• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character analyses - Why do you love Pit?

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
We all have our reasons for playing our favourite characters; there are always things about them that make them our favourites. It can be as simple a thing as you like their voice actor and the way they style their hair to something as profound as their storylines touching you and feeling a deep personal connection with their challenges and struggles. Super Smash Bros. is a celebration of Ninendo's best and bravest and a true tribute to some of the greatest characters in all of gaming. Let's discuss why we love them specifically and what makes them just so great, yeah?

The Kid Icarus fandom, in my experience, is a pretty great one. Though relatively humble compared to other franchises, the series has left its mark and soared its way to cult classic status over the years: from the memorably intense difficulty levels of the original to the triumphant revival in the form of Uprising, the series has seen a lot over the years, though it hasn't always been terribly active. Pit has remained a constant, though - he's been the series' primary protagonist since way back when, always ready and willing to answer the call to adventure and aid his beloved Goddess of Light, Palutena. Through thick and thin, life and death, Pit has always been a true blue, dyed-in-the-wool hero. He's fought demons, robots, aliens, evil gods and has always emerged victorious, whatever the odds; he's literally been to hell and back and is always prepared to fight for the right - indeed, without question or pause, to quote the old song. He may have taken an extended leave of absence to prepare himself for future battles, but he made his glorious return to the spotlight in the Super Smash Bros. series, including sporting a trendy new look and wielding some otherwise familiar weapons with neat and shiny new glosses of paint. Love him or hate him, Pit is truly one of Nintendo's iconic stars, and he's here to stay.

That's what this thread is for. Let's talk about why we love our angelic buddy and what exactly it is about him that endears him to us. It can be anything: the character, the games, the storylines, the moveset - anything and everything that makes Pit worth playing as a character.

"Sorry to keep you waiting~!" <3

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
How about EVERYTHING about Kid Icarus Uprising? No? Fine.

He's that guy that would always be borderline annoying, but he was just perfectly balanced enough to stay on the side of being an endearing loveable character instead. The game just mixed in all those quirky jokes and it's charming dialogue, without completely losing it's entire seriousness. And that's just awesome.

As for anything before Uprising....eh. It was an entirely different franchise back then. I don't think it compares, personally. It's too different, and too many generations ago.

Tsutori

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2320-6305-8112
I started maining Pit ever since Brawl came out. I never heard of Kid Icarus before then, and I'm preeeetty sure I picked him just because he looked adorable and had wings, but he turned out to be my absolute best character. I also primarily used his dark color scheme, so you can imagine how hyped I was when Uprising was announced PLUS they made Dark Pit into an actual character xD

(Spoiler tagging for Uprising plot details)

Ever since Uprising gave him an actual personality to speak of, I've just grown to like him even more. He's hilarious, dorky, and incredibly dedicated to Palutena and his duties, willing to do anything ranging from battling Hades to just going out and buying groceries. His dream to be able to fly on his own one day makes him easy to relate to since we all have some kind of dream like that. He's so honorable that he'd burn up his wings to save Dark Pit, a character who he doesn't even have the best history with, risking not only his dream but also his life.

But the one thing that makes me appreciate his character the most is that he has hidden insecurities underneath his happiness. After Palutena gets taken over by the Chaos Kin, he becomes a huge wreck, having lost his greatest source of support. Even though he probably knows it's just the Chaos Kin's doing, hearing her reject him has a really negative impact on his psyche. He starts talking to himself as a way of trying to reassure himself. He implicitly tells Hades to go to hell, which he probably wouldn't do in a right state of mind. Yet he fights on and doesn't give in, even when it hurts. Having weakness a very, very human thing that people unfortunately look down on sometimes. I definitely felt his pain during that part of the game but didn't think of him any less; IMO it makes him a really good character.

I also adore Dark Pit's character equally, but this ain't his board.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Back in E3 2010, we finally found out what Sakurai was working on: The Kid Icarus revival to end all revivals. The man who made my then favorite and currently my most played game of all time, finally had free rein over a game. The characters, the story, the gameplay, it was allmost all from scratch. The concept itself was also crazy, being a shooter in only the sense that you're shooting, combined with RPG aspects, SSB style controls, and over one-hundred weapons. I knew from the start that it was going to be to shooters as SSB was to fighters. I was freakin' hyped.

I had only played MK up until that point. :p But I have never played as him in a real match since, nor any other character. What would drive me to this? It was around then I really got a close look at competitive SSB, and all of Pit's tricks. I decided to take my favorite game seriously, along with all of my other favorites. I can safely say that was the turning point in my gaming career.

KIU finally hit. It was everything I expected and more. I barely even need to say why KIU was so good, but there's a widely unknown aspect to it: Competitive play. You could say I was a part of KIU's glory days. People had yet to find anything remotely overcentralizing, and everybody had been coming up with crazy ideas of what'd be good. About four months after the game's release I had fused up my namesake, and I've used it in just about every round of KIU since then. Useless in a LvD with high-level players, but quite possibly one of the best for FFAs. It was decision time for me: FFA or LvD. FFA was definitely the wrong choice.

The meta progressed and progressed further away from the mode I was devoted to, slowly taking the lesser balanced modes to the breaking point a year later. 1v1s was the first to go, with the advent of the SCF Compact Arm with PD, BB and EC. It's best counter in a 1v1 was itself. Quickly, people realized it applied to FFA also. It was then I realized KIU wasn't something I would master. I can't do teamwork at all and any other mode was unbalanced beyond repair, being that they were never supposed to be balanced in the first place. Can't say it was an easy choice, but a quick one nonetheless: I chose to prepare for the upcoming Super Smash Bros.

I had plenty of time, I thought, to practice SSB. Sadly, Wi-Fi was dead at the time and it was hard finding opponents my level. For quite a while, I couldn't really find anything to be really competitive with. Thankfully when SSB4 was revealed it jumpstarted Brawl's online, so I could find players like me most of the time, and play for lulz on randoms. It wasn't ment to last, since the servers were shut down a while ago. I took that as my que to stop with Brawl.

I was bored again, just waiting for SSB4. Play this, play that... Can't say I've done much of anything fulfilling, gaming wise, until recently. I decided to take up an old offer, a clan invite for KIU. But it's basically only shown me how old and broken KIU has become. Less and less are playing, and KIU's lack of a governing body caused serious rifts to form. Banlists vary greatly from clan to clan, and a very serious gamekiller was discovered, albit it's existence is hardly even known. I really couldn't stick, and when possibly the best player I know had his data get corrupted, I decided that was it. Only a few weeks left...

Pit's been a major part of my gaming life for quite some time, and represents a big change in how I played. I love the character, I love how he plays, but above all else I love the games he's in. Almost all of my truly free time has gone to something related to him in the past few years. It's been great, but it ultimately feels like it's been a preparation for this, the upcoming SSB4. My dream to be a key player in SSB4 in some way. I'd really love to make my mark on the SSB community, and I plan on doing so with Pit.

Yeah, nobody gunna top this. :smirk:

D

Deleted member

I remember when I first got his trophy in Melee. "Will Pit ever fight again?" That ambiguous quote intrigued me for quite some time; what did it mean?
Then I saw the E3 2006 trailer for Brawl and I was greatly excited to see Pit! I thought, "Oh my god! He will fight again!"

I gave Pit a go in Brawl and I didn't like his moveset. I dunno why, but it's just a bit... well, off-putting? Or he was a bit hard to use in my opinion? Whatever the case may be, I can't use Pit for my life in Brawl and I still really can't.

The announcement of Uprising took me by surprise. I couldn't believe that Kid Icarus is finally getting revived, especially with Pit in Brawl's art style or even Sakurai working on the game. I wanted to get Uprising, but I stayed away from it because I heard bad things about the controls. I got it just last year so that I could prepare myself for Smash 4 as this game was going to have content from Uprising. (and it got a lot of it...)

When I first played the game, my fears were taken away when I started playing it. It plays like a 3D Smash Bros.! The controls are definitely bad, but I can easily get used to these controls. I also loved the atmosphere of the game, the characters, the weird enemies, the expanded myth and lore, the gameplay, the voice acting, and the jokes. It soon became my favorite game on the 3DS. In fact on certain days, I would pick up Uprising and try to complete some Chapters on Intensity 9 before I went to one of my classes in college.

So... what about Pit? When I played Uprising and how how he was characterized, he became my 2nd favorite video game character of all-time (only losing to Luigi). Could I classify Pit as a bit annoying? Yeah, but that kind of adds to his charm as a character. He has some of the most hilarious dialogue in the game ("Floor ice cream gives you health!") and I love how he sometimes references the old Kid Icarus game, especially mentioning how difficult the Underworld was.
Not only is he a great comedic character, but he has a bit of a serious side. Sure, he can be a bit goofy, but he is serious when he needs to be, especially when he is fighting against Hades or saving Palutena. I also love how devoted and loyal he is; he would literally do anything for Palutena and he fights for her. He doesn't quit until the job is done.
I find Pit to be a fantastic character. He's a very comedic, yet a very serious character willing to do anything for others.

As for this Smash game, I was iffy if I wanted to try out Pit again. I love what Pit is like in Project M and he's my second main in that, but will I like how he plays here?
Well, seeing him in the Smash Direct and seeing what buffs he got, I can safely say that Pit will be my second main. He looks absolutely incredible and I love the buffs and changes that he has been given.

So yeah. That's my reasoning on why I like Pit.

Tsutori

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2320-6305-8112
@ LancerStaff LancerStaff Huh, I didn't know you were into competitive KI:U play : O I was always curious about a competitive community for the game but never really got around to looking into it. Sad to hear that it's dying out, though : ( But I guess that doesn't stop anyone from just doing multiplayer for fun. I've got a Skyscraper Club that I really like going into matches with.

It's also interesting how many people find Uprising's controls difficult. I personally never had any trouble with them, and I also never used the stand the game came with xD; I know lefties were having real trouble with the circle pad, though.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
@ LancerStaff LancerStaff Huh, I didn't know you were into competitive KI:U play : O I was always curious about a competitive community for the game but never really got around to looking into it. Sad to hear that it's dying out, though : ( But I guess that doesn't stop anyone from just doing multiplayer for fun. I've got a Skyscraper Club that I really like going into matches with.

It's also interesting how many people find Uprising's controls difficult. I personally never had any trouble with them, and I also never used the stand the game came with xD; I know lefties were having real trouble with the circle pad, though.
Google AE Chatzy or MNK Chatzy, if you're interested. Quite a bit of it is on Miiverse also, but ever since they disabled screenshots all the competitive talk has been drowned out by the complaining.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Been of fan of Pit since the NES days, before Brawl, before Uprising, before Sakurai, before Captain N. I'm a 80's son. I was huge into Kid Icarus and Myth & Monsters. All I ever wanted for TWENTY FREAKIN' YEARS was another game.

You know how sad it was being a fanatic (not fan, fan-atic...like lun-atic) of a franchise that was solely two games? You cannot appreciate the fandom I have for Kid Icarus. So, yeah, dare I say I felt entitled to main Pit when Brawl happened. It was the LEAST Nintendo could do until we finally got a third title/franchise revival.

This is not a fair-weather fandom for me. I was a fan back since the 1st game. Glad to have others on board, regardless of your reasons. The more support, the more hopeful I am we'll get another Kid Icarus before I'm flipping 40.

So, I mained Pit in Brawl :p

kro_

Smash Apprentice
From someone who has put a lot of time into Uprising, the game is NOT very unbalanced. A few weapons rise above others, but not many. As for powers, Aries is the only gamebreaking one, though I'd get rid of slipshot, homing boost and even lightweight if I could. Also, remove the shot range modifier and Eyetracks+Gemini Orbitars. This would male the game very balanced.

Even then, only a few weapons can abuse homing in this game. Predator Cannon, Angel Bow, Ninja Palm and Eyetracks+Gemini, and maybe a couple other weapons. There are a lot of counters in this game. Anything with good homing and sky jump can stop melee users, Brawler Claws shut down eyetracks, Reflect Barrier makes Magnus Clubs OHKO themselves if they don't have Aries, and Predator is easily stopped by weapons with good cancellation or fast charge speed. Most people are good sports and stay away from these weapons, so it's not a big issue. Online is still thriving, and with the right mods, almost any weapon in the game is more than usable.

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
I was pretty indifferent to Pit in Brawl and found his English voice very annoying. But then I saw the trailer for Uprising and went out and bought a 3DS and the game and played it until I wore through my screen. I just love everything about the characterisation and he's masterfully voiced.

And so cute I can hardly stand it!

Ikieri

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5069-4824-9515
The reason Pit became my favourite character was because KIU came out exactly on my Bday; I assumed it was fate. Then while playing it, I reached up to Dark Pit's stage and Palutena said this: "Pit, are your wings balding?" Weirdly enough I have a condition called alopecia and that's when he really started to connect with me. He's sweet, charming, and endearing. Till then I've always been maining Pit.

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
Ever since the announce of Pit appearing in Brawl, I immediately fell in love with the character. Over the years, I've watched so much anime that I wanted to main a character that has an "Anime" appearance to him. Watching the Disney Peter Pan movie also contributed to the fact that I loved Pit so much. As far as the hair, he looked so much like Sora from Kingdom Hearts that I just couldn't pass it up, and his voice fits Pit perfectly. If they kept his old school appearance, I probably would not feel the same way for him, but I'm glad Nintendo made a smart decision to drastically change Pits overall outlook appearance. If only they were to make an anime series of Kid Icarus, things would be golden.

Most people that I talk to think I'm a teenager, even though I'm 26. I'll be walking into bars, and I'm constantly being carded each time I go in. They don't card anyone else, but me. The reason I look so young is because I often walk around with a smile, along with a good sense of humor to make people laugh. Not to mention the fact that I never walk around with any hair on my face, which makes look 10 times younger than the average 26-year old man. There are times my maturity level falls more on the teenage spectrum, which brought me closer to being more like Pit. For the most part, I'm a happy-go-lucky kid who gets by with no stress and can do pretty much whatever I want, like Pit who can fly pretty much anywhere with wings. Often times, I would compare myself as Pit because whenever theres a pretty woman working with me (teacher, therapist, etc.), whether she is a few years older than me, or even 10 years, I consider her to be "Lady Palutena". In other words, I do what she says, like how Pit will always do what Lady Palutena says.

Kid Icarus Uprising is my all time favorite game to play on the 3DS, not because of the awesome 3D visual effects, along with trying to complete the 101% (in which I did) but listening to their constant bickering at one another always cracks me up! Every night, I would stay up very late trying to accomplish some of the hard and rigorous achievements, and the reward felt beautiful. For a month an a half, I spent nothing, but playing this game. I could not wait to jump right back into to playing this game, whether it would be from trying to finish my meals ASAP, getting off from work, finishing up school work, etc. It would be awesome if Nintendo can make a Kid Icarus game for the Wii U.

Here is proof that I completed the game 101%

upload_2014-9-22_21-31-59.png

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
I don't have time to go into a lengthy description, but I'll put some thoughts into bullet points.

• He caught my eye in the Brawl trailer. A bow and two swords? Oh my gosh, Legolas is in Smash Bros!
  • Ever since then, Pit has been my Brawl main. His mixture of close combat and ranged attacks have made him by best Brawl character.
  • Kid Icarus: Uprising came out and blew me out of the water. It did something that I wasn't too sure that Nintendo could do- it made great characters. The personalities were fantastic and I laughed all the way through it.
  • Pit is my third favorite video game character of all time (and favorite Nintendo character) because he really made me reevaluate Nintendo and its characters as a whole and he is the perfect hero. He's cheery, funny, dorky, nerdy, made fun off, can take a joke, and is undyingly loyal. The Chaos Kin arc really made me feel for him adn ultimately pushed the angel to stardom in my eyes.
  • We went through a rough spot in Project M though, where I couldn't quite figure out his recovery and kept mixing up his moves with Charizard's (really, one had a Side B glide and the other had a Down B one?), but I still enjoyed using him (but couldn't use him well).
  • In Smash 4, I still like him a lot. I play better with Dark Pit, but switching back over to Pit feels natural.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Oh, Pit. I remember that Melee trophy, curious of the last statement, but didn't think of it much after reading it.

Then the Brawl trailer happened. Pit in the trailer alone sold me, along with his weapon becoming to short blades, which actually is a first in Smash to have a character with 2 blades. He actually was my favorite one in the trailer too.
Upon watching Japanese gameplay vids of Pit (because they often get games earlier than us), him having a fairly nice recovery, a projectile, and reflectors just made me like him even more. Keep in mind that I was a Melee Bowser that didn't know anything about the competitive scene at all til I watched YT vids during Brawl times, so naturally I had the mindset to find a way to stop the campy routines. Pit kinda filled the spot with his versatility, and I started to use him once I got the game on day 1 (after using Bowser in training mode). But anyways, I've mained Pit since the beginning of Brawl, and that's over 6 years now, and I didn't wanna stop there. Shoutouts to Pit being amazing in some of the SSE cutscenes, especially the gliding part.

And here came Kid Icarus: Uprising. During my Brawl Pit times, seeing that Uprising trailer in 2010's e3 online made me more excited for Pit. That game was the sole reason for me getting a 3ds, and I still stood by my words. I was all over waiting for updates of the game, waiting for more and more, eagerly waiting for it to come out. When it came out, you bet I was playing and enjoying the game. It made me like Pit tons more than I did back then. With all the funny and toughness, as well as a sad moment, I had to like him even more. Poor angel been through a lot, but still able to take care of things. You can't deny the silly banters he has with Palutena and Viridi either.

Pit for Smash 4, with improvements? You bet I'm still hyped for him, and he brought over a few Uprising-inspired moves with him as well! I'll be happy to continue maining Pit when the game comes out.

The thing with Pit is that I felt that he was one of the characters Nintendo needed. With such an amazing personality along with being quite chatty and having great and adorable looks, he just had to be my choice. The Kid Icarus franchise being revived starting with Pit being playable in Brawl was a great choice, and I hope Nintendo continues to treat that amazing angel well. And I could imagine Pit being flattered if he ever learned how to read all this, which is another part of his personality that I like.

Orchestrafanboy19

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Orchestrafanboy
3DS FC
1435-5592-4731
I don't think I could say more than everyone else has.
I liked him in Brawl. His bow turning into blades was what I thought to be the most creative idea ever at the time. I also liked the role he played in the Subspace Emissary. However, I found him hard to play. He lacked the power that I love in characters of Smash. So I always had a soft spot for him, but never quite got good at him.
Then Uprising came out. I thought it was cool, but I didn't get it at first. It wasn't until Chuggaaconroy did his LP of the game that I truly fell in love with this character. I was always fond of Sora from the Kingdom Hearts series and his fun personality, Pit reminded me of him, so I instantly clung to him. I laughed at all of Pit's jokes, I agreed with all his statements, and I admired his undying loyalty. I bought a 2DS specifically to play this game and I don't regret it.
Come the Chaos Kin segments of the game and my appreciation for Pit quickly rocketed him into my heart and my favorite video game characters list. I was so blown away by him arguing his loyalty to Lady Palutena and his sacrifice for Pittoo.
I grew so attached to Pit that I vowed to try him out in Smash for Wii U and 3DS. The Direct showing his changes cemented him as my main. When I saw the Three Sacred Treasures as his Final Smash, I was speechless.
This is a character that rapidly grabbed my attention and I'm thankful to Sakurai for giving him the revival he deserved. I often wonder what Pit would be like if he were introduced in Melee like he was planned to be. I can safely say that the wait was well worth it. Kid Icarus Uprising is, at this moment in time, my favorite game ever of all time. I can't wait to main Pit and to get good with this character that has made his way into my heart. I also look forward to trying out his twin, but I'll save that for his forum.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
In Brawl, Pit's style fit me like a glove. As someone who's played all the Smash games but has never been that good, Pit (as well as Ike) felt like a very accessible character for me and he had good tools with an awesome projectile, good recovery, & decent spacing ability. But something about him in Brawl made me dislike the character, either the voice or his general dickishness, that combined with his difficulties with KOing opponents (barring a gimp) and me never having played a Kid Icarus game before made me gravitate more towards Ike as my main.

Years later in early 2012, I started to see some of the Uprising trailers. The dialogue, the self-aware humor, the visuals, the gameplay....absolutely everything about this game got me hyped and sold me on the 3DS. And let me tell you, this game completely turned my opinion of Pit around. He was no longer this arrogant little dweeb, he was now a hilarious, courageous, lovable, highly optimistic, and absolutely adorable character and I fell in love with him. His interactions with Palutena and the rest of the cast are easily the highlight and Uprising probably the best cast of characters in a Nintento game period.

Now we come back to Smash Bros. and Pit is looking buffed from his Brawl counterpart. No glide and worse arrows hurt but now he looks much more fun in close quarter, his other specials all look awesome, and he looks like he'll have a much better time killing. When I get the full 3DS game propers Pit as the star of the game that sold me on the 3DS in the first place will have the honor of being the very first character I will play as. I'm looking very forward to finally getting to try Pit out a week from now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom