Chicken skit, where they just took Smash veterans than are also prominent Nintendo charactewrs, confirmed or not, and featured them for the sake of diversity.
So Robot Chicken is now directly tied in some way to Smash Brothers? Riiiiight.

But what is relevant about Wario's leak is that it may be implied that he'll get revealed at SDCC alongside another newcomer--most likely a Rhythm Heaven rep of some sort (Chorus Kids, perhaps?). Not that you'd want to hear that sort of "nonsense."

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Oh, I never meant to suggest that Chrom could not possibly be unique. He definitely could have been. He's just not an ideal choice, for reasons you pointed out.

My main point about the whole matter is that move set potential is usually not an issue for characters, except in very specific situations. The lineup of Fire Emblem characters happened to be on of those very specific situations, in which case Chrom's somewhat low move set potential and similarities to other characters on the roster led Sakurai to choose someone else over him. Most characters, whether it be Wii Fit Trainer, Little Mac, or Chorus Men, do not have those kinds of issues, and thus their move set potential is easy to take advantage of.
Eh, I'd still argue that it's not the moveset, it's the entire set of visual similarities to the other FE lords that were already playable. Marth, the girl with blue hair a cape, and a sword. Ike, the big guy with blue hair, a tattered cape, and a bigger sword. Chrom, the guy of similar proportions to Marth with blue hair, a cape, and a sword. Lucina, Marth's twin sister, with longer blue hair, a cape, and a sword.

I could go on but I'm sure you get my point from there. I'd argue that this isn't a unique situation where the moveset issues decided it, rather it was a unique situation where the similarity in character design decided it. It may be small, but there is a distinction there, and I think it's important. If Robin had been a much less important character, not as central to the plot, Chrom would've gotten the spot regardless, I think. Sakurai did play through the game, so he understands the characters.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
You completely missed the point of what I am trying to say.

Not that you'd want to hear that sort of "nonsense."
Also, what did I say that would warrant such hostility anyway?

Last edited:

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430

First post-gematsu roster I've posted, feels liberating.
Matthew > Isaac due to the art shift from the first two games to Dark Dawn making him a better rep for what the series (most likely) will look like in the future.
Karate Joe is RH rep of choice. Not much else to say.
Zelda newcomer, I don't care who they are. Could be Ganon, Vaati, Impa, Toon Zelda, Ghirahim. With Tingle deconfirmed, I have no worries putting this placeholder on my roster. I'm happy so long as we get someone from that series.
Oh, Ganondorf gets decloned with Black Shadow inheriting his moveset. Preferably using Melee!Ganondorf as the base.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Double Posting Warning Received, Be More Careful Next Time. But No, You're Not Dead. :P

But what is relevant about Wario's leak is that it may be implied that he'll get revealed at SDCC alongside another newcomer--most likely a Rhythm Heaven rep of some sort (Chorus Kids, perhaps?). Not that you'd want to hear that sort of "nonsense."
Let the man have his own opinion. Even though it's WRONG. :troll:

I mean, it's been made clear many many many many many times over that not everyone is so confident about a RH rep.

And the Robot Chicken skit he was referring to was the whole Nintendo Digital Event, not the actual damn show.

Matthew > Isaac due to the art shift from the first two games to Dark Dawn making him a better rep for what the series (most likely) will look like in the future.
Zelda newcomer, I don't care who they are. Could be Ganon, Vaati, Impa, Toon Zelda, Ghirahim. With Tingle deconfirmed, I have no worries putting this placeholder on my roster. I'm happy so long as we get someone from that series.
Oh, Ganondorf gets decloned with Black Shadow inheriting his moveset. Preferably using Melee!Ganondorf as the base.
Pretty good. I just think that Isaac would be the better rep than Matthew for the all-around franchise, as he is more iconic.

And there's no Lucas...

Oh Good lord I double-post. Moderators, help me!

Last edited by a moderator:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Oh Good lord I double-post. Moderators, help me!
You're a dead man

No ridley makes me sad, but I understand it
No Lucas makes me sad, I don't think he'd be cut before wolf, but I understand it
Black shadow/ganon thing seems unlikely to me, and has been hyped because of the PM vote, but I do like the idea.

Matthew > Isaac I don't see happening. We got Marth as the prioritized FE lord in Melee, even though there were a host of newer ones. I think the face that starts the series will be represented first.

Overall a bit meh to me, but it's all due to opinion reasons. I don't see Karate Joe or Matthew happening at all, personally, but other than that I think it's fairly realistic outlook .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom