• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rant / Other Character Crisis + trying to deal with this game stressing me out

boysilver400

Smash Apprentice
Hey. I’ve considered :ultkirby: to be my main since brawl, when I was playing casually, but Kirby just ain’t it in this game. But the problem is that I suck with almost every other character. I’ve been labbing with...pretty much every character in the game to very little prevail. There are a few easy characters I’ve considered easy and effective characters I considered to be secondaries (:ultwolf::ultpalutena::ultlucina:) and I’ve also tried and thought about more technical, difficult characters(:ultsnake::ultpichu::ultfox: :ultgreninja:)but I’m not succeeding with them either. I always tell myself that I need to step away from Kirby until he gets significant buffs but I keep running back to him after trying out and getting bodied with other characters, so at this point, I don’t know what to do.

I also have issues with getting easily tilted, especially in this online climate, where I mostly play since I don’t have the time or money to go to locals. I’m embarrassed to admit it, but I’ve RQ’d quite a few times online, both in arenas and quick play, the latter is usually when I get a rule set I didn’t want. I don’t do this because I think the opponent didn’t deserve to win, it’s more of a way to soothe my anger and annoyance. However I have started to legitimately block people for lagging, having an annoying playstyle, or if I get the wrong rule set.

I need to know how to not let this damn game stress me out so much, and solving my character crisis(or Nintendo could just...buff Kirby ffs) would help tremendously. This ****ing game isn’t fun for me anymore.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Have you considered using Peach as a secondary?

As for getting mad about online play: it's just a game. Sometimes you have to just take a break from it, ya know? If not, fool around with some single player modes... enjoy the game casually.

When I lose, I try to learn from my mistakes. Good or not, I try to avoid blaming my losses on the character I'm using. I'm sure you can improve with Kirby instead of praying for buffs. He's not perfect, but he's still decent. Use who's fun for you and try to get better with them. Don't focus on tier lists.

boysilver400

Smash Apprentice
Have you considered using Peach as a secondary?
For a little while I have, but I found her too difficult for me to use since I couldn’t do float canceling consistently. I may consider trying her again, though.

boysilver400

Smash Apprentice
Update: I’ve been trying some :ultrob: recently. He hasn’t been too difficult for me to use, but :ultkirby: and :ultpalutena: still feel better to me. I’m co-maining those two for now, but that could change.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Update: I’ve been trying some :ultrob: recently. He hasn’t been too difficult for me to use, but :ultkirby: and :ultpalutena: still feel better to me. I’m co-maining those two for now, but that could change.
Co-maining Kirby and Palutena sounds like a good idea. I've been having a similar character crisis and decided to main YL and use Wolf as a secondary. Not dropping your main, even if they're a low tier, can have benefits like keeping you interested in the game and also being a lesser played MU.

Online sucks. If you're able to, I suggest looking up locals or facebook groups. I'm lucky enough to have weekly tournaments near me and they're a lot better than playing online. Sometimes you can find smashfests at someone's home. IMO it's worth it to play irl.

Oz o:

Smash Journeyman
Hey. I’ve considered :ultkirby: to be my main since brawl, when I was playing casually, but Kirby just ain’t it in this game. But the problem is that I suck with almost every other character. I’ve been labbing with...pretty much every character in the game to very little prevail. There are a few easy characters I’ve considered easy and effective characters I considered to be secondaries (:ultwolf::ultpalutena::ultlucina:) and I’ve also tried and thought about more technical, difficult characters(:ultsnake::ultpichu::ultfox: :ultgreninja:)but I’m not succeeding with them either. I always tell myself that I need to step away from Kirby until he gets significant buffs but I keep running back to him after trying out and getting bodied with other characters, so at this point, I don’t know what to do.

I also have issues with getting easily tilted, especially in this online climate, where I mostly play since I don’t have the time or money to go to locals. I’m embarrassed to admit it, but I’ve RQ’d quite a few times online, both in arenas and quick play, the latter is usually when I get a rule set I didn’t want. I don’t do this because I think the opponent didn’t deserve to win, it’s more of a way to soothe my anger and annoyance. However I have started to legitimately block people for lagging, having an annoying playstyle, or if I get the wrong rule set.

I need to know how to not let this damn game stress me out so much, and solving my character crisis(or Nintendo could just...buff Kirby ffs) would help tremendously. This ****ing game isn’t fun for me anymore.
Online really isn't a place for people to strive to be competitive, or even improve. Find a way to attend to locals, and your life and quality practice will skyrocket. If you happen to lose in a real tournament setting, it's because it's all up to you.

Don't hop from character to character expecting things to automatically change. It won't always click for everyone to automatically simply perform well picking any character up, unless they have the fundamentals for it. Kirby is by no means a bad character for me, I just think people need to switch their perspective and stop seeing matches as a linear progression of "can" or "can't do".

Assuming online really is your last and only resort, your best bet is to practice some of your character's combos by yourself, and then try to test them out against real people on stuff like Arenas. Go on Discords and try to look up people that meet your criteria (things like availability and location) and help you practice.

Oz o:

Smash Journeyman
Online sucks. If you're able to, I suggest looking up locals or facebook groups. I'm lucky enough to have weekly tournaments near me and they're a lot better than playing online. Sometimes you can find smashfests at someone's home. IMO it's worth it to play irl.
It really is. I always use this example, but I've actually once gotten 3 stocked and reverse 3 stocked on the same set, in tournament. Wasn't anywhere as annoyed as anything For Glory threw at me. I swear, a Pikachu that only Jolts, rolls and F-Smash is far more annoying than anything I've encountered in a real tournament setting. At least in that case, everything falls on me and not annoying lag.

Oz o:

Smash Journeyman
Please delete
No, I read your original message.

Here's the thing, and I want you to hear me out (and everyone else going through similiar issues:

Quickplay isn't for everyone. If you simply want to play Smash and enjoy the experience, it's for you. However, it does get complicated when you genuinely wish to improve. I feel people make the same mistake I've been making, for years. When I practice with my friend and usual opponent (offline, in this case), it seems we go in with the mentality that we always have to one-up each other. In other words, we're basically just going through the motion, and playing to win. That isn't necessarily what's wrong. The issue about this, is that you sacrifice specific kind of practice at times. This could be anything, really. Let's say you want to improve Parrying, but it turns out you're to scared to let go of shield that it makes you afraid to ever drop it, fearing it'll potentially cost you. This goes to anything else, really, and it's what I'm learning right now, after years and years of competitive play.

This is a mistake I feel people constantly make. They aim for higher GSP, so they can get into Elite Smash. Getting more points doesn't necessarily mean you're improving. For all we know, you're beating people through the very worst of habits, that'd easily get you punished in real tournament settings. Hell, this is what I do with my friend every week. We're just beating each other up, and only countering the same exact habits. In my case, I'm starting to let loose and basically play like I don't care. I'm practicing things which I'd otherwise be "afraid" to do, in fear of looking silly, or even losing the match. This is why this is important to stress out. If you really want to improve, try to use these game modes as a place where you can practice certain things, combos, etc, rather than a meassuring stick. It's really not worth it.

Maybe you're not exactly looking to be the best of the best, and that's absolutely fine. Maybe you just want to improve because you find it fun to play well and be good at this game, either of which are perfectly respectable. The thing in all of this is that you should really strive to make an effort and get out there into a real scene. I don't know who you are or what you do, but you do seem passionate about your adorable creature character and that is a good start for me. If you really want to keep going, upload a match you consider you really need help at (certain matchups or things to deal against) and I'll definitely help you through, if you're interested.

Take it from someone's who's basically in the same spot. I've genuinely considered quitting about two weeks ago. I would've actually done it, but I realise I've dreamt for a long time I wanted to be a good player, and I really don't want to go out without causing some sort of wave. I really haven't tried as much as I say I could've. I've also played since Brawl, but I don't have all that much to show for it (and year sorry for the text wall, I really don't know how to convey my thoughts efficiently).

Last edited:

boysilver400

Smash Apprentice
No, I read your original message.

Here's the thing, and I want you to hear me out (and everyone else going through similiar issues:

Quickplay isn't for everyone. If you simply want to play Smash and enjoy the experience, it's for you. However, it does get complicated when you genuinely wish to improve. I feel people make the same mistake I've been making, for years. When I practice with my friend and usual opponent (offline, in this case), it seems we go in with the mentality that we always have to one-up each other. In other words, we're basically just going through the motion, and playing to win. That isn't necessarily what's wrong. The issue about this, is that you sacrifice specific kind of practice at times. This could be anything, really. Let's say you want to improve Parrying, but it turns out you're to scared to let go of shield that it makes you afraid to ever drop it, fearing it'll potentially cost you. This goes to anything else, really, and it's what I'm learning right now, after years and years of competitive play.

This is a mistake I feel people constantly make. They aim for higher GSP, so they can get into Elite Smash. Getting more points doesn't necessarily mean you're improving. For all we know, you're beating people through the very worst of habits, that'd easily get you punished in real tournament settings. Hell, this is what I do with my friend every week. We're just beating each other up, and only countering the same exact habits. In my case, I'm starting to let loose and basically play like I don't care. I'm practicing things which I'd otherwise be "afraid" to do, in fear of looking silly, or even losing the match. This is why this is important to stress out. If you really want to improve, try to use these game modes as a place where you can practice certain things, combos, etc, rather than a meassuring stick. It's really not worth it.

Maybe you're not exactly looking to be the best of the best, and that's absolutely fine. Maybe you just want to improve because you find it fun to play well and be good at this game, either of which are perfectly respectable. The thing in all of this is that you should really strive to make an effort and get out there into a real scene. I don't know who you are or what you do, but you do seem passionate about your adorable creature character and that is a good start for me. If you really want to keep going, upload a match you consider you really need help at (certain matchups or things to deal against) and I'll definitely help you through, if you're interested.

Take it from someone's who's basically in the same spot. I've genuinely considered quitting about two weeks ago. I would've actually done it, but I realise I've dreamt for a long time I wanted to be a good player, and I really don't want to go out without causing some sort of wave. I really haven't tried as much as I say I could've. I've also played since Brawl, but I don't have all that much to show for it (and year sorry for the text wall, I really don't know how to convey my thoughts efficiently).
This...actually helps quite a bit. I've also been feeling like I play too scared and I've actively tried to parry things, but I either release it like a millisecond too early or I get the parry, and I get the wrong input somehow.

I'm also trying to go to a VistaTechThose soon, and I've been getting on Anther's Ladder to practice actual sets. But you pretty much hit the nail on the head; I mostly just want to be somewhat decent at the game because I find it fun. This definitely could change the way I see this game.

Oz o:

Smash Journeyman
This...actually helps quite a bit. I've also been feeling like I play too scared and I've actively tried to parry things, but I either release it like a millisecond too early or I get the parry, and I get the wrong input somehow.

I'm also trying to go to a VistaTechThose soon, and I've been getting on Anther's Ladder to practice actual sets. But you pretty much hit the nail on the head; I mostly just want to be somewhat decent at the game because I find it fun. This definitely could change the way I see this game.
Yeah, I want to help. Like I said, from someone's who's basically going through the same, I feel you.

I've looked it up. It's a weekly series, right? Whatever you can, try to make it happen, at least once in a while. Try getting out there. It gets better when you meet real people, real players. You might meet people that can help you improve and hang out to play, but you've also got to make the effort for it (you know, making friends).

My friend used to basically main Kirby at the start of Ultimate, but he was really never sure of whether he was keeping him or not. His Kirby was actually easily among his best characters, and still randomly pulled him up and 3-stocked my Banjo (I'll pull the full set later, if you want). Even pre-patch, Kirby has always been pretty workable. I still think people need to adapt more and try to work in tandem with the new game's mechanics, rather than try to force the old strategies and try to make them work (like with Zelda).

Oz o:

Smash Journeyman
Playing for yourself and just for the sake of getting better can be of very good taste of it's own, and this is without the toxicity of competitive enviroment can be. I've actually realised last week that I really enjoy the way I play and my ideas, even if they don't always come along well. It is what you make it. Like say, maybe you can enjoy making combo videos (something that gets me motivated to try new things).

It's a game, at the end of the day. Take the things that make you feel better.

boysilver400

Smash Apprentice
I think I might try and comain :ultroy::ultchrom: I've been using them recently and they're probably my best chars other than....Kirby.

Honestly i think the part that's the most frustrating about this game is going back and forth for damn near a year about who to main and who not to main.

i guess ill see how this turns out.

Last edited:

boysilver400

Smash Apprentice
View attachment 240985
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
...I will say that I have no idea if this is permanent or not since I’ve actually changed it to :ultpichu: once after Komota missed the upset on Void in Frostbite

Truth is I’ve been feeling really downcast and low on self confidence and self esteem(which has always been low) in general lately since I got back to school and at this point in 9 months into this game I don’t have the willpower, energy or patience for Kirby.

Last edited:

Oz o:

Smash Journeyman
...I will say that I have no idea if this is permanent or not since I’ve actually changed it to :ultpichu: once after Komota missed the upset on Void in Frostbite
I don't that set was that good, honestly. Half the time, VoiD was killing himself. I do believe Kirby has a decent matchup against Pichu, but that wasn't the best from Kirby play.

RK is the best Kirby player I've seen, whether he just does locals or not:

Seriously, Kirby isn't even bad.

D

Deleted member

Idk 90 percent of the world has no clue what Smash is
99 percents Smash players are casual
Kirby is frustrating
But hes like a bamboo tree

He doesn’t grow fast but in a few years he will make bigger impacts

My Wario and Dedede are terrible
Kirby is my boi

Last edited by a moderator:

Oz o:

Smash Journeyman
This boyo lowkey tempting me to pick up Kirby The Gray.

Top Bottom