• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character analyses - Why do you love Lucina?

Duzzzyy

Sing me your lullaby~
NNID
Duzzzyy
Because of Shield Breaker>Taunt>Fully charged Shield Breaker combo.
And of course, she has a personality I adore, and the looks to match, while having the third most enjoyable playstyle and moveset of the full roster so it was a lucky match.

There's really not much left to say that haven't been said already by others, I'd just be more or less copy pasting at that point.

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
Lucina is such a better female character than the likes of Peach and Zelda, who are portrayed as being weak to Mario and Link. She handles her own, and something I think that people who complain about the lack of fair female representation in video games should look at Fire Emblem, because in Fire Emblem, there are so many interesting and strong female characters, just like their male counterparts. That's why I dislike Peach and Zelda but love Lucina and Samus.

McKnightlíght

Getting back into the dunk game
NNID
EvanMcKnight
3DS FC
4399-0018-3572
I like Lucina because she's in a game with Gregor.

But seriously, Lucina is too cool for school and I really like using her in Awakening and in Smash 4. Even if she doesn't have an absurd Russian accent.

ChibiValshe

Hold your breath with me
3DS FC
2723-9690-1869
It actually took me awhile to like Lucina. When I saw her in Awakening, my initial thoughts were, "Oh great, a Marth wannabe. Just what the series needed." But then she shattered all my preconceived notions and made me realize just what a wonderful character she really was. She is by far my favorite video game character of all time. I'm not joking.

Also I have an insanely huge crush on her, but that's beside the point.

LoreLes

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LoreLes
I liked her in Awakening and it's just cool to have her here, even though I don't use her.

AufWiedersehen

Smash Cadet
NNID
AufWiedersehen
I'm on my third playthrough of Awakening. She was my daughter in a previous playthrough and my wife in my current playthrough. This comes with the added bonus of passing down either Rightful King or Aether to Morgan, depending on if Lucina is your daughter or wife. That aside, I really enjoy her story and her interactions with other characters, and I just prefer using her over Marth in Smash even in spite of what supposed tier lists tell me.

Also, did you know that Lucina's English voice actress is Lust from Full Metal Alchemist and Keiko Yukimura from Yu Yu Hakusho? And that her Japanese voice actress is Sasha Braus from Attack on Titan?

ChibiValshe

Hold your breath with me
3DS FC
2723-9690-1869
I'm on my third playthrough of Awakening. She was my daughter in a previous playthrough and my wife in my current playthrough. This comes with the added bonus of passing down either Rightful King or Aether to Morgan, depending on if Lucina is your daughter or wife. That aside, I really enjoy her story and her interactions with other characters, and I just prefer using her over Marth in Smash even in spite of what supposed tier lists tell me.

Also, did you know that Lucina's English voice actress is Lust from Full Metal Alchemist and Keiko Yukimura from Yu Yu Hakusho? And that her Japanese voice actress is Sasha Braus from Attack on Titan?
I actually know Laura Bailey from voicing the female protagonist in Persona 3 Portable, but either way, both of Lucina's voice actresses are phenomenal to me.

Lucina's figma figure is absolutely gorgeous too. Smiling Lucina stole my heart!:roll:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I never felt the desire to marry Lucina in Awakening. I also never really identified with Robin, which might be related. However, I indentified with Chrom, somewhat. Perhaps for that reason, the affection I feel towards Lucina's character was like a fatherly instinct.

No video game had ever made me cry before, but Awakening's "Marth No More" scene made me cry big, sloppy tears. And again the second time! It just makes me want to hug and comfort Lucina :)

I don't play Lucina or Marth too seriously in Smash, but I do pick her from time to time. Even though she's basically a weaker version of Marth, I love her character too much to pick Marth over her.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
It actually took me awhile to like Lucina. When I saw her in Awakening, my initial thoughts were, "Oh great, a Marth wannabe. Just what the series needed." But then she shattered all my preconceived notions and made me realize just what a wonderful character she really was. She is by far my favorite video game character of all time. I'm not joking.

Also I have an insanely huge crush on her, but that's beside the point.
Same...

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
I know substantically nothing about Lucina's character.I do like that she's voiced by Laura Bailey.Best part is her playing identical to marth. ^^

1FC0

Smash Lord
Lucina is such a better female character than the likes of Peach and Zelda, who are portrayed as being weak to Mario and Link. She handles her own, and something I think that people who complain about the lack of fair female representation in video games should look at Fire Emblem, because in Fire Emblem, there are so many interesting and strong female characters, just like their male counterparts. That's why I dislike Peach and Zelda but love Lucina and Samus.
Fire Emblem is a horrible series because there is a severe lack of robots in it.
Nintendo is pretty racist because they almost only feature organic characters in their series and even in series where there is a robot he often plays a small support role for a bunch of carbon based characters.

Smash only has 2 playable robots and robots are thus heavily underrepresented in Smash.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Still a bit mad she doesn't have Her own Final Smash
And the Mask, I want to keep the mask ON sometimes please

But I love Lucina with all my heart

BeetleJoJo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kingcrimson2012
3DS FC
1821-9930-6886
She's a great unit in Awakening and I find it fun to play as her in Sm4sh.

Funny enough, She was the 1st Newcomer I KNEW I would play as.

Kamui Nohr

Smash Journeyman
I don't. I play as her using the Tharja color palette because Tharja isn't in the game. Have to admit that playing as Lucina is nicer than playing as Marth, who keeps looking like a girl when he is clearly supposed to be male (This opinion is subjective) in each Smash iteration he appears in.

What I'm trying to say is FEMALE CHARACTERS WITH SWORDS!

Last edited:

aBlackCat

Smash Rookie
I dunno, i like tomboys and she sort of fits the bill. Wish she had the short hair costume.

Liyrex

Smash Apprentice
Daein (Or Albany, NY whatever makes more sense)
NNID
Liyrex
3DS FC
3265-5244-3896
Ive been a Marth main since 2001, but Lucina...oh Lucina. First she actually speaks English second her design is so beautiful, the parallel falchion is my favorite sword of all time (Sorry Link) and it was her taunts and personality that made me convert from marth who in Sm4sh just looks so Kwaii. Hes kinda lost his edge that he had in Melee. I miss the tipper. But i would miss bae more

A17

Smash Ace
NNID
Okrapaeli
If the question were to be pointed at me, I would have to rephrase the question to: "Why do I love Marth?"

To answer that, it's because he has a lot of stuff I adapted a playstyle from in the Brawl days. Basically, my game is mostly short-hop aerial zoning (even though that isn't working out too well, but screw it- that's the reason why I liked Smash in the first place). Marth's got a sword giving me the advantage of a disjointed hitbox. He has plenty of tools I can enjoy using: a quick attack, a multi-hitting sequence of moves to rack up damage, a quick smash attack, a move that can spike, an Up-B that has a hitbox and a large physical displacement. As a bonus, he also has a counter and tool to crush shields. I cannot complain about any of this.

Now that all being said, what makes me like Lucina more? She's prettier to look at.

Yup.

I've never liked any of Marth's colour options ever. I can say there's at least 3 or 4 colours I could happily switch between with Lucina any day. When certain combination of colours meet, it's very pleases the artist in me. You bet your bottom it matters.

I dunno, i like tomboys and she sort of fits the bill. Wish she had the short hair costume.
I wish her down taunt was a way to toggle between putting on and taking off her mask. That would've been baller.

Last edited:

Hockeyfan44

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shockwv478
While Robin is my main, Lucina really has come on as among my top 4 fighters to use, along with Paluntena and Captain Falcon. She's an absolute badass with her sword, and she's rather quick as well. All of a sudden, I really should consider getting Fire Emblem Awakening, and I want to see for myself just how good it actually is.

Streamline

Smash Rookie
She looks cool, is a sword fighter and has a rather fast and responsive gameplay.

Troykv

Smash Master
I don't love Lucina... But I prefer her over Chrom in the game anyday

Last edited:

MoosyDoosy

Smash Ace
All of the people here have anime avatars. :)

I like Lucina because of FEA and she reminds me of Nowi who was the wife of Male Avatar. I honestly chose Nowi for Galeforce and for a competitive FEA team, but I like the fact that she turned out to be a lot more chill than I thought.

Troykv

Smash Master
All of the people here have anime avatars. :)

I like Lucina because of FEA and she reminds me of Nowi who was the wife of Male Avatar. I honestly chose Nowi for Galeforce and for a competitive FEA team, but I like the fact that she turned out to be a lot more chill than I thought.
Well... My avatar is a Micaiah's picture xD...

And... I'm now thinking about... If Smash 5 comes... Lucina will get cut?

DownsideC

Smash Cadet
NNID
Audiohades50
3DS FC
3797-8964-1796
umm...it's obvious, cuz Lucina Bae.
Well, I just love the way she plays, people ask me why do I main Lucina and not Marth everyday...and I always say the same things,"Although Lucina's moveset is exactly the same as Marth's, her play style is different. I'm not comfortable with on how you play with's Marth's tipper. I like to rush in and get as many hits as I can with having a distance certain away from my opponent to hit a perfect S-smash. I wanna be able to rack up alot of damage, and quickly get through the match. Plus, I just really like Lucina better than Marth."

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
umm...it's obvious, cuz Lucina Bae.
Well, I just love the way she plays, people ask me why do I main Lucina and not Marth everyday...and I always say the same things,"Although Lucina's moveset is exactly the same as Marth's, her play style is different. I'm not comfortable with on how you play with's Marth's tipper. I like to rush in and get as many hits as I can with having a distance certain away from my opponent to hit a perfect S-smash. I wanna be able to rack up alot of damage, and quickly get through the match. Plus, I just really like Lucina better than Marth."
Lucina is not a rush down character. Both share the same data in almost every regard except for sword mechanics and other minor details like sword reach (Lucina'sis slightly less due to her character model only by a few pixels; doesn't really matter in most cases). They have the same walk speed, run speed, etc. etc. In other words, both characters have to be played the same to achieve optimal success. In fact, by playing Lucina as rush down you are going to be punished more so than Marth. She has more hitlag on her moves when compared to Marth's sour-spots. Both characters are reactionary. That being said, Lucina's awesome and will always be my main as well. I just like her design more but I know her flaws so I find a way around them.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Lucina is ****ing broken in Awakening. Literally the only reason I like her.

Timmay08

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Timmay08
It was kind of a happy accident. I was playing Awakening when I wondered,
"wonder if I could hook up with my best mate's daughter..."

So I did.

I went through all of the support conversations with MU/Lucina and I guess two things popped out at me.

1. She seemed normal. Unlike a lot of the other characters in the game, she was pretty down to Earth. She wasn't overly bubbly like Cynthia, nor was she overly reserved like Gerome. She just seems to encapsulate everything about a normal person and reacts like a normal person to everything. People say her character is boring but I feel that not everyone can be exciting or ravishing.

2. She is mysterious. I'm really attracted to any mystery story like detective stories, so I was a sucker for Lucina really. There's something about princesses who cross dress in order to save the world that really speak to me (see Melee/Brawl main).

It really developed into me liking her the best as a fictional character. There was admittedly a time where I had a "waifu period" where she dominated my backgrounds and I'd actively look for pictures of her online but even though that degree of obsession over her has come and gone, I still enjoy seeing artwork or cosplay of Lucina because she still remains my favourite fictional character.

Oh yeah, and I'm also a sucker for blue hair.

TimeChain

Smash Apprentice
NNID
777brawlfan
3DS FC
4484-9816-4641
She's one of my best units and also one of my favorite characters in Awakening. She's strong, kind and cute with a pretty sad back story. I also really love the support conversations with the other characters specifically with her family.

She's also one of my mains in Smash 4. Her moveset is basically the same as Marth's, who was already one of my mains so of course I was gonna main her. It really depends on my mood on whether to play as one of the two. Most of the time it's Lucina because not worrying about getting the right spot on your sword can feel pretty good sometimes and the fact that it's, well, Lucina. XD

Swampertrulz

Smash Lord
NNID
Swampertrulz
3DS FC
3883-9003-2472
I love her personality, it's what got me into Fire Emblem: Awakening. Also, I love her playstyle in ssb4 even though it's like Marth's

Ema

Smash Rookie
This could really sound stupid, but I love Lucina because of another character. I'm a huge fan of Alisha from Tales of Zestiria. http://puu.sh/iP5M0/9b70e53350.png

And when I saw the blond version of Lucina I decided to main her. Since then, I just love Lucina and my "love" for her has quickly evolved from "You remind me of that character" to "I just love you for what you actually are". Because, she's really fun to play with, she's cute, the best waifu in the game and on top of that, I love her "Father, I won" ♥
I know I can be weird when I love a character :p

LucinaNab1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SSB311007Bond
I just have the feeling that Lucina's current buffs are really helping her out. The second swing of her down smash, her jabs are good, even her back airs are nice. I see people do a lot of talking, but at the level of people I play, she just feels so much nicer and better. No human on this planet is perfect, even the best players make mistakes, and every player has a weakness that can be exploited. Lucina is quick enough to take advantage of exploits, be it spacing problems, gimping an opponent, or come what may. All this time I've still been confident keeping her as my main, I manage a 70% FG win rate and things can only get better.

After all, who says perfect spacing is the only way to win? The best players don't only win when they're playing their best, they find ways to turn around losing fights and come out on top... like I have done.

CNMNE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CNMNE
3DS FC
2895-8158-1141
Because she's Marth, just without broken tippers.

LucinaNab1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SSB311007Bond
One of the non performance related reasons I really like Lucina is because I feel Smash lacks female characters in general. A friend of mine agrees with me, so I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels this way. Lucina is strong, cool, and uses a style I've been used to for over 13 years. I don't care how many "flat chest" jokes I see, I'll always support her.

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
I play Lucina because its a change from marth no tipper plus quicker damage and killing options like a neutral air into sideair is a good combo starter at the begging of the match plus I'm a "swordsmen"
In smash.

LucinaNab1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SSB311007Bond
I can definitely relate to the "swordsman" feeling, for sure. I like the wide arc attacks and good range, and I'm not the type of player that feels I have to use any kind of projectile, so I sacrifice those for speed... something I feel Lucina does well.

Top Bottom